Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

This thread is meant to contain all things 'cross.

New Video.

I did some training today at the Mill St reservation in Belmont. If you want to ride the trails, let me know and I'll show you the loops.
    does this mean everyone i normally ride and race with is about to abandon road and track in the next week or so to gear up for cross?
    also nick, i've been told there's a video of you slowly falling down a hill in a cross race followed by your wife screaming at you to get up. is this that video?
    Yes, once cross season starts (mid September), I won't even have a set of road wheels.

No, me doing backwards somersaults is on you tube somewhere. One sec.
    • CommentAuthorboundgear
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2008

I'd ride trails with other people. Till I get another bike, gunna do that fixed though if it's ok with other riders.

when this week? And can other people ride during the day? I can.

gunna change my tires tomorrow.
    chuck_norris: Found it.

FUCK YEAH, thats my hometown !!!its like watching a monkey swallow a hand grenade.
    ^My favorite part of the video is Nick's shit-eating grin after recovering from the fall. You can tell he loves the hell out of that sport.Word nerd
    I had ridden that wall for the 6 laps prior and was making up ground on every lap there. loosing traction on the rear was just a result of fatigue. I love cross courses that change as you get tired. The run-up/ ride-up decision is the best.

I'm going to be riding trails this evening at about 6. Let me know it you'd like to join.
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008

^ dude, as soon as i get my cross bike set up, i'm going to join you so you can smoke me.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

i'm still waiting on cannondale to release the cx5 so i can buy it (likely late august), but i would most certainly be down for cross riding. i want to try to get out to a bunch of races this season.
    •  
      CommentAuthortylersage

those trails in Belmont are great. i rode out there all last season. watch out nick, i will be out there soon enough.
    Yeah, I learned of those trails through you and Nixie.

Don't worry, Tyler. I'll keep an eye out so I don't run your ass over. Trash talk begineth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2008 edited

I wanna race cross this season but im not sure if my cross bike in time.Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    I'm in. . . Singlespeed style!
    I figure with all of the bike marshaling I've had to do over the last 3 24 hour races, I'm well prepared.
    -robot
    PS,
    How are the categories done out here?[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthormur
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008 edited

i'm considering running a single chainring setup. i've seen this done in two different fashions:

(1) chainring guard on inner spider mount, chainring on outer spider mount, and another chainring guard outside of outer spider mount, secured by extra long chainring bolts to accommodate the second guard outside of the chainring.

(2) chainring on inner spider mount, chainring guard on outer spider mount, chain drop blocker mounted on seat tube.

for people who have experience with either (or both) of these, do you have a preference for either setup, and where have the primary stumbling blocks been?

right now, i'm leaning towards option 2 for two reasons: (a) i anticipate spending most of the time in the larger sprockets, so the inner spider leads to a straighter chainline; and (b) slightly cheaper (doesn't require two chainring guards or extra hardware for mounting everything to the spider).

(and if anyone has extra Rival levers/derailleurs lying around, i'm interested in picking up another set.)~(..,)~ (oYo) make whoopee not war (oYo) ~(..,)~
    ^^ Everyone starts as a cat 4. It's the beginner category. Upgrade points move you into the 3's and so on.

A lot of races have a cat 4 mens race first then a cat 3/4 men's. Last season I raced the 4 then the 3/4 a few times. The 3/4's always have some 3/4 sandbaggers that lap a bunch of riders. I'm still a 4. Cross racing in New England is by far the most competitive corner of the country.
    ^Well, if I get into it, I won't be a 4 for long.[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008

It may be mega competitive here, but we've got nothing on the northwest when it comes to turnout for the races.

I need to go to singlespeed worlds.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    ^I didn't want to have to shoot my mouth off about that, but yeah, it is big out there.[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

It's huge out there, and that is coming from a wicked new englander. It might be more competitive out here though, and it's less muddy here.

but both coasts have lots of drinking to go along with it, and, well, that's good.
    When my teammates raced in portland they did really well --- better than they did in N.E. That's all I'm basing my statements on.

The scenes are very different from what I've gathered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2008 edited

^Well, to be fair, ya'll have been at it longer, and I think N.E. produces allot of fast riders. (Take what I write lightly, as I'm just a know-it-all.)
    -bot

How are the fields scored? Is it like mtn. biking where single speed riders are scored separately? I suppose not. . .[all your base are belong to us]
    I don't know of any races with separated categories for the SS'ers. Although, I've been smoked by a couple in a open cat 4 race.

One of the biggest differences between the coasts with regard to cross, is that in New England we take it very serious. It's a bit of an extension of the road season. Probably 50% of the regular road racers pick up a cross bike in the Fall. You don't see much face painting, costumes or shinanigans out here. To me, it's a bit of a shame that we can't adopt the laid back approach to cross that you see out west, but I think it explains why you don't seen many SS'ers.
    ^Well, it's time to pull the collective stick out, ya dig?
    -r0b0+[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

just got my new cross fork, stoked!what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008

^^ hey robot, what's your ratio on your cross bike? it seemed to work out pretty well for you at sludgement day.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeAug 14th 2008 edited

Hmm. . . As I recall, it was my trusty 63" gear. I don't know what I'll run because some races include pavement, and fast terrain. Obviously, I like a tiny gear, but keep in mind that stuff you'd use an ultra low gear on can be traversed just as quickly on foot. This is going to be fun, you (and anyone else) should join me for practice in Arhnold Arboretum.
    -robot[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

yeah, i'd love to practice with you. tim and i were talking about starting training once we get our bikes ready to go, which will hopefully be by the end of august. as it stands now, what i'm trying to do is convert my commuter into an ss cross bike, but i have to figure out a way to swap out drops and brakes for risers, a basket, and brakes when i want to commute. my gut is telling me that i should just try to convert another old steel road frame, but the last thing i need right now is another bike in my apartment...what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    ^It be good to have some guidance on technique 'cause I suck at it.[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

^ haha, you suck at it? i seem to recall you doing pretty well at sludgement day. i don't think i should be providing anyone with guidance.

i'm really at a loss for what i should pick for a gear ratio. from the few things i've read about ss cross, 2:1 seems like a good place to start.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    • CommentAuthorgc

any one got any suggestions/recommendations for cross tires?

looks like i may too be jumpin on this wagon.gone
    ^Go tubular, so I can sell some rims! (Supposedly tubular cross tires are better, but who cares.)[all your base are belong to us]
    • CommentAuthorgone

chuck_norris:I don't know of any races with separated categories for the SS'ers. Although, I've been smoked by a couple in a open cat 4 race.

One of the biggest differences between the coasts with regard to cross, is that in New England we take it very serious. It's a bit of an extension of the road season. Probably 50% of the regular road racers pick up a cross bike in the Fall. You don't see much face painting, costumes or shinanigans out here. To me, it's a bit of a shame that we can't adopt the laid back approach to cross that you see out west, but I think it explains why you don't seen many SS'ers.

This sort of thing breaks my heart.

Seriously, I cannot wait for another season of racing my trusty single-speed Zisek for Not-Last.
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

^ haha, you and me both. anything but last.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    • CommentAuthorboundgear

If I'm there, you are guaranteed not to be last.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

The cross crusade series of portland is the stuff of legend.
    A weeknight race with a turnout that makes a race like northampton look like a joke.e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008

grahambear:any one got any suggestions/recommendations for cross tires?

looks like i may too be jumpin on this wagon.

i second this. i have NO idea about cross tires.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    mrotown:The cross crusade series of portland is the stuff of legend.
    A weeknight race with a turnout that makes a race like northampton look like a joke.

Shit, I should move back home. . . But I like having a job :-p

Anyway, is there a regulation height for the barriers? (I'm going to make some.)
    -robot[all your base are belong to us]
    I like ritchey speedmax for dry flat fast conditions. Michelin Mud2's have a loyal following. I have only ridden them once, and they're really grippy and light. I'm trying the evo cross tubulars this year, because they're cheaper than dugasts (top of the line tubulars) and challenge tubulars.

There is a regulation height for barriers, but outside of the big races like gloucester, they vary wildly. I would say you're good with 16 inches. That's the most common.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

robotbuilder:
    Anyway, is there a regulation height for the barriers? (I'm going to make some.)
    -robot

I've seen some pretty nice training barriers made out of pvc piping components- if you don't glue the components together, then they just come apart if you hit the barrier, and they're easy to transport.

I think they had a peice of pvc cut off at an angle to use as a stake, an angle join, then a couple of short pieces connected with straight joints for the top bar. You could do it with a t-bottom instead of a stake as well.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

so, should i run one chainring or two? if i run two, what size chainrings? i have talked to mr. dunn a bit and he says run two "cause the pro's do it." i do not expect to be competitive, but i have a few ultegra front derailleurs sitting around and a set of sti shifters and i may as well muck up some dura ace 9 speed stuff that's collecting dust. also should i worry more about deeper section rims or weight, like 1/2 a pound of weight?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

so what races do people plan on doing this September? should probably start planning days off now. of all the races, which ones should be highest priority?
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

pete! gigantic:so, should i run one chainring or two? if i run two, what size chainrings? i have talked to mr. dunn a bit and he says run two "cause the pro's do it." i do not expect to be competitive, but i have a few ultegra front derailleurs sitting around and a set of sti shifters and i may as well muck up some dura ace 9 speed stuff that's collecting dust. also should i worry more about deeper section rims or weight, like 1/2 a pound of weight?

46/38 is pro
    good luck turning that overe-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

i have a da crankset with a 130 bcd so 38 is the smallest i can run. looks like my legs may hurt, though i have never been really into spinning.
    ^^SUCKERBROOK! The green mountain cross weekend is UCI so that will be big. Bedford springs is a good race becasue it's close (you can ride the minuteman trail all the way there), and amesbury is on a technical course that lends itself to guys with MTB skills such as you, greg. Molly Stark will be at the velodrome in NH. I've heard rumors of insanely fast barriers, so watch out!

^I ride 48 / 38 and I rarely get in the big ring. But it's great to have that 48 for the sprints at the end of races.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008 edited

^i don't sprint, i climb hills with ease.
    I'm riding Rock Meadow in the morning. I will be at the shop (CB) at 9am for a prompt departure. Let me know if you're down for 2 hours of good, fast, cross riding.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2008 edited

tax free weekend... working working working. plus i am waiting on a ck headset, but i have a 1" threadless somewhere that will get the bike "ridable." i may only have one ring up front for a bit though.

[edit] bike should be ridable sunday evening though!