Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorcrazy0
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010

^ in the name of science, i would like to nominate myself for lab rat
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2010

^ i would also volunteer to taste and evaluate the marihuana beer. whisper me. please.

hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

(for real though).
    It sounds like the hot water bit is just a variation on the water-cure method, only necessary when dealing with fresh material.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010

I just put my honey lager in the fermenter last night, and she's a-bubblin'!
    going to utilize a secondary ferm. w/ irish moss to really clear it up. I went with adding some crystal 10 and belgium biscuit grains, and I think they should be really tasty with the honey.

I'm down to try making that marijuanale!
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2010 edited

Speaking of sea moss, have any of you ever tried Kelpie?

The smell was cool, the beer tasted like beer.

edit: looking at online reviews it sounds like they must have changed the underlying beer... I only bought it once, just after they opened the River St WF.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2010

another brew day- repeating a steam ale recipe that came out great a couple months back. also transferring my honey lager to a secondary
    • CommentAuthorcrazy0
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2010

so theres a new beer out apparently, Infinium is the name, and with a name like thats, its GOTTA be awesome, ima get me a bottle asap. any one try it yet?

http://www.boston.com/ae/specials/culturedesk/2010/11/infinium_an_entirely_new_style.html?comments=all#readerComm
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010

^yeah. sam adams has been doing considerable work on new strains of yeast, which is why they're able to achieve that high an alcohol content and still comply with the german "pure beer" laws.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeNov 23rd 2010

actually sounds horrible.
    Sounds pretty gross to me as well... I'm kinda wondering if they had any at the Sam Adams stand at the Harvest beer summit thing (which was pretty awful itself, what the hell?)

I think I need to come up with some sort of semi-derogatory name by which to refer to all alcohol, to counter the term "weed."

Swill is the best option I can think of at the moment... rotgut could also work depending on what kind of swill I'm talking about.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010 edited

sippin' on a honey lager I bottled earlier this week. pretty tasty, pretty strong. Could still use another week conditioning to get nice and bubbly though.
    Just put another steam beer in the secondary fermenter last night, where it'll sit til the weekend at which point I'll bottle that delicious dark, beer.

Also I guess sam adams has contracted their "big" brewing to a Miller connected brewhaus. perhaps thats why all their beers taste like dinky this year..
    •  
      CommentAuthorcparx
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2010

tanooki, you interested in collaborating on that brew sometime in december? maybe 15th or 16th?
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

for sure! I've got a friend (brew buddy) who's down as well. We're thinking of a 3 gallon batch, probably 1/3 oz of the special hops should suffice
    if you wanna come by wednesday i'm brewing a smoked apple ale with said friend. whispo me
    Can you guys hold some sort of beer brewing seminar/drinking session sometime? There's no reason I shouldn't be into this hobby.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcparx

paul, just read up, then watch someone brew. you can make it as easy or as complicated as you want - the guys at the modern brewer will help a whole lot too. i don't mind letting you borrow my equipment for your first batch if you don't want to spend too much money right up front
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2010

that's a good idea paul. we could have a "brew" party where we show you the how-to. Then we could have another party where we drink it.
    if a good amount of people came something like $3 a piece would cover the costs
    If I ever get my gear set up, we could have a progressive brew night, where a group brews at your place, then walks 20 yards, and brews at my place!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2010

tinyhonkshus:If I ever get my gear set up, we could have a progressive brew night, where a group brews at your place, then walks 20 yards, and brews at my place!

like a pub-brew crawl!
    you moved into the neighborhood?
    Yeep, corner of Comm and Allstoni mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011

anybody been to that new joint mead hall yet?
    me and my work peeps are lookin' forward to trying it out, but my plan is to wait a week or so- apparently even with 300 seats or whatever it's been pretty packed.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2011

brunop:anybody been to that new joint mead hall yet?

Apparently it's pretty rad. A friend just went and said good things.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    • CommentAuthoramhoov
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011

Just discovered this at the Trader Joe's in Brookline:

Delicious!
    ^darn right it is.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2011

^^i don't get belgian. it all tastes vaguely of tube socks after 8th grade track. for real. sour shit. even the so-called IPA belgian stylee. i taste sour. almost like sweaty ball sack.

sorry. ya'll can have that overpriced shortpoured swill.

just gimme a FULL FUCKIN" PINT surface tension pour of ipswich, torpedo, hop devil, racer 5 IPA.

belgian. mehhh.
    I'm pretty meh about most Belgians as well but that is a good one. Speaking of sour though, what's a good sour that's available at beer stores? They don't generally seem to carry 'em.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorgrev
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011

harpoon's new ufo pumpkin ale is fucking greatnot another pitcher!
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2011

^^monk's cafe is a great little bottle. A flemish sour, not too tart with a nice sweet balance. They sell them in singles usually. I've seen them at Wine Gallery in Kenmore, Brookline Lickers, and I know the whole foods at River st has them.
    great, thanks!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I'm pretty sure i've seen either rodenbach redbach or duchesse de bourgogne at blanchards
    i enjoy both quite a bit but their wineyness is not for everyonebowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    • CommentAuthoramhoov
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2011

Solid and delicious. Claims to be a pilsner, but is more like the red-headed bastard of an IPA and a pilsner:

thinking about brewing my first pumpkin ale sometime next week. anybody had experience with it?

found what appears to be pretty solid advicebowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2011 edited

I didn't click the link cause I'm cooking but in my experience the best way to use pumpkin is to roast in in the oven at 300 for an hour or so. Til it's nearly nice and soft, but still has some form. You don't want it leaking out of the bag too much.
    Half it, roast it, skin it, drop it in a muslin bag and steep like you would specialty grains before adding the malt.
    You can also sprinkle a lil cinnamon while it bakes.
    Some recommend using canned pumpkin, but that can be hard to find. And if you're going to be buying cans, just buy a canned beer ;)

That dogfishhead description makes me think of an article I read in the Brew News. It seems some craft brewers have pushed beer "styles" so far to the limit that they are no longer applicable, descriptive or informative.
    Belgian-style IPA Ommegang..? I mean it's good, but just call it an ale for god's sake!
    i'm riding to the 3floydz brewery tomorrow. midwest motherfuckers.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    anybody want some 5 gal plastic bucket fermenters? i think i have 4. 2 of them definitely have spigots, 2 may not.bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011

this is intriguing to me. i was just saying the other day that i'd like to learn how to homebrew.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

sometime last year people were talking about wanting to learn. I still think a fun event would be to have a little brew session, then a drink session a few weeks afterwards

FYI - to brew any batch you'll only need 2 plastic buckets, one with no spigot (the fermentor) and the other with spigot for bottling
    do you want me to set you aside 2 lauren?

i also have an extra hydrometer and a few other bits i don't need...bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    • CommentAuthortristan

home brew-o-clock. I wish it'd come out clearer and with a bit more citrus and hoppiness, but its still pretty tasty.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

it's jitensha:do you want me to set you aside 2 lauren?

i also have an extra hydrometer and a few other bits i don't need...

that would be sweet!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I would enjoy having a brew session and then a drinking session a few weeks later. This would make me very happy.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

tristan - that looks delectable.
    Not sure how long you've been brewing, but don't worry too much about clarity. That's usually attained by big brewers by using adjuncts and full on precise mash schedules.
    If you do want to clear your batch up though, add a tsp of Irish Moss during the last 5 minutes of the boil. It acts as a coagulant- grabbing loose proteins and weighing them down. You can also let the brew sit in a secondary fermenter for a few weeks to let the sediment settle, then carefully rack it off into your bottling bucket.

What would be the best way to do a brew session that could be inclusive? We all throw in some dough, agree on a style and do it in someone's kitchen?
    Most people pop their boners for homebrew pumpkin ale, and it's getting to be the season. Maybe in the coming weekends we could set aside a day, then some weekend in Oct, have the tasting party.
    I'm totally open to other styles as well, it's only Sept 9 and I feel like I've heard enough "cinnamon on the ring plz!"
    I wish I had time to brew. I would totally bring food and stuff to a drinking sesh if I can mooch burrz.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I know nothing about brewing and am willing to drink whatever you brew. I'll throw down 1/x of the cost and drink 1/x of the beer. And then we shall eat and laugh.
    Let's pick a date.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    i want my date to be joe. dibsatron.

also, fuck pumpkin, lets make something dark and smokey.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2011

Hey, Ted's back. Sounds good.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    i wanna be a part of this...

rauch-marzen anyone?bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    go to bed guys, it's nearly 1amsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    That saison is the product of irish moss and a week in the secondary. i think it looks nice with the clouditude. I was under the impression that commercial breweries removed cloudiness by centrifuging the shit out of it.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    from what i have heard/read/seen there are several techniques that commercial breweries employ, including the use of adjuncts, a very aggressive boil, cold-breaking, centrifuging, and filtration among others...

as a homebrewer i've found that extra time in the secondary naturally helps, as well as extra time conditioning in the bottle (which allows for yeast to flocculate after priming). one of the bigger sources of cloudiness in homebrew is chill-haze (which also negatively impacts stability), caused by proteins and tannins from the malt that clump together in suspension when the beer is chilled to serving temps. an aggressive boil + irish moss followed by chilling the wert to pitching temps as quickly as possible can help mitigate chill-haze. also, if you are patient, leaving the bottles chilled at serving temp and undisturbed for a few weeks will give the chill-haze time to settle out.bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse