Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2008

I need a lockring tool and a chain whip.. which tools do you recommend and where do you recommend getting them from? I'd kinda prefer to order them online, cus then I can have it shipped to Texas and it's one less thing to pack/ship..
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

^chain whip needs to be 1/8 btw
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik

get a hozan lockring tool, they are the best. I always just use my frame as the chainwhip.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobs
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2008

lockring pliers trump spanners a million to one.

http://shop.vendio.com/benscycle/item/847018397/?s=1209205956
    what about something like this
    clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Lockring pliers? I thought the only tool they would never find a way to over complicate was the lockring tool.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

I considered pliers but I ended up ordering the shimano tool estratton posted.. I'll report back with a review, maybe..
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

that shimano tools pretty rad, but pliers make a world of difference, you won't fuck up your lock ring as much.
    the best chain whip isn't actually a chain whip at all. Chain whips from what I've seen, used, abused and broken Are ALL SHIT. My buddy who owns a shop in NYC showed me his cheap-ass but better than the real tool way a long time ago. I used to do it this way but then thought I would get a "real tool" and things would be better. They were not. So anyway, what you want to use, believe it or not is a big fucking chain, like 1/2x3/16th, about 6-9 inches long wrap it around the cog and use a 16" pipe wrench (the chain just protects the cog). A pipe wrench is 50 million times stiffer than ANY chain whip. and it'll never break. It works great and I love the method. As for lock rings, I use the Hozan "ring pliers" it looks cheap as shit, but mine is a few years old and works like a wet mother fucking dream.
    • CommentAuthorjohnderson
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2008 edited

^just to clarify,

Are you closing the pipe wrench jaws around the chain-wrapped cog and then tightening the whole thing using the pipe wrench?
    yup, werks like a dream
    • CommentAuthorjohnderson
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008

awesome. I'll definitely keep that in mind.
    does anyone make an interchangeable chainwhip? i'd like something i can use on 1/8" cogs and shimano 10-speed cassettes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

you can change the chains on most whips.. and 1/8 fits around a 3/32..
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobs

i'm a big fan of the not chain chainwhips, like this:

mine works on my road stuff just fine, and is 2 sided for 14-16 tooth cogs, or 17-19 tooth cogs.
    but will 1/8 fit around 10 speed cassettes?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

what is this cassette you speak of??
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2008 edited

kilgore_trout:does anyone make an interchangeable chainwhip? i'd like something i can use on 1/8" cogs and shimano 10-speed cassettes.

no need for such sillyness.

fit the chainwhip onto the large cog of the cassette..presto, no interference. if you are running a straight block cassette or similar with small gaps in cog size, it might not work.
    obviously 1/8" chain will fit over the <3/32" 10speed cog.

actually there's no need to run a 1/8" drivetrain anyways, but thats for another time.

conor:but will 1/8 fit around 10 speed cassettes?

yes

10speed cogs are <3/32" thick and 1/8" > 3/32"gone
    I was only speaking of track use. I still use a flimsy chain-whip for switching cassettes
    jacobs:i'm a big fan of the not chain chainwhips, like this:

mine works on my road stuff just fine, and is 2 sided for 14-16 tooth cogs, or 17-19 tooth cogs.

Aren't those rather pricey too.....clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2008

estratton:
    jacobs:i'm a big fan of the not chain chainwhips, like this:

Aren't those rather pricey too.....

What good tool isn't?e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    ^touche.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

but over $100 is excessive IMO.. I mean I love a good tool and all, i could spend serious dough in a snap-on or similar catalog, but yikes those things are pricey..

Seems like you pay for the EAI brand.. I suspect if jacob has one he paid less than the full $130ish retail price, i dunno tho, maybe he really fucking wanted/loves it..
    ^well the chainwhip tool/lockring tool you got was ~ $42? Add on a couple wrenches and it's maybe $50? So this is an additional $70 for them to all be in one tool....

*this might go on my list of desired b-day gifts now too. Then I can just pawn my other tools off on to you fells ;-)clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

point taken.. mine was 36 fyi
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008

tell me of your tools, this thread should be used more.

cheap set of cone wrenches? donde esta?enjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008

chainwhips have been discussed already but I'll throw out that I've been using the chainwhip estratton mentioned in post #4 for awhile and it's awesome (had to replace the 3/32 chain with a 1/8 tho, but that's typical).

I also can recommend..

pedro's three way 4/5/6 allen wrench:

Felco C7:

Pedro's tire levers:

I've been considering a set of ratcheting wrenches.. I've used and like pedro's but they are very expensive, as are craftmans, anyone used GearWrench?

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_47816_47816
    I'd also like to recommend a really really basic tool as well....

Park tools CC3 - chain wear indicatorclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    i should probably look in to a chain wear indicator, though my current system has sufficed so far:
    road bike: 2,000miles then get a new chain
    cross bike: probably 1 chain per season...not sure what the ruling on wear vs grime is on cross/mtb chains
    track bike: going to take a while for me to need a new chain since it's only ridden on the velodrome
    everyday work bike: when there's noticeable stretching and/or it's grimed to all fuck, replace it
    •  
      CommentAuthorsquaretaper
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008 edited

great thread! re: cost of tools: my pops always said, "you only buy good tools once." the word.

^^ the park is ok but this is the bee's knees:

^^^ morgan, if i was stuck on a desert island (albeit one with multi-speed drivetrains and glass-strewn roads) those three would be in my carry-on. i think you could strangle a crocodile with a pedros lever (also good for sanding down to make decal scrapers) and just seeing the pic of the felco made my skinny jeans tighter. bravo.

oh, and OP: the hozan is the shit. all-in-ones inevitably sacrifice something for the sake of an imaginary perfect unifying harmony:
    strong, light, cheap: pick two
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008

http://www.biketoolmaker.com/Site/Welcome.html

Some crazy nice stuff.
    I'm fairly certain he won't sell to you unless you're pro.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Like a crack dealer
    e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobs

late response, but, my chainwhip actually isn't even meant for bikes. i'm pretty sure it's a motorcycle/moped tool and cost me something like $3 at a pawnshop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsquaretaper
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited

mrotown:http://www.biketoolmaker.com/Site/Welcome.html

Some crazy nice stuff.
    I'm fairly certain he won't sell to you unless you're pro.

arrrg! why did you show me this? this dude makes the snap-on guy look like red riding hood... i'm ruined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

In a pinch you can always do roto-fix method to get cogs off...this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2008 edited

Speaking of tools, can anyone provide some help with getting this old bottom bracket off. The tool I have is shown in the pictures and its just aren't cutting it. Any tips on getting this thing out of there? The next step is take it to a shop to have it removed but I'd love to avoid spending repair fee's. (and i realize the tool is backwards in the picture, i don't know why i took the picture that way)Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    •  
      CommentAuthorstilgar

soak the whole damn thing in oil for a couple of hours/days you would be amazed at how helpful that can be...

Also that tool has a rather short handle, if you can get a piece of pipe to slide over the end that is say 3 feet long, that bottom bracket will come right off.

That or get a vice and the kind of tool that like fits in the vice and you move the frame.this wont hurt a bit...
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Look at the pictures of his machine shop. The stuff is phenomenal. High quality tools that are a lot more clever than the big guys.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    Bike tools are so goofy and specialized.

Working on cars, you can take apart and put the whole thing back together just about with some sockets, extentions, wratchets, and a hammer.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

Soft T-Rex:Speaking of tools, can anyone provide some help with getting this old bottom bracket off. The tool I have is shown in the pictures and its just aren't cutting it. Any tips on getting this thing out of there? The next step is take it to a shop to have it removed but I'd love to avoid spending repair fee's. (and i realize the tool is backwards in the picture, i don't know why i took the picture that way)

you trying to get the lockring off? or the actual bottom bracket?MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorPork_sword

I agree with the disgust for chainwhips for track hubs. My method differs slightly, but it's much the same basic idea as iphone's. I just wrap some spare chain around the cog, throw the mess into a vice and then you can grab the rim and pretend your steering one of those giant dump trucks until the cog is off. My cogs seem to get screwed on real tight because I still pedal up my wheelies, rather than using my weight to pull up the front, I broke a chainwhip, skipped down mission hill sans lockring and finally got the cog off with a vice. Lubed the threads on the new cog fo sho.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex

Ok so managed to get the lockring and free side out and everything else. I just need a bigger wrench to get the fixed side off which shouldn't be an issue getting a hold of. I pretty much just kept oiling it and hammering at the lockring tool until it finally gave.
    fmradio516:you trying to get the lockring off? or the actual bottom bracket?

Whole thing, planning on replacing it.Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    •  
      CommentAuthorggreggg

i usually just remove lockrings with my teeth.enjoy two cosmetics
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex

teeth, the real mans multitoolHey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    http://www.chainlove.com/

pedro's tool kit! gogogo!You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    octopus magic:Bike tools are so goofy and specialized.

Working on cars, you can take apart and put the whole thing back together just about with some sockets, extentions, wratchets, and a hammer.

maybe you should sell your bikes and stick to cars... sounds simpler.
    •  
      CommentAuthortravisW
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008

mmm bmw V10boooyah
    ^^I've taken apart and put back together a Porsche 911 SC engine. By far one of he most fun and time consuming things I've done in a long time.

BTW, red lock tight is the devil on car engines. WHY someone thought it was a good idea to use it on something is beyond me, but it was a nightmare to undo it.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorblitzgreeg
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2008

i rebuilt a cadillac engine with my friend joe. it really doesnt take too many tools, but it is indeed timeconsuming
    •  
      CommentAuthorFlashroute
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2009

Does anyone have a headset press i could barrow in sometime in the semi-near future?
    whisper me if you do... sknahtSeeds Sewn: Re-Cycling Hatter of Boston... Only at OPEN Bicycle