Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited

i dig the stripped down clean look of a track (stylee) bike as much as anyone and keep a whip that's all stripped down. but i also dig racks n' bags (and fenders for that matter). for their usefulness AND looks even. what are yall rockin' in terms of bike luggage?

i just put a surly nice rack on a karate monkey with a twee nigel smythe saddlebag i got from rivendell. last night i put a tubus minimalist "fly" rack on my long-distance whip with a carradice barley bag. i dig the look of canvas bags.

thing i like about racks and bags is no sweaty back. that and ya can carry more beer and all.
    • CommentAuthordmofot
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007

I've only got one rack, but it's plenty strong to do universal duty from commuting to off road touring to quick and easy beer runs. I'm running the Old Man Mountain Red Rock rack. For bags, I've got a set of waterproof Axiom panniers and an Axiom trunk rack. As for fenders, I'm just using a set of Planet Bike full fenders made from some plastic composite.

Although I'd really like to get a nice bag that will utilize the bag loops on my Brooks saddle, it's just not in the cards for now. Up to this point my bags have only seen a couple of overnighters, a few big beer runs, and a lot of commuting. Everything is holding up good though!

DTFat Boy Deluxe Blog
    • CommentAuthorJer

I totally agree with you, and if you use your bikes for transportation fenders/bags/racks are super useful. My commuter is rocking SKS P45 silver chromoplastic full fenders, and I have an old Blackburn rear rack waiting to make an appearance. I was looking at bags this AM, but not sure what to get(don't really have the $$ for it anyway ATM).

All last year I rolled with an egg crate on my rear rack, and that was freakin awesome.
    jer
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2007 edited

I like my tubus fly rack- it's lightweight, but still really solid. Run it with the small orleib panniers, since short track bike chainstays+ big feet don't leave enough room for the full size ones. I'd like to add a front rack/bag to help equalize the weight distribution.

Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

howl:I like my tubus fly rack- it's lightweight, but still really solid.

yeah i loaded up my carradice barley bag restin' on the tubus fly for the commute this morning. solid as a rock.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

alexi gigantic:I took the train this morning and read up on bicycle quarterly, also solid as a rock :)

i ain't got mine yet. i subscribe (yeah, i'm a geek). when did ya get it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008

check it yo. velo orange bracket makes the bag bomber:
    'dice bag
    • CommentAuthormindchalk

as far as bikes go, mine are pretty stripped down. just the absolute basics. i had a basket in the past, but just didn't like the way my bike handled when it started gaining weight in awkward places (like right above the front wheel) about the only things that will go on my bike from time to time are my headlight, tailight, and occasionally the odd borrowed flamingo fender. i've always preferred to carry weight on my back, and upgraded to a larger, more comfortable bag this week. 40$ of groceries, 6 16x18 canvasboards, 6 tubes of paint, 4 sketchbooks, and all my tools and brushes, and i'm still able to scoop up a nice light bike not loaded down with gear and carry it inside.out of true.
    i was thinking of sticking my rack and bags back on my bike, but i'm missing one thing. my old cannondale bags have this like ring thing on a spring to keep them from flapping around all over the place, and they had this hook like washer thing that went over the bolt for the rack. but i cant find them anywhere. anyone have anything like that? or even know what i'm talking about?
    • CommentAuthormindchalk

try ace hardware? they're usually good with weird hooks and washers.out of true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgastronomin
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015 edited

I know Alex already told me to throw my bike out and buy a new one but I have a question about racks and panniers.

I have a Surly Pacer with lower eyelets on the frame and fork, but no mid-stay, mid-blade eyelets. I ordered a pair of mini short stacks from Swift (super stoked). I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount them. I know Tubus, Soma, Axiom all make rear racks that mount at the rear eyelets and behind the brake caliper. The only thing about these racks is they seem to mount the bags a bit higher which is whatever I guess. I also know that VO, Soma and some other folks I'm sure make narrow front racks that mount at the axle and again behind the brake caliper. Same deal here, they can mount panniers but would have them pretty high. I've heard having the bags lower improves handling but I can't seem to find many racks with good reviews that can mount bags lower and work on my bike.

I was leaning towards a rear rack like the Tubus Fly, but now I'm thinking maybe something like the VO constructeur could be good?

Also, I know P-clamps can make any rear rack mount onto a bike like mine, but is there a similar work around for fork mounts? I know it's trickier because of blade tapering.

TLD;DR need help figuring our best configuration for small/medium panniers on a bike with no mid-stay/blade eyelets.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015

gastronomin:Also, I know P-clamps can make any rear rack mount onto a bike like mine, but is there a similar work around for fork mounts? I know it's trickier because of blade tapering.

LMSBFFY:
    pocky:I thought the Tara is supposed to work great with Tubus's clamp-on adapters even if you dont have mid-fork braze-ons. Is this false?
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015

Chris what are you trying to do with the racks/bags? Multi-week touring? Commuting? Overnighters?

All of this can be done rackless - none of my current bikes have any eyelets and I commute with a bike mounted rando bag and tour with an oversized saddle and handlebar bag
    •  
      CommentAuthorgastronomin
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2015 edited

My back is mad at my freight bag. Just small panniers for commuting shit (carrying my computer and relevant work stuff, groceries, etc.) and for longer weekend trips (newburyport to portland), bikecamping stuff. Ultimately it probably doesn't matter what rack I use and whether it's front or rear bc the weight will be very low, just looking for opinions.

Also, what the fuck does LMSBFFY mean?

EDIT: ah very nice. I see what you did there :-*and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    Does anybody use a support system for their oversized rack-less (eyelet-less) saddle bags, like the Carradice SQR or Bagman QR? I have a small frame with my Brooks pulled way back, and the bag still hits my legs and scrapes my back wheel.

Just wondering if there are cheaper/better support options, or if these are where it's at. Or if these are not where it's at.Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2016

I think Nat has a bagman and says it's awesome and worth the money. He also had someone fabricate a rail attachment thing for a holder someone else made, which was way cheaper but I'm not sure how effective it is. Can ask and take photos later."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    yo dude

my SQR Tour bag is rigid af. The whole thing is internally reinforced with hard plastic so i've never needed extra support. do you have a bag and you're looking to support it or are you tryina bag out? I've had 0 problems with the carradice in years of use, but I imagine on a tiny frame it might be tough to get mounted and with a slammed back lazy boy saddle it'll rub the ham hocks a little. everyone likes those strappy bikepacking bags like this:

I've no experience there though.

I only assume you're getting ready for your tour of the iberian peninsula with me and this is to carry all the lupini beans and bacalao.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    @Nandy that's good to know about the Bagman, on account of the $$! That rig sounds interesting, but I’m looking to avoid DIY due to a lack of faith in my own craftsmanship.

@Paul BONJOUR, TO YOU! Enjoying some sauerkraut down under in foggy London are you?

So I just ordered the Carradice Camper Longflap, which I understand to be a large fellow. I worry because my Banjo Bros saddlebag, which is MUCH smaller than that, sags and scrapes against my tire when it’s maxed out (and it uses the same fastening mech as SQR). I also tried a bag of similar size to the Longflap and it scraped me legz. But, it’s good to know that Carradice is stiff af.

Maybe I don’t need anything? Maybe I need to stop riding like a lazyboy? Maybe I need to cruise over to the High-beeryman Bongninsula and do some lupini blotters with you?Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    holy dang, 24 liters. thats a spicy meatball. no idea how the longcampsman is constructed. how's this for a weird idea: is there enough room on the rails of your saddle to mount a second seatpost behind your real one? just cut it short and strap the bag to that.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    And that's why you're the mayor of science. I'm going to try that shit out!Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    For anyone playing at home, the Carradice Longflap Camper with the SQR is still not enough support to keep the bag from hitting your rear (700c) wheel on smaller frames (like 54cm). The bag is just too yooge.

@Nandy I probably should have gotten the Bagman, but a bungee attached to the SQR does get the job done.Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.