Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorraff I el
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007

I'm making a booklet about why+how to build a fixed gear for a design class. It's basically going to be a short intro followed by a straightforward set of diagrams identifying major parts, what to look for, and how to put it all together. Mostly it's just a design exercise, but I think it would be cool if it really were comprehensive and accurate. So two questions: First, what do you wish you'd thought of/known when you were building your first whips? and second: would anyone (with more experience than me, meaning a lot of people here) be interested in taking a look at the finished book and giving suggestions?

I'm going to lay it out in two colors (black and red) formatted for saddle-stapled 8.5"x11" paper--basically, that means it'll be relatively cheap to print, with the view that bike shops could stock them and give/sell them to people who are interested. Like i said, it's just a project, but I'd love to find a way to make it useful.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthortravisW

one thing i would have liked to have have known in the beginning is why people prefer a "Track" bike over a conversion (raised bb, steeper and tighter geometry, quick turns good for city riding, rear facing dropouts).

this has some ok info, some good basic stuff, and lots of good citations.boooyah
    DO NOT USE RED OR GREEN

Red green color blind people will hate you.

Exploded Views are awesome +1 so use one of those.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

estratton:DO NOT USE RED OR GREEN

Red green color blind people will hate you.

Exploded Views are awesome +1 so use one of those.

totally didn't think of that. i could either use a screened-back red, so there'd be an obvious difference in values, or i could switch to blue or something. thanks!

and Travis, thanks. I'm going to have a spread where i go into each of the main parts--frame, wheels, drivetrain etc. with advice on what to look for/avoid, so that's great.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    • CommentAuthorJer

great project, and fun..

don't rule out conversions since they have benefits too:
    often can be high quality for cheap money
    forward facing dropouts make taking wheel off easier
    more clearance for wider tires, fenders
    Usually have rack/fender mounts
    IMHO they make better commuter bikes..

Other info that would have been nice is a guide to what bikes use which standards.. Italian, French, but some of those now use english.., different BB, different handlebar clasp,,, those are the big ones..

This is kinda lame, but you could talk about what is considered "hot".. Like.. risers+drop stem is popular, track drops, and using BMX or cross levers for front brakes, and dog erection tape jobs.. like a "best practices" to make a hipster bike.. heh

Also, brake reach issues on conversions going from 27" to 700C as a heads up..

good luck.. I'd love to read a copy when you are done
    Jer
    • CommentAuthorrichard q

if you need a good place to find color sets .. . Colour Lovers is a great place just to get ideas too.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

thanks for that rich! I seriously needed that.

make a pdf of it for us, huh raff?
    • CommentAuthorrichard q

boundgear:thanks for that rich! I seriously needed that.

make a pdf of it for us, huh raff?

I have tons of stuff like that bookmark, let me know if you need other design resources or web programing stuff.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

richard q:

I have tons of stuff like that bookmark, let me know if you need other design resources or web programing stuff.

cool, thanks. I'm mostly messing with vector stuff--it's easiest to color the way i want, and I've only got 16 pages, so i'm going for a minimalist/ beginner approach (i.e. assuming people have a frame + fork, so not going into how to build that, BB, wheelbuilding, etc) both because I want it to be accessible/not scary and because I haven't done that stuff yet. It's kind of "how to build a beater" in that sense--it assumes some partly-assembled components like you could scavenge from existing bikes. Other (simpler) things, like cogs + chainrings, chain, cranks, pedals, brakes (well, brake), handlebars, and new tubes + tires I'll talk about in more detail, as well as the final assembly of the bike.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

no. where?Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    • CommentAuthorrichard q

raff I el:
    richard q:

cool, thanks. I'm mostly messing with vector stuff--it's easiest to color the way i want, and I've only got 16 pages, so i'm going for a minimalist/ beginner approach (i.e. assuming people have a frame + fork, so not going into how to build that, BB, wheelbuilding, etc) both because I want it to be accessible/not scary and because I haven't done that stuff yet. It's kind of "how to build a beater" in that sense--it assumes some partly-assembled components like you could scavenge from existing bikes. Other (simpler) things, like cogs + chainrings, chain, cranks, pedals, brakes (well, brake), handlebars, and new tubes + tires I'll talk about in more detail, as well as the final assembly of the bike.

where do you go to school? I am guessing the kenmore area, is it aib?
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

nope, emerson. kenmore is just on my way from comm+wash.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    Could always use stuff from that Pedal ID thing - google it.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    I wish someone would scan that thing so i can look at it. I have no desire to buy one though.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007 edited

It is on the puma website. It's not bad. drawings by Chris McNally

Edit: http://www.pumaville.com/downloads/book101.pdf
    boundgear:It is on the puma website. It's not bad. drawings by Chris McNally

Sweet. Thanks for the link. Nice little read.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

boundgear:It is on the puma website. It's not bad. drawings by Chris McNally

thanks. those are pretty drawings, and some things i never would've thought of. (also, i suddenly think my chain is too tight)Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

One other thing: What are your most indispensable tools (both while riding and while working on the bike)?Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007 edited

puma also made a messenger "documentary" dvd

i've got it if anyone wants to borrow/rip it. but you have to return it.

best tools: full set of metric allens, full set of metric box end wrenches... 90% of stuff on a bike can be done with this stuffgone
    +1 to the bottom bracket threading/size differences. I wish I'd known before I started my Raleigh, else I'd have been smarter and bought a Shogun or something. I think chainline in general needs a lot of attention. Maybe do something about making sure your chainring is as centered as possible, selecting the right spacers, etc.

I think learning curve is important: pedal strikes, getting thrown off the bike if you try to coast, finger deth at the work stand, etc.

Most essential tool: 6" adjustable wrench or hex multi-tool, depending on vintage. Duh for patch kit and pump. And lube/cleaning stuff.Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    Tools

15mm Wrench
    Adjustable Wrench
    Hex Multi Tool
    Spare tubes - not just one, but at least 2. - Pump for said tubes. Presta Valve adaptor.

Maybe I come too prepared. Murphy's law always screws me.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007

estratton:Tools

15mm Wrench
    Adjustable Wrench
    Hex Multi Tool5mm Allen Wrench, also a 6mm.
    Spare tubes - not just one, but at least 2. - Pump for said tubes. Presta Valve adaptor.
    dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007 edited

I'd like to point you toward a 'zine that Puma put out a couple of years ago. The author is some NY messenger and he said that track bikes are a fashion accessory that can get you killed!
    -robot[all your base are belong to us]