Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

Yeah, I banged up my ribs in a pretty sweet fall in last weekend's race. Im off the bike for a couple weeks minimum. It sucks.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011 edited

aghh, ribs are the worst! best of luck to you and i hope to high hell you never have to sneeze or cough.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2011

Way to jinx him, Sean.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    OWWWWWNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I obviously didn't take this, but I wasn't sure where else to post it. Perhaps there should be a "Retro Bike Pics" thread.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    what do you mean you obviously didn't take this?
    you might have a time machine bicycle.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    like the one in the lower left corner, for instancei mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    it looks like that could have a flux capacitor on itYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2011

ingsy:heyo....back in Boston now, was hoping someone could give some recs for camera shops.

I am looking for a good selection of camera bags, used lenses, and (most importantly) fast B&W processing. Thanks!
    Two weeks late, but Bromfield Camera in downtown crossing seems to be a well-respected place (and treated me well when I went in to browse).I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthoringsy
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2011

thanks ben...

I did check our Broomfield - nice guys, even gave me a free roll of film. The processing is a bit slow though; they send slides and B&W to Kansas. Ended up checking out Calumet in Cambridge for bags - good selection. I also ended up using Color Tek for processing - near South Station, they are quick on developing - not sure if there are any other labs downtown. Thanks again. Cheers, ingsy
    •  
      CommentAuthorlenny

ingsy:

B&W processing

Check out Dorian Color Lab in Arlington.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

there's a lab in needham. a good lab. go there.
    • CommentAuthorcmcintosh
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011

Dorian > Color Services (needham) or Colortek (south station)
    Also cameras inc in somerville does surprisingly good processing for cheaper than most places. if you're into that kinda thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2011

white corporal
    Sunset | Smith Field (Allston polo courts) | July 24, 2011

Image and video hosting by TinyPicAll you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    recent trip to the cape
    bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    holy damnsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    i had some awesome shots of a triple rainbow the next day, but because my camera and/or my card was acting like a douche i lost all of them...bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse
    that's really quite sadsomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorlmaligaya
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2011 edited

Some pics from today of the '83 Peugeot PSV-10 I bought a few weeks back.

can any one recomend a decent medium sized photo bag? i've just been throwing my dslr into my giant rolltop but i think it's time to get something where i can fit a body w/lens flash and then have room for other essentials but everything i've come across is ugly or too big.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeAug 25th 2011

^i like domke bags. sturdy canvas.
    • CommentAuthoringsy
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2011

a few digital infrared pics of public gardens:

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2011

^Infrared! Try doing THAT with your digital cameras!

Where did you buy your film? I should get some...that shit is amazing.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    you can actually hack a DSLR to take infared pics for something like 100 bucks and a day project.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

^why would ya want to?
    • CommentAuthoringsy

nerdo:^Infrared! Try doing THAT with your digital cameras!

Where did you buy your film? I should get some...that shit is amazing.

the pics were taken w/ a modified digital camera (panasonic gf1). Most digi cam sensors are very sensitive to (near) infrared light, but have a filter infront to block it so the pics looks like it does to the human eye (i.e. only visible light). the modification removes the IR blocking filter and either replaces it with an IR pass filter, or leaves it bare and you would then use IR pass filters on a lens which is what I am doing. As CraginPictures said you can do it yourself or you can send it off to someone to do it for you...i am no good w/ tools so i had it done by a shop. shooting in IR is fun though....trying to do some more 'faux color' IR now.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Aw whatever. I'm so behind the times.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    i nearly accidentally bought a Nikon D3x that was modified to shoot UV. it was 1100 dollars on ebay and I was like "WHY SO CHEAP OMG"Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Whoa! I'd shoot UV all the time.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorxepyt
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011

hola!

I'll be visiting your city tomorrow for the first time and I won't be able to swoop up any film before I leave ny. any shop rec's? looking for 35mm film, thanks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2011

late to the party but...I WANNA SHOOT FLOWERS IN UV SO I CAN SEE WHAT THE BEES SEE!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011

Lauren, that rules. Wow wow wow.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2011

BEE LANDING STRIPS. so awesome.
    pervi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that went there in my head.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2011

surprisefries:I'm glad I'm not the only one that went there in my head.
    "Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthortspinning
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2011

My first try at HDR! Also, yay Fells!
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug
    That's pretty awesome, nice job. I particularly like the silhouetted powerstation, etc, in the background at center.
    excellently shot!Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthortspinning
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2011

Thanks for the comments! It was fun working with the technique. I wish I would have known or realized that shooting in low ISO really helps these work, I was surprised by the number of artifacts and noise generated on a number of shots I tried to render. Also that cloud was in the perfect place to split the sunbeams and really added to the effect.

As a side note, my old tripod finally gave it up this past weekend (thanks Dad it pretty good run after 27 years of use!) and I just picked up a new Benro with an adjustable ball head, WOW, so awesome. Highly recommend their gear.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

tspinning:My first try at HDR! Also, yay Fells!

that's a nice pic. but what IS HDR? for real? a setting? or what? weird filters?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop

^too busy to google.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011 edited

its a post processing technique that involves the blending of multiple exposures to achieve a higher dynamic range (hdr) in the shadows and highlights than would otherwise be possible with a single exposure.

the above photo looks (to me) like 2 exposures with a gradient applied across the middle which, while not TRUE hdr, achieves a very similar effect (when you have a horizon to work with).

it is possible to create HDR-like images without extra software but the only true way to do it (well) is with a 3rd party photoshop plug-in or I think photoshop 5 can do it (but probably not very well).

bottom line, HDR can be used to very cool or very offensive ends. Tread carefully.RIDE METAL
    •  
      CommentAuthorRoz
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2011

brunop:
    tspinning:My first try at HDR! Also, yay Fells!

that's a nice pic. but what IS HDR? for real? a setting? or what? weird filters?

WOW, legitroz-berry-lime
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012 edited

discuss:
    http://www.professionalphotographer.co.uk/Magazine/Photographic-Inspiration/100-most-influential-photographers-of-all-time

i'd rearrange some. and exclude some. a bit interesting, nonetheless.

if yer innersted an this that is. . .

maybe ebaumann et al.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeJan 1st 2012

^ Without looking exhaustively, it looks good, and I like where Martin Parr is placed. David Bailey I'd edge higher though....
    • CommentAuthortspinning
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012

That sunrise shot before was either 5 or 7 exposures, 2 stops apart with white balance tweaks and minor color correction, no filters in place except UV on the lens.

Here's another from the day after Christmas, shot from my mom's porch in NH. No UV filter on this one, some spot color editing for contrast in the clouds.

• CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2012

Sihanoukville, CambodiaI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ^loving the colors

caught a nice sunrise from my sister's new apartment while vising the fam in chicago
    bowel shaking earthquakes of doubt and remorse