Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

tanooki:
    If you do want to clear your batch up though, add a tsp of Irish Moss during the last 5 minutes of the boil.

I'm interested in this session... Both of them.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2011

i find most all of belgian style beer foul, frankly.
    it tastes like butt, for the most part.
    you cats really like it?
    virtually no hops and sour yeasty flavor.
    i hate it.
    whatevs...

and all that "flavored beer".
    unh huh.
    give me IPA

but drink whatever ya want! or don't!

i just don't get belgian.
    Our rugby match on Saturday was against/at Seacoast up in NH, who is sponsored by Smuttynose. So all the free beer after the match was Smuttynose IPA and Star Island Single. win.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011 edited

i drank beer last night.
    yesterday/today i made my first fermenterator! got a decent craigslist minifridge and a love TSS2 temp controller, gutted and replaced internal thermostat. sorry for shit pics

now home to about 2 gal of cider for the next two months or so

this is the first step in a larger plan to expand the fridge chamber to accomodate 2-3 5 gal carboysbowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2011

Awesome! It looks very pro, too. I should get you to install a temp regulator on our kegerator...ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    thanks! the company that makes the controllers is based out of indiana i think but the instructions are on par with things ordered off ebay from china. fortunately there are a good number of forum threads concerning the topic floating around. once i got things figured out it was really pretty simple and salvaging the wiring from the original thermostat made it possible to set it up without having to drill into the chamber or anything crazy. the wire coming out the back is a temp probe i havent entirely decided what to do with yet. also, my room can get pretty cold during the winter so i am going to wire a small ceramic space heater to the controller to keep things cozybowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2011

So, Marianna and I just finished up a brown ale (clone of moose drool). Its smooth, very drinkable, and reflects the descriptions of the original very nicely. The topper for me though? We finally made a beer that has clarity. I know, I know, it doesn't matter. It does have an effect on presentation, however, and its something that I feel distinguishes the average homebrew from a commercial beer. The secret? half a tab of Whirlfloc.

We've got a batch of 1.5 IPA going now - it started as a sierra nevada pale ale clone (the recipe for which was the first beer Marianna ever brewed), for which we bumped up the grain and hop bill. Result (so far) is a deliciously hoppy smelling bigger beer, but not quite a double IPA. started @ 1.062. I am really excited for this one. Our dining room smells like juicyfruit hoppy goodness.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

that sounds awesome tristan. Brown ales are lovely, but I rarely find one I love on draught anywhere. let's trade
    I've got my stout in the secondary right now, and it will be bottled on Saturday.
    Also thinking of doing a honey lager (again) same day, as the back steps get mighty chilly at night.
    • CommentAuthortristan

We could absolutely trade... but we dont bottle. You could bring some of yours over, and we could have a keg-n-bottle sesh though!ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    I am working on getting a bottler from some guy on the internet. I want to be able to trade!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

you mean the capping mechanism thingy? they're quite cheap at the brew supply store, and caps are about $3 for 100. it's cheap as chips! plus it gives you incentive to drink - you need empties
    • CommentAuthortristan

No, we've got the cappy dealy. we need a bottling wand that works with a keg tap - see here.

filling from the tap has been messy and wasteful before, and its something we'd like to avoid again.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011

That's a great gadget.
    I put my name down on a waiting list for a bottle of Dogfish Head 120 Minute for my darling Tristan, but when I got the "it's here" call, he told me he got his own elsewhere. I am planning on calling the store back and telling them to release the hold - would anyone like to dibs it before then and pick it up either at my house or Marty's on N. Beacon. Pay retail in any case.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I'll buy the shit out of that, from Marty's or you.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2011 edited

^^ I want a case... or two... too.unstuck in time

Release party tomorrow at the Independent, unfortunately I can't go.

It's already controversial, oooooooh.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2011

I'm all for naming your product what you like, but that is a bit stupid. Why alienate your home turf - for the sake of being cute? Rather similar to Wormtown from Worcester. They may have nice beer, but that's a disgusting association to make with a drink.

In other news my stout is, don't mean to honk my own horn, to die for.
    And I have an irish red ale bubbling away in the fermenter.
    dq: does anyone else always spell fermenter with a -tor first?
    'cuz probably the only people alienated are the lame-o's who don't drink beer anyway. Everyone else can take a joke.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

surprisefries:'cuz probably the only people alienated are the lame-o's who don't drink beer anyway. Everyone else can take a joke.

Beer drinks are notoriously uptight people."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    I am talking about beer drinkers, not beer snobs.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorgc

wormtown black ipa is pretty good.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

surprisefries:I am talking about beer drinkers, not beer snobs.

I meant that as a joke."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    YOU'RE A JOKEDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2011

YOU'RE A TOWEL"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    WHAT IS THIS SOME SORT OF TOWLIE BAN?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    it's illegal to ship alcohol from mass. right? i want to send some homebrews to my family back in illinois...

how risky is it lying to the ups or fed ex people about the contents of my package?bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    • CommentAuthortristan

My coworker ships ups/fedex frequently. He has a fedex account, which allows him to print out labels at home, and just drop off packages. No questions asked. Past that, he recommended putting some coins in a cd case so it makes noise when you shake it. Tell them its assorted goods, or something. Worse comes to worst, you'll be out a couple beers.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthortristan

oh, and do not, do not, do not ship USPSascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    I shipped beer from the FedEx in Coolidge and I don't think they even asked me what it was.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    My crazy uncle shipped me and my parents a bunch of moonshine once...along with a case of two dozen live cicadas encased in dry ice, shipped it Fedex. I'm pretty sure that covers all the bases of Hazardous, Alcoholic/explosive and live animals.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    oh also, Narragansett in small cans tastes wayyyy different than Ganny in tallboys.

And there's a liquor store in Roslindale that sells PBR in Bottles. the bottles ironically have a picture of the can on the label.

And finally, there's a christmassy harpoon? I think.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2011

You're 20."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ^^^When you we're knee high to a grasshopper, the PBR bottles looked classier. I sent a couple of angry (drunk on Red Dog in protest) emails to PBR begging them to switch it back.

You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

^pbr is not beer. it is water.
    • CommentAuthorgc

CraigwithScissors:oh also, Narragansett in small cans tastes wayyyy different than Ganny in tallboys.

And there's a liquor store in Roslindale that sells PBR in Bottles. the bottles ironically have a picture of the can on the label..

wait until you see narragansett in bottles. sounds like that will blow your mind.gone
    ^^that's what ive been trying to tell my body.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I had high life for the first time in ages tonight (two bottles of it) and I was surprised at how not bad it was. It was after a glass of Jameson and two whiskey and sodas, so there might have been mitigating circumstances involved. Why are we discussing shit beer again? Weren't we planning a home brew session? Let's talk about that.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    rum and sodas, homie.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2011

So, I just ordered some simcoe whole leaf hops. If you folks want an ounce or two to play around with, lemme know.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    gc:
    CraigwithScissors:oh also, Narragansett in small cans tastes wayyyy different than Ganny in tallboys.

And there's a liquor store in Roslindale that sells PBR in Bottles. the bottles ironically have a picture of the can on the label..

wait until you see narragansett in bottles. sounds like that will blow your mind.

I've had that before! I actually like it because it has brainteasers under the cap that get harder or easier the more you drink.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I'm gonna have to ask around and make sure no one else got sick (i.e. maybe it wasn't the beer?), but I think maybe a big bottle of Very Old Brown Dog made me sick last night. Admittedly after my first glass (and some other drinks) I went back to finish the bottle and found a little insect floating in the beer that definitely came out of the bottle.

Anyway, several hours later, after driving home, and going to the supermarket... hot flashes (menopause?), cold sweat, nausea, dizziness... good times!

I have bad luck with big bottles, I think.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011

That's very strange. It may have been the bottle, but I can't imagine a little insect making you that ill. Besides, the alcohol in beer would sterilize any bacteria out of existence.
    Sounds like maybe you didn't have enough water as well.

I'll be bottling my Red Ale tonight if anyone wants to help me - you'll be sent home with a couple bottles. It goes by much faster with two pairs of hands
    tanooki:Besides, the alcohol in beer would sterilize any bacteria out of existence.

Untrue.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I am actually having a hard time finding what is the minimum concentration of alcohol that will kill bacteria. But there's no way most beer would do it, I doubt even stuff in the 12-13% range would work. Or else one wouldn't need to be so thorough with the sterilization steps.

I may actually set up an experiment on my bench tomorrow.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2011

I was planning to brew a rye ale tonight, but I'm having trouble getting up the gumption to actually do it. Bleh.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    ^^bacteria can definitely survive past 13%...malolactic fermentation in wines is the result of activity by lactic bacteria and occurs post fermentation. Also, acetobacter, responsible for turning beer and wine into vinegar is another example. What i have read is that as long as an 'infected' beer has undergone a successful primary fermentation, it can't harbor anything that can truly harm you, but it could definitely make you a little sick.

on an unrelated note, just bottled my turkey day beer, a cranberry cream stout. Left it on fresh, macerated cranberries in the secondary for a week or so before racking off to let it settle out before bottling. Initial tasting is surprisingly tart up front with a really nice coffee/chocolate finish. Very unusual but i'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. here's to experimental brews!bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    I suspect that it's not so much that the alcohol in finished beer will kill bacteria, so much as "it's not just a big vat of sugar anymore" because the yeast has eaten most of it, so it can't support that much more growth of anything.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy