Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortravisW
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008

carbon with Ti lugs
    boooyah
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Low flange phils are hot.dongpincher 1000
    lugged carbon is hot.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

^+1Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik

ti lugs + carbon are a bitch to build.
    ^care to elaborate on that...clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008 edited

i am not a fan of carbon, but this is nice (and it is full actually lugged carbon, not ti lugs)
    ^I like it when carbon bikes look like bikes, and not like space ships. Good on Serotta.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008

Whoa.

•  
      CommentAuthorpapi
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008

I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid

The tall bike eschaton is immanent.
    HOLY SHIT!!

i met that bike's owner sunday night. i was delivering in greenpoint and the dude was climbing a parking garage to get onto it when i rode past. him and his brother were just chillin' out with the thing. very relaxed dudes. i think the kid who built it is named hilel. or something. freegan coop dude.

they offered to let me ride it, but i declined. 4-frame tall bikes are a bad look at 12:30am when you've been riding around since 4pm.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

karyatid:The tall bike eschaton is immanent.

"eschaton" for the win.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008 edited

teh sex
    that looks like something Alexi would ride.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

well alexi looks like something you'd ride!!! BUURN!
    huwha - where did that come from?Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008 edited

a friend of mine (who's kinda little) jus' got herself the littlest LHT they make. stock. surly puts purty nice stuff on 'em for the price.
    pk's new whip

she's takin' it to thailand.
    whats up with the stem/headset spacers, thats a unique set-upthere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

^she likes to sit up rivendell stylee so harris set it up like that. she's takin' it up to chiang rai and chiang mai and the mountains near the laos/thai/burmese borders.
    that is so tough!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2008

i was ridin' it and felt like a fuckin' elephant. it's so tiny. a 42.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

there are 11 hs spacers. damn
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Tiny people like to be upright.
    I know someone w/ a 47cm bike whose handlebars are at the same height as mine (I ride a 57)dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid

^it's 'cause we've got to milk what god gave us for every last millimeter.
    ^ good callthere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

DannyRocks:Tiny people like to be upright.
    I know someone w/ a 47cm bike whose handlebars are at the same height as mine (I ride a 57)

yeah dude. she's gonna be a longtime in da saddle in thailand. nice 'n upright even in da drops:
    new whip
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

She seems like a chill lady and all, and to each his/her own.. but she's riding drops in almost every pic and that exact position could be had riding the hoods with the bars in a more reasonable place.. right now it looks like she almost couldn't use the hoods cus it would but her wrists in a akward position..

• CommentAuthorgc

yea, that bike is pretty hideous.

drops higher than saddle level is pretty stupid.

a much better solution would be to use trekking bars/moustache bars or some flat bar setup.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

or put the bars level with the seat at least, i think that would be more reasonable and will actually handle better..
    •  
      CommentAuthortoldey
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008

just finished my build after a long awaited 2-3 months. a bit too pretty, gotta get worn in and roughed up for the city! haha

http://www.tonyluong.net
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008

gregtheripper:or put the bars level with the seat at least, i think that would be more reasonable and will actually handle better..

having drop bars higher than the saddle makes the use of the hand position in the brake hoods impossible. i thought the purpose of drop handlebars was to give the option of several different hand positions, not just two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2008 edited

•  
      CommentAuthor0x000000
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008 edited

creamsicle nagasawa!
    what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    that bike is effin huuuuut!HUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Needs more purple.
    Toldey- nice set-up dude! Don't worry about roughing it up, it'll happen naturally :-)dongpincher 1000
    @nagasawa: i spot a possibility of 4 (FOUR) other NJS parts on that bike: stem, seatpost, cranks/chainring/bb, pedals/clips (maybe chain too). risers, saddle, wheelset not NJS

conclusion: FAIL!
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2008

i wonder if they have creamsicles in japan.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

riding what you want and not caring about NJS = WIN

Always giving people shit about what/when they ride = FAIL

conclusion:
    Nagasawa Owner=WIN
    Grumpy Gary=FAIL!!
    ^ +1 son!HUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthortoldey

I'm loving that Nagasawa right now! Nice jobhttp://www.tonyluong.net
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

I'd blindly suggest, never having seen the rider on said cream-cycle, that the seat could be moved backwards an inch or so.

Otherwise cream-cycle wins for sure.
    Morgie:riding what you want and not caring about NJS = WIN

conclusion:
    Nagasawa Owner=WIN
    Grumpy Gary=FAIL!!

WRONG! getting the NJS frame ok, looks nice. going half way to get some sweet NJS cranks and that cr00sh nitto drop stem so you can be flashy, but then not fully committing to NJS wheels or bars (of which there are MANY!) is just weak.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

psssh gary get over yourself.. so you can't but a frame cus you think it's a sick frame and a wheelset cus you think it's a sick wheelset.. I imagine he wanted orange rims, and found a set of decent quality and decided to use them. End of Story.. NJS-whatever, clearly he wasn't trying to build a kerin bike, otherwise it wouldn't have had risers..

Gary's attempts to bash a bike cus he hates it for having made hipster points = FAIL

If that guy likes he's whip then, he = win..
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

kilgore_trout:

conclusion:
    Nagasawa Owner=WIN
    Grumpy Gary=FAIL!!

WRONG! getting the NJS frame ok, looks nice. going half way to get some sweet NJS cranks and that cr00sh nitto drop stem so you can be flashy, but then not fully committing to NJS wheels or bars (of which there are MANY!) is just weak.

i would have to disagree. i have seen many bikes with just as much njs that have worked quite well. i would take phil hubs over almost all njs hubs, loose ball barings are good for the track, or if you're really good about servicing your components, but otherwise...
    njs wheelsets are quite stupid for the road, or really any purpose due the restrictions keeping weigt up and technology down.

risers are also much more comfortable than track drops imho, road drops (which are actually designed to not be ridden in the drops only) are the best, though do not look so good on a track bike.

plastic saddles are great in the rain, you can just wipe off the water!

the only problem i see with that bike is the possibility that the hubs are formulas, for no other reason than snobbery. that and the crazy amount of orange, though i do really like creamsicles.

i give the bike a 'b' for effort
    Gary's actually discovered the crippling dilemma faced by many "fixie" aficionados: When outfitting your fashion fixed gear, which do you fetishize more, NJS certification or candy-colored componentry? Many an art student's been aesthetically immobilized by this quandary.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

^hahaha

i love you rob
    Backatcha! Let's get drunk soon!Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

yes sir, maybe. i just wrote a HUGE check for my new apartment. i am totally in "drinking on the docks" mode.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2008

The truth. High fives, Morgan. It's way more important how a person rides a bike than what they've built. I'd also like to see more thought and effort go into something than "all ____." How about "All awesome, and I ride it every day." I'm sure you could agree with that part, Gary.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.