Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorXLAbester
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007

What is the best place to be on a bike in Boston?

My top candidates:
    1. Mass ave bridge when a bus zooms past me, giving me 3 blissful seconds of perfect draft.
    2. Coming down off the BU bridge towards Cambridge, when that light is green and you can sail quick through the underpass.
    3. Biking ultra slow through Downtown crossing at rush hour.

AND THE WORST...
    1. Coming around the bend on South Huntington at Heath Street, thinking my wheel will catch in the trolley track and I will be completely dead.
    2. Longfellow bridge (huff puff huff puff huff puff wheeeeeeBUMPwheeBUMPwheeBUMPwheeBUMP SCREEEEEEECH red light every goddamn time)
    • CommentAuthorgone
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007 edited

Best:
    1. 1200 block of Boylston coming back from the Medical Area...
    2. Behind the Schrafft's Center (not even on the bike, per se, just watching the cranes across the river move stuff from one pile to another
    3. Most of Kendall Square, Cambridge (so long as you don't end up on the Longfellow Bridge in the end)
    4. Seaport Blvd. and/or Summer St. outbound across the channel.

Worst:
    1. Prospect St. Cambridge
    2. Rutherford Ave in Chucktown coming back up from underneath the Austin St. overpass (Yield sign, motherfucker!). By extension, that rotary where it looks like everybody's going to cut you off to get to Everett isn't so hot, either.
    3. Most of Rte. 28 Westbound.
    4. Most of Mass Ave., Boston
    5. Most of Central Square, Cambridge
    6. Most of Harvard Square, Cambridge
    7. A St. South Boston
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

Best:
    Going down Summit Hill
    Worst:
    About halfway up summit hill.

Also, Longwood.dongpincher 1000
    • CommentAuthorslowski

best/worst: Sullivan square rotary (mostly best)If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    huntington ave coming down from brigham circle is probably my favorite stretch.

i pretty much loathe biking in cambridge period.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i do not like that stretch.

i might be biased, however, as mr. harper from mattapan felt that need to t-bone me there. messed my day/week/month/etc up some. drivers around that area are out of their damn minds. too preoccupied with being important doctors and all that to care about other human beings on the road.
    BEST:
    Huntington Going into the city when you catch all the lights starting just past south Huntington.
    Ripping Beacon from washigton square to kenmore if the lights are good
    Anywhere during rush hour when you get to own all the smucks in cars

Worst:
    Crossing the tracks from South Huntigton to Brookline Village
    Longfellow bridge coming back into the city in those fun bumps that where earlier mentioned
    I have forgoten the name of the street, in between Tremont and Atlantic if you come right off Boyloston I hate all the holes.-LD
    • CommentAuthorjohnderson
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2007 edited

That huntington ave stretch is sick. Especially when its late at night and you shoot two or three lights and have an open road from the top of the "hill" by mass art all the way to Qdoba by northeastern.

On a nice day, riding on the Fenway by SMFA is sweet. So are the roads near the reservoir by BC.

I strongly dislike all of mass ave in cambridge and that stretch of road near the basketball court leading towards south station.
    Best:
    Coming down fort hill from Roxbury across Columbus ave and through the Heath st rotary can feel like a rollercoaster if you catch the light at Columbus.
    Coming into the intersection of Harvard and Comm ave from coolidge at speed can be interesting.
    Riding to 1 western ave to drink, sit, or talk in the architecture.
    Smoking Traffic on Melnea Cass.

Worst:
    Centre St JP rush hour (double parking+tracks=oh shit.)
    I second Propect st in Cambridge.
    Intersection of Dot ave and Freeport st in dorchester.
    best:
    -gunna go with the 1200boyalston all the way to tremont. nothing like flying through those intersections.
    -park plaza all the down st james to huntington into 111/101 huntington loading dock.
    -third st from east cambridge to one broadway
    -newbury st during the day (yes during the day)
    -surface road from norwash area all the way to summer
    -im really starting to like the southend alot

worst:
    -all of cambridge except for the one i mentioned earlier
    -downtown crossing at all times
    -BlACK FALCON its fun to ride i just hate going there
    -newbury st (during the day)(yeah i said it) lol
    -kneeland st from tremont to atlanticride bikes for money not for fun(unless your drunk)
    • CommentAuthorPugatch

BEST:
    christian science center in the rain its a skidder's playground

WORST:
    prospect street from central sq to somerville ave

I actually don't mind Cambridge or Mass Ave at all but that's just me. I bike for exercise and fun not for work, I do 20-30 miles everyday between 9am and Noon often with stops in Central Sq and Downtown/Chinatown for food, bike parts, and books. I'll admit it I'm a shopaholic. Riding in Boston may be hectic cause of the busses, taxis, and mass of people BUT I'm used to riding in a small ass city of New Bedford and all the burbs down there from Cape Cod to Providence, RI and those people aren't used to bikes ESPECIALLY in the road and can't handle it and beg you to stay on the sidewalks. Its refreshing to ride around vehicles that the drivers don't have heart attacks cause I am next to them.Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrandonc
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007 edited

best:
    columbia from mass ave all the way through franklin park
    atlantic ave heading north during massive traffic
    that stretch of cambridge st in allston from the descent toward n harvard to the river st bridge
    haul road westbound
    mass ave from central to north cambridge at 5AM, especially blasting through harvard square
    greenough blvd/mem drive in cambridge at night
    the arboretum at night

worst:
    beacham st/williams st
    kenmore during a big sox game
    s huntington during a snowstorm
    central square at 2:30AM on a weekend
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007

Worst
    Prospect St in Cambridge
    The Minute Man bike path during nice weather
    Longfellow bridge (specially the boston side)
    Charlestown bridge

Best
    Minute Man path on a cold day when you are all alone
    mass ave bridge
    CSC
    Castle island
    Arboretum
    Back bay area
    Almany st, when scott's not working for the Pats...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

i dig beacon street from BC all the way to mass ave. seems to always be a little tailwind.

i don't dig brattle street in cambridge. no traffic really but bad pavement. and i usually do it in the dark.
    • CommentAuthorkanst

ratattack:i do not like that stretch.

i might be biased, however, as mr. harper from mattapan felt that need to t-bone me there. messed my day/week/month/etc up some. drivers around that area are out of their damn minds. too preoccupied with being important doctors and all that to care about other human beings on the road.

I second that, I live over there and I am pretty confident one of the drivers in that intersection is going to kill me.
    • CommentAuthorraff I el

Best: comm ave from T anthony's to kenmore between 8-10 am, and only in that direction.

worst: summit hill (+1 danny)Geryon was a monster everything about him was red.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

i dig on boylston from mass ave to arlington. ya can haul throgh there and weave in n' out. and look at fine ladies.
    i think the only place that is bad is center st in JP, shit is a mine field once those tracks come into play.there ain't no magic in the breakdown baby
    brunop:i dig on boylston from mass ave to arlington. ya can haul throgh there and weave in n' out. and look at fine ladies.

plus one. i was doin' that not ten minutes ago!You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorNelson

I HATE Rutherford Ave and the Charlestown Bridge.
    If it's windy enough, I'll actually walk my bike across that damn bridge.

Everywhere else is great.
    Esp. the stretch of Broadway in Somerville between Mcgrath highway and Sullivan Square, and anywhere in between South Station and the B Side Cafe.In the big rock candy mountain, the jails are made of tin
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2007 edited

best: catching a draft off the semis along binny st coming out of cambridge.
    the little side roads out along rt 2 in lexington/arlington.
    brookine at night- no parked cars.
    comm ave from mass ave to the commons.
    The slight downhill slope coming back east into cambridge from bellmont or watertown.
    The middle of any street during a snowstorm.
    the espanade late at night.

worst:
    mass ave through central square. the worst.
    sullivan square and bu bridge rotaries.
    anywhere with trolley tracks on the street. bonus negative points to the places in jp where the tracks appear and disappear every block.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    Pugatch is 49x18:BEST:
    christian science center in the rain its a skidder's playground

WORST:
    prospect street from central sq to somerville ave

I actually don't mind Cambridge or Mass Ave at all but that's just me. I bike for exercise and fun not for work, I do 20-30 miles everyday between 9am and Noon often with stops in Central Sq and Downtown/Chinatown for food, bike parts, and books. I'll admit it I'm a shopaholic. Riding in Boston may be hectic cause of the busses, taxis, and mass of people BUT I'm used to riding in a small ass city of New Bedford and all the burbs down there from Cape Cod to Providence, RI and those people aren't used to bikes ESPECIALLY in the road and can't handle it and beg you to stay on the sidewalks. Its refreshing to ride around vehicles that the drivers don't have heart attacks cause I am next to them.

agreed Prospect is the worst.

and hanging out at the csc with you was the best ride ever, in my opinion :)never say die
    • CommentAuthorgone

Nelson:

Everywhere else is great.
    Esp. the stretch of Broadway in Somerville between Mcgrath highway and Sullivan Square, and anywhere in between South Station and the B Side Cafe.

That's a pretty excellent stretch just for strolling along. The night before Thanksgiving (around 615 on a Wednesday mind you) I was walking to the orange line with a pie in my hands, and it might as well have been prime-time Saturday night in Central Square...

If Central Square was in some kind of Alternate Universe.