Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorskater
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2008

Along with cycling and skating, I also help coach the Boston Derby Dames. They have a bout coming up Saturday the 19th. Our very own Boston Massacre will be challenging the Ohio Roller Girls. Check www.bostonderbydames.com for more info and tickets.

These "bouts" are a blast. There's even an after-party right there at the event.

Dan.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

dongpincher 1000
    I've never been to a roller derby, but have thought about going from time to time. Do they sell beer there, or can I bring my own?
    • CommentAuthorHowardR

Were these the same lame girls who kicked us out of the allston courts one night saying they had a permit for the court but really didn't?
    the prospect of women and social d intrigues me...
    As long as it isn't fucking Burlesque.

Burlesque is like stripping if women invented it. Because it's so fucking horrible and lame.But the fact of the matter is: Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!
    jesus tristan!

pick one fight at a time!flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2008

octopus magic:Burlesque is like stripping if women invented it. Because it's so fucking horrible and lame.

Going to a strip club is like being starving and having someone rub fake plastic food all over your body, telling you how delicious it is. Which is to say, lame.

Burlesque, at least, has better fashion sense along with the opportunity to be clever.
    What if you're full and just enjoy plastic-food massages?Word nerd
    Rob Gigantic:What if you're full drunk and just enjoy plastic-food massages? gettin' drunker?

i'm with rob. burlesque show means i gotta mind my manners.

...although NYC strip club means someone like me runs a high risk of gettin' punched in the face. ...not unlike an On Broken Wings show.

anyway, i've always wanted to go to a roller derby match. i will come with no expectations of girls being

1) good

2) sober

3) attractive?

i think any one of those three would ruin the point.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    • CommentAuthormindchalk

as an art student i avoid strip clubs for fear of seeing friends there. every year there's 1 or 2 more girls that drop out and join the slipper or centerfolds.out of true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid

Rob Gigantic:What if you're full and just enjoy plastic-food massages?

then, by all means, lean back and enjoy the show.

as for roller derby, the girls run the gamut: some are small, fast, maneuverable, and good looking.
    some are larger and just good at shoving people around. everyone's basically vicious. and most-look-same under the safety gear.
    it's not a meat-market. nor is it a pity-sport showcase for fat girls with low self-esteem.

aside from the pre-bout posturing and attitude, it's mostly a veritably vicious knock-em-around competition on eight wheels.
    y'know, good clean family fun. with beer. sold to you by Shriners. in fezzes.
    Amanda, do they do mainly flat-track bouts? I watched one derby bout in Seattle once, and it was rather difficult to tell what the hell was going on. But I wasn't down near the action.

I always thought it'd be fun to have little mini track races as a derby pre-event. Though it'd be better if there was a banked track.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid

The Boston Derby Dames are part of the WFTDA - Women's Flat-Track Derby Association. So, they bout on a flat track, and at the Shriner's Auditorium, it's pretty easy to see what's going on.

Banked Track, however, is apparently the shit. I've never skated on one, but like at the velodrome, you can go a hell of a lot faster through the turns. One of the Texas Rollergirls was chatting it up to me.

Different teams also have different tactics. The Texas teams, IIRC, focus on speed-skating. So, they're really good at wearing down the other teams. A few other teams rely on fouls and strategy. It varies.
    I keep on trying to get my parents to go to an Arch Rivals bout and report back, but they keep claiming they're too old for that sort of thing.
    karyatid:
    Rob Gigantic:What if you're full and just enjoy plastic-food massages?

then, by all means, lean back and enjoy the show.

as for roller derby, the girls run the gamut: some are small, fast, maneuverable, and good looking.
    some are larger and just good at shoving people around. everyone's basically vicious. and most-look-same under the safety gear.
    it's not a meat-market. nor is it a pity-sport showcase for fat girls with low self-esteem.

aside from the pre-bout posturing and attitude, it's mostly a veritably vicious knock-em-around competition on eight wheels.
    y'know, good clean family fun. with beer. sold to you by Shriners. in fezzes.

this is why i'm into it. i guess i worded that pretty poorly. the girls can be attractive or not, it isn't the point. whether or not i like what i see has nothing to do with whether or not i'd go, and whether or not a girl wants to promote her sex appeal shouldn't need to be a factor in whether or not she competes. i don't go to mets games for the eye candy, and i should certainly hope the mets aren't out there 'cause they think they're good lookin'. roller derby has its own merits blah blah blah gender roles blah blah blah.

ok. now that its extra confusing, saturday the 19th.

and how cheap is this beer we're talkin' about. that's the real dealbreaker.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid

i wasn't offended. i've got the spiel down though, because everyone's always, "why do you like roller derby?" and i'm all, "dude,.....[snip]"

alas, the beer is not nearly cheap enough. something like $4 and they only carry bud and bud lite. the food is reasonable, though.
    however, no one ever checks your bag. so, bring a flask?
    I still think it'd be cool to do linked bike and derby events. I know a lot of derby gals also ride bikes. My friend Hannah, formerly Hard-Hearted Hannah, of Providence, is now quite the road and cyclocross racer. My main problem with derby bouts is the distance you need to travel in order to watch. Also, Shriners??Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

Rob Gigantic:I still think it'd be cool to do linked bike and derby events.

i know it's not what you were thinking Rob, but this happened.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    Hunter S. Chompson:i should certainly hope the mets aren't out there 'cause they think they're good lookin'.

fixed.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    ha!

ehhh, its true. but it beats goin' to a yankees game.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    • CommentAuthorgc

how many spectators do these "bouts" usually draw?gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2008

^ in excess of 1,200 every time i've gone.