Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorpapi
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007 edited

go thereI'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007

Article neglects to mention that Gordon was wearing a helmet when he died.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

Also, mods, what happened to the Advocacy category?MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    Below.
    endurancenirvana:I'm still floored that people started an organization named HELL after a friend was killed. Tasteless.

why? they're not saying that he's going to hell. in fact i think it's rather clever that they're giving such a negative word a positive connotation.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrandonc

stickyfoot:Also, mods, what happened to the Advocacy category?

it's back now
    • CommentAuthorNelson

Hell is awesome.
    I just got a shirt in the mail a few days ago.

Good idea, & great people. I don't see how any of you can hate on that.In the big rock candy mountain, the jails are made of tin
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

you know that HELL stands for Helping Everyone Live Longer? i don't think it's tasteless. the whole organization is dedicated to reaching out to young adults, getting their attention, and getting a damn helmet on their heads. i think plastering the word "HELL" all over their flyers/helmets/donation jars gets you to notice it and i agree with what conor said about giving a positive connotation to the word.
    • CommentAuthorNicole

yeah seriously who gives a fuck that they are called HELL at least zach is trying to do something good from such tragic events
    i think those in memorial would like/love the cause AND the name. not speak for anyone but seems pretty chill, id be pumped to know something like that was done for me!!!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    • CommentAuthorNicole

yeah kelly was a friend of mine and i know she would be pretty pumped about the whole thing, especially all of the awesome artwork being put on the HELLmets
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

I think the custom paint and graphics idea is rad. I've often thought it'd be a good side-business. I'd pay to have somebody make my helmet look effin sweet. Nothing, of course, can match my Scumbag Cup time trial prize helmet.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    i want zack to make me a HECKmet!never say die
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

stickyfoot:Article neglects to mention that Gordon was wearing a helmet when he died.

Was he?
    I saw that kid go down huntington some days, usually the only head protection he had was a fitted cap.dongpincher 1000
    Whoa, I have enormous respect for anybody taking initiative and starting an organization. I was glad to see the mention in the paper because I hadn't heard about this since those accidents. Sounds like they're getting a lot of helmets, shirts, etc. out there. I certainly should have mentioned this above and just deleted that post. I still wish it was named something different, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

DannyRocks:Was he?
    I saw that kid go down huntington some days, usually the only head protection he had was a fitted cap.

According to several articles I read, he was. But that accident wasn't survivable whether he had a helmet or not. (Turns out he did have a helmet on.) I think HELL's mission is admirable, but it's misleading and bad journalism to cite an accident that had nothing to do with helmet usage.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

Thinking further, what I think would be more admirable is if there were an organization that, say, raises hell with the city every time a cyclist is injured or killed in Boston. Organizations like HELL are vital, of course, but there's a lot of emphasis on rider responsibility in most of the advocacy work happening in the city, it seems. Less is being done to affect driver responsibility. What about a nonprofit that lobbies for "Share the Road With Cyclist" signs at intersections where accidents have occurred? What about lobbying for clear lane markings, and the removal of obstructions in bike lanes? Multiple articles about HELL cite its effectiveness by referencing that girl who was run off the road by the Scorpions tour bus. Yay for her head not getting smashed in during that accident, but shouldn't there be just a little outrage at the driver of the bus who hit her? Or the driver of the cab that killed Gordon? Not impotent internet outrage, but focused and organized outrage that results in change. Giving helmets out is great, but does nothing to reduce the causes of accidents.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    • CommentAuthorNelson

While that may be true, it's still a big world out there and finding a niche is important in every aspect of becoming successful in your goals.
    It seems to me that lots of small organizations focusing on their own personal goals, is a far better plan than 20 people getting together for lunch break in the park.

Giving out helmets is great, but even if there were no cars certain people would still need to be wearing them.In the big rock candy mountain, the jails are made of tin
    •  
      CommentAuthormur

^ see my post (discussion) two weeks back about biking in Berkeley, CA. they've basically made some streets designated as bike streets, making cars the "second class citizens" on those thoroughfares. in fact, they've done away with bike lanes to emphasize that bikes belong on the streets. bike lanes are extraordinarily dangerous as they really only provide drivers with faulty justification to not provide safe clearance when passing or driving near a cyclist.

in Berkeley they've also modified many of the streets to reduce overall traffic speed (e.g. lots of small rotaries and obstacles).~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

As dorky as that video was, I think it's cool to see a city trying something radical to reduce accidents at the friction points. Of course, I wonder how many cyclists hit those barriers that Berkeley put in to keep cars out. Some looked barely visible. That's another rant, I guess.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    •  
      CommentAuthormur

stickyfoot:As dorky as that video was, I think it's cool to see a city trying something radical to reduce accidents at the friction points. Of course, I wonder how many cyclists hit those barriers that Berkeley put in to keep cars out. Some looked barely visible. That's another rant, I guess.

yeah, there's no doubt cyclists need to slow down to snake through those little barrier path openings. i suspect the biggest problem during peak hours is the narrowness and possible biker/biker head-on collisions. but then again, i'd rather hit a biker than a dump truck. more impressive than the barriers to me, however, were the bike-designated streets. the idea of just painting a giant bicycle on the street to let drivers be more aware could do a lot in itself.

in any case, i'm not sure everything they've done is implemented in the best fashion, but it's an example of an organized movement that the community and local government take part in to increase biker/pedestrian awareness and improve conditions for all. essentially infrastructure change as a means for education. the other way around is rather hopeless.~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

Yeah, I love those huge bike decals on the streets. Hopefully they're not too slippery in the wet! We should have those in Boston, along every right lane of a multi-lane road here.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    • CommentAuthorgc

there's a psa advertisement in cambridge on mass ave at bill boards at bus stops in at least 2 spots, 1 @ intersection of mass/sidney st just west of all asia cafe and another right in front of camb. city hall.

these ads tell drivers not to park in bike lanes, watch out for bikes and watch out for bikers with their doors

i'd take a pic but my camera is borkengone
    • CommentAuthorlegion

dosent most paint/spraypaint eat into the helmet's plastic/foam? destroying its integrity?
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik

doesn't the aluminum in deoderant make you crazy later? who cares, it almost makes me want one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

legion:dosent most paint/spraypaint eat into the helmet's plastic/foam? destroying its integrity?

all of the HELLmets that i've seen are bmx, and so i don't think that would be much of a problem. plus, all helmets have a two year cap before the integrity of the foam is compromised and you wouldn't believe how many people wear old helmets that are pretty useless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

like the old guys wearing their bell helmets from 1978.

also, speaking of bmx, why is it that very few bmxer's ever wear helmets besides at parks where they are required?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

my friend's dad still wears his with a "headlight" literally drilled into the top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

ratattack:
    legion:dosent most paint/spraypaint eat into the helmet's plastic/foam? destroying its integrity?

all of the HELLmets that i've seen are bmx, and so i don't think that would be much of a problem. plus, all helmets have a two year cap before the integrity of the foam is compromised and you wouldn't believe how many people wear old helmets that are pretty useless.

bmx'ers and skaters still suffer from the cool complex, unfortunately. my brothers are the same way. my one brother ben, who mostly skateboards at this point, fractured his skull over the summer when he was hit by a car on his bike, and he still tells me "i don't like helmets." but he is 14...

with bmx helmets i think you can remove the inner part fairly easily if you want to paint the shell though? unsure.
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

i rock a hellmet they are protec skate helmets made for multiple impact. spraypaint won't comp the integrity.

i think zach is awesome for doing all this hence why im going to help him out the best i can with the calendar as a fundraiser and anything else I can think of.

i wore one for less than a week before i got hit and I was glad I had it.Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    stickyfoot:Thinking further, what I think would be more admirable is if there were an organization that, say, raises hell with the city every time a cyclist is injured or killed in Boston. Organizations like HELL are vital, of course, but there's a lot of emphasis on rider responsibility in most of the advocacy work happening in the city, it seems. Less is being done to affect driver responsibility. What about a nonprofit that lobbies for "Share the Road With Cyclist" signs at intersections where accidents have occurred? What about lobbying for clear lane markings, and the removal of obstructions in bike lanes? Multiple articles about HELL cite its effectiveness by referencing that girl who was run off the road by the Scorpions tour bus. Yay for her head not getting smashed in during that accident, but shouldn't there be just a little outrage at the driver of the bus who hit her? Or the driver of the cab that killed Gordon? Not impotent internet outrage, but focused and organized outrage that results in change. Giving helmets out is great, but does nothing to reduce the causes of accidents.

http://www.massbike.org/about/board_application.htm

I think it will be a few more years before I would be useful to any sort of Board of Directors, but MassBike is looking for new board members. Not sure if anybody here has a real big boy job and could help out. When I lived in Brooklyn I was impressed with the response TimesUp and TransAlt(I think) made to every fatality. Definitely room for there to be more publicized outrage to accidents in Boston.
    I think that life in Boston would be greatly improved if there were an emphasis on lawful behavior, particularly driving.[all your base are belong to us]
    gordon was a silly guy. SO SILLY!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2013

HELL still exists and we just got a huge shipment of Bern helmets in various sizes, colors, and models. We're offering them on a sliding scale of $15-$40, but nobody will be denied a helmet if they can't afford one.
    Bern helmets cost at least $50 online and more in stores, this is a good deal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2013

^where is this? Do you have the Watts model in XXL? I have a huge head.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2013

It's a very random assortment of stuff that I will have to catalog. There are plenty xxl helmets, will report back on which models
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2013

Helmets for days. All sizes/colors/models
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013

So pro! Looks nice, but I almost miss the spray painted logo."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2013 edited

That orange one would make a good jack o'lantern helmet...A few spokes shy of a wheel.