Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMatthew X
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008

I only know of one other music nerd on this forum so far. Who else does music-type things for a living (or for school)?

Me:
    Berklee (ew)
    Guitar/Bass/Piano/Vocals
    Music PublicistI wish everyone else were dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreggman
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008 edited

I play piano and sing, and I am very very very half-assedly trying to become a legit musician, but I had been wasting my life working towards a biology degree up until this past spring, and now I'm just finding it very daunting to try and start actually writing some music.Ella: Not that I would EVER even THINK of taking the T (mainly because my penis is too large to fit in it)
    i went to northeastern for music industry for a semester before i realized that art and business should be kept separate.

i used to play double bass, but i sold it. now i dick around with guitars and sing a little bit.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    conor!:...art and business should be kept separate...

Conor, I love that quote.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorhannaelise

I work for Lovepump United Records, JellyNYC, and Advanced Alternative media.

I also sing opera professionally. :-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMatthew X
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2008 edited

^yay!I wish everyone else were dead.
    • CommentAuthordougefresh

^^i second that yay

yep, music nerd.

myself:
    berklee
    guitar/other thangs
    music production and engineering
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasso
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2008

I was a trumpet major for a year and a half out at Westfield State. i just graduated with an engineering degree from wentworth however. so while i guess I'm not a "musician" but i p;lay a mean bass. I suggest everyone check out my band, Dead Marxist Trio. We have myspace page (myspace.com/deadmarxisttrio) although our music has evolved mildly from those recordings. I'll post new shit soon!

Back to the nerd thing, i'm kinda a wanna be nerd. I just took "bicycling science" out of the library again. maybe i"ll finish it this time.There's always money in The Banana Stand
    • CommentAuthorMcDonald

In my last few semesters at Berklee, figuring out whether I want to dual major in Music Bus/Music Ed (a lot of work) or cut it short and just do Professional Music with an emphasis in both. Did booking for Gilman (San Francisco), worked for a label, worked as a music teacher assistant in a high school, conducted children's choirs for a while, right now just school full time (ugh) so I can get out of here and move on to better cities that actually have decent music.

My primary is voice but I play piano just as well. I was classically trained, but coming to Berklee changed all that and I tend to swing more towards rock, folk, jazz, bossa nova, etc. I also play guitar and bass and I can get by on a few other instruments if needed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMatthew X

^what semester??

I feel like I must've met you at some point. Are you also graduating in May?I wish everyone else were dead.
    • CommentAuthorMcDonald

I wish, I started in Fall 05 but I don't even know when or what semester I am anymore. I am hoping on doing 3 more semesters full time and I'll be done. It depends on whether I go full time or part time (due to a medical situation), so sometimes it takes me two semesters to get through a semester's worth of work. Ugh, stupid body! I actually keep a pretty low profile at school so chances are that we probably haven't met, I'm not friends with a lot of people at Berklee. A few, but not many.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMatthew X

Totally understandable, unless I'm in class, I steer clear of Back Bay as much as possible. I also started in Fall 05, and I'll walk in May, however, I'll still have a few classes in the summer to finish.I wish everyone else were dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthormrotown

Just recently retired from music for awhile.
    Anyone selling a decent single channel JCM 800?
    Preferably 50watt

I had one years ago and foolishly sold it.
    I've foolishly sold a lot of stuff over the years.\

Anyone looking for a wheeled double head case?
    Or a 100watt Soldano Avenger in mint shape?e-f-f-e-c-t a smooth operater operating correctly
    • CommentAuthorMcDonald
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008

Matthew:Totally understandable, unless I'm in class, I steer clear of Back Bay as much as possible. I also started in Fall 05, and I'll walk in May, however, I'll still have a few classes in the summer to finish.

Ah, didn't know you could do that (walk before you get all your credits). Good to know, although I dread the whole ceremony/walking thing. What did you major in?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMatthew X
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2008

Yeah Berklee is strange. I majored in Music Business.I wish everyone else were dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014

bump.

question: is there a stupidly specific genre name for this music? this = sampled speech, repetitive percussion, still has poppy song structure?

examples:

•  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2014 edited

^ Synth Pop / Indietronica ? Don't know if there's anything more specific than that. We could invent a term. I propose "Speechtronica".

In other news, I think it's kind of cool that you revived this thread. Music nerds, let's out ourselves.
    I'm an opera singer (lyric tenor). Studied at Boston Conservatory and New England Conservatory. In DC at the moment working for Maryland Lyric Opera, doing Cavalleria Rusticana and Pagliacci, then heading to upstate NY for Gianni Schicchi with Hubbard Hall Opera Theater.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    Zak, you better chime in.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014

Nuggetross:bump.

question: is there a stupidly specific genre name for this music? this = sampled speech, repetitive percussion, still has poppy song structure?

examples:

They're different types of house music. The first one sounds like deep house.
    • CommentAuthorryan t

I went to Berklee for piano :)
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

they're both tunes that dfa djs would have been playing back 10 years ago i guess.

definitely that severed heads tune. remember hearing it a fair bit....was on the cut copy fabriclive cd...
    never realised it was an old australian group.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FabricLive.29

(that cd captures a time/place for me pretty well actually....seeing cut copy, midnight juggernauts, presets....)
    You can hear me express my music nerd obsessions (the 60's/70's soul/garage/etc side) in just about 5 minutes (noon-2pm) at 88.1 FM or http://wmbr.org

ETA: you can now listen to this show after-the-fact anytime (for the next month or so) here: http://headphones.mit.edu/archive/Lost_and_Found____6_23_14_11:58_AM.mp3

and the playlist can be seen here: Lost & Found 6-23-14
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2014

i can't seem to find this song OR band on the entirety of the internet. halp?

The Mode - "Balance"
    clearest listening @28:20 - 31:10