Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I just spent 10 minutes trying to use the google to find a summary of local hills in terms of grade, total gain, distance, etc. I came up with nothing substantial. Would seem like one of the clubs would have this. Anybody see something like this before?
    I have seen something like this before, as it listed the service road up Washington and few other notably steep climbs in the area. None of our urban favorites made the list, but I beleive Blue Hills was on it.

Are you planning on a torture ride? Just because you're good at climbing doesn't mean you should put the rest of us through hell.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbshea81
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008

oh wait, sorry wrong thread. i thought you guys were talking about the show the hills.fool me once, shame on me. fool me twice, i guess im into trannies
    Somebody definitely needs to compile a resource like that. I'm no climber, but I actually enjoyed getting my ass kicked on the hills. More, please.Word nerd
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

chuck_norris: the service road up Washington

watching Dannyrocks plow up that with a backpack full of beers was a truly inspirational experience. I couldn't even keep up.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2008 edited

•  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

chuck_norris:Just because you're good at climbing doesn't mean you should put the rest of us through hell.

yes it does
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I will be putting on a hill climb competition this summer....If you find a particularly beefy one let me know. I think I might even be able to russle up some prizes and what not.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex

Summit Ave, Brookline

IntenseHey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    raff I el:
    chuck_norris: the service road up Washington

watching Dannyrocks plow up that with a backpack full of beers was a truly inspirational experience. I couldn't even keep up.

FALSE! You got no idea what you're talking about here.

There ain't no hill on any of the Washington Streets in Boston that rises over 4000' like Mount Washington. Better luck next time!
    i remember joshua and i used some pretty weak trig (or atleast i did) and i think came up with summit ave brookline being an average of around 9% grade, and the summit hill in blue hills being around 12-13% grade
    Nick, weren't parts of that first climb in Arlington upwards of 15%?Word nerd
    My garmin showed me numbers of 13% when I looked down, but honestly, I probably wasn't looking at it at the steepest parts--- My eyes were probably closed while I was praying for the hill to end.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2008

I made a wrong turn on the way to work today, and went over "Mt. Ida" in newtonville.
    Not a real long climb, but a steep one.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009

Anyone know the grade of Summit Ave? I've ridden it a few times over the past couple days and wouldn't mind having a # to use to put the TDF climbs into perspective.

(sorry to resurrect such an old thread)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ^Hmmm:

kilgore_trout:i remember joshua and i used some pretty weak trig (or atleast i did) and i think came up with summit ave brookline being an average of around 9% grade, and the summit hill in blue hills being around 12-13% grade
    Word nerd
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009 edited

I saw that, but also saw that they used 'weak trig' to figure it out. I have no idea whether or not 9% sounds reasonable and was just wondering if anyone was more certain about a number.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorRob Gigantic
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2009 edited

Well, according to Gmap pedometer, there's a 183.7 foot vertical change over 0.3915 miles. When you plug those figures into this Grade Percent Incline and Decline Calculator, you get an average grade of 8.886760323541933%. Not quite 9%.

EDIT: I reread the definitions of the terms on that calculator and realized that I was misinterpreting the "horizontal distance" value. Apparently, it's the straight distance, not the driving distance. Employing the Pythagorean theorem, I came up with the slightly more accurate grade of 8.922061147853618%.Word nerd
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2009 edited

Well that now makes it a lot more sobering to hear about the pros riding 6 or 7 percent grades for miles on end. And at such high speeds. Pretty incredible.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009

i think it's the road near cathedral ledge in north conway, nh, but i couldn't get up it on my road bike in the lowest gear standin' up. i got almost up, but not all the way. very steep. i think you'd need a triple granny to get up that fucker.
    • CommentAuthorspokenword
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2009

from chuck_norris:
    I have seen something like this before, as it listed the service road up Washington and few other notably steep climbs in the area.

you're maybe thinking of NEBC's Climb Central? Note that this is mainly for stuff that lies outside of I-495. I don't know of anything that lists stuff inside 495, much less stuff in Rt. 128.

If you want something steep and local, you can try taking Concord Ave. out of Harvard Square, once you go into Belmont, stay on Concord and ride it up and past Belmont Day School, then come down the other side, right at the fork onto Winter, follow to Mass Ave then take a right and head towards Arlington Heights, make a right at Park St. and ride that up to the water tower. Go over Rt. 2, take the second exit on the rotary onto Prospect St. ride that down to Rt. 60, make another right follow to Concord Ave. and do it all over again.
    • CommentAuthorgo4broke44
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009

Summit ave is average 8-9%, with a small section towards the top that comes to about 11%

I believe blue hills is about the same avg grade, with sections of 11-12% towards the top. I did the calcs for it back in college when I used to ride them a lot, using topo maps and such.

Wellesley Hills is a good uphill as well. take comm ave out over 95, make the first left onto Park Rd, then take the right onto intervale road and follow that up, continuing on Byron Rd. all the way up to Cliff/Glen rds which is pretty much the top. I think I used to use google earth to find hills, panning over areas with the cursor displays the elevation at the bottom of the screen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJeremiah
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2009

^ I work right over there (Wellesley Hills), have driven/run through most of that. Definitely some decent hills and some good curves!IRO-Torro
    • CommentAuthorgo4broke44
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2009

another good one is out by hellenic college.

go out huntington past brig circle, under bridge, take the left on pond st. follow out to jamaica pond, take perkins to cottage to goddard, climb up through the curves to the top which is around the larz anderson park. Even more fun on the descent if you come back that way.
    ^man i got lost out there once. it sucked, though i think i'd been doing it on purpose/not at night after a softball game, it would have been fun.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorwmorein
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2009 edited

I've been looking for a list like the one the original poster was seeking, but since I didn't find anything I just created one. From this thread and a few others, I think I captured most of the most frequently mentioned ones, but if anyone knows of others to add just reply and I'll add them (it is easiest if you just create a MapMyRide ride and link to it so I can get the info directly).
    You should host this site on Geocities if possible.

Also, steep hills in Boston? Is this a joke? Firstly, you all want to go up hills... For fun?! Seriously, get girlfriends.

Mt. Washington lol. If you want a hill, you have to leave Massachusetts. Calling 4k feet a mountain is a joke.