Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012

^yeah i got it second time around.
    also agree on the hesitation. couldn't turn left for weeks after breaking a few ribs once. very zoolander.
    • CommentAuthorben

It was my fault. I was taking back roads too fast, came around a turn, and a car was fully backed out of a driveway into the road. It was either plow into them or into the embankment on the road. I chose the embankment. Fortunately it was mostly dirt and besides scratching up both sides of my bike (how?) and really banging my already-bad knee, i was ok. The driver just sat there for a moment and then drove off.

The worst part was that I was 15 miles in to a 97 miles ride. I made it home but my knee is on ice at the moment.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2012 edited

ben: really banging my already-bad knee....my knee is on ice at the moment.
    doesn't this count as hurting yourself? nevermind, you said "break"

sorry that happened though.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

ben:It was my fault. I was taking back roads too fast, came around a turn, and a car was fully backed out of a driveway into the road. It was either plow into them or into the embankment on the road. I chose the embankment. Fortunately it was mostly dirt and besides scratching up both sides of my bike (how?) and really banging my already-bad knee, i was ok. The driver just sat there for a moment and then drove off.

The worst part was that I was 15 miles in to a 97 miles ride. I made it home but my knee is on ice at the moment.

Just commented on the tumblr, Ben. Glad you're ok. Could of been SO much worse. I hate descents. Always liked going up, never down. Over 35mph I'm uneasy. Palms sweating as I think of it even.
    Car diver? What a bastard. LGBHG's Dad I bet. Fucker....
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2012

mrotown:blue is speed

Bummer about the crash, but good to hear you weren't hurt
    I hate crashing less because of the injury and more because of how it makes you hesitate for x amount of time afterwards.

+1

dick move on the car driver's part!
    Saffs:LGBHG's Dad I bet. Fucker....
    srslyMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    I have been slowly helping teach my friend basic bike maintenance, except he's preparing to get into touring (starting with Boston -> NY, eventually up and down the coasts), so it's been fun figuring out all of the shit that could go wrong, and how to jury-rig and finagle things from scrap. It's also been a test of my knowledge as well, because other than track bikes and 10-speeds, I only know how to set up modern stuff in theory. Finally, today I got to install a new casette, a new crank, re-adjust the deraillers (Shimano 105, with brifters) which have been messed since he took a spill a while ago, and also talk him through the whole MTB/road/caliper/v-brake pull issue to help figure out rack placement. Finishing a bike that's not my own is super satisfying. Making it so that he's closer to not needing me anymore is bitter-sweet. Figuring out through discussion that he thought tires were sized to match rims (i.e., there is a 700X24 rim, that can only use 700X24 tires) makes me feel like a bad teacher.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012

he may get to a point where he doesn't need you to be there to tell him how to do stuff
    but you guys will probably bounce ideas off of each other in the future and i feel like the phase after teacher:student is bike nerd:bike nerd and you guys can nerd out about shit together and be equals!

i see a lot of this go on between folks in the house and at TCS who all know a lot about bikes
    they consult each other about new parts and weird parts, geek out about ebay finds and the newest bike catalog/magazine on the kitchen table. it's good! and high fives for being willing (and able) to help your bud out!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    i have successfully to date saved the most amount of money I have ever saved. granted it's really not that much...but it's growing.tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    ^woot!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2012

I jumped out of a planeExcept our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2012

get after it!e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2012

Last Friday I rode from Boston to Montreal in a single shot.
    22.5 hours on the bike.
    311 miles
    17mph moving average.

I'm still recovering.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    woah.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I've never heard of anybody doing it in a single day. That's freaking amazing.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

mrotown:Last Friday I rode from Boston to Montreal in a single shot.
    22.5 hours on the bike.
    311 miles
    17mph moving average.

I'm still recovering.

What?!!!
    Amazing. Well done!
    • CommentAuthorObo

Holy f*ck dude.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i wondered who rosey was tackling that with. nice job, sean!
    mrotown:Last Friday I rode from Boston to Montreal in a single shot.
    22.5 hours on the bike.
    311 miles
    17mph moving average.

I'm still recovering.

This is incredible and inspiring. Did you log a GPS route?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthoringsy
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2012

I broke my collar bone yesterday...was riding on 3A, near the bridge in Quincy, hit a bump and my rando bag flew off - tire hit the rando bag and I flipped over the handlebars onto my hands, helmet, then back/shoulder. Thank God for helmets and pain medicine. Lessons learned: take the lane when the road shoulder is non-existinent or full of pot holes, don't overload a rando bag, and make sure my helmet is on correctly ( a nice woman at harris cyclery recently adjusted mine).
    Whoa! Glad you're relatively ok. Hope ya heal up fast.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorslowski
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2012

i just made it 2 solid years without any legitimate form of identification. all i had was a credit card (with my name misspelled) and my dispatchers expired city express id from 2001 for when i go downtown. finally caved and went to the dmv today. i lost all of my paperwork in a move a couple of years ago and it's quite a pain in the ass to prove who you are when you have nothing to show, next up is to try to get a social security card.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    I managed to rear-end my wife on the ride in, right in the middle of Union Sq. Sometimes I forget how much she uses her brake. I have some scrapes and an out-of-true front wheel for my dumbassery. Plus like 1000 people saw it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^YOU HIT LADY FRIES?! How is she? Baby Fries?!clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    Oh pshaw. She's fine. Babyfries was safely at daycare, it's close enough to home that we walk over with our bikes and him in the bjorn, then ride to work.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2012

Ever seen Naked Lunch?
    I just killed a roach that was, no joke, 4 inches long AND FLEW.
    and didnt scurry from the light, but rather sat on a painting manipulating it's antennae at me.
    creepy motherfucker.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2012

male roaches fly. my old coworker raises them for her lizards & her roommates don't know. one male got out and was flying around the apartment & her roommates freaked out thinking they had a roach infestation. after that she clipped all the wings off.
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2012 edited

An actual accomplishment, though given this is a bike forum I don't imagine it will strike the fancy of everyone -- but fuck you then ;)

Finally up to the right ratio for weightlifting, and all at even 45# plates:
    Deadlift - 405# (just a single, which you can actually see video of here)
    Squat - 315# (3x5)
    Bench Press - 225# (3x5)

Bench was the slowest to come along (long arms = hard). I'll also use this opportunity to say, this was all accomplished at my own gym, which me and two other friends started up in April. It is really coming along in gear and members. If you liked all this talk of iron come on by: Cambridge Strength & Conditioning JoeyFresh has been in, until he was too busy and got himself married. And Shah will be in once its too cold/nasty to messenger.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2012

You're a monster. I want to come check that place out once I return to city life Sept 1. I don't think Mike's gym has power racks : ("Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2012

I would only be 5th in terms of pounds moved for those three lifts in our gym. And one guy Jake is only 21, and quite a bit shorter, and kicks all our asses. Has been doing it seriously for several years.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    MungoRocks:Ever seen Naked Lunch?
    I just killed a roach that was, no joke, 4 inches long AND FLEW.
    and didnt scurry from the light, but rather sat on a painting manipulating it's antennae at me.
    creepy motherfucker.

there was a roach in the shop the other day that I had to set fire to to get it to die. I tried white lightning degreaser to kill it at first (figuring it was SORT of like RAID), but the fucker just sat there on the bench and took it. a rubber hammer just maimed it and made it run slower, but fire finally killed it.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012

I just rode in the Gran Fondo field of the Green Mountain Stage Race. This follows the Stage 3 route, which is 70 miles, and ends at the top of the Appalachian Gap. I've never climbed anything close to that without walking the bike, so my goal was just to not DNF. I had a couple minor mishaps along the way, but I ended up with a respectable time, and managed to avoid DFL by...wait for it...6 people! The Pro/1 winner was 17 year old Logan Owen, by the way.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012

^Nice! App Gap is a tough mofo.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2012

i was there just a few hours after you. on foot, not bike.gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2012

Obo:An actual accomplishment, though given this is a bike forum I don't imagine it will strike the fancy of everyone -- but fuck you then ;)

Finally up to the right ratio for weightlifting, and all at even 45# plates:
    Deadlift - 405# (just a single, which you can actually see video of here)
    Squat - 315# (3x5)
    Bench Press - 225# (3x5)

Bench was the slowest to come along (long arms = hard). I'll also use this opportunity to say, this was all accomplished at my own gym, which me and two other friends started up in April. It is really coming along in gear and members. If you liked all this talk of iron come on by: Cambridge Strength & Conditioning JoeyFresh has been in, until he was too busy and got himself married. And Shah will be in once its too cold/nasty to messenger.
    Well done!dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2012

I'm afraid of flying, so I decided to jump out of a plane on Monday.

Tuesday, I gave my 2 weeks' notice.

HIGH FIVE.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    does this mean you're becoming a professional skydiver?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    conor! for mod:does this mean you're becoming a professional skylocross rider?

FTFYclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    First crash in bibshorts=new bibshorts day.

Road rash sux

but learning that touch inhibits pain was one of the best things that studying psychology ever taught me.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I went rowing (crewing) for the first time ever today (on the Charles). New found respect to those who can do it well.

All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    YAY!

howd you like it? i assume you were sweeping?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    ^^ & ^.

Also yay.

From the picture it's anyones guess as I see both sculling oars as well as what looks to be a double and a quad and a four in that picture.
    I rowed and coxed for many years. Love the sport.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    No idea what either of you are talking about. Hah. I went in a single ("tub"?? boat). Friend (same guy who is teaching me German) was on US National team and rowed for Oxford. He coaches at Windsor High School (boat house we went out of, and where that pic was taken). His co-coach's daughter was in the olympics that just ended. Crazy shit.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Single Scull.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2012

accomplishment:
    Ran a tough mudder (12 miles, 22 obstacles, more mud than you could shake a stick at. seriously. lot of mud) on no sleep after doing delivery till midnight and wrangling drunks till 5am.dongpincher 1000
    hold on now..did you do the tri-state one?
    because i did the same one as you then haha.
    i likewise was operating on little sleep (3 all nighters in the prior week)..so cheers!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2012

Yeah! 9:20 heat on saturday. you?dongpincher 1000
    haha i started at 8:40 on saturday. finished around 11:55, course kicked my ass but it was fun!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I won best mustache at my work holiday disco party whatever thing.

I may also have just had 6 beers at said party.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    winningsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2012

Does that say "Best Naturally "Grown" Mustache"? (with the quotation marks?)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries