Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007

i heard that some bike shops rent hardcases but i've never had the need to fly with my bike..yellowpagesgone
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007

le lion couchant:i heard that some bike shops rent hardcases but i've never had the need to fly with my bike..yellowpages

Ace rents em for $50 a week I think
    I called REI and they say they don't ship bikes anymore. : ( so that option is out.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited

cinderella:I called REI and they say they don't ship bikes anymore. : ( so that option is out.

you can still send your bike

go to a bike shop, ask nicely for an empty frame box, tip the dude

and box it up

measure the dimensions and check rates online for what is cheapest

there are like 10001 "how to box your bike for shipping" tutorials online
    theres also good info in the first part of this thread
    here is one i found from the google:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_1627_pack-bike-ship.html

hints:
    the smallest box you can get your bike into will be the cheapest
    fedex was cheapest last time i shipped just a frame
    if you use ups, its way way cheaper if you go directly to an actual ups shipping depot/warehouse (NOT: "the ups store")
    theres one in watertown near the malls, there might be others in thera area
    i think fedex is also cheaper if you go to a fedex kinkos location and ship it there (but dont quote me)
    amtrak/greyhound freight is super cheap, but it makes it hard to get on the pickup end if you are not near an amtrak station where they handle freight and they might kick your bike around a bit on greyhound freight

if you still need a cardboard bike box i have one i could give you and help you with packing and such. but it's really not that hardgone
    • CommentAuthorcindierock
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2007 edited

le lion couchant:
    cinderella:I called REI and they say they don't ship bikes anymore. : ( so that option is out.

and box it up

hints:
    if you use ups, its way way cheaper if you go directly to an actual ups shipping depot/warehouse (NOT: "the ups store")
    i think fedex is also cheaper if you go to a fedex kinkos location and ship it there (but dont quote me)
    amtrak/greyhound freight is super cheap, but it makes it hard to get on the pickup end if you are not near an amtrak station where they handle freight and they might kick your bike around a bit on greyhound freight

if you still need a cardboard bike box i have one i could give you and help you with packing and such. but it's really not that hard

I bought my bike off the internet so it came shipped to me in a box that I kept and I hope I kept all the little things it came with (except I think the bike shop threw away the plastic cover to the rear derailer) ....

I am just worried about when I get to the place. Wanna teach me how to adjust brake lines? I have to take off the handlebars, pedals, seat, and front wheel to fit in the box. I am pretty sure I could muscle on some pedals, the seat, and hopefully the front wheel. The handlebars can't be that hard either. I just don't know what to do about the cables.

[EDIT] and I am going to New Zealand with my bike and don't know where I will be living until I get there and I tried to look up bike shops that I could take it to there that could help me, but since I have no idea where I will be, I don't know which one is closest : \
    thanks for all your tips!
    robs bike box worked awesome and i was not charged for weight, even with my chain lock inside the box!

oh, and you all should check out SF, best place ever!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    richardmylove:thanks for all your tips!
    robs bike box worked awesome and i was not charged for weight, even with my chain lock inside the box!

oh, and you all should check out SF, best place ever!

So, where'd you get the bike box? Care to share?A man becometh what he thinketh.
    ^dittoclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobs
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007

last i talked to travis about those travel cases, he is in a state of "redesigning" them, as the old way was too costly and time consuming. the ones he made for prizes at the naccc last year were nowhere near as fancy as rob's. give him a call, he's a sweetheart. i think his phone number was on that ad on the previous page of this thread.

whether you're charged or not 100% hinges on the person checking your bag. when i had to pay for taking the freight case, they told me i had to pay because it wouldn't fit on the conveyor belt, not because it was over a size limit. they claimed they didn't even have a ruler to measure it. i went and bought a tape measure from an airport store, and was then clowned when the box was over their limit by 3".
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2007

that's pretty funny
    jacobs: they claimed they didn't even have a ruler to measure it. i went and bought a tape measure from an airport store, and was then clowned when the box was over their limit by 3".
    gone
    Yeah, that sounds about right. That freight bag adds up to 65 dimensional inches...most airlines cut it off at 62.A man becometh what he thinketh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2007

Yeah, give Travis a call. It took a while to get mine, but the results have been awesome. As Jacob noted, mine is slightly over the size limit, so if you measured you'd be boned. But it's a pretty safe gamble that you won't get charged. The box has been flown about five times now, which means it's had 10 opportunities to get tagged with an oversize charge. So it's worked 90% of the time. Which means my box alone has saved cyclists over $700 in extra airline fees. So the bag has more than paid for itself.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2008

So in two weeks I'm going to Nebraska and bringing my bike. Northwest does not require bikes to be placed in boxes, just that the pedals be removed or wrapped, as well as handlebars being turned or removed. Anyone have any experience with this?
    le lion:

and box it up

hints:

if you still need a cardboard bike box i have one i could give you and help you with packing and such. but it's really not that hard

maybe i should've read more of the comments left.. however..yeah i'll give ya a box for alomost nothing with packaging..we do this all the time..you just have to ask..we also have rented out our bike suitcases as well...not that pricey..yeah but yeah.there you have it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

buddymike:So in two weeks I'm going to Nebraska and bringing my bike. Northwest does not require bikes to be placed in boxes, just that the pedals be removed or wrapped, as well as handlebars being turned or removed. Anyone have any experience with this?

I would still box that shit! find shop from shop to hook you up with a box, be prepared to tip either cash or beer, and remove the bar/seat/wheels/pedals and pack her up nicely..

I wouldn't trust nourthwest not to fuck it up, or to wait to you get to the check'n line an turn you away..
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike

I'm going to call around to rent boxes. Depends on price and stuff. The only reason I'm thinking of using a box is to pack it two the smallest dimensions where they won't bother charging me an 80 buck fee each way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobs
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited

buddymike:So in two weeks I'm going to Nebraska and bringing my bike. Northwest does not require bikes to be placed in boxes, just that the pedals be removed or wrapped, as well as handlebars being turned or removed. Anyone have any experience with this?

if they'll let me, i always do this.

flying home from europe, they've never made me box my bike. i feel like it's going to be 100x safer if the baggage handlers can't stand on the box/throw stuff on top of it/etc.

also - i've never had an airline lose my bike not boxed, but they've "lost" it at least half of the time it was boxed. it always shows up a few hours/days later, but it would have made things easier if i could have just said "you lost my bike, it's a bike" instead of trying to pick the exact color/shape of the box off a chart.
    If anyone wants to rent/trade for my bike case for a trip let me know, it has made many safe flights.

here is the link to the case

LINK
    there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    Ive flown jetblue several times with full size bike boxes, (the kind with the rear wheel and fork still on). One of these was an interbike run with 5 bikes for 4 passengers. We was never charged.

I dont know if its policy or if the folk that work there are just nice people.im the mad midnight bomber what bombs at midnigh! yeah baby yeah!
    The ticket agents definitely have leeway about the extra charge. Last time I flew (with my Freight Baggage case), nobody even asked me what was inside it. That was also with Jetblue.Word nerd
    It seems JetBlue is the best way to fly with a bike.
    My huge case was only charged because it was 10 pounds over weight and the agent apologized about it!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    Delta is not the airline to fly on with a bike, at least if it’s in an oversized box.

I’ve never had any trouble flying with my homemade bike box that is very similar to the Freight box. Probably used it 10 times and only been asked about the contents a couple, but always avoided charges. On a recent trip to Florida, I needed to take a full carbon bike and another frame. Since I needed the extra space I borrowed Rich’s oversized box. The flight down was perfect the flight back, not so much:

I arrived at the airport and was immediately questioned about the contents from the Delta check-in lady. I evaded the questions with the standard “It’s trade show equipment” response. After some measuring they determined that it was not only oversized, but it wouldn’t actually fit on our flight. Apparently the trip back was on a smaller plane that had tiny storage space. So what was their solution? Charge me $100 and reroute me on a non-direct flight, adding 2 hours to my travel time. I arrived in Boston after midnight so I missed the last T. Now I had to pay for a cab, and pay an additional fee to get a van-cab because my box wouldn’t fit in a regular cab’s trunk.

I’m not so much of a delta fan anymore. Go with Jet Blue or someone else (I’ve had really good luck with AirTran) even if it’s a few bucks more when you’re booking the flight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorravnos
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008

In general I've found Air Tran to be consistently the cheapest airline to fly with, but I only primarily fly to Philly, and thats their hub, so it's cheaper to fly there than other places with them.

That's usually a good help too, find out if the airport you are flying to is a major hub for one of the airlines, their flight will always be a little cheaper (at least compared to that airlines tickets to other cities anyway).Question Reality. "Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear."
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008

Jetblue! they charged me like 15 bucks cus the box had my tools in it too and was therefore heavy as shit.. and didn't charge me anything of the return trip.

*note avoid checking tools cus they get heavy quick but beware of the hassle of trying to get a lot of tools past security (multi tools=not ok, in my experiences)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited

Now the million dollar question... are bikes allowed on the silver line?
    Found the answer. The answer is no.
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008 edited

I wasn't charged extra by United, even though their website says they charge $85. My suitecase was also 2lbs overweight and that was no problem either .... But I was transfering to Air New Zealand which doesn't charge for bikes, so maybe that influenced the ticket guy?

Edit: and I used the huge box with the fork and rear wheel still on. It was fun to wheel it around on this cart through customs and almost knock over everyone/everything. Even more fun trying to get it on this x-ray conveyer belt and trying to convince the customs biohazard people that I only ride it on the road and that I cleaned the tires before I boxed it...
    ^Only ride it on the road versus, what, only riding it through fields of human waste?

Many airlines only charge the extra bike fee for domestic flights. Another reason I don't ever feel bad for cheating their system.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorgazzer

i avoided the $150 airFrance fee in NYC, the overly flirtatious dude at the counter tilted his head and smiled at me asking what was in the bag, i smiled back sheepishly and told him a bunch of clothes and stuff. and i think there was some winking involved. it might have helped too b/c i paid the $5 to have some other dude wrap it in a million layers of like that plastic seran wrappy protection. it all depends on who you get and your willingness to flirt with anyoneYou know, if I were to die right now, in some sort of fiery explosion due to the carelessness of a friend...well, that would just be ok.
    "Is that a guillotine in your bag, or are you just happy to see me?"Word nerd

Rob Gigantic:^Only ride it on the road versus, what, only riding it through fields of human waste?

NZ is super paranoid about you bringing in dirt from other places that will mess up their ecosystem or something. Like if you being hiking boots that don't appear super clean, they make you clean them. You can't bring seeds or dirt or fruit or vegetables or meat... basically anything.

From the random bike box, I had to convince them it was a road bike that I have only ridden on the road. vs. like a mountain bike that's coated in dirt or maybe an off-roaded road bike.. who knows
    ^wow.... good to know.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    NZ is crazy. tons of broken glass EVERYWHERE. tons of huge semi-trucks with like double frieght back end things (that have a thing i nthe middle like osme of the MBTA buses so that they can turn) .....

i can't wait to get back i nboston, except for the old fat couple i saw that rode a tandem bike with aerospokes in the south island at this cafe. they made my day. they rode up and set their bike outside (people lock their bikes with like string here or not at all.. i saw a guy i thought was a messanger just lay his bike outside while he ran up some office building's stairs... i waited outside bc i wanted to ask him quick where the closest bike shop was if he knew but i decided against it and just went home)....

but tandem road bike with aero spokes = my favorite thing i have seen... i wish i had taken a picture.. huge fat old guy with beard and fat old lady with short hair... my heroes
    •  
      CommentAuthorPanameM
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2008 edited

hey im flying out on jetblue this weekend and i was wondering if anyone had advice on taking a bike. its a national flight.
    also is there a way around the $50 fee?

ive never tried this so any tips/advice welcome!snow
    Jetblue is always good for me. I've never paid with them.

Read this whole thread and you'll get the usual advice that applies to flying with any company. There's nothing specific to Jetblue.
    Jetblue seems more lenient on the dimensions than other airlines, but if you show up with a ginormous bike box, prepare to pay the fee. Like Nick^ said, there's good advice in the thread.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2008

also beware the airlines (jetblue included) have lowered the limit from two checked bags to ONE. other then that the thread says just about everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2009 edited

Bike on airplane travel report:

I followed Jacob's advice and checked in on-line, and gave my bag to the Sky Caps (curbside). The interaction at Logan was funny:
    Sky Cap - "Oh, that's oversize"
    Me - "Really? I measured carefully."
    Sky Cap (eying the cash in my hand) - "Well who's going to decide?"
    Me - "You'll decide?"
    Sky Cap - "We will decide"

Thirty dollars later, my bag is checked, and I'm on my way.

The way back from DC was even less complicated as they didn't seem to notice that the bag was oversized.
    (I tipped 'em anyway.)

So, I recommend using Rob's case, the only hazard is that if the flight is crowded, you bag may be delayed. (Which happened to me, but it wasn't a problem.)
    Bike Pack
    [all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorjohn89
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2016

This may sound obvious, but it's not quite as simple as it sounds. Because bikes are so big there are only limited space for them in the cargo hold for them, so you need to make sure the airline has space for them. If you are booking your flight directly you can probably add it onto your booking at the same time and it is no stress. However, if you are using a third party site like Lastminute, Opodo or any of the other cheap flight sites out there, then the chances are you cannot add a bike as you book.
    Pack your bike well
    Your bike is your pride and joy, right? Well the person who will be handling your bike once it is checked it doesn't care - it's just a big, heavy piece of luggage that needs moving and not every luggage handler is going to pay attention to those fragile notices and treat it with the same finesse you do.
    Arrive early at the airport
    Don't you hate it when you have 32 things to do and then someone drops a dirty, great problem onto your desk in the middle of it all? Well that's pretty much how it feels for the check-in staff when you are trying to check your bike in, in the middle of the rush to get several hundred people processed and onto the flight in time.
    You are going to have to pay
    How much it costs to fly with a bike changes from airline to airline. If you have taken the time to call the airline to book your bike onto the flight they should have told you how much it is going to cost.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016

Not necessarily. It should only ever be a matter of fitting within the size/weight requirements. The sketchy part is if they try to charge you a special bike fee for an item that fits in the same requirements as anybody else's maximum baggage size. Then it just feels like discrimination.

As a skier, I feel like I'm treated BETTER than as a bicyclist, since they let me take a ski bag and a boot bag for the price of just one piece of normal baggage, and skis are HUGE and vastly exceed minimum baggage requirements. But the airlines want to *encourage* you to fly more often to ski, so they make a special exception. It's mindboggling why this isn't also the norm with bikes.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus