Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

killersim:...It only took me like 6 years to become everything I hated when i was in college. No one ever sees me because no one can even recognize me anymore, haha.

HAHAHAAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Saw Andy this morning on her superfly new whip, as I was peeling out of work to go on paternity leave. Happy birthday Andy!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2014

Thanks, it was good to see you! Happy belated birthday of your offspring!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

I HEARD THAT HER HEADSET IS INDEXED. BETTER THROW IT OUT.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

BUT THAT PAINT THO.

Btw, what does headset indexing mean? I'm getting it replaced, but I don't understand what it is."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

when the bearings cause a permanent scarring to the races or cups of the headset. causing notchy-ness.MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Ohh, I just called headsets like that "fucked", but I guess that makes sense."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:Ohh, I just called headsets like that "fucked", but I guess that makes sense.

This is what I usually telll people when they bring in a bike like this.

"Your headset is indexed."
    "What's that mean?"
    "It means that it's trashed and you should replace it."Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Regarding "indexed" headsets, the correct term is "brinelled." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014

Met davidvanchu today. Good dude. He wants to get into touring. I said he came to the right forum.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

David9999999:Regarding "indexed" headsets, the correct term is "brinelled." See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brinelling

mmmm...

The dents in the races resemble the dents created by the Brinell hardness test procedure, and as a result, this type of damage is sometimes called "Brinelling." This is a bit of a misnomer, because the Brinell hardness test involves basically hammering a bearing ball into a metal sample with one good hard whack. Some folks assume that the dents in headset races also result from impact, but actually that is not commonly the case. Instead, it has to do with lubricant breakdown. Jobst Brandt has an article on this site describing the process in detail.

Brown, Sheldon Brown.
    What Joe means is:
    "Met davidvanchu today. He's pretty cool... I guess."

Nice meeting you today, Joe!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

It's possible that I was actually just trying to talk him into touring and projecting like crazy.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2014

Let's all go on a tour together."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Thought I posted this earlier, but Andy, that was me waving from the car after I passed you on Brookline around 10:45am maybe?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2014

Ooh, I was wondering about that. Hi!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Is either of these any of you?

•  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2015

Did I see a bike outside highland kitchen with a wiffleball batt for handlebars?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    ^ God, I hope so.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    davidvanchu:Is either of these any of you?

I think that All-City with Belgiums is a Superb build.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Saw a bike with a BFG spoke card outside Rifrullo Cafe in Brookline yesterday while driving my truck. Mainly mention it cause I wanna hear how that place is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2015

I'm pretty sure I saw joeyfresh in Brookline, but it's hard to tell under all these layers. I was trying not to fall over with my comically large load."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2015

Your load was so comically large that I thought "oh! I hope I know that person!" and then it was you and I was happy.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    "Comically large."

How many of you have seen the dishwasher photo? I can't remember who I've shown it to.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    dishwasher photo?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Remind me next time I see you. Not posting it online. It can not be unseen. Fair warning.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2015

Whose small green Igleheart do I keep seeing everywhere? Brooklyn Boulders, the Whole Foods near my house on Beacon St in Somerville, etc?

Nice bike.unstuck in time
    Is it really tiny? Probs Natalia. http://www.tinyrussianstudio.com/YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    A neon green Superb Sprint parked next to me on Bent St in Cambridge today. Lotsa spoke cards but none I recognized.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    ^I would guess that it's Valerie's.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    TODAY AT THE RACK: I met a guy named Ken with a super-lit-up bike who was like "Yeah, it's for the bike party, the bike party is soooooo fun"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:A neon green Superb Sprint parked next to me on Bent St in Cambridge today. Lotsa spoke cards but none I recognized.

Craigglesofdoom:^I would guess that it's Valerie's.

Yup. That was me. We also had a conversation about your fenders.

tinyhonkshus:TODAY AT THE RACK: I met a guy named Ken with a super-lit-up bike who was like "Yeah, it's for the bike party, the bike party is soooooo fun"

Ken is my boss. When I hit my head and couldn't return to work he was all "come back whenever" and I was all "ok." He often asks if I'm going to Boston Bike Party (the answer is usually no). Today he rolled in on his mountain bike so that's how I definitely knew weather was going to get nuts (he usually rides his Bianchi volpe to work) before I got the email telling me to work from home tomorrow.

... really hoping he's not also on bfixed because the time stamp on this makes this kind of awkward.
    He seemed like a cool dude and then I met him again and got no sense he remembered our initial meeting and five-minute conversation, which happens to be a touchy subject for me.

I didn't ride today because I've had so many close calls this week WALKING that I couldn't face any more snow drivers.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2015

drivers were so amazingly bad today. Like, LOL SNOW EMERGENCY, IMMA SPEED AND NOT EVEN BOTHER TO STOP AT SIGNS/LIGHTS, OR BOTHER TO LOOK IN THE DIRECTION OF TRAFFIC BEFORE DOING SOMETHING DUMB WITH MY CAR, AND GO OUT OF MY WAY TO BUZZ PEOPLE ON BIKES BECAUSE MY LIFE SUCKS AND I'M GOING TO TAKE IT OUT ON EVERYONE ELSE.

and it was fahkin rush hour all afternoon. But I was glad there were still more than a few riders out there."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    If you met Ken while he was still jet-lagged from being at a conference over the weekend, it might be possible that the memory of his having met you might not have made it through his short-term memory.

Ugh yeah. Mass ave was a shit show and I was going to Dorchester so I had to go through that crazy intersection that ends up on 93. Granted, a lot of the time, cars were crawling and you'd think I'd be able to weave my way through, but everyone seemed to forget where the lanes were and bunched up together like "Fuck you bike, if I'm stuck here, you're stuck here too."

Hope everyone got to their destinations yesterday without incident (and that everyone's inside with a well-stocked supply of hot beverages and booze).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2015

i waved to nandy today hiiiiiiii (but i was wearing a 'clava).
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2015

Ah, First st by the mall? HIII!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2015

On Friday I dropped a package with a younger guy shoveling a driveway on Pleasant st who seemed interested in Wabi and bieks in general. Doubt it's anyone on here, but if so, hi!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:On Friday I dropped a package with a younger guy shoveling a driveway on Pleasant st who seemed interested in Wabi and bieks in general. Doubt it's anyone on here, but if so, hi!

Is your bikes name Wabi or is it actually a Wabi bicycle? or both...
    http://www.wabicycles.com/index.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015

Both, I think naming bikes is kind of weird, so I just drop the article and voila- automatic noncreative name. Only slightly weird.

Highly recommend btw. I just got the frameset, not a complete."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    You got the geared bike? It does not seem like the single speed frame is offered as a frame set. Although it seems like they will basically do whatever you want. I was so close to getting a wabi. Went with an aluminum frame instead and regret it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015 edited

No, single speed. It looks like you can get framesets in every model, it's just to the right of the full builds on the product pages if you scroll down a bit. They're pretty inexpensive, you should probably start a collection, but I'm a bad influence.

ETA: inexpensive until you put $1000 worth of custom wheels and fancy bits on because you're young and have no responsibilities outside of rent (me)(pro tip: quit college before you get debt). You can justify it to yourself by selling two other bikes."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:(pro tip: quit college before you get debt).

Too late :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

oh. Well if you can keep living in a place where you don't need a car you can help justify it by thinking about the $500+ per month you're not paying in car-associated costs and fuel your bike habit with the remainder of your tiny disposable income, assuming you're not getting one of those worthwhile degrees. If it is worthwhile, you'll have fancier bikes than all of us in a few years."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    depending on whether your definition of worthwhile lines up with society'si mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I would say, as a reluctant car owner, the expenses are closer to $150 a month, though I don't drive all that much.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Im quite happy that "pretty inexpensive" turns out to be $750. Putting it out of my range of a impulse purchase. Not thats its a bad deal. But getting that new bike idea in my head is the last thing i need right now. Supper curious about that frame though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015 edited

Well, $375 and use old parts. I wouldn't call that ridiculous for a new bike.

^^ I was thinking more like people who have a car payment because they overspend and high insurance. Plus a tank every week and a half and repairs and tickets and parking. Cars are damn expensive, some more than others."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Touché I was looking at the lightning SE
    Also as a non reluctant car owner. With a monthly insurance/ gas expense of around $300 (if i drove and did not ride) plus repair costs that take the place of a car payment because i refuse to own a car less then 20 years old. I justify spoiling myself with bike shit the same way.