Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

yup
    I'm really into climbing, but I don't have any climbing partners around.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008 edited

^ i'm guessing you ski also?

gone
    is that dan roch on the cover?!
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008

you kids want to go climbing on friday? some place local, say, quincy quarry or hammond pond? I have transportation, so we just need a time.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    dooshrocket:Let's turn this into the rock climbing thread

I know a good spot for bouldering and top roping up in Malden. the map says its only 5 or so miles from powderhouse square in s'ville. I have my own gear plus a 60m dry line. I know some people have mentioned climbing, if there were at least 3 who are knowledgeable and comfortable then it would be safer for anyone without experience to get some. I'd be looking to do this during the week in the evening and/or a couple of times a month?

I can elaborate if theres interest.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=2018989

waits mount park in malden,
    oppinions like kittens
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2008

^I'd be down for that, you interested in going friday evening? How many routes are there, and what's the grading like? I've got crash pads, a dynamic line, a static line, and enough slings, cordelettes, and 'biners to probably put up points for three ropes.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    3 ropes sounds like a party. Friday evening sounds great. this place in malden is not very high, but it has maybe 6 or so easily accessible anchor points spread out along the length of the wall, which gives options. you kinda have to use your imagination to make it as easy or technical as you are looking for, but it's good for a couple hours of entertainment. I have no idea about difficulty grading, do they factor in broken glass and gang wars into the 5point system? I figure it's a good starting spot for people to come out and get comfortable climbing with each other before taking it anyplace more serious. I personally think 3/4 people is best for a small group, but am down for whatever.oppinions like kittens
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008

^ have you been down to hammond pond at all? It's right off of boylston in Brookline, also not very tall (highest is probably about 30' maybe 40'), but has a good variety of grading and a lot of routes for somewhere that's basically in the city (there are 4 or 5 different walls in the area). It also has a decent little bouldering section, and the bonus of no broken glass or gang wars.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    I am totally down for whatever you guys decide on.
    I'm obviously still new to the area so I have no idea about climbing areas around here.
    I do however have some gear, rope, webbing, a cordallette, buncha beaners, slings, quickdraws, etc
    I've never been to hammond pond, If that's closer to you guys then malden, maybe we should start there? either way is fine. my spot is way out there, ghetto as fuck but still worth a checkout. whatever is easiest, we don't all need to bring rope, I'll carry mine to malden or you carry yours to hammond and I'll meet you there? it stays light pretty late these days. lets do that.oppinions like kittens
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2008

let's hit up hammond on friday then, I'll drive from my house if people want to meet there (secure bike parking for all). I'll bring my rope, if someone wants to bring a second that'd be cool, but you don't need to worry about 'biners and slings as I have enough to go around, and I'll bring out the crash pads too. If people want, we can even bust out the headlamps and lanterns and keep it going into the evening.

Speak up if you're interested, I'll whisper address and contact info to you.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    Can you point out hammond on a map? I'll bring my rope, is it not sensible for me to ride there? Timing wise Im in for a couple of hours but would like to leave when it gets dark. which is like 9 these days, so meet at like 6:30?oppinions like kittens
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008 edited

dooshrocket:Can you point out hammond on a map? I'll bring my rope, is it not sensible for me to ride there? Timing wise Im in for a couple of hours but would like to leave when it gets dark. which is like 9 these days, so meet at like 6:30?

here's hammond:
    View Larger Map

It's totally easy to ride there (although riding out boylston that way is a pretty shitty ride take beacon over to the hammond pond parkway instead), I just usually travel with more gear than is possible for me to ride with (and also with non-riding friends) so I usually drive to climbing. Doosh, if you want to meet there at 6:30, that sounds good, I'm thinking of heading down a bit earlier and maybe doing some bouldering, so if people are interested they can either come by my house if they want to be lazy or just meet over there whenever they feel like.

As for gear, it looks like Doosh is bringing his rope, I'm gonna bring mine and all my anchor building stuff and some pads, so everyone else can just show with shoes and harness and we should be good to go.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    ugh
    I really want to climb, but I also kinda promised some people to go to c-mass. I'm new in town, figured it be good to make some friends. What level do you guys climb at? When is the next time you think you guys will go climbing?
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2008

central mass? eff that, come climbing. I'd say I'm a .8-.11 climber outdoors depending on the type of climbing.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    what about doosh rocket,
    I def cant do 11s, 10s maybe, and climb 7-9s mostly.
    Just dont want to hold you guys back
    oh, c-mass as critical mass (the bike thing) not c-mass as central massachusetts.
    It would be a terrible mistake to not go climbing for cm.

I have no Idea about the point system thing, just come out and climb on rocks.oppinions like kittens
    bluedog,
    I dont live too far off from hammond pond, but if you're driving could you whisper me your addy just so i see where you live?
    if any of you are ever in the worcester area there is a really great place called college rock in hopkington that i go to

that or crow hill in leominster<3 Kate Class
    • CommentAuthorbluedog

Chicago Karl:what about doosh rocket,
    I def cant do 11s, 10s maybe, and climb 7-9s mostly.
    Just dont want to hold you guys back

I mean, I've climbed one maybe two .11s, I wouldn't be worried about holding anyone back.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    • CommentAuthorGrim Ryan

I climbed indoor a couple of times this year. loved it, definitely interested in getting into it. Let me know if anyones going on a noob friendly excursion.Duffman Can't Breathe
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008

So it looks like climbing might be out this evening, Hammond won't dry up by then evening and it's supposed to rain more. If it wasn't about to be rush hour, I would suggest hitting quincy quarries but it'll take us an hour to get there right now. Monday is supposed to by nice, and I'm planning on heading out to Crow Hill with a couple of people if any of you guys are interested.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    im interested for monday if theres room

I was on one of those little BU sailboats when the storm broke loose.
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008

sweet, I was walking home from buying lunch.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    ok, some other time maybe. I'm still thinking about scrambling around on something later though.oppinions like kittens
    •  
      CommentAuthorChicagoKarl
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2008 edited

bluedog i know you live real close
    doosh, if you wanna ride over...
    if you want, ringer park has one really nice boulder
    and i think 2 smaller ones

i have time till like 6.2..ish

View Larger Map

it's on the south east side entrance of the park
    Anyone up to try again?
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2008

I'm in Maine right now with family, but when I get back I'm up for it.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    Are we gonna try maybe for a weekday again? I think you were talking about a monday before?
    • CommentAuthorbluedog

yeah, I like weekdays 'cause there are usually fewer people.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    do you want to maybe try for monday?
    I've been ancy to get out there...
    maybe dooshy will be available too
    • CommentAuthorbluedog

I'm in maine until the 10th, and it's also supposed to rain from now till then (at least up here that's what my forecast says. When I get back though, we're on.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    sounds good.

its been raining almost everyday here....
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotosan
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2008

is there any info on the net about climbing in the boston area?
    • CommentAuthorbluedog

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Massachusetts/Greater_Boston/

or even better, buy the Boston Rocks book, it's pretty damn good. The Falcon guide to New England climbing is decent but out of date with regards to quincy quarries.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotosan

thanks... I wasn't sure if there was an online guide about the routes.
    we gonna try this again?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotosan
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2008 edited

Chicago Karl:we gonna try this again?

Once, I'm finally there and get my gear sent to me. I'll be down.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFlashroute
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008

Anybody here into bouldering? slacklining?

www.newenglandbouldering.comSeeds Sewn: Re-Cycling Hatter of Boston... Only at OPEN Bicycle
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

i wanna go indoor climbing soon if anyone knows of a place / wants to goEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    Metro Rock does free rides from the T, can't remember where it actually is, something like quincy. I'm game for indoor.
    nah nah
    quincy is south, and outdoor climbing is at qincy quarries
    you gotta take the orange north, and call em from the station to pick you up
    or just raide your bike there.

but then again, non of us really ride bikes here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel
    • CommentTimeDec 11th 2008 edited

Yeah, I've ridden to MetroRock before. It's kind of a pain and a little hard to find, but it's worth it. Place is huge.Fuck yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFlashroute

I'm working on an indoor cave-like setup on my attic but it's still a one or two months off... I'm down for indoor...

I like BRG (Boston Rock Gym) in woburn best but merto in everett is good too... about the same price for a pass

BRG

Passes:
    Climbing: $15
    Student: $12
    Bouldering: $12
    7 visit Punch Card: $89 (7 for 6)

Gear Rentals:
    Shoes: $4
    Harness: $2
    Belay device: $1
    Chalk bag: $1
    Equipment package (all gear above): $7

MR

Climbing Fees

Regular Day Pass $16
    Weekdays before 3 pm 12
    Students & Seniors
    (with valid ID) 14
    Bouldering only 14

Equipment Rental Fees

Shoes $5
    Harness $3
    Belay device & carabiner $2
    Chalk bag $2
    All inclusive package $9

BRG is the cheapest and has the most to offer for and evening or weekend day stintSeeds Sewn: Re-Cycling Hatter of Boston... Only at OPEN Bicycle
    •  
      CommentAuthorFlashroute

Oh and I have a car (...sssshhhhh don't tell anyone i drive it...)Seeds Sewn: Re-Cycling Hatter of Boston... Only at OPEN Bicycle
    • CommentAuthorbluedog

I always drive to metro rock, I just want to be lazy and eat after climbing, not have to work more to get home. Also, flashroute you're the first person that I've ever heard say good things about boston rocks in woburn. I've never been, but everyone I know who has hates the place.

As for outdoor stuff, quincy quarries is fun for roped stuff, and hammond pond is cool cause it's really close. Pawtuckaway up in NH is pretty cool, and I haven't made it up to rumney, but it's pretty much the sport climbing mecca of the northeast and I've been told it also has good bouldering.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    •  
      CommentAuthorFlashroute
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008

yeah... I've never been to teh quarries or rumney but have heard good things... esp about rumney... pawtuckaway is a fav of mine for bouldering as is the north shore. we should get out there as soon as the weather permits!

re. BRG: everytime i've been to metro they have given me major attitude and BRG seem to be way more chill, also i guess since a few friends of mine have worked at BRG in the past I have good memories there and feel more at home... I am not opposed to Metro at all I just feel more comfortable at BRG. I'm up for going to either site!Seeds Sewn: Re-Cycling Hatter of Boston... Only at OPEN Bicycle
    • CommentAuthorBrian
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2008

I go to metro rock and I love the place...I haven't had time to go in forever.

but, I have a car so if a few people want to go some time we can pile in that and go.aka: ph0to