Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2012

surprisefries:I don't think headphones are a violation either. In a car, yes, but on a bike?

nerdo:Not wearing a helmet is not a violation of anything. What is the point of this? Victim blaming.
    I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    • CommentAuthortristan

you really shouldn't be wearing headphones on a bike, though.

Losing any measure of awareness of your surroundings is no good when you're on an 18 lb toy amidst thousand pound steel anti-death boxes.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthortristan

(not to say that wearing headphones on a bike is illegal, I don't know if it is or isnt)ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    http://www.cityofboston.gov/bikes/bikesafety/laws.asp

I thought it was illegal to wear headphones in traffic, but I guess not. It *is* illegal to use a whistle to warn pedestrians. Weird.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    BICYCLE RIGHTSDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^^probably due to traffic cops' use of whistlessomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    banana truffles:http://www.cityofboston.gov/bikes/bikesafety/laws.asp

I thought it was illegal to wear headphones in traffic, but I guess not. It *is* illegal to use a whistle to warn pedestrians. Weird.

Cyclists' Responsibilities

Riding single file unless passing.

They need to update they shit.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Some of these are kinda funny. I can have as many lights as I want? Amazing. I think I will.

Also,

is it out of date?^ Or is Mass Bike a bunch of liars?

http://massbike.org/resourcesnew/bike-law/

Their site says two-abreast.
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012 edited

banana truffles:http://www.cityofboston.gov/bikes/bikesafety/laws.asp

I thought it was illegal to wear headphones in traffic, but I guess not. It *is* illegal to use a whistle to warn pedestrians. Weird.

"Prohibited Actions: Use a siren or whistle on your bike to warn pedestrians."

So according to that site, one could assume it's legal to use a whistle to warn other vehicles.

Whereas the actual State law states:

"The operator shall give an audible warning whenever necessary to insure safe operation of the bicycle; provided, however, the use of a siren or whistle is prohibited."

The Boston site is pretty shaky, but hey the city is "bike friendly" now.We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthortone
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2012

^^ out of date and poorly written.We are the small axe.
    Motorcycle kopper hanging out in the loading dock on Galileo between Main and Broadway. Not sure what he's up to.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Almost forgot to mention my wife reported seeing several cyclists pulled over in Union Square (S'ville), they're probably upping enforcement again what with the return of the fairweather-cyclists.
    Hmm, is that why there were several cyclists waiting at the light? I didn't look for cops since it was just easier to just wait behind them for green. I was actually kind of into the bike traffic this morning since I wasn't in a hurry.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2013

^^ Thanks for that. Not that I plough through there but sometimes go on the ped light. I'm just about to pass through there in a bit...
    I almost always go on the ped light if it's an option. Cycling up Webster by the charter school, given the state of the road, the lack of marked lanes and especially during school drop-off hours- I'd rather not have to fit in with cars if I have a choice.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben

I always take the ped light heading out of union onto Webster. Gives you enough of a head start to get past that crappy section of road before the cars scream by.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

^ cops don't give a shit about your actual safety, you're supposed to pretend to be a car or something. Plus they want easy ticket money, and who better to harass than the least dangerous people on the road?

I'm glad I miss Union, I go right from east Somerville to Gore st."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2013

there are cops out on longwood giving tickets to people running the last red before the bridge coming down the hill.
    particularly if you jump the red while the cars have the arrow in the other direction.
    i wasn't paying attention and got pulled up. he didn't care much. lots of backed up traffic...just a warning.
    he said that come summer they'll be out doing more/giving proper tickets.

i told him that as long as they pull up cars then i don't mind.
    didn't tell him to get the cruiser out of the fucking bike lane
    huh, the cruiser wasn't in the bike lane when I went through there at 9:20ish. But the cop was stopping people square in the middle of the bike lane so that the law abiders got pushed out into traffic.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2013

I was pulled over this morning in Brookline by a bike cop in Coolidge. Taking my daily route to work down Beacon, left onto Harvard. I always get in the left lane, left of the cars and slow turn at the intersection, being sure no tram will whack me. I got over the tracks where I wait for no oncoming traffic or a red light to continue. This morning it was the former situation, so me and some peds crossed the street. About 30 ft ahead was a Brookline Bikop (my neologism) flagging me down.
    He asked if he knew why I was stopped, I told him yes. He asked if I knew the by-laws etc etc. He was quiet, respectful and not trying to intimidate. He asked for my license and I handed it over. I told him that the intersection is pretty hairy and I feel much safer not waiting ahead of a line of cars only to turn around twice to wait at two lights (turning R onto Harvard, pulling a U turn then waiting northbound on Harvard for the light). He seemed understanding, but "the laws the law, and you can't do that". He filled out a written warning. I told him to ride safe and he did the same and said he "appreciated my attitude".
    I got to work just on time and began my lesson with showing the ticket and having my students write role-play dialogues for dealing with the police.

So heads up -- they'll be gone soon enough, but it the mean time just smile and nod.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

can't catch me, coppers.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

they been around coolidge and longwood so much lately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2013 edited

^^^dog a man forced you to stop your bike after you did something he acknowledged as safe to castigate you for something technically, but not practically, wrong. how is that not intimidating?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Bike cops should just ride in plain clothes and only ticket cars, that's such a waste of everyone's time to bother you for doing something completely safe that's not putting anyone in danger."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2013

Andy:Bike cops should just ride in plain clothes and only ticket cars, that's such a waste of everyone's time to bother you for doing something completely safe that's not putting anyone in danger.
    I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Bike cops should at least ride road bikes. I don't know what they're thinking with those shitty hybrids.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

bike cops should ride track bikes
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

WHOA. Bike cops riding in plain clothes and aggressively ticketing would do so much for road safety. Then supercommuter jerks would unsafely pass other cyclists on the right less and drivers would pay more attention to and be more respectful of cyclists.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeApr 12th 2013 edited

yea that's actually a really freakin good idea. but the whole "i'm a police officer, pull over" may be hard to communicate.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    I've seen uniformed bike cops have close calls and they just ride awayi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

cops and segways go together pretty well i think. they're both stupid and annoyingMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

and only jerks think that they're coolMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

I think the problem with this springtime "enforcement" period is that any cyclist that rides regularly/through all the seasons recognizes that there presence is temporary and any contact is just viewed as an annoyance, a one-time run in, or simply a joke. Not to belittle their positions, but if I saw bike cops out riding year round, on the streets I ride on, I'd be more apt to heed their advice and respect their position. In fact, most times I see a Bikop he's not actually on his bike, but just directing traffic. You'd think there would be more "on patrol" given the inherent mobility their position provides, yet it's not so. There have been so many times when I thought "If I were a bike cop, that car would get pulled over. That car would get a ticket for parking in the bike lane. These peds might not jump out with blatant disregard for traffic."
    Case in point, I didn't see a single one out today in the precipitation. When the cats are away, the mice are at play!
    seanile mick:the whole "i'm a police officer, pull over" may be hard to communicate.

This. Nobody would pull over for some seemingly rando dude on a bike.

DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus

surprisefries:
    This. Nobody would pull over for some seemingly rando dude on a bike.

Untrue! All you gotta do is slap their car and they pull over to yell at you!

(i keed)i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    you keed but you ain't wrongDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    throw the badge at their windshield?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Has anyone challenged a bike cop to a race over a ticket yet?
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    the past 2 summers I've worked at Back Bay, we've had the bike cop bikes in at the shop for tune ups (this is during the summer after they've had actually fat asses on them) and the shit they leave in their panniers is fucking gross. Like, half eaten hot dogs, empty chip bags, socks, soda, you name it. Im waiting for the day they leave a club or a gun or something in there.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

To be fair, those are all pretty normal things to put in panniers. Also, why are you guys going through their stuff? You're not fixing the inside of their luggage."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

josh_truant:Has anyone challenged a bike cop to a race over a ticket yet?
    yes

6kidz:To be fair, those are all pretty normal things to put in panniers. Also, why are you guys going through their stuff? You're not fixing the inside of their luggage.
    dude, police bikes are public property
    WAIT ARE CRUISERS PUBLIC PROPERTY TOO?

This could be the start of something awesome.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    it was more trying to figure out what was rotting in the basement than an act of going through panniers'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2013

you got a warrant for that?
    dora:
    cops and segways go together pretty well i think. they're both stupid and annoying

segways are fun as hell to ride though.tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2013

I saw missionspill directing traffic on Western Ave this morning. He let me through the light because cross traffic was at a standstill. Pretty nice for a cop.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthortinyhonkshus
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013 edited

Mayors office releases crash report: now with bad math!

Bike crashes in Boston are most likely to ­occur on Massachusetts Avenue, between 4 and 7 p.m., to men between 19 and 31 years old. And they are most often caused by cyclists running red lights.

Of the 1,091 [out of ~1440] crashes in which causes were listed, ­cyclists ran a red light or rode through a stop sign before colliding with a car 28 percent of the time.

Eighteen percent of the collisions between cars and cyclists occurred when a vehicle door opened unexpectedly on a cyclist. Fourteen percent occurred when a motorist did not see a cyclist.

in conclusion, 28 is larger than not only 32, but also 50.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Maybe it's a really big 28
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013 edited

tinyhonkshus:Mayors office releases crash report: now with bad math!