Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorsmelliott
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited

So i'm planning on doing some bike touring/camping trips this summer and work up to a cross country trip next summer. I was wondering if anyone has any good suggestions as far as camping equipment goes. I plan on mostly stealth camping as well as preparing all my own food. As of now i have no camping equipment and have been trying to decide on some things.

tent or hammock? - i found a company that makes these specialized hammocks for about the same price as a tent but i feel like its too good to be true. hennessyhammock
    Stove - my biggest concern i guess is availability of fuel on long trips. ive been thinking about making my own. ive seen some DIY denatured alcohol stoves this one looking the best
    can stove

if anyone has any tips for trips like this that would be awesome.I’m the paté on the Universal cracker. I’m the grout holding your shower tiles on. I’m out of the saddle, sprinting up that hill and eating glazed donut bracelets off the right arm of Jesus.
    I have a Hennessy Hammock! You should definitely get one, and then we'll rock the hammock tents together. The upsides: under 2lbs, no need for even ground. The downsides: trees required, and it could get chilly on the underside.

I have the most basic stove; it's just a burner that screws to the top of a kerosene can, with a valve. Super lightweight. Also, I'm way into the idea of bike camping.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008

i would say go with the hammock.

as for stoves, go for an msr whisperlight international. it can use a lot of different fuels including diesel i believe.

also, never rule out dumpster diving.
    My brother has a camping hammock and is pretty stoked on it. So i recommend.im the mad midnight bomber what bombs at midnigh! yeah baby yeah!
    I did a big trip once and brought all of the things one would use for backpacking. . .
    That was a big mistake and made riding unbearable, especially when getting dusted by this 60 year old man who had more or less circumnavigated N. America with 1 bag, a bedroll, and a spare tire (he was riding tubulars).
    There was only one night where I needed all of that stuff.
    -robot[all your base are belong to us]
    my experience first with bike camping was very similar. i brought the same gear i would on a hike and the necessary bike tools which added about 20lbs to my bike.

if you have the money and time buy some lightweight gear and plan to sleep under the stars or a light tarp, there are also a few ultralight tents that incorporate your bike as a tent pole which lighten ups the load.

mos def a good time!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby

the best camping stove i have come across, and the fuel is tiny.
    there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008 edited

I prefer liquid, multi-fuel stoves:

-robot

[edit]
    Oh, and my friend Brandon, who won't join this forum for some damned reason, made is own stove, and did a long ass tour with it no problem.
    [/edit]

[edit]
    After watching the video, I'm convinced DIY stove is a good plan.
    [/edit][all your base are belong to us]
    I've done a lot of touring the past years and think there is no better way of traveling. Touring gets sprayed about a lot on here, but I want this to be the year that people actually do some touring! I'll happily join some smaller ones, but will be riding Edmonton to Jackson, WY for a chunk of the summer.

General: you'll be happier the lighter you go. unless you're on a mountain bike tour you can buy food nearly every day and never carry that extra weight. the west coast tour we did last summer was without a stove. we had a lot of fun going out in all the little towns. cost more money that way, but we didn't spend a dime on camping until the 12th night - all rogue camping in beautiful spots. i've liked not having any real route in mind - much more fun to have ending/intermediate destinations and planning on the go.

Panniers: I spent the money on waterproof Ortlieb Back Rollers and have liked them. Very simple design, no extra pockets, lots of space.

Stove: I plan on carrying my Sierra woodburning stove this summer. powered by one double A a little fan keeps it working beautifully and you never need to worry about fuel, finicky performance. i've done several backpacking trips with it and a friend did entire PCT and rode from Arizona to Ushuia, Argentina with it.

Sleeping bag: down, 30-40 degree, so compressible, comfortable

Shelter: fuck it, overhangs in church entrances, gazebos in town parks, baseball dugouts. my girlfriend wanted a tent last year so we brought a single wall, light tent; I'm planning on Megamid this summer if bugs won't be too bad

Pad: worth the money and space to get a big agnes

bike stuff: pump, two tubes, multi-tool, tiny thing of lube

clothes: shorts/shirt, one extra top layer, long underwear bottoms, one windbreaker, two pairs bike socks

the way people end up with heavy backpacks/panniers is with all the knick knacks. people insist on bringing a big pocket knife, toiletries and all these little items that slowly end up weighing a lot

have fun!
    !!!!!!!![all your base are belong to us]
    how the hell do you guys get all this time off and afford these trips?there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    ^Exactly. I'm going to do a few weekend trips this summer. Leave Saturday morning, bike all day, camp in NH or wherever that night, bike back.

Endurance's list is good and comprehensive. But, really, a hammock tent is much more compressible than a sleeping pad and you won't need a sleeping pad with one. I'm debating the sleeping bag in favor of winter-weight base layers and a space blanket or two. Basically, if I can't fit it in my messenger bag, it's not coming with me.Word nerd
    ^ right on rob.

i have been wanting to to the AT for years now but having a job is not making it possible, i do want some advice on how some of you guys pull off these cross country trips and still survive financially??there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008

i guess it depends on the job... endurancenirvana has an outdoorsy gig so i'm sure that it works out better for him..

also if you're in school, probably allows for lots of time off.

if you plan it right and save your money i can't imagine it would be more costly that a short vacation with hotel etc...
    ^ makes sense, i should just bank some sick and vacations days!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    Yeah, I'm lucky and have four weeks of vacation a year, but this summer is because I will be leaving my position and starting grad school in the fall. I work a lot of weekends and use the comp days to make three and four day weekends. It's amazing what you can do in New England with even a three day weekend - just don't be a housedog when you can get away! A lot of my trips are through work, too.

Money-wise, I figure I can do most trips comfortably for less than $20/day once I get the plane ticket. I'll splurge on local restaurants, but end up saving a lot by not buying alchohol and never staying in hotels. I've got nice bikes, but I never spend money dolling them up which is I'm guessing where a lot of people's money here goes.

I'm done with it, but I worked in wilderness therapy in Utah for two years before coming to Boston. It's a dream job in many ways if anybody is looking - I worked 8 days on then got 6 days off. Tons of time to go skiing/biking/climbing, and you were backpacking for work. I got health insurance, three weeks paid time off (in addition to all those off-weeks), and $34k/year by the time I left. I lived out of my truck, paid a cell phone bill and auto insurance, and the rest was money to play with. I think I ended up saving 50% of what I made there. You could get hired there today if you have any backcountry and/or youth experience. You work with some hard kids, though.
    ^ good call

once it warms up i bust out of work at noon on fridays to head up north and hide in the woods!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    warm up? Now's the good time to be up north with no people there
    that is very truethere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorsmelliott

what kind of bike do you ride ride on really long tours? I've been thinking about saving up for a long haul trucker or a kogswell for long cross country rides. I'm not sure how long i could ride fixed for day after day doing long descents and climbs.I’m the paté on the Universal cracker. I’m the grout holding your shower tiles on. I’m out of the saddle, sprinting up that hill and eating glazed donut bracelets off the right arm of Jesus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

i was planning on riding my serotta across the country starting around now, but it got stolen. pretty much i just planned on getting a rather large carradice saddle bag, and smelling like ass for 2 months. oh, and credit card debt.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsmelliott
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2008 edited

the credit card debt part is something i'm trying to avoid. I'm thinking that im going to save some money and make my own saddle bag and panniers.I’m the paté on the Universal cracker. I’m the grout holding your shower tiles on. I’m out of the saddle, sprinting up that hill and eating glazed donut bracelets off the right arm of Jesus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsmelliott
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008

word i would totally be down to do something. im trying to figure out what im doing for an apartment come june 1st when my lease is up and i also need to figure out work situation.I’m the paté on the Universal cracker. I’m the grout holding your shower tiles on. I’m out of the saddle, sprinting up that hill and eating glazed donut bracelets off the right arm of Jesus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsmelliott
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009

Hellooo there everybody. I haven't posted on here in a while because I've been busy with school... I have survey for those of you who have been on bike tours. Its part of my research for a class I am doing. I would greatly appreciate if some of you would fill it out. Only 10 questions!
    Click Here to take surveyI’m the paté on the Universal cracker. I’m the grout holding your shower tiles on. I’m out of the saddle, sprinting up that hill and eating glazed donut bracelets off the right arm of Jesus.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2009

I am really eager to do some touring this summer, even if it's only a few weekends.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009 edited

smelliott:the credit card debt part is something i'm trying to avoid. I'm thinking that im going to save some money and make my own saddle bag and panniers.

I'm working on a DIY carridice saddlebag project myself. I was planning to do a canvas or ripstop nylon exterior, tyvek interior, and use corrugated sign plastic insert to stiffen things up. Currently mocking out shapes to figure out what will fit best without running into my legs.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    ^Howl, where are you getting the materials for this? I have a project in mind that uses a lot of the same materials.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

Ripstop nylon- from pants. Tyvek- fedex envelopes. Coroplast- yard signs. I do need to buy some buckles and nylon straps.

If you want to start with new materials- seattle fabrics is pretty much the best source.

I've been playing with the tyvek for a bit- it's quite strong.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorChicagoKarl

My fav DIY touring story is when some fools on their sweet fixies thought they could roll and zip tied some racks to the track drop outs.
    several miles in epic fail and you're sol.

when you make a survey on touring, specify per amount of days.
    you pack much differently for a 3 day vs a 10 day
    but i guess not much from a 10 day to a 10+
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2009

Tyvek is awsome. I've used it to make a kite. It makes a wonderful ultralight groundcloth for under-tent use. My father has been messing with an home-made ultralight Tyvek tarp/tent contraption that seems to work ok and weighs like 1/2 lb.

As for stoves I have a homemade alcohol stove that I made using an old cat food can. After many trials between my father and I these cans were the best design we found (also the simplest) I'll try to snap a photo of it soon and post it up. It is so light, and when combined with a wind shield it boils water pretty fast. The fuel is also easily available without having to find a specialty store since it is just denatured alcohol.

I'm also down for some weekend bike tours this spring/summer.

When we still had snow down here, I really wanted to bike to Bluehills with my pack and snowshoes. then lock my bike up someplace in the woods or something and climb/showshoe up and through blue hills till I could stealthily spend the night then head back and bike back to my apt. I dropped the ball though and waited and now we don't have snow.There's always money in The Banana Stand
    we now have the snow! I'm gonna do blue hills camping fridayTake-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorT_M
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2009 edited

Not that it should necessarily stop you, but it's suppose to be in the high 30s Friday and may rain Friday night...

and not to spill the beans, but at this point I don't think you need to be all that stealthy...
    hmmm I thought it was snow we were supposed to get friday, whatever more fun is the way i see itTake-off everything but your rainboots
    Alexi will be field-testing my Hennessey hammock. I expect a full report on the Frigid Ass Factor (FAF) come Monday. Apparently you can affix an emergency blanket to the underside so you don't lose heat that way.Word nerd
    emergency blanket + therma rest + 15 degree bag should be fine
    if not I'm bringing lot's of hand warmersTake-off everything but your rainboots
    •  
      CommentAuthormelange
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2009

At the risk of some thread resurrection (hey better than starting a new one right) I thought I would post some cool touring pics for a trip my friend plans to do next September (that someone else has already done). I may be lucky enough to join. He wants to go from Yunnan Province in China (borders Laos/Vietnam) to Tibet. Here is a rough Google map of the area.

^ I am absolutely stunned by this landscape.

Links to the forum (cyclist.cn) where these came from (sorry, in Chinese, and the site is slow, but the pics are worth the wait):
    http://bbs.cyclist.cn/thread-42231-1-1.html
    http://bbs.cyclist.cn/thread-26231-1-1.html
    stoves are useless (except mine. buy mine. from me). sleeping under the stars is romantic fantasy when it rains 100% of the time. and the amish are fkkn jerks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2009

howl:Ripstop nylon- from pants. Tyvek- fedex envelopes. Coroplast- yard signs. I do need to buy some buckles and nylon straps.

If you want to start with new materials- seattle fabrics is pretty much the best source.

I've been playing with the tyvek for a bit- it's quite strong.

For tyvek in bulk, take it from construction sites, they are usually throwing it out
    I found some ripstop nylon in large pieces from an old ski baghttp://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    hell yes...i've been wondering where to get some air jordans for awhile now
    ^Deleted the spam comment. </moderator>Word nerd
    Hey, sorry to post this twice but just want to make sure the message is out there and I'm pretty much a Luddite when it comes to this kind of stuff (message board etiquette I guess?)

So;

So a couple friends of mine and myself are going on a ride from Brookline to Brooklyn this summer, and we want you to come! We're leaving in early July, not sure when (I'll let yall know, it's not exactly the easiest thing for me to take of a flippant week of work, either) and taking an EASY RIDE over the course of about a week. Plan is to expect the full week for riding, then a few days to see respective (or collaborative!) heads in New York, stay a few days and truck/train it back over about 3 days (so yeah, like 11 days total for this trip) If you are interested let me know. These pallies, [Bryce Brashears and Anthony Boston] did here to Connecticut last summer (I couldn't go) in like 3, and have a pretty comprehensive list of bare necessities required. So you know, lemme know!Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    and since we'll be camping out every night I thought this was an appropriate thread.Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2010

I'm hoping to go bike touring this summer a bunch and stealth camping. I'm kind of worried about ticks giving my lyme disease. what do you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthornonprophet

catch the ticks before they bite you, pull them off.
    • CommentAuthortristan

^^fwiw I spent an entire summer stealing camping spots in various woods and fields a few years ago. Didn't get bit by a single tick.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."

oh man

Oh man
    these guys were a real menace to society
    tearing up the roads like that
    city roads dont pave themselves.
    Mosquito nets protect against ticks at night. Bug repellent works fine, especially if it says prevents ticks. You can never go wrong with 100% deet.
    [looking at the sun]
    Dwight Schrute: I'm gonna say thirty.
    Ralph: Ah, forty. Insect repellent, which we clearly need, reduces the effectiveness of SPF.
    Dwight Schrute: Good point but, thought of that already. [takes out container from trunk] Combination SPF, repellent.
    Ralph: Whoa. Homemade?
    Dwight Schrute: Of course. You think the EPA would ever allow that much DEET?

Also, I love bike camping/bike touring/stealth camping. We should organize one!I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    • CommentAuthorpepper

My few cents (may be repeating, but I ADD and reading an entire thread don't mix well)

-Sleeping Pad: the lightest, smallest, and all around best (but more expensive) is Thermarest NeoAIr... I just got one and can't wait to use it.

-Sleeping Bag: go down (just make sure it doesn't get wet)., light and compressible. I't go for warmer than 30-40, it can get cold and the last thing u want it to not be able to sleep b/c of cold weather.

-Panniers: I agree with someone above: Ortlieb makes sweet packs. I used them on my tour last year, they were and still are fantastic. i would recommend something for the handle bars too... my riding partner had one and I was always jealous.

-Stove: fuck it. I sent my home after 3 days. Go on a smaller tour and see if u use it or not; its easy to buy food that doesnt need to be cooked (ie peanut butter and jelly, muffins, bananas, beer).

-tent: you can always do a bivvy if u want light...hammock sounds fun, but there are lots of camping places without trees. We have a hammock up in the store I work at if u want to see what it looks like (Hilton's tent city)... there are some that bivys are not much $ (MSR for $71)

-Recommend: 2 pair of chamois, 2-3 shirts (I used 1 for riding and 1 for camp: bad idea...)

Turns out, i have lots of ideas.
    • CommentAuthorpepper

Oh yeah, I'm also touring next week, leaving Boston for NY on Monday and coming back Sunday if anyone is interested in joining. Thinking of doing the finger lakes in upstate NY... but up for other ideas!