Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2007

So, I once dated a guy who kept on referring to me as a "shortie." Is that bicycle slang for "small girlfriend"? Also, if so, what's the reverse-equivalent? It's not like every girl can say her guy's playing for Team Gigantic.

Anyhow, I'm bad with slang and even worse with bike-specific slang or alternate terms for various pieces of hardware. It took me forever to even realise what 'harbls' were -- although through common usage, a once metasyntactic variable has converged to imply "balls," as opposed to top-tube cozies or chainrings. So, well. Do you know it? Dish it out here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid
    • CommentTimeNov 19th 2007

In case you're wondering, yes, I'm bored. I've got surgery in 11 hours. Hopefully it will be the last bit of serious medical crap associated with my inappropriate lidless liason with an SUV.
    urbandictionary is your friend...

shorty: affectionate term for a girlfriend, attractive female or concubine.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    although, I might add, I prefer "boo" over "shorty"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    and Sir Loin's Doing It For the Shorties... but he turned out to be a giant spider named MC Pee Pants

612 WHARF AVENUE!!!Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    Posted By: Aaron Giganticand Sir Loin'sDoing It For the Shorties... but he turned out to be a giant spider named MC Pee Pants

612 WHARF AVENUE!!!Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

And MC Chris was the voice for MC Pee Pants.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BXn2ekbGhE
    Fett's Vett....clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    I can't even begin to fathom how much fun the people of Adult Swim must have on the job, yo!
    612 Wharf Ave, 612 Wharf Ave... Alleycat theme of the future-past![all your base are belong to us]
    How about "Finger mcgriddlin' me" and"hyphy"? Kids from the city were saying both of those to me recently.
    "hyphy" is a music/dance thing that means super-crazy-energetic...

I know because this weekend I learned how to "get hyphy" by watching a how-to-dance video on OnDemand. I also learned how to "crank that Solja Boy".Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    i witnessed the aaron version of the "crank that soulja boy" pretty amazing...to say the leastthere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    • CommentAuthorraff I el
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2007

so "whip" can mean either "bike" or "car" depending how it's used? does anyone know where that comes from?Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    i use the term whip for my bike, i bet it has something to do with horse drawn carriages back in the day.

and "boo" is more for "shorties" to call their boyfriend, "boo" = boythere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    "that ain't my boo its my baby's daddy"there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

i give a lotta "dap". yall give much "dap"?
    have you heard "salted", its like if i gave you a dirty look you got saltedthere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    ive heard "dookey chain", as in "back in the day when RUN D MC was rocking those big dookey chains"there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    dear boston,

i love you, but sometimes you're so white it hurts.

seriously now.

love,
    -danflip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Posted By: dan bones!dear boston,

seriously now.

love,
    -dan

srsly..
    • CommentAuthorgc

Posted By: richardmylove"that ain't my boo its my baby's daddy"reach for the stars and if you fall you will land in the clouds

that is grammatically incorrect. it should read: "that aint my boo it my baby daddy"gone
    • CommentAuthorgc

i be beastin'gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

btw it's "Shawty"
    •  
      CommentAuthorHamburger
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2007 edited

i hate to say this -- but i had to look up "harbl"

[edit] ain't "shawty" just a southern phoenitic veracular of "shortie"?People make decisions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

seriously now.

love,
    -dan

that's the first thing i thought when i first stepped foot in this city 3.5 years ago.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

seriously now.

love,
    -dan

Damn straight. being part of a white majority just feels weird, since I grew up being first the "blanco" kid, then the "You're not russian? so why do you live here?" kid.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2007

'k. So... I'm not alone in my whiteness. That is simultaneously comforting and disconcerting.

This was totally interesting to read while on Oxy. I got my screw out! It was surprisingly... small. For something that hurt as much as it did, I was expecting it to be a lot bigger, like a bolt -- not a 4" x 2.25mm object.

I mean, it looked huge in the X-rays the doctor showed me!!11!!one11!cos(0).......
    did they let you keep the screw?there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2007 edited

"Shawty". From the dirty south? Hey, we could have a Boston spelling hornet.

They let me keep the screw. Autoclave! No assembly required!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid

Oh, and shout-out to Boundgear -- it hurt about as much as you said it would re: your friend having some screws out. IE, quiet evening at home on painkillers, and then mostly okay. Not even 1/100th of the pain involved in installing the screw.
    shit yeah!

i was talking to someone a few weeks ago and they are trying to develop screws made of bone, so when you are "healed" the screw does not have to be removed!!!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthormur

Posted By: karyatidThey let me keep the screw.

you should use it on a bike somehow.~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    Posted By: richardmylovehave you heard "salted", its like if i gave you a dirty look you got saltedreach for the stars and if you fall you will land in the clouds

I hear this one a lot. Kids have been using "forcing it" and "cheesin' lately.

I'm ok with my being painfully white.

Morgan, weren't you in some kind of dancing toaster video? Is that white?!
    yeah, it was a pretty big switch to go from years living in boston where everybody is totally white to living in bed stuy where i was one of five white people in my entire neighborhood and the only white dude on the subway in the morning until i got into manhattan.

but i love my neighborhood and i really like the sense of community in where i live. after people got used to seeing my face around the block, everybody was cool and very open about their lives. the whole block mostly knows one another, and honestly i feel kinda bad that i'm never around and i need to put in more of an effort to get to know everybody on my street. it doesn't help that i'm really bad with names..

anyway, i'm not shit talking boston are calling out any deficiencies because there aren't a lot of other cultures. its just how the city is set up. we could go into a huuuuuuuge debate over housing and history, but i'm pretty sure we all get it.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

i very rarely see black folk in any quantity in somerville/cambridge. i grew up in NC where all my schools were at least 50 % black. so it's different.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

yeah, I was in a pancake video and it was totally white.. :-/ I could go on about back home but I won't do that to you...

but still Boston is ridiculous, the ancient forms of institutionalist racism that linger in this city have created an overwhelming population of culturally sheltered white folks... but like Dan said I don't wanna shit talk or go on a rant..

P.S. Bonesy, Bed Stuy is one of my favorite neighborhoods in the world, seriously you are one lucky bastard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Posted By: brunopi very rarely see black folk in any quantity in somerville/cambridge. i grew up in NC where all my schools were at least 50 % black. so it's different.

Yeah i live in Union and have thought the same thing, and isn't Somerville supposed to be a really "ethnic"???
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

Boston is not all white, by any means. It's just that the young white kids on this forum never venture outside of the safe neighborhoods. Try taking a Wednesday night ride into Mattapan or Dottie or Roxbury or Fort Hill, or East Boston, or Chelsea, or Everett, or Revere, etc. As soon as rents in Boston approach the rents in Manhattan, say, we'll see young white kids moving out of Allston and acting just as worldlier-than-thou as our Brooklyn friends. Remember, NYC, there are plenty of white people in your city too!MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

Oh yeah, and then there's Southie, the whitest 'hood in the northeast.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

Posted By: stickyfootOh yeah, and then there's Southie, the whitest 'hood in the northeast.Somebody sell me a track frame.

erin go bragh.
    Posted By: stickyfootBoston is not all white, by any means. It's just that the young white kids on this forum never venture outside of the safe neighborhoods. Try taking a Wednesday night ride into Mattapan or Dottie or Roxbury or Fort Hill, or East Boston, or Chelsea, or Everett, or Revere, etc. As soon as rents in Boston approach the rents in Manhattan, say, we'll see young white kids moving out of Allston and acting just as worldlier-than-thou as our Brooklyn friends. Remember, NYC, there are plenty of white people in your city too!Somebody sell me a track frame.

Well said. Complaining about Somerville/Cambridge being white would be like complaining that the UES, UWS, and Midtown are all white. I'd be willing to guess that most people here have only accidentally ridden through Roxbury, DOT, Mattapan.

I think it's settled - tonight's ride is going south and east!
    believe me rob, i'm not trying to come off as elistist or to say "i know more black people than you do", nor am i trying to discredit charlestown, southie, roxbury, dorchester, revere, chinatown or anywhere else.

i made the nyc distinction because its a completey different cultural environment. of course there's plenty of white people, but its incredibly rare to be in any part of the entire city and have it be predominantly white, including manhattan.

but i'm gonna be in boston this friday with my girlfriend if you wanna meet up and talk about this some more. right now i've got 99 problems to solve before tomorrow morning (none of which can be solved with a triobike), and i can't focus enough to get any real points across.

ilovebostongoredsoxgodblessteamgiganticflip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

Posted By: endurancenirvana
    Posted By: stickyfootBoston is not all white, by any means. It's just that the young white kids on this forum never venture outside of the safe neighborhoods. Try taking a Wednesday night ride into Mattapan or Dottie or Roxbury or Fort Hill, or East Boston, or Chelsea, or Everett, or Revere, etc. As soon as rents in Boston approach the rents in Manhattan, say, we'll see young white kids moving out of Allston and acting just as worldlier-than-thou as our Brooklyn friends. Remember, NYC, there are plenty of white people in your city too!Somebody sell me a track frame.

Well said. Complaining about Somerville/Cambridge being white would be like complaining that the UES, UWS, and Midtown are all white. I'd be willing to guess that most people here have only accidentally ridden through Roxbury, DOT, Mattapan.

I think it's settled - tonight's ride is going south and east!

hope yall don't get shot. serious.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

Posted By: dan bones!ilovebostongoredsoxgodblessteamgigantic

Hahahaha, you crack my shit up. I didn't mean to single you out, Boner, but more the attitude that a lot of my friends have that Boston is monocultural, which it isn't. Granted, it doesn't compare to New York (not many cities can!), but it's easy to forget that many of us live in our neighborhoods out of choice and comfort. So I don't have much patience for somebody who spends all their time in Allston or Somerville (East Cambridge is quite racially mixed) complaining that Boston is all white.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    • CommentAuthorgc

Posted By: alexi gigantic
    Posted By: stickyfootOh yeah, and then there's Southie, the whitest 'hood in the northeast.Somebody sell me a track frame.

yeah but again, the Irish are not white...". . . from hell's heart I stab at thee; for hate's sake I spit my last breath at thee."

in the racial hierarchy the irish are at/close to the bottom, below even the blacks..but probably not below the canadaians..especially those french onesgone
    • CommentAuthorgc

and people that say cambridge is "white" or "all white" havent the slightest bit wtf their talking about

cambridgema demographics faq: http://www.cambridgema.gov/~CDD/data/datafaq.htmlgone
    • CommentAuthorNelson

Posted By: le lion couchant
    but probably not below the canadaians..

Oh you mean the frostbacks?In the big rock candy mountain, the jails are made of tin
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2007

no one said boston was all white... I think a MAJOR part of boston's problem is that minorities are so cut off and isolated into the communities you named above... I came here from texas (also lived in Canada and California) and i can say without a doubt Boston has some of the most obivious signs of insitutionalist rasicm I've seen first hand anywhere. The school system is FUCKED, and communities are divided down ethnic lines like crazy. It's not about how many white people or black people there are. It's about how little integration there is here. I think NYC and most southern cities have had to face race relations problems head on becuase they were forced to, Boston on the other hand has swept it's right under the rug. I the whole busing situation that caused such a huge stir decades ago still hasn't been seriously addressed.

Posted By: le lion couchantand people that say cambridge is "white" or "all white" havent the slightest bit wtf their talking about

cambridgema demographics faq: http://www.cambridgema.gov/~CDD/data/datafaq.html

Those stats are off becuase they don't account for the large number of white students in Cambridge. Also I think it's still safe to call Cambridge "white" becuase the number and extreme of white privileges afforded to a person living is are much higher than I would think is normal.
    HO HO HO