Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008

Sat night, as i was swapping out cogs for boldsprints, i noticed that my left chainstay was cracked ~3/4 of the way around. Thus, i'm in the market for a new frame. I would get another spicer, but his frame prices have doubled since i bought this one, so i'm looking at other options.

Things i like:
    Available as a frameset alone- i'll be running a disc fork, so fork is unimportant
    Relatively steep angles.
    Fits a 28mm rear tire.
    Reasonably cheap- ~5-600$ is as high as i'd like to go.

Things i'm considering:
    Soma rush- practical, cheap, reasonably good setup. Ditto for IRO markV.
    Godawful ugly leader track frame- i kind of like ugly, large tubed aluminum frames.

any other suggestions?Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    Do what I'm doing and get a Fuji Track Pro, then sell the front fork for 100 bucks?But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    I'll sell you my very used KHS flight 100 (frame and fork only) for $50.00.
    -robot[all your base are belong to us]
    Now somebody my height should offer to sell me a track frame for $50.Word nerd
    Fuck, I'll sell the whole bike for $500.[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

what size is the khs?
    I'm looking for ~59cm.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    *&#$ tall people! Sorry, it's not going to fit you. (As I recall, it is 54 cm c-c by 55 cm c-c)
    • CommentAuthorHank

i have a ~57cm bianchi frame & fork (& headset / bb / stem) im looking to part with if anyone wants it
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

@ howl- how about a steamroller? fatties fit fine...or sumtin..

@robot-let me buy that khs off you??I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    •  
      CommentAuthoradam

hank what kind of bianchi is this? i
    im interested
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

If you're looking at the Mark V keep in mind the random-ass-ed-ness of the IRO sizing, the "59" for example is a 57ttx55ST, and the 56 is a 56ttx52st.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

I am also interested in the biachi..
    robotbuilder:*&#$ tall people! Sorry, it's not going to fit you. (As I recall, it is 54 cm c-c by 55 cm c-c)
    -robot

i want the khs!!!!ride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    •  
      CommentAuthorilikeitfixed
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008 edited

id def be interested in the frame set especially at 50 bucks. id most likely be able to buy it this week or two weeks from now if possible.(2 weeks from now would be anytime after april 4th and that might work out better in the long run) can you send me some pictures of it including some of the bad spots

what is the fork size 1 inch?

i really wanna buy this frame set because you know my bike is WAY to small for me, money is tight right now but i will def buy it on the 4th if you can "hold" it for me :)ride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    Yikes, sorry Howl, I didn't intend to derail your thread.
    For those interested in my KHS, please see the For Sale thread.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

Not a problem- i'm glad to facilitate all these bike transfers.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    • CommentAuthorHank
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008

I actually don't know, it was a late 80's road frame that I stripped down, repainted, and converted - I'll post pics when I get a chance (at work now) or there might be one burried in the 'introduce yourself' thread from long ago
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

iro.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

You won't get $100 for any fork. Just a warning. A barely used reynolds is going to go for like $75 on ebay. The fork market isn't anything like what it was a few years ago.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

^^ Pista concept and FTP forks, for some reason, are going for around $100 on the 'bay and velospace.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

DannyRocks:^^ Pista concept and FTP forks, for some reason, are going for around $100 on the 'bay and velospace.

thats because they are not drilled, i think. which is still no reason to pay $100 for an oem used fork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008

You also don't find "track"-y forks (ie, 28 or 38mm of rake instead of 43-45) for as cheap as you see road forks.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I am corrected.

I've got a handful of carbon forks just lying around because its almost not worth the trouble to list them.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Bump- the 2008 Leader 735TR is out- 74HT/75.5ST, 27.2 post, 1 1/8th headtube, some integrated seat clamp, they're on the bay.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthoradam

i'd love to get one of those and powder coat it.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

mrotown:

I've got a handful of carbon forks just lying around because its almost not worth the trouble to list them.

haha save them for when i break mine. i'll have dollars for youGeryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

if you aren't in a hurry the speculation is the Kilo TT Pro should be available from Bikesdirect in april.. i think it's gonna be the best deal available for at or around $500...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

I'm surprised no one brought up the Surly steamroller. It's got enough room in the back for big-ish tires, and would be pretty sweet with a disc up front.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthortravisW
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008 edited

buckley.:I'm surprised no one brought up the Surly steamroller. It's got enough room in the back for big-ish tires, and would be pretty sweet with a disc up front.
    I have a steamroller and love it. James..uh..sassy..no...big black stapon..whatever he goes by, convinced me to go with the surly over a brass knuckle or the iro, and i love it. I did not get the surly package, i got a frame and fork, then some revolution built cxp 22 wheels on formula huds. With my 28's it is so nice, a little on the heavy side, but not complaining.boooyah
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

That's exactly what I've heard about the Surly frames. A little heavy, but really nice.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    • CommentAuthoraltwave
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2008

Morgie:if you aren't in a hurry the speculation is the Kilo TT Pro should be available from Bikesdirect in april.. i think it's gonna be the best deal available for at or around $500...

Those bikes/frames are going to be very nice. Theyre even adding some additional sizes (filling in the gap between 53 and 57 with a 55) which i was psyched about until i found out that...

they're not going to be shipping until July at least. heard it from the man in charge himself.

Bareknuckle frames have been going for around $300-$330 on ebay lately. very reasonable for a nice track frame if you ask me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

^^ I know that mrotown was guaging interest about selling a 59 stemroller...dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorjohnderson

not necessarily a track frame. But fairly cheap and has a ridiculous head badge ( if thats what you care about)
    http://www.rtbikes.com/news/76/

or the Pake is fairly solid from what i have heard. $230 for the frame and fork.
    http://store.somafab.com/pacrtrfr.html
    or
    Http://www.pakebikes.com
    •  
      CommentAuthoradam

my buddy has a pake, nice,bombproof but a little on the heavy side. 'specially with his yellow v's.
    I'm learning so much....
    • CommentAuthoruglysac
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2008

IRO cause if you ever fuck up the frame in anyway (regardless of how dumb and clearly your fault it was) you can get a brand new frame for half price just buy sending it back. thats a 120 dollar savings even after shipping.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2008

^really? link?(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthoradam
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2008 edited

scroll down halfway

ps.aarn you have an angus right? how do you like it? i'm thinking about getting one soon.
    uglysac:IRO cause if you ever fuck up the frame in anyway (regardless of how dumb and clearly your fault it was) you can get a brand new frame for half price just buy sending it back. thats a 120 dollar savings even after shipping.

but then you have to ride an iroBut the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    as far as i know/have experienced/have heard, when it comes to 'budget track frames', mercier/khs, surly, iro, pake (which i thought was a guy who used to work at surly or something) are not the lightest or most real track-like frames, but can withstand a ton of punishment. in the 2 years i've had my mercier i've beat the shit out of it (hopefully it'll keep me going *knock on wood*), people i know with surlys and iros have said the same. i don't know many people with pakes though.
    ask meatball. his not-rusted bike is a pake. he claims u can find 'em for 180 frame/fork, if you look hard enuf. and above someone said it's 230 for frame/fork on the soma site, but it rly looks like that's just frame, and fork is something along 80 bucks additional. soma lugged fork is prettier, imo.

meatball sez his frame has lasted him a couple years and is going strong, tho i dun know how many times he's tried to run it over with his car. i suppose that'd destroy any frame. it's definitely the cheapest frame-only sale i can find in any local shop - pake.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2008 edited

Oh, I saw the EAI brassknuckle on a site linked here for $270 w/ shipping to boston- heredongpincher 1000
    i don't know enough about the brassknuckle/bareknuckle to weigh in on it. i've been told the brassknuckle is neither the lightest, nor steepest of alu frames and that the welds are kinda large. as far as they are 'reasonably priced' and can take a beating, i don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008

adam:ps.aarn you have an angus right? how do you like it? i'm thinking about getting one soon.

yeah, i like it alright. i don't like the dropouts. i think they use them for the house bikes at the nsc velodrome in mn.(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008

kilgore_trout:brassknuckle is neither the lightest, nor steepest of alu frames and that the welds are kinda large. as far as they are 'reasonably priced' and can take a beating, i don't know.

Except the head tube, the Brassknuckle IS a Specialized Langster. Take that however you will. All the measurements are the same, and the welds look nearly identical.
    On that note, if they're the same quality, it's pretty much OK.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    lol @ finding opinions on the internets for bareknuckle:

the pink is way faster than the black, but you can't beat the green ones for stiffness.
    I have a pake. it works fine. i'm a courier in chicago. it was a replacement after getting hit a month ago but uh it works fine. "heavy" except that uh, who cares.
    ^Welcome to the forum. I'm the crazy one!
    ^he's the robotic one.

But yeah, welcome.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeMar 30th 2008 edited