Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

^great shot. love the colors from the sunset.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011

mauspad:

unfortunate framing, toy camera forever

nice shot, holga hipster.

; )

howz new haven?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpbevins
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2011 edited

james_emile:the impossible is some people in the UK? that used to work for polaroid and they bought some machines and are making film again. I'm not crying about not having any for a 600 series or sx-70 polaroid but it's cool that they're starting to do 8x10 and 4x5 films.

They're in new york, they actually have a gallery space/store front up too, they sell some rad shit there as well as their film. They were selling some artists handmade cameras at one point, not sure if they're still there: http://altsnotdead.tumblr.com/post/1044547038/arunas-kulikauskas-also-known-as-akulis2-on

Sorry, I haven't updated that blog in far too long.

Have you or Baumann checked out any of the 20x24 stuff at all?

Additionally, sorry James, I don't actually think I know you.
    I'm fairly new to the forum, haven't even posted in the introduce yourself thread. :x
    but actually I'm a freshman at Massart planning to major in photography so next year I believe I'll get to use one of the 20x24 cameras!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpbevins
    • CommentTimeJan 15th 2011

Rad, I'm kind of new to the forum as well, don't really post on here much, nor care to read much on here.

I was referring to the 20x24 studios in new york, also kind of connected to "the impossible" photographers. Which massart course has the 20x24?
    one teacher at SMFA has a butt load of large format cameras that he apparently loves to show off too. JP, you'd probably know about this.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    Ah haven't heard of those.
    This is the course:
    MPPH406 Polaroid 20X24
    This course is centered around using the specialized Polaroid 20X24 camera. Students work directly with the instructor to create work based in the studio. Students will learn lighting and collaborative techniques unique to the Polaroid.
    Prerequisites: MPPH260 or MPPH261 or permission of instructor
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpbevins
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011

Yo, that course sounds awesome. I'm taking part time classes at mass art starting the 24th, so I can finish up my bfa, and get the fuck outta boston. I wish I could take that course as continuing education.

Craig, I don't know that teacher actually. I was there almost 6-7 years ago, and did mostly film making stuff while I was there. I'm not a fan of cookie cutter photo courses, so I avoided them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011

northern mockingbird

herring gull
    ^so coolsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    ^^aww man... that gull has crabs.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2011

for the hipsters:
    charlies kitchen (no apostrophe)
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2011

That's probably the best that place has ever looked.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^^swoonclockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpbevins
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2011

Hey guys, I got a bunch of studio shots I did for IF's NAHBS bikes on my flickr right now if anyone's interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/boatonahill/
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2011

dogwood taps

highland ave.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2011

red-tailed hawk
    Hey, if any of you photog types want practice shooting sports, the Ultimate Showcase (and ultimate frisbee...showcase, I guess) is looking for volunteers who will get sideline passes from them. Email volunteer at buda dot org, and erik at ihuck dot com.

past photos here: http://theultimateshowcase.com/photos.htmli mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2011 edited

bosdtcrssingbutts
    'Nop, have you heard about this bullshit about men who "stalk and photograph" women in downtown crossing? Some dipshit almost attacked me the other day because I was shooting in his/his daughter's general direction on the common. I'd be careful if you do much street photography.

for the record, I was photographing the cyclist coming down tremont street about 50 feet behind him. The asshole didn't even believe me when i showed him the pictures.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    ^If they're in a public place then you can tell them to get the eff over it. They have no expectation of privacy in public. That said, be careful and be safe.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    EPIC! Stratton:^If they're in a public place then you can tell them to get the eff over it. They have no expectation of privacy in public. That said, be careful and be safe.

this is true. you can shoot them until they move into an area where they are seeking privacy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2011

Craiginpictures:'Nop, have you heard about this bullshit about men who "stalk and photograph" women in downtown crossing? Some dipshit almost attacked me the other day because I was shooting in his/his daughter's general direction on the common. I'd be careful if you do much street photography.

for the record, I was photographing the cyclist coming down tremont street about 50 feet behind him. The asshole didn't even believe me when i showed him the pictures.

yeah, i hear about it. but i was relatively far away on this shot and shot it quick with me trusty m8! thing's v. discrete. no one even saw me!
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

james_emile:
    EPIC! Stratton:^If they're in a public place then you can tell them to get the eff over it. They have no expectation of privacy in public. That said, be careful and be safe.

this is true. you can shoot them until they move into an area where they are seeking privacy.
    you can legally shoot anyone or anything that you can see so long as you are STANDING on public property unless they are in a place where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. that is to say, the line starts to get a little fuzzy when you are shootin into someone's home while standing on the street...though it is technically legal, ethical considerations obviously start to come into play.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Where's that hawk?
    If you're into birds there's a horned owl nest at mt auburn cem right now.
    2 little white fluff balls in it right now tooe-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2011

BAUMANN:you can legally shoot anyone or anything that you can see so long as you are STANDING on public property unless they are in a place where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. that is to say, the line starts to get a little fuzzy when you are shootin into someone's home while standing on the street...though it is technically legal, ethical considerations obviously start to come into play.
    How about taking pictures of infrastructure and areas of interest? Say an airport or trains? I thought there were some news stories about people getting scolded for taking pictures of trains and whatnot. The whole terrorists are going to kill us all scare thingy. I have no idea, just curious.We are the small axe.
    Yeah, every once and a while there's an article about how some transit authority-type who doesn't really know the law tries to have a photographer arrested.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

\
    We need more kids riding bikes in suits, from a wired article on messengers.We are the small axe.
    tone:
    BAUMANN:you can legally shoot anyone or anything that you can see so long as you are STANDING on public property unless they are in a place where they have a reasonable expectation of privacy. that is to say, the line starts to get a little fuzzy when you are shootin into someone's home while standing on the street...though it is technically legal, ethical considerations obviously start to come into play.
    How about taking pictures of infrastructure and areas of interest? Say an airport or trains? I thought there were some news stories about people getting scolded for taking pictures of trains and whatnot. The whole terrorists are going to kill us all scare thingy. I have no idea, just curious.

There is a state law dealing with "peeping toms" although I have no idea how's it's been applied. If nothing else one might not want to go disseminating photos you've taken, even from public property, that show a person in their own home in some state of undress (personally I would argue that, were the subject to not close their curtains, they've given up their expectation of privacy, but I couldn't say how the courts view that particular issue).

As for an airport, I would venture to guess that Massport would argue that Logan is not public property... and perhaps the T would argue the same thing were you in a station taking photographs. That said I would imagine they'd be more interested in asking questions about what you're doing and might be able to charge a person with loitering, if nothing else.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN

^ if you are on private (airport/mbta) property, then you are at the mercy of whatever security might be present. if you are shooting mbta/airport property from a public vantage point, than you are completely within your rights to continue shooting regardless of what security might say.

interesting line in mbta photo policy:

"Any person observed taking pictures on, in, or of MBTA property, vehicles, or employees who refuses to provide proper identification to an MBTA Transit Police Officer or other MBTA Official upon request; or any person observed taking pictures on, in, or of a restricted area (i.e. an area not open to the public) will be directed to stop taking pictures and will be subject to additional law enforcement action as appropriate." - (http://www.mbta.com/uploadedfiles/About_the_T/Police/Photo%20Policy%201.pdf)

Seems like if you are cooperative and provide ID if requested you should be in the clear, if the officer isnt a dick.RIDE METAL
    Correct... I was intending to add to what you said previously about being *on* public property when shooting. I don't think it's immediately clear to people that property owned by quasi-public bodies isn't necessarily considered public property.
    • CommentAuthorowen

I was given some shit by transit police for taking pictures for a school project once a few years ago. I complied, but I don't really understand their objection. I wasn't being sneaky or anything, I had a DSLR and a tripod, haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

shoot real fast. that's part of the fun. if they give ya shit, yer not fast enough.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

dead week
    DSC_4313
    DSC_4262
    DSC_4318
    DSC_4281
    DSC_4244

BRACE YO SELF SUCKA
    DSC_4297
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2011

scrap yard
    Gotta wonder how long that area will remain like that... once the Green Line comes into Union.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011

^ya mean IF.
    I think it's a matter of when rather than if... but admittedly the when keeps getting pushed back.

For a second I thought you were saying IF had given up on NH and were moving back to Somerville. Someone needs to sleep more.
    I've brought a lot of stuff to that scrap yard recently due to work. you get paid for trash you cant throw out haha i support it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2011

surprisefries:

Barbados?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2011

memorial drive
    ^^yup!
    ^niiiiice.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011

so much talent"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."

url is http://romabikepolo.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/aquilone18.jpg
    (idk source, stolen from an unreferenced post)somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2011

marsh wren
    • CommentAuthoringsy
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2011

heyo....back in Boston now, was hoping someone could give some recs for camera shops.

I am looking for a good selection of camera bags, used lenses, and (most importantly) fast B&W processing. Thanks!
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2011

I grabbed this at the pats peak race today. Unfortunately, Im broken so I couldn't ride, so I ran support for my friend Joe.

ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    you broken?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.