Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraarn
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007 edited

Since moving here I have been looking for good places to get a decent cup of coffee without traveling to the north end.
    Just wondering where people like to get their fix and if it's quality.

2nd Cup in Allston is new and probably makes the best cup in close proximity to my pad. There's also this place that makes crepes further outbound on Brighton ave that has a nice new espresso machine and makes a good cup.(moscow)
    1369there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007

starbucks. for strong black coffee it's the way to go. i don't care what anyone says. i only drink it black and for black it's the best. you can taste it. i never understood folks puttin' milk and sugar and all sortsa shit in their fuckin' coffee and turnin' it into liquid candy.

black as da ace o' spades bro!
    •  
      CommentAuthortylersage

i avoid starbucks at all costs, but downtown there is flat black, they have good coffee and day old pastries for cheap, in the bay there is Espresso Royale with good coffee and tons of good snacks and in Cambridge there is Toscanini's with very good coffee and snacks and ice cream, and vegan ice cream sometimes, i think.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

bloc 11 in union square i love. their coffee ain't nothin' special, but the place is. i hope they're in business forever. i just wish they had a beer and wine liscence (i can never spell that).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbikefever

hooray for coffee! mom+pop is the way to go.

gorilla's not particularly local, but if you're ever in park slope...
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

richardmylove:1369

its where i go.

2.00 for a coffee

2.25 for their travel mug full of coffee and 1.40 refills get the punch card and every 10th cup is freeThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    excatally!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

Simon's (mass ave next to porter sq.)

ERC (@ Gainsboro)

mariposa (mass ave In Central)

My house
    bikefever:...gorilla's not particularly local, but if you're ever in park slope...

I had this New Year's day brunch there (I think)! It was amazing!!! I still like Oslo better for coffee but this is about Boston, home of *ugh* Dunkin'.
    -bot[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

brunop:starbucks. for strong black coffee it's the way to go. i don't care what anyone says. i only drink it black and for black it's the best. you can taste it. i never understood folks puttin' milk and sugar and all sortsa shit in their fuckin' coffee and turnin' it into liquid candy.

I don't know. YMMV, but i think that it's starbucks corporate policy to make the drip coffee as bad as possible so that you'll buy the fancy stuff.

For corporate chain coffee, i think peets is better. For more indy coffee shop action, i tend to go to the 1369 or darwins.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorHamburger

i like 1369...but i LOVE simon's on mass ave in cambridge, plus they give me a price break with a commuter mugPeople make decisions.
    i dont know man, starbucks is very consistent with the black cup of joe and it is great, plus they are found every five to ten feet in the city.there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

richardmylove:i dont know man, starbucks is very consistent with the black cup of joe and it is great, plus they are found every five to ten feet in the city.

and don't fergit ya git to listen to sweet baby james 24/7!
    hahah, they treated me great as an employee too. even when i had my 2in plugs and shit they hired me. solid companythere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    • CommentAuthorNicole

its all about darwins and ERC. i buy Peets coffee for my house and i tend to enjoy their colombian
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

i only drink it black tooThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    just like my men....there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    and my metal...there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    • CommentAuthorJer

1369 coffee is decent (both locations)
    Espresso Royale by BU is good, but only some of the baristas are good
    CafeNation in Brighton is pretty good
    Herrell's in Allston isn't bad
    JP Licks won Best of Boston for Coffee in 2006, but that is fucking rubbish. Their coffee is mediocre at best.

Starbucks espresso drinks are poor, but consistently poor. Used to be much better before they "upgraded" to the automatic machines.
    Peets is better than SB, but not the best..
    Seattle's Best is probably the best of the chains..
    But if I'm just getting regular coffee I'd go to Dunk'n over any of these, at least they use real cream

Haven't been to 2nd Cup or Darwin's yet.. Thanks for heads up..
    ERC @ BU is across from my grad program bldg, so I go there often, though the coffee is only ok. I keep meaning to check out some of the places near me in Allston. While I have yet to try the coffee at the Allston Harrell's, I find their folks have messed up my ice cream and frappes a number of times - much to my dismay.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorJer

estratton:ERC @ BU is across from my grad program bldg, so I go there often, though the coffee is only ok. I keep meaning to check out some of the places near me in Allston. While I have yet to try the coffee at the Allston Harrell's, I find their folks have messed up my ice cream and frappes a number of times - much to my dismay.

Well, the problem is customer service. Most of the people working at coffee shops don't give a shit about what they are doing. If I'm paying $4 for a cup of brown hot water it should be pretty fucking good. It isn't, and it makes me sick. I'd say 50% of the quality of espresso drinks comes from the barista.. I go to the ERC@BU fairly often, and 25% of my drinks from them are great, the other 75% are fair. This is due to the ppl not foaming correctly, packing too tight, or too fine a grind..

I can't really blame them for not caring about a min-wage job, but the business shouldn't be claiming to have top of the line coffee when it is so inconsistent. Mother Fuckers.

Anyway.. Moscow, to answer your question. There is a place is Brookline where you can get authentic itallian espresso drinks. It is called Cafe Le Scalia, it is in the mall at the intersection of Babcock and Harvard. Right in Coolidge Corner.. It has odd hours and is hard to find because it is off the street, and the atmosphere is weird, but if you like the real shit, that is where to go. I swear it is the only place you can get a drink where the guy cares about how it is made. Personally I prefer a more americanized cappuccino, but his drinks are top of the line.

Jeremy "hates bad coffee" chase
    ^More reason for me to get my own one of these.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

All you indoor climbing cats should know about cafe toscana. Behind the CVS (across from kappys) in Medford. Bestest damn Italian espresso in the us. When the North end became an Italian theme park, all the olde country moved up to Medford. It shows when you walk in the door.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

estratton:^More reason for me to get my own one of these.

i got a six cup one of those. it's sweet. takes me like 5-8min every morning for the best fucking coffee. for cheap.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    richardmylove:and my metal...

stop stealing my line!

I'm a fan of Toscanini's due to its proximity to HQ.
    1369 is nice but I haven't gone there enough to really have an opinion either way.
    Diesel in Davis is alright for when I'm looking for a change of scenery (and they usually have vegan muffins).

With the addition to our household of Mr. Coffee I've just been buying some grounds and making my own to save money though. Nothing fancy but it gets the job done.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    javier:
    estratton:^More reason for me to get my own one of these.

i got a six cup one of those. it's sweet. takes me like 5-8min every morning for the best fucking coffee. for cheap.

So you would recommend it. Sweet. Been trying to find someone who has one. Now where should I get coffee from. Grind it myself or preground?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

Go to Sherman's in Union Square. Honestly I have no idea what their coffee is like because I always get tea. But it's a good cafe and needs some support right now.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

one thing i've noticed is that starbucks folks are ALWAYS friendly as hell. they seem genuinely so. most (not all, but most for sure) "independent" cafe folks are pricks or so fuckin' cool they can't be bothered to get your order right. why is that?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

Jer:
    Anyway.. Moscow, to answer your question. There is a place is Brookline where you can get authentic itallian espresso drinks. It is called Cafe Le Scalia, it is in the mall at the intersection of Babcock and Harvard. Right in Coolidge Corner..

Word, that is what I was looking for...not a discussion about starbucks. And I have been to a lot of these shops around, I just wanted to get some people's thoughts on places and find some new ones. I've been here going on 6yrs (may have been deceiving in the initial post).(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

estratton:
    So you would recommend it. Sweet. Been trying to find someone who has one. Now where should I get coffee from. Grind it myself or preground?

yeah, but if you have a gas stove def. get the taller 6cup one. i have a shorter 3cup one too and the handle gets wicked hot and has even melted a little..you can always take the extra with you in a thermos..
    and i say grind your own, i think it makes it taste fresher (might just be pyschological, but isn't everything).
    i also grind it a little too fine and pack it extra dense, comes out all syrup-like..hmmmm...I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    bikefever:hooray for coffee! mom+pop is the way to go.

gorilla's not particularly local, but if you're ever in park slope...

truth! i also agree with the statement about oslo. but yeah, neither are in boston.

espresso royale was always good to me. i used to spend a lot of time in herrell's but their coffee was fucking awful..flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

I want to make a sick coffee roaster eventually...I can't decide between old school or totally automated...it's on of those projects on the list.*

*everyone has one...it's like the things to make/do before I die list...it's like 5,000 pages long.(moscow)
    • CommentAuthorgone

I used to work at the Cumberland Farms in Concord, and they had about 12 flavors of Coffee and you could get as much as you wanted at the 79 cent "refill" price so long as you brought yr own big enough mug.

But anyway, Tyler was right to mention FlatBlack-
    If you're going to bother paying for coffee (and you happen to be in Liberty Square and/or Fields Corner) that is going to be your best bet.

Having said that, most of the time when I feel motivated to purchase Coffee, I am not in Liberty Square, but rather across the street from the Dunkin' Donuts on Seaport Blvd. And somehow I always get suckered into the combo deal with the muffin. Why is this?
    • CommentAuthorgc

estratton:and frappes

you learn quicklygone
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

i usually do ERC on newbury or gainsborough because of the mad hookup... but thats more for the sandwiches than everything. bacon egg and cheese and a medium coffee makes me happy in the morning.
    javier:...i say grind your own, i think it makes it taste fresher (might just be pyschological, but isn't everything)...

Grinding your beans (per use) is better as the grounds aren't sitting around getting oxidized & loosing their flavor. Once unsealed, good whole bean coffee should be kept in a low humidity enviroment away from direct sunlight (such as a sealed container) and should be used in a couple of weeks (depending on the relative humidity).
    Also, don't ever freeze your beans as this will ruin the flavor. Some people refrigerate their beans between use but that is unnecessary. Additionally, the condenation that occurs once the beans hit warm air will cause them to take on moisture & become stale.
    -coffee bot[all your base are belong to us]
    mncplfreedom:
    Having said that, most of the time when I feel motivated to purchase Coffee, I am not in Liberty Square, but rather across the street from the Dunkin' Donuts on Seaport Blvd. And somehow I always get suckered into the combo deal with the muffin. Why is this?

this happened to me during last winter when i was still working for city. it was like at least once or twice a week this occurred. i have no idea why. i think it was just the knowledge that i'd be stuck on that side of the channel for a while and shitty weather.

for coffee shops i say ERC. it's nothing special but they're very nice about letting us couriers hang out on their stoop.

i also agree with javier, a greca is the way to go.
    alexi gigantic:
    mom+pop is the way to go.

if mom and pop shops didn't screw their employees

So by that rational I should order all of my bike stuff from nashbar.com?[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorMacDonald
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007

I used to work at Hunts in Kenmore sq.
    There is a ritzy little pastry shop right under that below the sidewalk. (I forget the name)
    not expensive and I always thought it was better than starbucks or dunkins
    le lion couchant:
    estratton:and frappes

you learn quickly

Hahaha.... yeah, you make that mistake once and you have learned.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

alexi gigantic:
    well you said cup of coffee, not sissy espresso drink

I don't know many things sissier than starbucks. And If I wanted drip coffee to taste like that I would go back to the factory that I used to work at and drink the fake folgers, and then get a plastic spoon and eat the chunky beef stew directly out of the can cold with the retarded guy who threaded rod all day. Ok, i guess that was a bit much, starbucks isn't that bad, that factory coffee was like nothing i have ever tasted before...like it was brewed through dirty drawers or something.(moscow)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

^bwuahahahahahhI'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    • CommentAuthorgone

moscow:
    alexi gigantic:
    well you said cup of coffee, not sissy espresso drink

I don't know many things sissier than starbucks. And If I wanted drip coffee to taste like that I would go back

upstairs to my grandparents' house and watch Jeopardy and eat Entemann's Cake.

But I do that anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn

mncplfreedom:
    upstairs to my grandparents' house and watch Jeopardy and eat Entemann's Cake.

you are right, that is sissier than starbucks.(moscow)
    moscow:that factory coffee was like nothing i have ever tasted before...like it was brewed through dirty drawers or something.

Out of high school I pumped CAD at a machine shop and I think they had the same coffee. probably the same coffee pot.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthorbluedog

you're all pansies...

I fly to Colombia, rip handfuls of beans right off the trees and juice them on the spot with my bare hands. it's the only way to drink coffee.that's when I reach for my revovler...