Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthormeatball
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008

Just finished my last glass of George T. Stagg. If you find this stuff, drink it.
    • CommentAuthorgc

that ish seriously cost $200/btl?gone
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

I prefer my whisky from smelly hairy dudes in kilts.

Blanton's otherwise.
    • CommentAuthormeatball

no way man, what? my bottle was 144 proof and cost me maybe $50. Lasted me three/four months. That company makes a few different bourbons so mebbe one is $200 but I don't have that kind of scratch for likker.
    • CommentAuthormeatball
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2008 edited

just did a quick google

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_T._Stagg

firstly, lol @ the fact that you can't even bring it on a plane due to its volatility. ah, I like that it is in my stomach now.

and secondly, wtf @ the mathnet reference, I used to watch that shit religiously as a kid, anyone remember that? they bought someone some Stagg on that show? Man. That wouldn't fly today.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathnet

I remember this one episode where the dude had to climb up this big letter like the big HOLLYWOOD sign after a man dressed like a gorilla and then OMG THE LADDER BROKE BENEATH HIM, it was a very tense moment of my childhood.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008

i heart bourbon!!!!! did you know that glenmorangie (yes, scotch) is aged in bourbon casks?

i like scotch, and i like bourbon.

bourbon is cheaper than scotch!

i heart bourbon,
    -pete!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

i had a lot of manhattans last night...cheers to bourbon.(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

i had a lot of something last night. but no bourbon [sad face]
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2008 edited

I like bourbon. Got a bottle of knob creek and elijah craig hanging around right now, and really want to pick up a bottle of bookers for special occasions.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

^get woodford reserve instead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

only alkies drink liquor. i drink only wine and beer. liquor will kill. i'm serious.
    • CommentAuthorgone
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008

^Bourbon was what I was drinking the night I quit drinking 2+ years ago.

In the end, that only lasted about 6 months.

Nonetheless, I've only started touching whiskey again within the last three weeks. Wild Turkey gets the job done. I use it for beating colds (in Hot Toddies) and also for beating boredom in the parking lot at collegiate road races.

Also, I ordered a "New York Flip" at a bar recently. Rye whiskey with raw egg and nutmeg on ice. If some else (i.e. yr roommate, say) is footing the bill (and also your GI cultures are in working order against Salmonella), it's super top notch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008

mint juleps are where it's at. eff raw eggs.
    Bourbon is so nice.

Woodford's Reserve
    Wild Turkey Rye
    Basil Haden
    Maker's Mark
    and I just finished a bottle of Van Winkle 12 year Saturday night.
    Good stuff.Kitties are so nice.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008

i too appreciate bourbon, though if you looked in my house the best you'd find is Jim Beam Black. tastes kind of like fire and maraschino cherries.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    • CommentAuthormeatball
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008

Wild Turkey 101 is the shit.
    Woodford's is very respectable.
    Buffalo Trace is something new I have fallen in love with.
    I drink a lot of Old Thompson, which I believe is watered down grain alcohol with whiskey flavoring, hence why its strength is labeleld as % grain alc/vol instead of just alc/vol. Some company in somerville does this as well for various $10 handle boozes.

Eagle Rare is quite respectable.

Also, I am with pete g, a passable bourbon will always be far cheaper than a passable scotch, though good scotch is better than good bourbon (especially Laphroaig).

If it ever makes it stateside again, buy Erin Go Bragh Irish whiskey. It was $20 a bottle and tasted similar to a weaker Islay scotch. The only shop in Boston that had it as far as I am aware sold their last case to some dude from TN who tracked it down to their shop, this was last year, apparently it has not been available in the country since.
    it's not my style but ive heard good things and know some of yous enjoy a good glass
    knob creek single barrel reservesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    meatball:Eagle Rare is quite respectable.

Straight to the face, all day every day.

When I'm feeling poor it's Evan Williams.

I also love Maker's Mark which for some reason has become a point of contention on more than one occasion.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    paul jameson:
    I also love Maker's Mark which for some reason has become a point of contention on more than one occasion.

First of the new-fangled easy drinking bourbons?

Evan's not too bad... or Eagle Reserve (particularly select bottles)... Woodford Reserve is pretty ok... The Pappy's and Old Van Winkle are pretty awesome.
    • CommentAuthortfunkin
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2011

Pappy Van Winkle 20 year or nothing. Okay, that's not true. Pappy Van Winkle 20 year or, barring that, whatever's available. But holy crap, Pappy Van Winkle 20 year.

I'm a big fan of Evan Williams for a day-to-day bourbon, and damn it's a bargain.
    lobar:
    paul jameson:
    I also love Maker's Mark which for some reason has become a point of contention on more than one occasion.

First of the new-fangled easy drinking bourbons?

Evan's not too bad... or Eagle Reserve (particularly select bottles)... Woodford Reserve is pretty ok... The Pappy's and Old Van Winkle are pretty awesome.

what are select bottles of eagle reserve? some kind of eagle rare or another brand entirely? y'mean the 17 year eagle rare?

Mick:it's not my style but ive heard good things and know some of yous enjoy a good glass
    knob creek single barrel reserve

just drink regular beam. anything else isn't being a man.
    what about thompson?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    not whiskey
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011 edited

Re: select bottles of Eagle Rare... the owners of the liquor store Brix went down to the Eagle Rare distillery and selected some barrels, which were then all bottled up for 'em. That's what I meant. I would imagine other liquor stores did it as well?

I noticed Kappy's has what they refer to as select bottles of Eagle Rare, but they don't give any indication that it's from particular barrels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011 edited

bumping just to incite combat with the scotch thread.

and to say that while reading this and the scotch thread that george thorogood song was stuck in my head the whole time.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.

Take-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorspokenword
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011

Nice sig, S-A.

On Friday night, a friend made me a Manhattan with Rebel Yell and a Spanish red vermouth called Perucchi. Damn thing was just ... easy.
    Where can I get a good sazerac in this town?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    I am currently enjoying Old Overholt as my general walking-around whiskey, and Michter's small batch as my nicer sitting-around whiskey.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    paul jameson:Where can I get a good sazerac in this town?

Ned from hungry motherTake-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorspokenword

^^ I had the same setup for a while. Overholt for mixing and general open party consumption. Michter's (or WL Weller) for special occasions. Though now, since I can't seem to find Overholt anywhere in Inman (?) it's Wild Turkey 101 Rye for general consumption and Bulleit for sipping.

^ +1 to Hungry Mother, though on the Boston side, Eastern Standard is usually a good place to start. As is Deep Ellum.

Though if you're one of those folks who needs to debate about whether to use Peychaud's or Angostura, or which absinthe goes best with the rye, then you're never going to find that answer on the Internet.
    Haven't had WT101 in a long time, but Bulleit is good. I also have some Bulleit Rye but it's not as good as their "regular" bourbon.

I haven't looked in Inman in a while, but they have Overholt in Davis if you find yourself up there.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:I am currently enjoying Old Overholt...

As I first started to read this post, my thought was, "DAMN! He's starting the party at work early today!"All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Mickelob Ultra:bumping just to incite combat with the scotch thread.

Well, that's fine, as long as we all acknowledge that bourbon is "lesser" beverage. :P

In all seriousness, I need more experience with good, or even decent, bourbon. I've always had a bit of aversion to it (too sweet), but it might be that I've just had bad exposure. I'll now propose a Scotch AND Bourbon* ride/event in the near future.

*Ok, since we are now 2/3rds of the way to total mess-disaster with this, we might as well just go all the way and make it a "1 Bourbon, 1 Scotch, 1 Beer" event. Let's make John Lee Hooker proud.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    The Booze shop in porter carries Old Ovelord

And Pechauds goes in most everything i drinkTake-off everything but your rainboots
    Daddy's Little Helper
    6oz coffee
    2oz Applejack
    maple syrup to tasteTake-off everything but your rainboots
    I'm not sure bicycling and Mr. Hooker's drinking combination goes together so good. Maybe if people stick to one of each.

Funny, I've never liked Bulleit or Michter's bourbon (my wife enjoyed Bulleit though). Can't say I've tried the Michter's rye though.

Been enjoying some of the "Single Oak Project" bourbons of late... some more than others. I should get my act together and do tasting reviews on their website (for each cask # you try they reveal what the process was for making that particular one).
    ^pshaw, they go excellently together.

Have you had Michter's American Whiskey? I like it even better than their bourbon.

also
    chr|s sedition:
    surprisefries:I am currently enjoying Old Overholt...

As I first started to read this post, my thought was, "DAMN! He's starting the party at work early today!"

I do have a flask in my bag...DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo

I can say that drinking and riding is great... especially 4th of July.

Bulleit is my winter standard this year.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    My objection was bourbon, followed by scotch, followed by beer... might do a number on one's stomach.
    You're right.

Beer before liquor, get blacked out quicker.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo

Huh, so many people have said that... but they've never caused a problem for my stomachI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    ^ I think people think the beer before liquor makes you sicker is in reference to turning your stomach. pretty sure if you start drinking beer then hit the hard stuff your gonna throw back the hard stuff like it was beer, hence never sickerTake-off everything but your rainboots
    ^That is my understanding. Drinking the higher alcohol stuff first helps you not overdrink. Hence "get blacked out quicker".DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthoramhoov

Three words: Black Maple Hill.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2011

I appreciate teh sazerac discussion. A few years ago, a guy named Tony at the Plough and Stars introduced to sazeracs. He left there a while back, and I dont know where he made off to. I've never been able to get a proper one since.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    What are people's feelings on whiskey stones? I just found out they exist. I mean, ice does a lot more than just chill/water down the whiskey, and I feel like if you really want the unaltered flavor, neat and room temp is the best way to go.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    i feel like your teeth would be in danger when you bottom-up itsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011

they're not heavy... i've thought of getting some.. but haven't.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorpaul jameson
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2011 edited

Shit's on woot today, 11 bones for 9 stones. At that price, I'll just keep using gravel.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?