Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I saw pete hilby and james peter shelby last night. I saw no one on my ride today :(Take-off everything but your rainboots
    Spotted/Rode with Phil on my way to work this morning. Good running into you man. Let's try that w/o the garbage truck in front of us more often.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Just saw Saffs looking downright distinguished in a Stampede! kit. I was beating a moped at full throttle in a light to light sprint.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012

^that was the funniest fucking thing ever!!!
    I look and see a bike out accelerating a moped. I laugh then see its Ted!!!
    The moped was motorpacing you!!
    Fantastic!!!
    bahahahahaha
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Spotted: INCREDIBLE lady-cuteness working at Giant Bicycle World this evening!Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    god if you said superb i would have made a note to slap you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Huh?Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012 edited

a common theme for most "omg hot chick on bike" posts is that they refer to a girl that works there
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

I think the "I once saw a cute girl at a shop" posts are pretty lame. Speak up in person, or keep the creep comments to yourself.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    But what if she went to this forum, and was all "OH GOD I CAN'T LIVE ANOTHER MOMENT IN MY SHATTERED WORLD SINCE BELT-DRIVE BIKE BOY LEFT ME ALL ALONE?"

Seriously, though. I think most girls I know who are "into" bikes would give you the death stare for years if you tried to relate their looks, their work, or their ride.
    Word. What do you want us to do? Creepily post on the internet about how we've noticed her too?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012

Hey, I can't help it if the ladies like low maintenance!

I was just spreading some good karma; it was just a complement, not much more. If she's creeped out - well, I'd genuinely feel bad about that.

I've stopped by there a few times and all of the people I've talked to who work there seem like cool people so far...Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2012 edited

bee:Spotted: INCREDIBLE lady-cuteness working at Giant Bicycle World this evening!

No to continue this but not really an appropriate post for bfixed - and it shouldn't ever be IMO - and the wording is potentially belittling, 'cute' woman in bike shop working on a bike etc.
    As far as I know, most Women I know in that context (working in the industry) are really not going to like your commentary there.....

From your past posts, I know you'll probably see that now as your clearly a thoughtful and aware person :)
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^So, yeah. This is all true of course. But I can think of at least one woman forumite who received no grief at all when she was internet-ogling every bike boy in town a few years ago. We also tend to find it amusing rather than offensive if a CL Missed Connection gets posted about a male cyclist we know. I don't know what that means exactly but it's interesting to me.

Objectification is bad, of course, but I do think it's pretty natural for humans to rubberneck an attractive person. For a person to be truly objectified, I think they would need to reduce that other person to the point where there's no room for personality to enter the equation. In other words, most attraction begins at the physical but objectification also ends there.

For the record, I do think it's possible for male objectification to occur and here's a compelling example.(WARNING: following post may cause permanent and irreversible spiritual incontinence) —chrIs sedition
    • CommentAuthorben

Y'all are overreacting a bit IMO.

To piggyback on nerdo's comments - I don't know how many women work at Giant, but he didn't specifically call anyone out, he didn't make some attempt to get her to message him to "get coffee together sometime," and I think it's a huge stretch to act as if someone saying a stranger is cute is reducing them to nothing but a piece of meat. As nerdo said, "attraction begins at the physical." Bee may not have had a chance to get to know this woman (hell, he may have actively chosen not to try to get to know her because 'cute girls at bike shops' get guys doing that ALL THE FUCKING TIME) but that doesn't immediately mean he just sees her as some fuck object. It was an innocently meant (based on my impression of Bee from his forum activities) though misdirected compliment.

I absolutely agree that power dynamics/creepiness/chauvinism/etc need to be considered, especially in the bike scene, but I think the response to this is a little outsized. I don't think it was a necessarily relevant or appropriate thing for Bee to post, but I also don't think it's as harmful as others seem to feel.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I objectify that cute D'artagnan looking motherfucker at Ace every chance i get, i don't think he appreciates it however...Take-off everything but your rainboots
    ^ Stop looking in the mirror all the time at work?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRachel

Yikes, what a sausage fest.

Anyway, I don't think his comments were overly creepy or objectifying - however, given that bike stores / bike culture / etc is overrun by dudes, he should realize that that kind of comment is more annoying and tiring than anything else. IMO, at least.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

not overly creepy or objectifying, just not necessary. i think it's annoying when this thread is used to point out either cute girls or dreamy boys. normally people don't get flak for doing either. i'm glad that people said something and that they did so in a constructive manner - point is, that's not the intent of the thread so don't use it for objectification. & what rachel said - it's a pervasive enough issue with the bike community as it is, no need for any more of it.

bee:I was just spreading some good karma; it was just a complement, not much more.

also, no. a compliment would be, "INCREDIBLE customer service from a woman at Giant Bicycle World this evening!"
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I think the oversensitivity of the bfixed culture is somewhat warranted, given the intro thread disasters of a few years ago. At least a lady can now join up and introduce herself without getting deluged by embarrassing come ons. I consider it a net gain, even if sometimes the self-moderation gets a little too enthusiastic.(WARNING: following post may cause permanent and irreversible spiritual incontinence) —chrIs sedition
    • CommentAuthorben

fair enough, as long as it's done reasonably.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Rerailing the thread, I saw EVERYONE at the BSA space last night again! It was pretty awesome.

And then I went to south street diner with Armando and Roz and it was great times.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Sweaty eggs!(WARNING: following post may cause permanent and irreversible spiritual incontinence) —chrIs sedition
    SUPER AWESOME time last night @ the BSA event. I believe it will be up for a while so for those who didn't go, MAKE TIME AND GO!

Great seeing everyone. MORE BIKE EVENTS! MORE BIKE HANGTIMES!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    nerdo:^Sweaty eggs!

More like burger I could barely finish. nomnomnom.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Rachel:Yikes, what a sausage fest.
    HA! awesome.
    im going to move to branson, MO where the ladies are waay more amorous
    •  
      CommentAuthorkillersim

every thread ive looked at this week has slapped me in the face for some form of "is it PC" arguments. cant we just get along, kids?'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    we're in a growing pains stage alex, people are attempting to respect each other.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

I think people are arguing so we can actually all get along."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    killersim:every thread ive looked at this week has slapped me in the face for some form of "is it PC" arguments. cant we just get along, kids?

I want to lick you.
    Saffs:^that was the funniest fucking thing ever!!!
    I look and see a bike out accelerating a moped. I laugh then see its Ted!!!
    The moped was motorpacing you!!
    Fantastic!!!

Don't be foold; Ted, like a bear, is both fast and dangerous over short distances. He also loves honey and raw salmon.

FC with Epic (as above) was delightful. Also Zomar/Chris (I think) last night at Comm Ave and Harvard, and I had a nice ride in with Dave Wilcox this morning, who may not be on here but is a stand-up human being.

And, maybe there should just be a "Hey Grl / Sup Boi" thread with an objectification advisory haha.I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    stingobango:
    Saffs:
    And, maybe there should just be a "Hey Grl / Sup Boi" thread with an objectification advisory haha.

A "Fixed Erections" thread?Happened about a month ago. Didn't talk about it because it's embarrassing. Long story short: Somehow pissed off a guy in a mercedes, who proceeded to chase me down Surface road like 3 feet off my bac
    stingobango:Don't be foold; Ted, like a bear, is both fast and dangerous over short distances. He also loves honey and raw salmon stealing pic-a-nic baskets, yabadabadoooooo!

I saw Lauren this morning- rather, she saw me first while I was busy thinking, "I think that is someone I know..." I guess I need to get prescription sunglasses.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012 edited

Just saw Chris on his histogram in Davis!Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2012

Also, I forget who has the black flag tattoo on his calf, but on the way to the red bones party, I tried to be all cool and ride up next to you and be like hey! nice geekhouse! (while I was also riding a geekhouse). but you had in-ear headphones on and weren't even going to the party. I tried shouting some more to say hey, but zero fucks were given.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    Seems a little harsh knocking him for not being able to trackstand on a freewheel.

edit: Unless he just doesn't have his feet on the pedals while skitching, I can't tell for sure.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley

Meh, the link text are mostly Thom's words and not mine. I am more just WTFing at the skitching.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    worddddDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Craigglesofdoom:Just saw Chris on his histogram in Davis!

Went for a walk/hike around the Fells for a bit. Was on the way home. You should have heckled.Happened about a month ago. Didn't talk about it because it's embarrassing. Long story short: Somehow pissed off a guy in a mercedes, who proceeded to chase me down Surface road like 3 feet off my bac
    •  
      CommentAuthorkillersim

Baron Fagrot:
    killersim:every thread ive looked at this week has slapped me in the face for some form of "is it PC" arguments. cant we just get along, kids?

I want to lick you.

Come 'er Sugar Cakes'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    I have the biggest e-boner for you.
    • CommentAuthorben

surprisefries:Is lame knocking him for not being able to trackstand on a freewheel.
    I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

katdaley: Messenger Wannabe can't track stand, skitches on truck over Mass Ave bridge in left lane. WTF.

Natural selection is coming for this man."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    chr|s sedition:

Went for a walk/hike around the Fells for a bit. Was on the way home. You should have heckled.

saw ya too late. Got a long lens shot of ya.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    surprisefries:Seems a little harsh knocking him for not being able to trackstand on a freewheel.

edit: Unless he just doesn't have his feet on the pedals while skitching, I can't tell for sure.

dont make excuses for the lame0, roadstands are EZEEEEEEEE
    Craigglesofdoom:
    chr|s sedition:

Went for a walk/hike around the Fells for a bit. Was on the way home. You should have heckled.

saw ya too late. Got a long lens shot of ya.

Dreamy.Happened about a month ago. Didn't talk about it because it's embarrassing. Long story short: Somehow pissed off a guy in a mercedes, who proceeded to chase me down Surface road like 3 feet off my bac