Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Do those hep cats still sell all those anodized goodies?
    I'm looking for some nifty risers for my pedalcycle.Kitties are so nice.
    Yup. They gots da bling.
    Thanks Nick!Kitties are so nice.
    they're carrying anodized risers now?Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    They definitely have anodized straight bars, but I'm not sure on risers.
    I'm gunna be fly as a fucking kite.
    :PKitties are so nice.
    didn't even know they had anodized straight bars. I'm behind the times.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2008

i always tend to just walk by the "bling" display case

i did see a lot of color being emitted from it today in the corner of my wyw though
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso

I was there today with my buddy who's lookin to buy a fixed gear. They have ALOT of bling. every part in every color. Maybe someday I'll have a color coordinated bike, probably not, but maybe. I do like the look of a flat black frame with gold components though.There's always money in The Banana Stand
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

did someone say bling?
    what would you do for a klondike bar? how much would you pay to have fancy colors on your bike while not improving its functionality?
    • CommentAuthorgone

^Gary, our lived realities are mediated by Representation and Image, and images upon representation and representations upon images.

Functionality?

What could that even mean within an Infinite Abyss wherein Nothing Matters/Everything Matters?
    Gary,
    Please shut the fuck up.
    Your pal,
    JesseHUUUUUUUUUUUT!!!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

kilgore_trout:what would you do for a klondike bar? how much would you pay to have fancy colors on your bike while not improving its functionality?

+1!!!
    kilgore_trout:what would you do for a klondike bar? how much would you pay to have fancy colors on your bike while not improving its functionality?

Ah yes, but does not function also have beauty?

Can't one do both?But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

^cheap red cranks don't add function, they're just red

for young white men, flashy track bikes are what chanel bags are to young white women. it's becoming fashionable, and who knows how long it'll still be cool.
    ^So you're saying you don't want this bike? ;-)

clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

blah blah blah it's part fashion, I understand some of the frustration... but everyone likes a little bling, don't hate.. a thompson CF seatpost probably isn't gonna give you a measurable performance boost over a bontager CF seatpost, but most of you don't hate on people with Thompson seat posts?? and TruVativ Omnium Track Cranks perform as well as other high end cranks but most people go for dura ace, miche, sugino, campy, etc cus TruVativ doesn't look or sound as sweet.. Gary I know people go overboard, but you know you could saved a buck and maintained a nearly identical performance level on a part or two hand you gone with the less well known or good looking brand..
    ^^what bike?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

thomson does not manufacture carbon fiber, only aluminum. for the weight of their products the price is much more desirable then just about any carbon fiber bit as well. thomson actually has proven itself it it's ability to develop some of the strongest components available.
    i understand people want good looking bikes, but paying extra for a wasteful anodization process (not including chris king) seems stupid in my book. call me old fashioned, but i think all components should just be silver again (except ceramic coated rims).
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

in general I dislike flashy anodized stuff, but I have payed an extra $20 for a black wheelset.. and I'd do it again
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008 edited

I've been wanting to take my Dura-Ace group & scuff it up & get it anodized matt black. A super trick race bike with no logos, all evidence of bling removed. But, that would be purely referential, and a response to fashion statements, making it a fashion statement in it's self. (Of course I did have a near meltdown when I disovered that my new crankset had been scratched the hell up by some careless person!)

It's like the circle of life. . . not really.

But, most of you toys don't even fucking appreciate true quality and workmanship, and go around sporting cheaply manufactured asian goods that you paid way to much for. Frankly, when I see that, it makes me think less of you, but I don't mind it when I score rare fucking Campaganolo rims on the cheap, otherwise forsaken for Deep V's. So, continue with your consumer habits, and I will continue to rawk the finest in craftsmanship at a discount.

Some of you are evolving though, choosing to purchase local, hand built frames for example. Just keep riding your bike, and I'll keep my judgments to my self. . . mostly.

Best regards,
    Joshua.Robot

[edit]
    As a side note, almost all aluminum products are anodized, which improves surface quality, prevents oxidization and makes the finish robust.
    [/edit][all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2008

^yeah man. when i'm ridin' my custom ti IF road bike with full campy i think so much less of all of you.

what a buncha crap dude. ride whatcha got and have fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

^sorry duder but as shitty as it sounds I'd rather have my Taiwanese frame than add another year to my prison sentence in order to support a local bike shop.. When you are buying/living on debt buying high end cus it is more moral isn't a option IMO..
    •  

^^Allow me to retort: it is not about money, it is about taste. Going back to the example of rims, I got 3 of those Campy rims for the price of 1 Deep V. What I respect the the appreciation of craftsmanship, and I'll swoon over an old Suntour group before the modern equivalent. Have you seen the prices as of late? Consumer lust, which is rampant in this industry, demands constant, expensive, and marginal innovations. All I'm saying is that I thin less of those who play the part, consume the latest bling, and don't ride what they've got. Like I said, this ain't about the money.
    -robot

[edit]
    Morgie,
    I very much respect the desire to avoid financial servitude, but suggest that they high end (used) can be found for less than the new bling, if you're thrifty. Whatever, I'm a rampant consumer as well, but I at least stop to recognize the value of a discarded bike. Sunday Morning is a perfect example of that, and out of respect for her, I restored her as best I could.
    [/edit][all your base are belong to us]
    brunop:...ride whatcha got and have fun.

+1.

robotbuilder:^^Allow me to retort: it is not about money, it is about taste.
    -robot

“All of life is a dispute over taste and tasting.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
    Reminds me of opinions and assholes - everyones got one.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

i gots taste. loads o' taste. jus' check out my whips!!! and i think so much less of you cuz of it!!!

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

love, brunop!

ps--check it yo, in my livin' room:
    brooks couch

that's fuckin' taste!
    brunop:. . .what a buncha crap dude. ride whatcha got and have fun.

If you disagree, which is awesome because I rely on others to call me out, then at least show me the respect of articulating yourself.
    -robot[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

yo where the fuck is the pic of that shit in your living room!?! :-)

joshua, I feel what your say'n. kinda..
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

robotbuilder:
    brunop:. . .what a buncha crap dude. ride whatcha got and have fun.

If you disagree, which is awesome because I rely on others to call me out, then at least show me the respect of articulating yourself.
    -robot

well dude, lookin' down on other folks for what they have or don't have. we're all heroes cuz we choose to bike instead of drive every fuckin' where. it's like when that other dude on here gets all up about "posengers" and shit and "real messengers" runnin' other people outta the other side cafe an' shit.

where's the love dude? we all love bikes. that should be enough.

happy everything to everybody!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorHamburger

totally lust-worthy components that might be more appropriate for brunop and robotbuilder. this guy is one of my first stops when looking for parts. or the international bikes dumpster.

i'm relieved that people are even aware of domestic, or pre-owned, alternatives.

as much as i love cb i can't help but regard it as the erotic cake shop of bikes.People make decisions.
    •  

^^Ok, I agree that my judgmental nature reeks of elitism, and perhaps detracts from what should be a positive, supportive community. For that, I apologize, particularly for calling anyone a "toy". Though I stand by my opinions.

With that said, I share the love, plenty. This is evidenced by all of the people who I've gotten on bike, and by those whose development as cyclists I've fostered. That doesn't give me the right to be smug, but I actually do quite allot to promote cycling.

-robot[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

^cool man. i ain't hatin' on ya!! yer a bikin' maniac!

we're all heroes!!!!!! for real!!!!

love, brunop!!
    I wanted this thread to be about something different.

Perhaps the fact that they sponsor a dope race team?
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

a. I want the channel bike. Quite the gentleman's ride-about.
    b. Asian manufacturing makes what the customer wants. To the standards of the customer. If the customer is willing to pay for it. I swoon over the Atlantis frame, which is made in Japan. Is that a bad thing? My surly, which has like 60K miles and was worth every penny, does not make me swoon. It is not the country of origin that changes my swoon factor.
    c. I like bikes
    d. Good for CB for sponsoring local riders. And god bless them for carrying shit I won't buy like pink cranks.
    When you see me with my ridiculous anodized risers, please offer to buy me a beer.
    I'm sure the conversation would be more interesting than this drivel you goons have contrived.

I think I'll get purple, to match my gold deep v's.Kitties are so nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

Admiral Lord Nelson:
    I think I'll get purple, to match my gold deep v's.

hahahaha!!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

^sometimes i am a drunk asshole and derail threads based on my taste. i was actually looking for some red ano risers until i traded the frame i'd us them on for a ck hub

calvin klein bitches!
    To the people who think functionality should 100% triumph fashion, I would assume that you wear only white Hanes T-shirts with no writing?

I don't have the money to bling out my bike, but if I did, I probably would. It's not about impressing other people as much has owning something that I think is cool.
    • CommentAuthorgone

^That's not so functional when it is cold and/or raining.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

^^i think function is #1. when it comes to fashion i do my best to be as conscience of a consumer as possible, which normally ends up with me not buying any new clothes for years. for "bike fashion" which i will admit to being guilty of, i too am as much of a conscience consumer as possible... can i get it used, is it american made, or how cheaply can i get it new? also dumpster diving (just make sure it's not been structurally comprimised) there are some things you just can't get around though.
    • CommentAuthormeatball

my one is red
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

if'n i didn't have a house full o' bikes now (and had the dough), i'd get that sweetass delancey that was hangin' up there at cambridge and have 'em put on a ton o' purple bling. i would!
    White tees are actually very fashionable.
    Just look at famous celebrities such as, Lil' Wayne, Micheal Jordan, and Kevin Bacon.Kitties are so nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKitty

haynes or fruit of the loom?bake em' away, toys
    onedimensional:To the people who think functionality should 100% triumph fashion, I would assume that you wear only white Hanes T-shirts with no writing?

i realized a while back that if i go out on the prowl, i'm gonna get my D S''d just as good in a white t as i would if i were wearing a Supreme shirt.

as long as you've got the function on lock, you can let the fashion do whatever the fuck you want it to.

meatball:my one is red

meatball wins this round.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

^yo dan, do you wanna make white tshirts that say "S my D"
    maybe in a 9 years we will be "designing" jeans and sweatshirts too!
    that shit'll be hype!
    all we need is some hanes, and some iron on letters. we could charge like $25 a pop easy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

robotbuilder:
    [edit]
    Morgie,
    I very much respect the desire to avoid financial servitude, but suggest that they high end (used) can be found for less than the new bling, if you're thrifty. Whatever, I'm a rampant consumer as well, but I at least stop to recognize the value of a discarded bike. Sunday Morning is a perfect example of that, and out of respect for her, I restored her as best I could.
    [/edit]

I think we are on not so very different plains here.. I agree with the value of used, very much. I love sunday morning, I think you noticed how badly I wanted to make it mine! and my everyday whip is entirely used/free parts except for the cheap imported wheel set (I think mavic and formula are asian made??). But I also think that bling can sometimes be nice and if ya can I don't always mind if ya do (I think bruno has some awesome bling, that I would have if i could).

all I know it I just had a really awesome ride to class on my Asian parts!!! http://planetsmilies.net/happy-smiley-638.gif
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

onedimensional:To the people who think functionality should 100% triumph fashion, I would assume that you wear only white Hanes T-shirts with no writing?

Yes, but black t-shirts with no writing. White ones show stains = less functional.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

robotbuilder:^^Allow me to retort: it is not about money, it is about taste.

You're not anti-fashion, you just want people to pursue a different asthetic. It's like thrift store / record collecting chic- the flaunted cost comes from the invested time, rather than the invested $.Troglodytarum is latin for troll