Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2010

i does all. but mostly digital. film is too expensive/time consuming these days.RIDE METAL
    Great pics Eric!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2010

VectoredZev:Ugh... I want your lens eric. So badly. and by lens. I really mean all of them. And of course, the cameras too. I need to start taking pictures again.

Do you scan most your negs, or actually print then scan.

arrows and indians, bro.

ebaumann's got a eye, no doubt. develop yer own. it ain't the lenses. it's what ya frame in that li'l rectangle. where ya stand and when ya snap. stand in the right place and release that shutter.
    • CommentAuthorowen

^very wise words, but also eric does have a really cool diffuser thing that helps him achieve a specific look.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

brunop:
    VectoredZev:Ugh... I want your lens eric. So badly. and by lens. I really mean all of them. And of course, the cameras too. I need to start taking pictures again.

Do you scan most your negs, or actually print then scan.

arrows and indians, bro.

ebaumann's got a eye, no doubt. develop yer own. it ain't the lenses. it's what ya frame in that li'l rectangle. where ya stand and when ya snap. stand in the right place and release that shutter.

good analogy nop, you know whats up.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2010

I mean. I know whats up. I take pictures too. At least, I try. And I've taken some decent ones. Of course I'm still learning. But two people take the same pic, the one with the better gear has the better pic. I'm not saying his pictures are the product of his lenses, obviously its still ALL him. And I'm impressed.

Anyway. I took 2 rolls of B&W 120 this week (eric, i bought the C22 mamiya.) And I'll be developing and scanning them tonight. Hopefully I'll have something decent to post. ((damn I need a light meter))EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

I bought my camera... I took two rolls. I have to learn how to put it in correctly apparently. I'm losing 2 shots minimum per roll.
    But here are some of the results of my playing this weekend.

Link to Flickr, there are a few more. Featuring people from Sunday's brunch.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

definite light leak in that top one, probably from development.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

top left? yeah, now that you mention it i see it. I was playing with dodge and burn on that photo tho. Cause I wanted to see the CAT digger more. But you're right. I hope it's just from development though. I used the labs here at school. It's been a while.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

don't play. don't crop. look at cartier-bresson's joints.

in all seriousness. try to shoot straight up. no crop. no aftermarket messin' see what ya come up with.

(hahaha. i'm just makin' a virtue o' necessity as my computer has no stuff to fix stuff).
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

I didnt really do much to the rest of the photos. Just brought up the blacks. Stuff I might do if I were to print them. But yeah. Cropping them was silly. i wanna see your photos 'nop! Where are they!?EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

yea cropping isnt so cool, but sometimes you see an image in a format that your camera cant capture--a 1x1 shot with a 2x3 camera, etc etc. I think if you have a vision for an image at the time of the capture but only have a certain tool at your disposal it is better to shoot and crop than to not shoot. however, no matter what, never EVER leave the "ratios" of photography/film (2:3, 4:5, 1:1, 6:7, 16:9 on occasion).

also, funny thing about HCB, arguably his most famous image--Behind the Gare St. Lazare, guy jumping over puddle with reflection--was a cropped image. not to mention he never developed or printed any of his images, he was strictly a shooter, and a damn good one at that. im not raggin on him, he is my personal favorite of favorites, i just think there is a time and a place for cropping--in camera, at the time of capture, whether its in your mind or in the viewfinder.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010

^hahaha! yeah. i cop to croppi'n a bit. but i'm no HCB fo' sho'!!!!
    Wherzat picture of me pouring the bacon grease off? Don't leave me hangin' Sparky!i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorSparky
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2010

Sooooon, need to finish off the roll. Will be donig that today, should be developed and scanned by tomorrowGet a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2010

VectoredZev: But two people take the same pic, the one with the better gear has the better pic. I'm not saying his pictures are the product of his lenses, obviously its still ALL him. And I'm impressed.

using the right camera settings/controls are way more important.
    the eye bit is important too.
    i'm not good at taking pictures, but i'm also learning(slowly).gone
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

a camera is only as good as the person using it. it can be a technically excellent photo of a terrifically boring subject. no matter how good or bad your camera is, it doesnt matter, content is everything.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorZevsInSF

I'm not disagreeing with any of you. I concur that content is everything. Almost everything I took this weekend is just a snapshot. but I dont think you're getting what I'm saying.. either way. it's not important.

I need more film... Hello B&H.EPIC! Stratton: ^fwiw he did in fact have a map out.... ...while riding.... ...with no hands.... ..on fire*...
    •  
      CommentAuthorZomar

Etch-A-Sketch art is way cooler than photographs, maybe ya'll should start doing that instead:

•  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010

northern presidential range
    ^nop, I wanna ride with you sometime man. For reals. I'll even provide some of the beer.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2010

^ seconded
    ^^ nice shot! those are some amazing mountains, where was that?RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010

^jefferson meadows, nh. thems the northern presidentials. me and my lady was up there skiin' and drinkin' and snowshoein' over the 3 day weekend. goodtimes!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2010 edited

why i mountain bike:
    canyonTroglodytarum is latin for troll
    From when it was like 35 degrees out and Cedar was all "it's warm, let's hit the docks" and we drank booze and ate corn nuts until our fingers froze.

Snow/Doxx 1/23/10i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

^^ awesome, great colors.
    ^ love corn nuts.RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthorgc

howl, did you take that picture?
    where is that?
    rad.gone
    ^^^ yay! good times!
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2010

grahambear:howl, did you take that picture?
    where is that?
    rad.

took it the last time i was at my folks' farm.
    approximately here, looking towards the other side of the canyon.
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3485526Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

Prudential
    the pru yesterday, tricky shooting into the sun.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

diggin the minis :)Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthornonprophet
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2010

^I still wish I had bought a raleigh rush hour pro with the traditional red paint job. Dunno why but I liked it.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    EPIC! Stratton:

I miss this. Can we do this again soon folks.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrobotbuilder
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited

nonprophet:

Awesome that you got into the dry-dock. . . I used to work next to that place, and hopped over the fence one night, was quickly intercepted by a Coast Guard cop, and told I was committing a federal crime. The thing I most hate about the "terrorists" is how hard it is to explore cool infrastructure now. Blah, blah, blah [/old man rant]

[:|][all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorcrumbles
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010 edited

edit: I'm bad at putting photos up. I'll fix this later.
    eBAUMANN:Prudential
    the pru yesterday, tricky shooting into the sun.

Holy wow please tell me your lens setup for this, the depth of field is spectacular.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2010

^ 80mm Hartblei Super-Rotator Tilt-Shift, its a fun[tricky] lens to use, to say the least.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

that picture is my new background, eric. be proud hahasomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

^ sweet! i am quite proud. whats your screen resolution? ill send you a properly proportioned one.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile

niceee...'tis 1280 x 800somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    so THAT's what tilt-shifts are for...huh.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

well, thats not really what they are FOR, they have a variety of uses, the most practical being for parallax correction in real estate and product photography.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2010

check out what lance armstrong drinks:
    lance armstrong
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

stata center

over shot i know, but still. dude was on drugs when he drew up these buildings.
    • CommentAuthorChromeLugs

He's amazing, over-shot or not.I prefer 49x16
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

^yeah, man! where's dat? he's like dr. seuss.
    • CommentAuthorChromeLugs

It's in Prague. The architect is Frank Gehry. He also built the Gugenheim in Bilbao and some other crazy shit. Total Dr Seuss.I prefer 49x16
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2010 edited

He designed the stata center for MIT. I hear from people who are forced to work in it that it's a leaky, mildew filled catastrophe.Troglodytarum is latin for troll