Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Currently running drop bars on my bike, but thinking of putting riser bars on it.

Anyone go from drops to risers and not like it or really like..

thanks..
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2007

used to ride drops, now i have risers, and i like it that way.
    • CommentAuthorslowski

seriously people!?If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    if you're biking for anything over 25 miles, you're gonna wanna want more hand positions. i'm switching from upside down risers (sometimes i like to ride in on the drops) to drops soon, i think.

also: moustache bars are dumb.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Moustache bars are dumb. It's true.

Risers are for pimps when riding in the city, but if you're going to take a longer ride (you know, like out into the burbs), bullhorns are also pretty awesome.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007

Just switched for the winter. They are fun to ride as long as they fit with your stem/saddle/etc. It certainly changes your stance. I think it slows me down a little cuz I sit up more and psychologically feel like I'm on The Hammer and about to take it off some sweet jumps.
    •  
      CommentAuthortylersage

its all about looking classy, stick with drops if you dont want to look funny.
    t sage! hows it going manthere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthortylersage

hahah its going great. where are you hiding these days?
    I can see if you're doing less than 10 miles at a time, risers could be fun. Also, grips are a lot easier to deal with than bar tape, so that's a plus. Also you can cut 'em narrower for maximum traffic-weaving.

My old junky hybrid has risers: I rode that thing for 8 years before I got into bikes with drops and I can't see myself ever going back. You get better leverage and more use of your lower back muscle in the drops, and it helps to be able to tuck into a headwind when you can't shift down. Ergonomically it makes more sense, too, since on the brake hoods and in the drops your wrist is in a more neutral position, but risers/flats have the wrists twisted 90 degrees. And you still have a flat bar position on the top of the bar, even if it's not as wide as risers.

Then again I ride all '70s road bikes that would look weird with anything but drops, but risers look rad on newer bikes. So yeah, diff'rent strokes. Borrow a cheap pair and try 'em for a week, I guess.Think you're escaping and run into yourself. Longest way round is the shortest way home.
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

i went from drops to bullhorns and then back to drops again. i got the soma major taylors and LOVE EMThink of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

I went from risers to drops and never looked back.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    i have risers and i am cool!there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    • CommentAuthorgeekhouse

I agree rich is cool. I'm not cool and I ride risers as well...
    marty is VERY coolthere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    i mean you would have to be cool to save those puppies from that burning building after you pulled that old woman from that car wreckthere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

i went from drops to chopped bullhorns. i've done some distance with them; most of the time my hands are right near the stem, which is pretty comfortable for me. i guess i'm cool.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    sometimes i just ride with a stem no bars at all, so aerothere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    • CommentAuthorgeekhouse

well, risers do help you save babies from burning buildings. rich did you 'develop' that pic yet?
    im still working on it, the newspapers all want it so i have to keep it under wraps for a few daysthere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

You two flirt this much at home too?MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    maybe...
    why dont you drop by and find out hottiethere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    we can see what pops up?there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

My drops just turned into a riser!MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    that was awesomethere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    Thoughts on where to get CHEAP silver risers that have the same clamp size as Nitto track drops.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    i guess rob has some "risers" i am sure "they" will not fit a standard clamp size... hubba hubbathere ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

estratton:Thoughts on where to get CHEAP silver risers that have the same clamp size as Nitto track drops.

Any bike shop?
    Track drops=25.4 clamp=Standard MTB bars. Boston bikes is right by BU, you could hop over between classes.. I don't know if landry's stocks any mtb bars..dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorgeekhouse

stickyfoot:You two flirt this much at home too?

no, we just sit in the living room with our lap tops and communicate through IM. and sometimes we hold hands...
    geekhouse:
    stickyfoot:You two flirt this much at home too?

no, we just sit in the living room with our lap tops and communicate through IM. and sometimes we hold hands...

or genitalia, elephant-walk style...Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    Do you elephant-walk to the elephant walk restaurant?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorslowski

Dudes, we're talkin' handlebars not gay bars.

Back on topic: My bicycle has a handlebar, all you guys are using handlebars. Should I switch? Will it be different? Should I try it out and decide for myself?If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    Srsly.... there is a restaurant like that near the St. Mary's T Stop on the C line.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorslowski

and it used to be on mass ave in cambridge srsly.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    • CommentAuthorgc

slowski:and it used to be on mass ave in cambridge srsly.

i believe there still is one on mass ave in/outside of portergone
    • CommentAuthorslowski

*yawn* yeah, your probably right.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    back to handlebars. so i just picked up some track drops today, had used road drops briefly in the past. i haven't been to fond of either. in fact, i think i may return them and go back to my risers. have i just not given them enough time?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i think if you didn't like road drops, you won't like track drops. they have even less of a flat (as i'm sure you've noticed by now) and hence, fewer hand positions. they're meant to be ridden predominately in the drops, and you're only really supposed to ride in the drops if you're sprinting. my guess is that you don't commute everywhere at a dead sprint and riding the flats starts to hurt your wrist b/c it puts all the pressure on your hands at a funny angle. at least, that's what i've found when i've been too lazy to switch out my drops a day or two after going to the track. i mean, you could be like john souza and use track drops while exclusively riding the little bit of flat all up on the stem.but at that point you might as well use super-chopped flat bars.

moral of the story, if you like risers, stick with them. if you'd like a little variety to spice up your life, try bullhorns with no drop. and if you have no intention of going to the track over the summer...you might consider returning them. otherwise, they'd be worth holding onto.
    well, i mean, i bought drops for longer rides. i did about 40 miles last weekend and after 20 i was looking to put my hands somewhere else. should i give the road drops another shot?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

bullhorns=drops w/out the sprint position, IMO. feel free to correct me if i'm wrong but that's how i see them. you have the horns for climbing/alternating hand positions and the flats as well. i grab the bend sometimes when i'm casually riding and feel like switching things up. no great sprint position but like i said, you only really want to be in the drops for sprinting. it's an aggressive position that isn't sustainable.

way i see it, options are:
    1) go back to risers if you're ok with the limited hand positions.
    2) keep the road drops and, if you miss the way you used to be angled on the bike, get a shorter stem with a more upright angle. (the upright will get you to the same height, i say shorter as well b/c keeping your hands on the hoods extends your reach and stretches you out more than you're used to)
    3) give flat bullhorns a try but you might still want to switch out the stem for a shorter/higher one for the same reasons as above. i keep talking about bullhorns b/c i happen to love them, but i suppose that's a personal preference. i feel that for you, getting bullhorns with a drop would be counter-productive since you seem to like a more upright position and to get the same effect you would need a crazy angled stem.
    4) i don't recommend track drops for street riding. really not meant for commuting. keep the track drops on the track.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007 edited

ok
    serious question: if i ride my bullhorns predominantly with my hands jammed near the stem, does this make me a hipster

?

okthanksbaigone
    • CommentAuthorgone

^it seemed like we were having a pretty good run on the new bostonfixed without somebody having to go and pull out the h-word...
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007 edited

mncplfreedom:^it seemed like we were having a pretty good run on the new bostonfixed without somebody having to go and pull out the h-word...

well i wanted to cut to the chase rather than beat around the bush

re:
    "I saw a bunch of people walk into the Enormous Room this evening, survey the general scene (all those tattoos and oversized bags and 'Breaking Away'), and walk right back downstairs..."gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

le lion couchant:ok
    serious question: if i ride my bullhorns predominantly with my hands jammed near the stem, does this make me a hipster

?

okthanksbai

that just makes you a person who might have hateful wrists in a few years. :)
    • CommentAuthorgone

le lion couchant:
    mncplfreedom:^it seemed like we were having a pretty good run on the new bostonfixed without somebody having to go and pull out the h-word...

well i wanted to cut to the chase rather than beat around the bush

re:
    "I saw a bunch of people walk into the Enormous Room this evening, survey the general scene (all those tattoos and oversized bags and 'Breaking Away'), and walk right back downstairs..."

If you were going to pick up a bagel and lox, and there was some kind of model airplane builders' convention at the bagel shop, and all these model airplane freaks were taking up all the seating, you might end up opting for the place down the street, is all.

It was funny to watch this scenario play out multiple times, is all.

Jeez Louise.
    • CommentAuthorgone

But anyway, risers are not so bad.

Whoever mentioned Soma Major Taylors are not so bad, either, if you are in a situation that favors drops (Velodromes, for example).

Whatever kinds of handlebars will accommodate a basket are generally yr best bet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

+1 to that.

oh man. i miss my basket...

why did south jersey have to eat my bike? mannn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

the only drops worth riding imo are road drops with two road levers... because the hood and the flats are the best place to ride drop bars generally.
    yeah, i think i'm gonna try road drops with a working and a dummy lever, see how that goes.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.