Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Anybody know if the out and back marathon ride is happening this Marathon Monday? I know the Rushin Revolution guy is no longer in Boston, but came in for this last year. I'm keen on doing this and coming into work late if it's happening. Anybody know?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008 edited

oh man, is this coming up already? wow.
    ugh(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008

I heard that it's supposed to happen.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    i'll be doing this. either by myself, with a group of friends, or with an organization (such as rushin revolution); i just need to figure out what time i need to get off at.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Super early, Gary. We're talkin' sunup type of early.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2008 edited

i think the runners start at 8?Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    i thought it was the wheelchair racers you had to worry about? that they get sent off early and fucking blaze down the course.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

oh yeah that tooEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

I was talking to a guy I used to work with about this last week. He plans on going ridiculously early in order to avoid the wheelchair racers. Also, riding wicked early means little to no traffic, which is nice.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobs

they started everything 2 hours earlier than ever before last year, sounds like they're doing the same this year. way too early for me! don't froget you have to ride 26 out before riding 26 back. it is a lot of fun though.
    buckley.:I was talking to a guy I used to work with about this last week. He plans on going ridiculously early in order to avoid the wheelchair racers. Also, riding wicked early means little to no traffic, which is nice.

i thought traffic out in the 'burbs was shut down late in the night, and traffic in the downtown part was closed off a few hours before the race started.
    Ohh... when is this?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

April 21st. Wheelchair start is at 9:25 this year.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    Going to be early early, but I'll definitely plan on it with or without the organized group. I can always throw out a meeting place and time if there is nothing else organized.
    Early early = late late late. Just stay up the night before!Word nerd
    endurancenirvana:Going to be early early, but I'll definitely plan on it with or without the organized group. I can always throw out a meeting place and time if there is nothing else organized.

if there's no semi-official organization (such as rushin rev) i'll definitely be up for such a localized ride.
    Where is the start?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    start of the rushin rev ride used to be either landrys or beacon st tavern (something like that) right on beacon near park dr/st mary's st. the start of the marathon is out in hopkington or something.

as late as last sept they still had the mileage markers and 'water' checkpoint markers painted on the ground following the route. so when you're out on a long ride and getting tired but happen to be along the marathon course, you can look down ans see '9 miles left' and you know that in as little as 9 miles you could be back in copley and back in boston.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2008

I was under the impression that the ride was going to be from the finish to the start and back. Maybe I was wrong with that assumption?The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeMar 24th 2008

^well, you have to ride out there.

wtf are you guys talking about early, nick seth and i went for a summer solstice ride last year. i left my house at 4:45am and made it to work at 8:30 after 60+ miles (though i didnt need to be there till 12 so i went home and ate a lot of food). i also used to go for 40 mile rides at 6am quite often with my friend eric because we had class at 9.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrandonc

course map here (pdf)

i'd like to do this, but work may intervene and keep me away like it did last year. we'll see!
    • CommentAuthorcroth

i've done this ride for the last 3 yrs or so, it's a blast. the plan is to get out there with just enough time to have a quick coffee/restroom break, and leave about ten or fifteen minutes before the wheelchairs launch. this way the course is almost entirely clear of pedestrians. there are a few spots along the way where you must evade ambitious patrol officers who want to pull you off the course. if you do get nabbed, usually you just go down a block and get back on the course. we've always had a group of no more than 8 or so. with a larger group we may encounter more problems, but who cares...
    How goes it y'all? Is it that time of year again already? Yeah!

I'll be happy to re-post the downloadable course map from last year and hype it on the RR site. Not sure if Fast Alex's buddy at the Washington Square Tavern is going to be involved but, if I know Jerry, he'll be into it. He always has a great grill and beer spread right on the course that's super fun and that pub is about as bike-friendly as they get. (fyi he is no longer involved with the Beacon St Tavern so Wash square is the place to be..) Keep in mind that, in all the years of riding this course, I've never gotten within 6 blocks of the finish line..don't even try cuz once you're pulled, you're stuck in a huge crowd with a bike. Not fun.

The race is starting early again this year so riders will have to head out around 630 or 7 at the very latest to avoid being pulled on the way back in. Maybe even 6am. I'm in town for a bachelor party the night before so I will not be riding unfortunately.

There are several meeting places along the route depending upon where everyone is coming from. We used to get a group at 1369 in Inman and then meet up with more people near BC and still more out in Wellesley center. Keep in mind the course is open on the way out and only shuts down when you start riding back in. Be safe..

I'll post the printable map and details on the RR site asap. Grab the torch, ride the route!

Mully
    • CommentAuthorLikeJesus
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008

This happening? Getting close now.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

I'm down even if it means waking up at 5:30.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    if there's no 'official'/sponsored group ride, would someone with more bike-connections or who has done this before like to step in and set this up? (possibly looking at david, nick, or seth?? i think)

if not i'll name a time and place, post it on here, and whoever wants to come can come, we can ride at a good pace (or if there are a lot of people with varied strengths split into two groups), ride out along the route, ride back, and hang out somewhere afterwards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

I would like to do this but im not sure if i can wake up that early and then go to work at 3Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

I was planning on riding it. Tori's running the race, so I'll be up early anyway..
    I don't know how much organization we really need, just everyone meet up somewhere early.

also Tori's brother is having a little bbq during the day at his place on beacon st. to watch the folks go by, which i'll be at after riding the course..I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    i'll be on cape cod. no marathon ride for me this year. i will be riding 60+ miles of nice, off-season Cape roads for three days in a row, though.
    I technically have the day off but may be working anyways (students are crunching on their final presentations), but if I'm not I could be convinced to ride out at that ungodly hour.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    I'm riding Wachusett that day. Have fun!
    ^ oh shit thats right! thats much more tempting, although I'd be dead.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

what's in wachusett?
    A mountain?Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

oooh, snap.. I'm a slow kid
    OSNAP.
    ^ hahahaha... AutoCAD humorPh'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    Seriously, Aaron. You in for an ass kicking from wachusset?

You could totally handle it. It's really tough, but I'm sure you'd survive.
    schedule is still to be determined, probably going to end up working though. student projects are due starting Tuesday, so I'd feel like a jerk taking a day off at such an important time. otherwise I'd love to have Wachusset kick my ass, as I'm sure it would. I can't wait for my schedule to change.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2008 edited

I might actually be down for this. I live right off beacon, so I'll probably just catch people around beacon/wash if I can drag my ass outta bed in time.
    EDIT:
    Road bikes or fixed?dongpincher 1000
    I'm down, but only have my fixed. Seems like it'd be pretty fun.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Heads up: Mully sent out an email and dropped a link on the RR site to BostonFixed for people to find groups to ride out with.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLadyBird
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2008

can somebody give me a more detailed descript. of this ride and when and where.
    sounds like fun, im interested and will totally be down for it!i am not a doo doo bird.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

the RR route there
    the BAA marathon route back

The first wave of the wheelchair competitors leave at 9:25am so anyone wanting to do the closed course back has to get to Hopkinton before that. maybe leave from boston proper somewhere around 6:45am so we have a little extra time in case of a flat or something..

I'm gonna do it on my road bike, because my pista isn't set up to do 50 mile rides. I'm happy to wait up/take it easy as long as we get there in time.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    • CommentAuthorLikeJesus

I'm planning on doing it on my Cross bike (w/ road tires), with or without company.

Anyone know anything about this? Might be some company.

Creeps me the fuck out, but I can't quite place why.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHamburger

any definite time/location established for this event?People make decisions.
    • CommentAuthorHowardR

Did the folks in the Allston/Brighton area want to meet at 6:30am at BC? I don't know the area too well but it looks like the corner of Comm ave and College Rd. would be best. It seems the Inman square crowd would be passing by around 6:45am?

Any takers?
    ^ ill meet up at comm ave and college rd, i live pretty close to there.polo
    ^^I'm down so long as fixed won't be a problem.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

i think i'll have my (mostly dura ace with 10 [7800] speed down tube shifters!!!) road bike set up by then. and no work!!!