Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2013

Motherfucker don't even got thumbs.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

ben:Looking to start an outdoor-gear collection. I know it's a long shot, but if anyone on here has webbing, quickdraws, biners, etc. lying around not getting used, I'd be interesting in taking some of it off your hands (in exchange for American moneys).

Ehh, I'd be wary of buying used climbing gear. Maybe not 'biners, but anything else I wouldn't do. Maybe it's just me, but I'd buy new and have some peace of mind, you never know how people have treated their stuff.unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthorben

I hear ya. I'm not going to buy a used rope, and any gear I buy at this point would be used for relatively static loads (practicing setting TR anchors, and then eventually setting them in easy areas like Quincy or Hammond) with a lot of redundancy.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

Honestly, if you're just looking to practice toprope setup, especially in/around Boston/New England, you don't need much. Maybe two double-length slings, two normals, some lengths webbing and a cordelette with some locking biners is plenty. Definitely don't need quick draws. You can get most of that stuff by the foot pretty cheap at REI or something.unstuck in time
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

Just don't super fancy dynema/dynex stuff.unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthorben

Quick draws are a longterm goal, and something I want to have sitting around to practice clipping while reading/working/etc. Like the rest, if someone has some sitting around unused it seems a good opportunity to give them a life again.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Ben...my best friend wants to come by and check out Brooklyn. What's best time to swing by?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013

Depends on what you mean by 'best time'. If you want there to be lots of people to watch, talk to, and possibly climb with, then Tue/Wed/Thu from 6-9pm is going to be the busiest. If 'best time' is least crowded, then saturday or sunday from like 1-4pm, especially if the weather is nice. If you/they want to take classes (yoga, etc) you can find the schedule here; most are between 6 and 9pm on weekdays.

If you come during off-peak hours (i.e. not 6-9 during the week), there should be someone around to give you a tour and explain what we're all about.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    He got laid off 2 weeks ago, so he can swing by whenever. Thanks for the info.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeSep 24th 2013

chr|s sedition:He got laid off 2 weeks ago, so he can swing by whenever. Thanks for the info.
    In that case, weekdays during the day will be even emptier.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2013

$15 day passes all day for the ladies. Music, food, etc tonight from 5-11pm.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2013

Winter climbing sale at Brooklyn Boulders Somerville? on Black Friday.

Especially perfect for cyclists looking to cross train, have fun, and stay fit during the shitty winter months.

More info here: http://bkbs.brooklynboulders.com/black-friday-deals

(cross-posted from Random Announcements)I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I want to get a winter pass but I cannot be there. Is anyone going and can you buy a pass for me?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013

I'm outta town or else I would have helped :(I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014

Apparently, while I was gone Brooklyn Boulders started offering $17 day passes if you bike in and show your bicycle benefits sticker. Makes it a little more reasonable if you're just interested in trying out climbing.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    I'm going to take the resurfacing of this thread to say that thehum and I joined the AMC Boston Rock Climbing program and it is a great goddamn time. Window for joining the class this year is closed, but if you're at all interested in doing outdoor climbing, and want to take instruction, then this is totally worth doing next year. $200 ($160 if you're an AMC member) for the course, but it's spread out across six 6-hour weekend days, so it basically works out to 36 hours of instruction for $5.50 an hour.

Overall goal is on learning to second for trad climbing, but you learn a lot about anchor setups and thus get tons of practice and tips on toprope anchoring, please being able to belay from multiple positions and devices. So even if you never figure on going trad, it's still a useful class for getting autonomy to climb outdoors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2014

ben:Apparently, while I was gone Brooklyn Boulders started offering $17 day passes if you bike in and show your bicycle benefits sticker. Makes it a little more reasonable if you're just interested in trying out climbing.

I'm there a bunch and didn't even know about that!
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2014

Yeah, I only noticed the tiny sign by the front desk because I was working there for like 6 hours. Coworkers have said practically no one has used the benefit so far.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014 edited

Bike week is happening at BKBS starting tomorrow.

The main thing of interest is $19day passes if you bike in, including gear. (Normally adult day pass + shoes + harness = $32) Lots of bike shit going on every night, too.

I'll be out of town for most of this unfortunately, but I hear Artisan's is apparently setting up their minidrome inside the gym on one of the days heard wrong - they were asked to, but apparently it's already been torn apart. Still, lots of stuff happening.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014

Two things.
    Piggybacking on Ben's comment. Boston Bike Polo will be at BKB on Friday night. 8PM. Due to size restrictions we will just be showing off some 1 on 1 skills and let people try out the bikes/mallets.
    On another note, I did my first V4 today.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2014 edited

Nice job on the V4. I feel like the jump in bouldering grades is pretty rough 3-4, but then 4-5 isn't so bad, and it gets real tough again going 5-6.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2014

I've only been screwing around on V4's for like a few weeks, but focusing more on V3's. There are a few more V4's in the newly reset walls that I want to get.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2014

Central Rock is opening another gym in Fresh Pond behind Alewife. The new gym won't have top roping. It will be boulderig only and the work out area will be crossfit style with, of course, bay door that open.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015

Brooklyn Boulders is having a 2-for-1 online sale for Learn The Ropes classes today and tomorrow. Learn The Ropes teaches how to be a safe belayer - the person who stands on the ground and manages the rope and the climber's safety while they're on the wall. It's a really good deal to gain a skill that you'll have for years - and that you need if you want to climb at any climbing gym in the country.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries