Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

When I think about dept, like many people, it's like trying to conceptualize something huge, so huge you just have to laugh or else you'd cry.

When they bring back debtors prisons, I'll be in some shit.
    $47k in student loans and about $20k of medical debt would probably get me 2 1/2 years.

How much do you owe?

-robot[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008 edited

i don't like to say number (or think about them).. but I'd get about 2 yrs by your standards.. and actually if I could go to a white collar prison for 2 years I'd probably do that over spending the next 40 years paying it back..
    • CommentAuthorcindierock
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2008

11k student loans and more coming in June.. + I owe my sister 3k + my mom has about 10k in debt on a credit card in my name because i hate her
    • CommentAuthorgc

indebtednessgone
    waitaminnit robot, weren't we just having this conversation somewhere else?flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    by robot's standards...4-5 years
    oh, this is so comforting. probably 2 years by the time i'm through.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    Corrected

8mo-1yrclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    None at all!

Gooooo Bridgewater State!Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    dan bones!:waitaminnit robot, weren't we just having this conversation somewhere else?

Yes, I am a copy cat![all your base are belong to us]
    Morgie:i don't like to say number (or think about them).. but I'd get about 2 yrs by your standards.. and actually if I could go to a white collar prison for 2 years I'd probably do that over spending the next 40 years paying it back..

That would be an interesting government program.

Government buys out your debt, then makes you do indentured servitude on public projects for $15k/year from your debt, food stamps, and a housing voucher.

Could just work. . .Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    By my arbitrary system: 1 year = $26,800

But, there is no reason to rush when it comes to paying off Federally backed loans.
    Prioritize by interest rate, at least that's what they tell me.

-bot[all your base are belong to us]
    You need to diversify your bonds, nigga.[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorgc

robsolete:That would be an interesting government program.

Government buys out your debt, then makes you do indentured servitude on public projects for $15k/year from your debt, food stamps, and a housing voucher.

Could just work. . .

its called americorps.... $5k for 1900hrs of service, plus living stipend (minwage).gone
    ^Yeah, but I'm thinking something for older people with mortgages that includes back-breaking manual labor.Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    robotbuilder:You need to diversify your bonds, nigga.

great reference man!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

le lion:
    its called americorps.... $5k for 1900hrs of service, plus living stipend (minwage).

5k off your debt for a year of work?
    No wonder nobody wants to go into americorps.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

le lion:
    its called americorps.... $5k for 1900hrs of service, plus living stipend (minwage).

problem is it doesn't do/pay nearly enough.. same with "teach for america", as a future teacher I would be interested in (well i still am regardless but w/e) Teach For America except the fact that these type of programs are more-so designed to help pay back government loans, and for myself and others the main source of loans has been Nellie Mae etc..

For me realistically I could probably get the most monies joining the military and going for a G.I. monies, given my JROTC years I would enter the military in a better standing than most folks they are settling for these days. Trouble is I have lost interest in serving in the US Military, and it would mean I would have to denounce my Canadian citizenship.
    @morgan: i've been told a big issue with teach for america is that it's something you become locked into, and that if you're put in a position you don't like or realize the benefits aren't what you thought they were, you're essentially blacklisted from most teaching positions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

as a teacher leaving any school anywhere without being released from your contract on good terms (by this basically I mean leaving mid year) pretty much fucks you from going anywhere else.. in some states it's law.

but yeah it's true for Teach For America, i know a number of people who have done it, some who loved it, some who didn't..
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

^^ Do you have to denounce it? I know plenty of peolpe who got us citizenship through it, but I never thought to ask if they had to denounce wherever-they-came-from for it.
    Oh, and dropping out of school early and finishing my electives at a community college to avoid any more of this particular trap (debt)
    edit:
    although I do have some unpaid medical bills, so probably about 8-10 monthsdongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorHamburger
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008

Morgie:
    ...as a future teacher I would be interested in...

have you looked into the Boston Teacher Residency? M.Ed. from UMass Boston, 11K stipend, and a 5K grant upon graduation. Not to mention a nearly-guaranteed* job in Boston Public Schools.

* = near-guarantee not a guaranteePeople make decisions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHamburger

i think a debtor's prison should have a special lockdown for non-student loans. just like real prison you'd have to get prison tattoos to indicate affiliations and survive: the VISA supremacy movement, BoA Nation, MasterCard-13 (MC-13),
    MBNAryian Brotherhood, etc...

and solitary confinement for late payments.

me? 20% apr on 8K of credit card debt. much, much dumber than student loans.

/pity partyPeople make decisions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKitty

debt free !bake em' away, toys
    ^Yeah, that is worse. I actually paid off my absurdly high interest rate credit card with student loans! If you're going to be owned by the man, try to be owned at the lowest interest rate possible.
    -robot

PS,
    I'm not actually advocating for debtors prison. That would be bad, real bad.[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008 edited

Hamburger:
    me? 20% apr on 8K of credit card debt. much, much dumber than student loans.

damn dude- that shit is poison.
    Credit cards *are* debtors prison.

Live on ramen and pay that down, and try to push it over to something with a lower interest rate.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    oh no! not hamburger!!

we need you back in ze black!flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHamburger

^ to the last three:

i've taken great pains to pay down 5K since december of 2007. then, with just 8K left, i quit my job. oops. but that debt is trips to europe, japan, cayman islands, a motorcycle, and two (failed) small businesses.

ramen is ok, but now i'm on the red beans, rice, and bacon diet.

dan bones!: most people don't like their hamburgers black. grey, with a pink center is better. and i only met you once, and we shared a (berry flavored?) sam adams - so thanks for caring, i think.

where in brighton is that place you can sell blood?People make decisions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2008 edited

^lots of MRI, sleep studies and dietary studies to be had. the thing about the MRI ones is that depending on where you go, they can't use you multiple times.

i know at least 2 people who paid for college that way.

also...

•  
      CommentAuthorHamburger

^not tall enough to be a sperm donor

mri's huh? hmm...People make decisions.
    karyatid:^lots of MRI, sleep studies and dietary studies to be had. the thing about the MRI ones is that depending on where you go, they can't use you multiple times.

i know at least 2 people who paid for college that way.

also...

there was a sleep study paying up to about $3000, never got around to calling 'em, though. damn.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    good. sleep studies will fuck you up proper.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    When I'd just graduated college I signed up for the evaluation process for one of those crazy-ass 42 day sleep studies. I didn't have a job yet, and figured it'd be $8000 and a good story.

I actually would have qualified, but I ended up backing out when they told me I'd have to wear a rectal thermometer.

The whole time.Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    ah!You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    I was going to do a sleep study, but then I told them how little I typically sleep... that alone ruled me out as they needed to match my sleeping habits to one of their patients/clients/victims, which wasn't going to happen.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthoraltwave

i almost signed up for a sleep study once too

backed out when they told me i'd have to stay awake for 48+ hours, lying in bed, with someone playing "games" with me to keep me awake. no computers or tv either because theyd need to control the exact amount of light!
    ^I think this was the one I did!

The weirdest thing is that they wouldn't let me meditate. I asked. I figured it'd be like doing a monastic stay.

But meditation, NOT ALLOWED.

wtf?Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008

^umm, the Force fucks with test results, duh.Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.