Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorhannaelise
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008

Who on here reads comics?

I'm reading Ex Machina right now but I want to move to Walking Dead next.
    Has anyone read it or does anyone have it so I can borrow it?
    i'm only just wanting to read them. i read maus i and ii, and they were wonderful.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthor.
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2008 edited

hannaelise:Who on here reads comics?

I've read up to book 5 in the walking dead book series. I love it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCasper

I really miss reading comics. I have too many hobbies. I inherited tons of Harvey/Archie comics growing up and then I was big into Spider-man and then in college I got into Crossgen stuff and all the Ultimate Marvel series that was coming out. So my comic horizons aren't/weren't very broad, but I love checking out new stuff. So if you say something is kick ass, I will be very tempted to check it out.I cut it three times and it's still too short!

Read "Y:The Last Man"
    It's one of my absolute favorites.
    Sandman is good too if you can stomach what I consider shitty artwork.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

i weep for america if this is what we've come to. that crap is what they were reading about 8 minutes before the fall of rome. jus' sayin'. . .

that was mean. i'm sorry.

To each their own.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCasper

That "Y:The Last Man" series sounds interesting. I read the beginning of the plot summary. It seems like a serious plot but this made me laugh. "Vaughan [the writer] meticulously crafts the new society that emerges out of this chaos, from the conversion of the phallic Washington Monument into a monument to the dead men..."

I wish I had a friend that spent his money on comics so I could read his. Unless you get subscriptions, it can be expensive.I cut it three times and it's still too short!
    •  
      CommentAuthorkollins

anyone wanna trade some paperbacks???

I have all the Y last man
    ronin
    V for Vendeta
    Preacher
    and lots of other terrible shit.

Looking for watchmen if anyone has it?

When my friend gives me my copy of Watchmen back you can borrow it. I can pester him about it sometime soon.

What did you think of the end of Y?
    brunop:i weep for america if this is what we've come to. that crap is what they were reading about 8 minutes before the fall of rome. jus' sayin'. . .

just to really validate what you're saying here, every time i buy another volume of DMZ, i make sure i burn a copy of the great gatsby.

i read comics because i hate watching TV, you goofball!

if anyone here is a fan of The Lost Boys, they're doing a four issue run of "Reign of Frogs" right now that's based entirely on corey feldman's character after the movie takes place. really shitty jokes, decent artwork, lotsa over the top action sequences and a decent layout. i love it.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.

I just bought a couple issues of DMZ and I'm pretty excited about starting them.

The bar tender at the Charleston (Travis) told me that I need to read this comic written by the dude in My Chemical Romance called "Umbrella Academy". He said the artwork rules and the story is really dark and fucked up. Have you heard anything about it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

Hunter S. Chompson:
    brunop:i weep for america if this is what we've come to. that crap is what they were reading about 8 minutes before the fall of rome. jus' sayin'. . .

just to really validate what you're saying here, every time i buy another volume of DMZ, i make sure i burn a copy of the great gatsby.

i read comics because i hate watching TV, you goofball!

ya got me!!

; )
    •  
      CommentAuthorkollins

The ending of Y was awesome!
    It was an overall very good storyline, great considering most of whats been put out the last decade has been pretty bad.

If youve never read frank millers ronin you should. Its also got amazing 90's artwork.
    Preacher is a little over the top but still very enjoyable.

what are some other good ones???
    find XXXombies.

just...

just do that.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

hannaelise:Who on here reads comics?

Walking dead rules i have number 1 if you wanna read it, i've read all the way to 8 and im waiting for 9 to come out. I also read scott pilgram <--- AWESOME i have all of those so far and now im waiting for 5 to come out. Also i just got into 100 bulletsEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981

Yes yes. I would love to borrow that sometime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

well its packed right now so i could probably give it to you next week sometime. Just be ready for cliff hanger after cliff hanger, i have a love hate relationship with itEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981

Whenever works for you. All my comics are currently in new york with a friend so I can trade you something fun at some point in the future. I suggest Ex Machina, I have the first 4 books of that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

I haven't read that yet.. I think i only have 1,5, and 8 i borrowed all the other books but a least you can decided if you like it or not Kirkman is a really good writer. I'd recommend 100 bullets also its basically a character study about what different people would do with 100 untraceable bulletsEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    • CommentAuthorCole
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2008

Jimmy Corrigan
    ^that's on my list.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorWall Bird

I've read the first four Walking Dead and they definitely get better as they progress. ...I should actually consider picking up all of the new ones, now that I think of it.

Of course, there's Watchmen, which is pretty damn good. Read it at least twice, since it is pretty dense.
    • CommentAuthorjohnderson

Walking Dead is the shit. The newest one is sooo brutal.
    DMZ is cool but I haven't kept up reading them.
    100 Bullets is nutty. It starts very slow but gets awesome.
    Watchmen is a must read. I'm anxious to see how they convert it into a movie.
    Wanted was cool too. They butchered it when it was made into a movie though.
    • CommentAuthorPugatch
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008

I read all the sandman and loved em. I didnt care for the sin city comics yet i liked the movie. watchman was awesome and so was v for vendetta. i like dork tower as well. i just dont know what to read next.Think of bicycles as rideable art that can just about save the world
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2008

Read Akira next. It's six super long books but it's totally worth it.
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2008

DMZ is the shit. I really like all of Brian Wood's work that I've read.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008

I liked brian wood's first book, but i can't get into DMZ- it's a little too skate-fashion-designerish.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorCasper
    • CommentTimeSep 3rd 2008 edited

Would anyone let me borrow any of these series? I could rent them maybe or leave a deposit. I don't think I have anything you'd want to trade for, judging by everything listed so far. Which all sounds really sweet by the way.I cut it three times and it's still too short!
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000

superman: red sonwhat does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    • CommentAuthorseamus

I'm really diggin DMZ. It's pretty poignant for the times, despite some of it's a too-hip-grungy artwork. I'm kind of forcing myself to not buy more than one issue at a time, as I feel that might lead to bankruptcy.
    no way, i loooooove the artwork.

one of the first friends i made in nyc is the letterer for DMZ. i never got into it until this summer though, and its really great.

the design is super slick, but it takes its cues from a lot of really amazing artists from outside of the comic world. i see it as a deliberate choice that matches the tone of the story perfectly.flip mode. flip mode is the greatest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

@hannaelise: Im all unpacked or at least my comics are if you still wanna read the 1st walking deadEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    ^ yesyesyes. where do you live? I need to get all my comics back from various people and then I can give you some fun stuff to read.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCasper
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2008

Would someone let me borrow Walking Dead or Y: The Last Man? I could leave a $10 deposit with you or something and buy you a beer.I cut it three times and it's still too short!
    I'll get my copies of Y back soon. You can certainly borrow them when that happens!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch

i live near brookline village i can meet up anywhere though before 3 on weekdays any time on weekends let me know where when and we can make the trade. I have to get some more 100 bullets also im waiting for it to come in to new england comicsEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    • CommentAuthorseamus

Hunter S. Chompson:no way, i loooooove the artwork.

Yeah, upon re-reading I rescind my comment about the artwork. It fits, the way 16mm fits in Generation Kill.
    i just read david boring. it was good.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2008 edited

^ you read eight ball? or black hole?Everybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    nope. are they daniel clowes?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDan Roch
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2008

Charles Burns did black hole eightball is daniel clowesEverybody was saying we must have more leisure. Now they are complaning they are unemployed - Prince Philip during the recession in 1981
    • CommentAuthorrigby
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008

Wall Bird:Of course, there's Watchmen, which is pretty damn good. Read it at least twice, since it is pretty dense.

WATCHMEN! i just finished it for the first time, moving on to the second read when SOMEBODY gets my copy back to me. (ahem)

i also just bought both volumes of MAUS. has anyone read it? thoughts?
    • CommentAuthorGrim Ryan
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2008

You can also find a lot of comics on torrent sites, which is nice for seeing if you enjoy an series enough to buy.Duffman Can't Breathe
    ^^maus = good.

has anyone read ("read") korgi?You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    I've been on an indie kick the past couple of months -- Queen & Country, Scud the Disposable Assassin, The MiddleMan, Zot!, and Incognegro. Umbrella Academy was decent, and I've got that "MySpace Dark Horse Presents" in the queue, but, it's collectin' dust right now. Oh, and De:Tales by Gabrial and Fabian. Marinate.Do You KNOW Clarence?
    I heard from my friend Travis that Umbrella Academy was amazing. I haven't heard much else about it besides what he told me though.
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008

^^ Queen and Country is pretty awesome, The Nightly News is really good, and so is Desolation Jones.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    bluedog:^^ Queen and Country is pretty awesome, The Nightly News is really good, and so is Desolation Jones.

Nightly News is the business. I'm a big fan of all of Jonathan's work and we've become solid acquaintances over time. Get down with the branding splash page on my site that he did for my birthday last year (it's in my signature).

You may want to get down with some of his other stuff too (he's got about 3-4 books out right now that are doing well). Pax Romana is one of them.Do You KNOW Clarence?
    • CommentAuthorGrim Ryan
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2008

just started wormwood: gentleman corpse.Duffman Can't Breathe