Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008

i'm shootin' for 10,000 this year. am a little behind pace, but with good weather i think i can catch back up. did a little over 8000 last year. 23 miles minimum a day commute means all i have to do is 10 more a day for 10000 mile per year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

yikes i hate these kinda things.. I'm so horrible at keeping track.. longest ride this year 72 miles though, but that was the only time I have done over 40 :-(
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

I'm way behind last year's pace. I think I might have done 10,000+ last year with work + nonsense riding. Lately, I'm only riding an average of 5-10 miles a day, and really need to get back into it.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    buckley.:Lately, I'm only riding an average of 5-10 miles a day, and really need to get back into it.

i'm glad i'm not the only one. most of it, for me, is mental. i perceive anything below 60 as too chilly. what's up with that?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

You need to stop being a nancy, and go ride bikes. That's what's up with it.

Problem is that I work maybe a mile or so away from home, and don't have much reason to ride farther right now.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

I'm with you buckley. My long ride to work is 4 miles. BWAAAAhahAHAHAAAA what a joke.
    I feel like moving to waltham just to make myself ride more.

I dropped 8K miles a year between 07 and 06. 08 hopefully is going to be better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbshea81

i have a 150 mile race in mid june so i need to get on it soon and get back in shape. i'm down for meeting up for some long weekend rides once my collarbone (snowboarding, not biking endurancedick) is back at it.fool me once, shame on me. fool me twice, i guess im into trannies
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

Active Body is great for this. really simple interface and you can make teams and stuff and compete with each other as well as the running totals for other teams/states. you can also keep track of running and other activities and compare them.(moscow)
    I keep a stupid little spreadsheet. For the last 4 weeks I've averaged a little under 200 miles/ week, excluding my short little commute. I pretty much keep record for about 4 months at the beginning of every year, then I say "what am I trying to prove" and give up. Then in December I get really frustrated that I gave up. I've done this same exact thing 3 years running.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

^the trick is to keep it a secret...once you tell someone you goals, for some reason or another, it all goes out the window.(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

^^^^haha actually I'm not sure if being called endurancedick is entirely a bad thing.. I mean it's probably better than zeroendurancedick..
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

I do 14 a day average for my commute, and then there is all the other extra rides I make for fun/profit/food/etc. I would say I am doing about 84 a week. Every week all year.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2008 edited

i bike to work year round (rain, sleet, snow, unbearable cold) but i just got back into doing rides for the hell of it. i do about 20 miles a week commute and other things. this morning i did about 30 miles my stupid computer crapped out at some point so i don't know the exact amount. I dont really keep track month by month to avoid any disappointment ...Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    Anybody know what an average Cat 1/2 (not pro) would ride over the course of the year? I would assume pros are in the 20,000/year range.

I figure I've been between 6K and 10K for the past 9 years. I recently read about the guy trying to get to one million miles for his life but sadly I'll never get to that number.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

chuck_norris:I keep a stupid little spreadsheet. For the last 4 weeks I've averaged a little under 200 miles/ week, excluding my short little commute. I pretty much keep record for about 4 months at the beginning of every year, then I say "what am I trying to prove" and give up. Then in December I get really frustrated that I gave up. I've done this same exact thing 3 years running.

what do you not have spreadsheets for?

i never kept track of milage for longer then a week, and the most for that was 436 or so, but i also rode to nyc that week as well.

maybe i am old fashioned and like to just ride my bike and have some fun instead of thinking about everything.
    One million equals 20K/yr for 50 years. If your guess is right about pro cyclists, not even pros could reach that figure in their lifetimes. Unless you're that crazy RAAM guy, maybe.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

RAAM guy?

[edit] never mind. race across america.
    those guys are nuts, and so is everyone else capable of staying awake 4 days straight. i used to be able to, but not with any major physical activity
    •  
      CommentAuthorRob Gigantic

Crazy RAAM guy. Edit: In brief.Word nerd
    endurancenirvana:Anybody know what an average Cat 1/2 (not pro) would ride over the course of the year? I would assume pros are in the 20,000/year range.

Well, what do you know, the article I quoted about the Race Across America guy claims that he trains 335 days a year in addition to races, and that he logs 28,000 miles on the bike. And he's the ultracycling champion.Word nerd
    Robic is one of the best crazy people ever. Definitely a legend.

You should read Joe Friel's book and the following:
    http://www2.trainingbible.com/joesblog/2007/12/volume-vs-intensity.html
    ^One of my favorite Times articles in the past few years. I posted this a year or two ago:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html

Crazy!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

from wikipedia-
    "Jure Robi? (born April 10, 1965) is a Slovenian cyclist and soldier in the Slovenian Army."

Slovenian Army?? i bet that dude makes for one badass soldier..
    •  
      CommentAuthorpetebow

ive been logging some pretty good miles. about 60 a week going to school and back, and another 40-60 for fun riding. getting ready to bike from boston to albany this spring has helped get some good miles in!!
    Notice onetontaco didn't post his miles.

That's top-secret.
    •  
      CommentAuthormur
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2008

^ he tried, but the number was just too large for the intertubes to handle.~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    • CommentAuthorHank

I rode home from Bedford to Mission Hill yesterday (17 miles) and felt like a champ... haha I need to work on that :(
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

conor: i perceive anything below 60 as too chilly. what's up with that?

I perceive anything above 60 as getting too warm. Not that I won't bike in warmer weather but over 60 and I get drippy and stinky. I'm averaging 60-70 miles a week year round.We are the small axe.
    chuck_norris:Notice onetontaco didn't post his miles.

That's top-secret.

I haven't really been keeping track of my mileage (though I should be). I've been training / racing around 15 hours per week, maybe a little more, so around 300 miles per week. That doesn't include cruising around and things like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthormur

here's an article about some tough races (not all are cycling), posted in the spirit of the mentioned Race Across America (which is mentioned in the article).~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    ^Awesome. I know one of the six finishers in Barklay's history. David Horton is Race Director for a hard race I did in the Blue Ridge mountains two years ago. One of the nicest people I've met. Article about him running the Pacific Crest Trail in about 62 days here
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2008

^cavedog.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2008

so how many miles ya gonna end up with (for those who care about shit like that)? i'm endin' 2008 with around 8500 miles. (i'm gonna check the exact figure when i get home).
    • CommentAuthorPLyTheMan

I think for my one and only new years resolution (that I have half a chance at keeping) I'm going to start logging my miles... Riding out to school and back every day is about 21 mi a day, so in a full week I have a good 105. Throw in side trips and jaunts around Boston and I should be able to rack up a fair amount of miles this coming year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

i haven't ridden a bike in over a week.
    Brunop, nicely done. Do you just track it on a spreadsheet?

I wound up just over 6k, but that doesn't include commuting or around town errands. I keep a training log, but don't count my commute or any errands or bar hopping as training, but work is only about a 6 mile round trip.
    I know I have over ~1.5k miles on my road bike, and god only knows what on my trainer, with the vast majority of it being all solo. Let's see what happens in 2k9.

I have too much of a social life. :\But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i probably did a little over 3k commuting to my internship for a few months, but beyond that training miles logged was pathetic. things to work on for the new year.
    • CommentAuthorbluedog

I'm finishing 2008 on a low note, I haven't been on bike in about a week either. Between unemployment and bad weather I haven't traveled more than a mile from my house in that time either. I didn't keep track this year but I usually average about 3-4k miles a year.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    •  
      CommentAuthortinhat

i'd be surprised if i rode more than 1200 miles (that's a little over my 3 mile commute to and from work times 365) in a year. i'd like to ride more but i can't really come up with anywhere to go.
    • CommentAuthorPLyTheMan

Hey, would anyone want me to make a spreadsheet for all this? I'm prolly gonna make one up myself anyway, so I can share after. What would be important to put on it? Right now I'm just gonna have input for distance and time to calc out how far you rode by day/month/year and avg speed per day/month/year. Anything else I should add? Or is there already an excel sheet floating around that wouldn't require me to make one?
    I have one. Whisper me your address if you want a copy and I'll email it.
    • CommentAuthorslowski

in the last year alone the 2 (of 5) metroped trikes with odometers had more than 1500 miles on them each. but then again it seemed like half the time the damn things weren't connected anyway.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

I had my highest mileage year ever this year.
    7k+
    I didn't even have a road bike until the beginning of july.
    Awesome.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2009

chuck_norris:Brunop, nicely done. Do you just track it on a spreadsheet?

I wound up just over 6k, but that doesn't include commuting or around town errands. I keep a training log, but don't count my commute or any errands or bar hopping as training, but work is only about a 6 mile round trip.

nah, i write it down at the end of the day on a calendar. and i checked for sure. for 08 i had 8444.3 miles. i'm shootin' for 10k this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2009 edited

My commute to work from January 5th to June 26th is ~30 miles round trip. I hope to do it daily, though if there is a bad storm going on I may take the bus instead. That'd be ~3600 miles for the mon-fri commute alone if I road every single day. After that I'll be back in school, which is a ~12 mile round trip. That'll probably give me another 1100+ miles before the year ends. Add what I ride on weekends and I'll probably break 5000 miles this year without any training, just fun and transportation. Have fun and stay safe :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMiiike
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2009

in 2004, i ran >2.5k miles. on foot :x -- i don't think i did that on my bike this year, though. i used to be crazy about recording stuff like that, but now i'm just lazy.sports!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009 edited

let's start back this thread just to show how big our dicks are.

post up yer monthly miles.

january--347. (pitiful)

february--467.

for 2008 i had over 8000.

so there.
    • CommentAuthorowen
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2009

I used to record this stuff really well back when I rode my other bike alot, which has a bike computer. My usual day is 7 miles to school, then 2 to work, and then 6 back to my apartment, but usually it's more because I run errands and stuff too. Less on the weekends.
    Lost track, but I think last year was around 8K. I'm counting all the junk miles, though, unlike purist Chuck Norris up there, though!