Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthortainted
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008

Trying to take the bus from boston to new york. (not the fung wah). probably greyhound or peterpan. but i wanted to know if anyone has taken a bike on the bus wihtout having to box it up or pay extra? Chris Evil & the Taints
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

From what I gather, you basically just throw it down there.

And isn't the peter pan or greyhound like twice as much money as fung wah or lucky star?The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthortainted

i think i paid like $30 round trip for peter pan. I;ve taken the fung wah a few times but it was quite sketchy. Chris Evil & the Taints
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

peter pan & greyhound require you to box it, as far as i know.

which is why i always take fung wah.

i've also had way too many sketchy experiences on greyhound.
    •  
      CommentAuthortainted

yea, maybe ill just suck it up and take the fung wah again. save a few bucks and the hassle of boxing up my bike. Chris Evil & the Taints
    • CommentAuthorcindierock
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2008 edited

last time i took a bus (megabus) to visit someone in NJ i saw some girl with a bike in line for the greyhound. she didn't have it boxed or anything. i think my boyfriend has put his bike under the fung wah before, also, and it turned out fine.

as a side note: the prices for all those buses have gone insane since this $1 ticket craze has hit. i have seen prices from $6 to $77 for a one way bus ticket from boston to nyc. i have been trying to find a greyhound ticket for $15 but have had no luck.... their website sucks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i just went to take a look, they used to have a button in the front page that said, "fares as low as $15 to NYC". now it says "...as low as $18".

it appears prices have gone up.

anyway, the box that says it is on the front page under where you put in your trip info. you have to do it at least two hours before your trip for the online stuff, but the ticket is valid all day. so, say you want to take a 4pm bus and it's already 3pm, just buy a ticket for 6pm or something and then go take the 4pm bus anyway.

i live in south jersey and take buses in boston->nyc->philly to get home, and hence am somewhat of a bus aficiando.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOhHeather

i take peter pan all the time. i've brought my bike on for 2 different round trips. the first one, i took it all apart and stuffed it into my brother's hockey bag with blankets for padding. i didn't have time to find a box or a legit travel bag. it was a major pain in the ass. then i found out that you CAN just throw your bike under the bus, but its not always guaranteed that the driver will allow it. if it's a full bus (as the ones to new york often are), then there's a chance you'll be turned away. i saw 3 kids with bikes trying to go to new york get turned down. luckily, when i brought mine unboxed (hartford to boston), the bus wasn't crowded and the driver was really cool and put my bike in a separate compartment from everyone else's stuff so it wouldn't get crushed.

my advice would be if you're not going to box the bike, take a bus at a time that shouldn't be busy (i went on a tuesday morning at 8), and be prepared to wait for a bus that isn't busy and/or a driver that isn't a douchebag (a lot of them are). also, at south station i saw someone get charged $5 to take his bike on. i didn't get charged, but i guess there is a chance.
    What's the best way to secure it underneath? U-lock it to the middle bracket in the luggage compartment?
    I took the (Greyhound) Bolt Bus to NYC a couple weekends ago with my bike ($18.50 one way). It was an 11AM Friday bus, was almost full, but i showed up early and the luggage dude was cool, said i might have to take my front wheel off but i ended up not having to. He put it on the other side of the bus in a different compartment and promised to "pack it tight so it doesn't move around." He didn't though and i heard what sounded like my bike bouncing under there a couple times (*wince*) but it was totally fine in the end.

The only problem was i didn't see my bike when the driver unloaded in NYC, so i had to get back on the bus and argue- "You still have my bike under there," "If it's not on the curb I don't have it," "No, it's on the other side in a different compartment," "There is no other compartment," "Well I watched your dude take it around there so can we please look," ... "Oh, that shouldn't have been there nobody is supposed to put anything there." Bah. But it worked out in the end. Plus Bolt Bus goes right to Penn Station and i had to pick up the NJ Transit from there anyway.

Of course the bus was >2h late so i had to dick around in Penn Station for another 2h because you can't take a bike on the NJ Transit rail during rush hour.

That was really long, sorry.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

greezychicken:What's the best way to secure it underneath? U-lock it to the middle bracket in the luggage compartment?

Just leave the motherfucker down there. It'll be fine. Don't be a pussy.dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Just don't throw your fancy-pants Look 555 in the bus compartment, and you'll be fine.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    • CommentAuthorAnjin

I say take Fung Wah if you are going to bring your bike unboxed. It sucks to risk it with Greyhound. I rode recently with a Greyhound equivalent and they made me box up the bike; luckily they had a huge bike box, sitting around in the station, that I could use.

Total crap that bikes need to be boxed on the BUS. It's a BUS RIDE. Big deal. They should really have bike racks on long-distance buses. At least a couple.

Oh yeah, if you end up boxing your bike and riding Greyhound, make sure to donate it to the bus station for other cyclists to use in an emergency. That's probably why that bike box happened to be there for me when I needed it in a pinch.
    Fung Wah / Lucky Star. Use the sketchiness to your advantage. Lock to the strut to keep your bike upright and in position. The end.Word nerd
    • CommentAuthormindchalk

+some guy got beheaded and gutted on a greyhound in manitoba.

i'll risk a busfire.out of true.
    ^Also, I recommend chainmail for all bus travel.Word nerd
    • CommentAuthor_

Lucky Star > Greyhound
    (With or without a bike.)

The only time I've taken Lucky Star with my bike from South Station, one of the employees asked me all these questions about it and where I could get one like it and then they let me cut the line so I could put it beneath the bus.

The last time I took Greyhound, the ticket guy took my return ticket (they had just been printed out together). When I explained this to a customer service person in New York, she said: "Well, how was he supposed to know?" After a short exchange of loud insults, I took Amtrak.
    •  
      CommentAuthorg0balistik

i have taken the fung wah dozens of times with no problems and I always take a bike. only thing that sucks about the bus is traffic and it doesnt matter what bus you are riding in for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

buckley!:Just don't throw your fancy-pants Look 555 in the bus compartment, and you'll be fine.

psh 555s are junk...
    •  
      CommentAuthorOhHeather
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2008

mindchalk:+some guy got beheaded and gutted on a greyhound in manitoba.

holy crap i looked that up. reading that story during a thunderstorm is not something i plan on doing before bed again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlazerwolf
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2013

So, now that Fung Wah is shut down, what's the best option? Bolt lets you bring a bike, but no additional luggage. Lucky Star?
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

Just get to your line early with your bike, talk to the driver and ask them to open the cargo hold for it. The only time I know that people have been denied is when they show up late and there's no room for the bicycle due to other luggage. I've never heard of anyone paying add'l charges for a bike on a bus, and if you do, you're doing it wrong methinks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoz

You can use Bolt bus, but their tickets usually sell out so get them the night before if you can
    MEGA BUS DOES NOT LET YOU TAKE YOUR BIKE ON THE BUSroz-berry-lime
    lazerwolf:So, now that Fung Wah is shut down, what's the best option? Bolt lets you bring a bike, but no additional luggage. Lucky Star?
    ive never had an issue with additional luggage..somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I prefer Lucky Star to Fung Wah anyway. Use Lucky Star.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    nerdo:I prefer Lucky Star to Fung Wah anyway. Use Lucky Star.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoz

LUCKY STAR is good. I use to go on that bus once a month and would show up and buy my ticket that day there. Buy them in advance if its a holiday weekendroz-berry-lime
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I love Lucky Star, and have probably taken it a hundred times. I've always preferred it to Fung Wah because it was always less crowded. Though I guess it won't be less crowded now.

Megabus is my favorite, but as Roz says, there's no way to take a bike. The luggage compartment is weird and at the back of the double decker -- the dimensions are probably too small/awkward to fit bikes in there anyway.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Roz:You can use Bolt bus, but their tickets usually sell out so get them the night before if you can
    MEGA BUS DOES NOT LET YOU TAKE YOUR BIKE ON THE BUS

Oh man fuck these guys.

But yeah, lucky star is the bomb. Sweet chinese ladies help you with putting the bike under the bus and everything.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorlazerwolf
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2013

Lucky Star it is! I never could resist sweet Chinese ladies!
    Unrelated to BOS->NYC but I once took Peterpan from Providence to NYC. There was a fee, I believe, but they take unboxed bikes, space permitting. If you think it'll be a busy time (ie Friday afternoon) I'd recommend biking up to the stop where the bus originates...a few miles north of downtown Providence. I had to squeeze it into this space above this pneumatic folding wheelchair ramp the bus had. I remember wishing I had a pedal wrench...it was a pretty narrow space to slide the bike in on its side. Had to take the front wheel off and turn the handlebars.

And yeah, Lucky Star is sweet. I like that they have a 2:30am departure from Boston...sometimes that is really advantageous.I thought that might be you! But there was no shimmy-shake so I couldn't be sure.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013

Well, no more fung wah. Also, Lucky Star just raised their prices to 25 each way.

A picture book example of the laws of supply and demand at work in the real world. Took what, a week? Damn.unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013

Greyhound and Peter Pan are launching "Yo!" Which will cost 15-25, have outlets, leather seats and wifi. Greyhound has traditionally been bad about bikes, so well see how it goes.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2013 edited

Greyhound/Peter Pan already runs Bolt, with $15-25 prices, outlets, leather seats, and wifi. So what the hell is "Yo!"? Bolt with embarrassing hip-hop theming?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    bolt is a fair bit more expensive nowsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013 edited

aren't lucky star and fung wah owned by the same company?gone
    Argh I guess I should buy my bolt bus tickets now for next week seeing as $19 each way is the lowest price I have found.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013

banana truffles:Argh I guess I should buy my bolt bus tickets now for next week seeing as $19 each way is the lowest price I have found.

It's even more expensive on the weekends (when I go to NYC usually), cheapest is 35-40. I long for the good ol' days when bolt bus was supah cheep. Fucking inflation.unstuck in time
    THANKS OBAMAYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013 edited

So this Yo that just started up..anyone have any info on bringing a bike? I've scoured their site and can't find anything. I'm proctoring a test right now so I can't call.
    Also, "Yo" is not a "hip-hop" reference, but it comes from the chinese symbol meaning "to protect" (says their website)

But it's $20 one way, which is still the cheapest option. Lucky Star is up to $25 on non-weekend days

UPDATE : Yo, the new bus company, charges for bike storage. The man on the phone couldn't tell me the "pricing info", but I told him that if there's a charge, that's all I need to know. Lucky Star it is!
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013

Just FYI, Lucky Star is a shit show now (even more than before) during peak hours, they wouldn't let me on because there wasn't room for my bike. Had to wait through two buses.unstuck in time
    relevant/irrelevant (especially to tristan and ella): just bought a roundtrip bus ticket to burlington, vt for 8 buxxx. i can't wait for megabus to fuck it up somehow.
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.

I hope you aren't planning to take your bike on Megabus.unstuck in time
    • CommentAuthorgc

the $17 greyhound online fare to burlington is great for last minute trips especially if you take the bus that leaves boston at midnight and gets in at 4:00somethinggone
    west.:I hope you aren't planning to take your bike on Megabus.

nope, that's why it was at least half irrelevant. i can always go borrow steve jr jr jr from old spokes.
    clockwork ted:relevant/irrelevant (especially to tristan and ella): just bought a roundtrip bus ticket to burlington, vt for 8 buxxx. i can't wait for megabus to fuck it up somehow.

HOLEE SHIT RELEVANT TO ME INTERESTSYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthortristan

what the fuck?! $8?! It used to cost $60 each way when we were in school.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorwest.
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013

Yep, just saw that earlier. kindareallysucks

What's left as far as bus/bike transport options now that Lucky Star has followed Fung Wah into the abyss? YO doesn't take bikes, neither does Mega.... so, Bolt? But damn if they aren't pricey.unstuck in time
    bolt. sadly they've jacked up their prices.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.