Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013

Yea. I had well-used fronts and backs on my ride to FL. I got really heavy, sustained rain for several days and my things stayed bone dry.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    paul jameson:Ortlieb panniers, yea or nay?

i love mine. i have front rollers and back rollers that i use for touring and back packer plusses that i use for commuting. got em all used locally for well below retail. i like the rollers for their dry bag capabilities and the back packer plusses for their convenience and function.
    • CommentAuthortristan

ortliebs are pretty expensive and pretty heavy- I've always been a proponent of the standard pannier with a garbage bag inside it method (not to be confused with jansport method)

ortlieb mounting hardware is pretty great, though.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

tristan:ortliebs are pretty expensive and pretty heavy- I've always been a proponent of the standard pannier with a garbage bag inside it method (not to be confused with jansport method)

ortlieb mounting hardware is pretty great, though.

When you're touring I don't think weight (and definitely not the weight difference between two types of panniers) is going to be that much of a deal.

That being said, I have Ortliebs and I'm fairly pleased with them except for the fact that I wish I hadn't gotten ones that are basically a huge sack. Soooo hard to find anything in there. Also, the mounting clips broke on on panniers once; dropped my pannier with my computer inside and tore them up. Luckily, nothing happened to my laptop (yay! thinkpads!) and REI replaced the pannier for free. Although, I think the brittleness of the Ortlieb mounting hooks is a fairly widespread concern, they break in the long run.unstuck in time
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

west.:they break in the long run.

Everything does. That's why we drink.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

joeyfresh:
    west.:they break in the long run.

Everything does. That's why we drink.

Well, I meant in the fairly short sense of the word. As in round-the-world tourists frequently have the clips break on them.

This, of course, doesn't preclude our drinking.unstuck in time
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

ortlieb fronts for the sensitive stuff that should stay dry and cheaper rears with lots of compartments and easy access
    I love cheap rears with easy access.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

and expensive fronts for the sensitive stuff
    You guy's talking about dicks?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2013

Well this thread got hot real fast.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Do you guys know how to change spokes, true wheels? I never learned. This prooobably should've been my number one thing before I biked to Florida. Tbh, I wouldn't trust my wheels or my lack of skills now (especially since I have a wheel with, like, 3 differently-sized spokes) after fuckin' em up so much but I had brand new wheels when I would disappear for months at a time. I just brought a book with me and trusted that I could read and do it on the fly.

Joeyfresh and I should go on a 6 month cross-country from Virginia to California and back together. I think we'd bond hard.
    Read this as:
    Baron Fagrot:...Joeyfresh and I should go on a 6 month cross-country from Virginia to California and back together. I think we'd bone hard.
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Well, that's what I meant.
    rock death:and expensive fronts for the sensitive stuff

...that should stay dry.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

After much quasi-research and flipping through stacks of atlas at the library, I've decided to ride from NYC to Boston.
    I'll bus down then ride home. Since it's not a "destination" tour, I'd be interested in various routes back, whether that be through western mass, connecticut or even over to newport and back up to boston.
    I'm using this route as a sort of basis for the parts outside of MA, but has anyone any other routes/suggestions?

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=1&page_id=34939&v=2v
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

IN.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    i should really block crazyguyonabike at work because goddamn does it wreck my productivity
    ^thisI thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    my buddy Derek touring in Rwanda

some of you might know derek mcintire (lives in vt, works/worked at old spokes, has worked at bnb, vegan, played in unrestrained). either way, he's good shit and just got back from a trip and mini-tour in rwanda. he spent time in kenya and uganda as well, but had his tour cut short when he broke his femur and had to come home (got back yesterday). this is a little teaser clip he put together and here's his trip blog.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2013

whoa awesome!!!
    dude looks super familiar
    thanks for sharing, i am totally going to check out his trip blog. sorry to hear that he got hurt and had to come home earlyMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2013

I'm loving the bad religion soundtrack"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2013 edited

I'm thinking about taking some time off work sometime in the next few weeks for a short tour around New England. Thinking a little jaunt to Upstate NY, maybe coming back through VT and NH and finishing back in Boston. Anybody interested in joining? I'm thinking maybe a week for the whole thing, total mileage and travel time TBD. Whisper me...

(Yes, it will be cold, so I might try to arrange airbnb or warmshowers.org sleeping arrangements...)

EDIT: I'm also open to other route ideas...Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

I cannot join, but I wanted to toss out some lessons I learned from riding around that way - a couple years ago I rode from hartford to saratoga springs, and then back to boston. The hartford -> saratoga springs route went up the west side of MA, and was some of the most enjoyable riding I've done. It's really beautiful out there - I'd recommend trying it out if you can.
    The saratoga springs -> boston route went through green mountain national forest, which is also beautiful, but home to some of the worst bastard hills ever to be created on this earth. You've been warned!ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Haha, yes I've done a lot of biking in western Mass and eastern NY. Ridden less in VT though I did attempt the 6 Gaps one painful time. What route did you take through VT, out of curiosity?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthortristan

I took route 67 down to Bennington, where I ate some local cheese and had a sandwich (it was really good), and then took 9 across the state. It wasn't that the hills were so big, really. It was that they consistently either started out with a severe pitch, or had a traffic light at the bottom of the downhills, meaning that there was no conservation of momentum whatsoever. Nothing like the 6 gaps, just soul sucking.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013 edited

tristan:The saratoga springs -> boston route went through green mountain national forest, which is also beautiful, but home to some of the worst bastard hills ever to be created on this earth. You've been warned!
    mhmm

nerdo, i've got the cue sheets from my B&B trip, leaving from portsmouth, out through nh to rochester, vt, then down toward silver bay and indian lake, ny. gorgeous stuff, but tough hills for sure.
    i think i even have them in garmin.connectsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^I'd be interested to see the cue sheets, though I don't have anything fancy like a garmin.

Thanks for the info!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013 edited

.unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthorspokenword
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013

tristan:The saratoga springs -> boston route went through green mountain national forest, which is also beautiful, but home to some of the worst bastard hills ever to be created on this earth. You've been warned!

aww, yeah, that stretch between Manchester and Brattleboro is gorgeous, gorgeous, but the valley that Manchester sits in is like a bloody wall on its eastern side. An alternative way to cross the Taconics is to follow the Hudson River Valley back down and cross at Mechanicsville, then past the Tomhannock Reservoir, through the Finger Lakes and then cross at 43 over Brodie Mountain Road and the Jiminy Peak ski resort. Some of the hills in the Finger Lakes can also be pretty steep, but the terrain is also awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

Hey Sean - can you send me those cue sheets too? I'm also looking for a couple days of riding around New England at the end of April.
    Nerdo - if this links up with your time, perhaps we can cruise a while!
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^^Brodie Mountain Road is beautiful. I love that crossing. Really, the point of hills is the view as you crest them.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben

west.:It's this one this one with street maps.
    Your URL is bad.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Good/tested/unexpected sub-24-hour-overnight destinations from Boston-upon-Charles?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013

yo where should dora and i go bike touring in january? my ideas:

patagonia
    morocco/southern spain
    mediterranean turkey
    kyushu island, japan

anyone here done any exotic northern-hemisphere-winter touring? ideas/advice?
    Nowhere there is MTBing.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

what
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

rock death:yo where should dora and i go bike touring in january? my ideas:

patagonia
    morocco/southern spain
    mediterranean turkey
    kyushu island, japan

anyone here done any exotic northern-hemisphere-winter touring? ideas/advice?

Not spain, it isn't that great there. Morocco is pretty awesome and cheap. Never been to Patagonia but was in Ecuador for half a year and the Andes are gorgeous so a toss up b/w Morocco and Patagonia I'd day. Leaning towards Patagonia.unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthorben

Japan is amazing, and bike touring there would be great in many ways - super friendly people, good food (if you like sushi, which I don't), amazing sites, really safe. It would also be super expensive though, even if you were only camping, and I imagine it would be more difficult to get away with camping there than in say Patagonia.

I've also heard excellent things about Morocco.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    rock death:what

This is re: your MTBing accidentsYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

well i have been injured bike touring before too
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^i heard that touring cheese can heal broken bones/teeth.
    i toured for ~3 months in chile and argentina (late december to mid-march) and would give it an enthusiastic thumbs up. chile has potable water, friendly people, gorgeous scenery, and a long ass dirt road (the carretera austral) with limited car traffic. we free camped everywhere we could and never had a problem. i kept a pretty thorough blog if you wanna check it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

:D

i can't believe i totally flaked on your blog ted, which i read a shitload of a while ago and thought it was awesome and that it would be an awesome trip to go on. would you mind posting the link again?Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

If you go to Japan, you have to go here:

The Suicide ForestWorstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Why? Why go to such a sad place?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    dora::D

i can't believe i totally flaked on your blog ted, which i read a shitload of a while ago and thought it was awesome and that it would be an awesome trip to go on. would you mind posting the link again?

http://bicicletaabajo.wordpress.com/

eta: i'm also happy to answer any questions you two might have over e-mail/text/facetoface/smokesignals/probablynotmessengerpigeonbcyou'revegan/yougetthepicture/catswithmessagesinreallysmallbottles
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013

thanks dude!! we will probably totally do that! :DMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2013

ted if we toured south america (and please excuse my ridiculously broad geographical area) would it be hard to get vegetarian food?Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    dora:ted if we toured south america (and please excuse my ridiculously broad geographical area) would it be hard to get vegetarian food?
    so my only direct experience was in chile and argentina but it was incredibly easy to get fresh produce and dried goods along our route in those countries. they do involve meat in a lot of the prepared food but from what i remember it wouldn't be hard to get vegetarian items at those places as well. having said that, a salad in most "restaurants" was a plate full of tomatoes and sliced white onions. i can't speak for the other countries from personal experience but am 1 degree away from someone that could likely give experiential wisdom on most SA countries. tristan did a short tour in peru, spokenword has traveled all over southern patagonia as well (but not on bike), and i know others who've toured that i can put you in touch with.