Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordrchae
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008

I decided to try for a race as a new fitness goal. I've been biking a lot and have seen some great results. Now, I want to step it up and take my biking a bit more seriously.

Currently, I bike an average 10-15 miles a day and 15-25 on the weekends. This includes my commute, but I try to make it up the MMan trail as much as possible. I ride a fixed gear conversion and currently that's the only bike I have. That will change pretty soon, but I don't plan on buying a full out cyclocross bike anytime soon.

I want to do a race in about 3 months. Anyone know where I can start looking for one in the area that would be appropriate for my skill/experience?

Any sort of tips / resources on how to begin training for a race I'd greatly appreciate it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

What kind of race? (road, cross, crit, track, etc)Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthordrchae

Probably a road, criterium, or even a time trial. I'm game for anything that'll get me started.
    •  
      CommentAuthormur
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2008 edited

on Wednesday evenings go do the Charlie Baker Time Trials. you likely won't have to make any bike changes for that, but throw on a pair of brakes (if you don't already have them) just to be sure.~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    You won't be able to do a road race in three months. The season ends in August. Just do a road race now. Wells Ave is every Sunday morning, weather permitting. It's a practice crit, so you don't have to feel bad about losing or falling off the back. Also, it counts toward upgrading out of Cat 5. So I'd use that to train, rather than setting some far-away goal of doing one race later in the year.Word nerd
    'racing is the best training'
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

^^what rob said. just rent a road bike from a shop overnight. pick it up, race wells the following morning, return later in the day.

or go up to the track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

the latest road race you could shoot for is the jamestown classic in jamestown, RI. its around October 3, I beleive. usually has a very large turnout, and for a lot of people it is their first race.

when i started racing, i pretty much jumped right in. i think i did my first road race a month after getting my first road bike. my ass got dropped every race i did. for mountain bikes, i started racing a year before i even had my own bike! you would definitely be surprised.
    •  
      CommentAuthordrchae

hey guys -- thanks for the info. I think I'll definitely check Wells out and sign up for the Jamestown classic.

I'll let you guys know how things go.
    Listen to me, 'cause I used to be really fucking fast.

Be late to everything.
    Ride a tiny gear.
    Find excuses to rush across town.

-robot[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008

when's cross season start? i may actually have the time this year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2008 edited

^^hey! i'm late to everything!

and work for me is either across town or wayyy the fuck outside of town.

two out of three...but i hate spinning!
    Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    I TRYED UNCLE ANDROSS'S WORKOUT. IT DIDNT HELP AT ALL, ALL IT DID WAS MAKE MY MUSTACHE GROW LOL
    then it worked!Much like the earth's mantle, that sort of thing is beneath us.
    wonder how many jersey orange dudes get their swole on to this.