Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordora
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013

tinyhonkshus:Mayors office releases crash report: now with bad math!

Bike crashes in Boston are most likely to ­occur on Massachusetts Avenue, between 4 and 7 p.m., to men between 19 and 31 years old. And they are most often caused by cyclists running red lights.

Of the 1,091 [out of ~1440] crashes in which causes were listed, ­cyclists ran a red light or rode through a stop sign before colliding with a car 28 percent of the time.

Eighteen percent of the collisions between cars and cyclists occurred when a vehicle door opened unexpectedly on a cyclist. Fourteen percent occurred when a motorist did not see a cyclist.

in conclusion, 28 is larger than not only 32, but also 50.
    Blitz:

hahaha beat me to it!Must be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthordora

FROM LOLPICSMust be awful, being so fluffy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl
    • CommentTimeMay 15th 2013 edited

]
    from table 1a and 1c
    Behaviors
    Frequency
    Vehicle Operator or Occupant – Extended Door
    Driver Did Not See Bicyclist
    Cyclist Rode into Oncoming Traffic
    Bicyclist Ran Red Light
    Bicyclist Speeding
    Bicyclist Did not see the Car
    Vehicle Operator – Aggressive Behavior
    Driver was Speeding
    Driver Ran Red Light
    Bicyclist Ran Stop Sign
    Bicyclist – Aggressive Behavior
    Driver Ran Stop Sign
    Bicyclist - Personal Item Caught
    Interesting how they start summing up various categories to reach a pre-determined conclusion.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

bicyclist speeding -57
    driver speeding - 24

wut?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz

Andy:bicyclist speeding -57
    driver speeding - 24

wut?

Seems legit...

•  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Because we all know how accurate the BPD is at determining fault/cause in a cycling accident.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Wow: it's literally bad math

I guess Howl said this and I was just too dense to check the math again, but ACCORDING TO THE REPORT ITSELF, the figure regarding crashes caused by cyclists running lights (85/1091) is actually 7%.

WOW. Not only is 28% not greater than 50%, it's not even fucking 28%, it's SEVEN.

Globe has not changed their story to reflect this.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBlitz

tinyhonkshus:Wow: it's literally bad math

I guess Howl said this and I was just too dense to check the math again, but ACCORDING TO THE REPORT ITSELF, the figure regarding crashes caused by cyclists running lights (85/1091) is actually 7%.

WOW. Not only is 28% not greater than 50%, it's not even fucking 28%, it's SEVEN.

Globe has not changed their story to reflect this.

Wow... Just wow.
    That's just the Glob being the Glob.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013

Cop on east side of Cambridge at Cambridge & Prospect catching people running the red toward downtown.

Cop at Broadway & Hampshire in Cambridge catching people running the red heading toward MIT/Downtown.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ^beat me to it. Superbikerdude in front of us (after aggro-passing MF leading up to the red) got very deservedly popped for using the crosswalk to turn left on the red.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2013 edited

When I rode through Hampshire & Broadway, the motorcycle cop had stopped a guy commuting in kit. I started singing "Bad Boys" and neither of them seemed amused.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    ben:Cop on east side of Cambridge at Cambridge & Prospect catching people running the red toward downtown.

Cop at Broadway & Hampshire in Cambridge catching people running the red heading toward MIT/Downtown.

Cops doing this in Coolidge on Monday.

ben:When I rode through Hampshire & Broadway, the motorcycle cop had stopped a guy commuting in kit. I started "Bad Boys" and neither of them seemed amused.

Nice.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I made eye contact with and nodded to cops at Beacon/Colchester and Western/Putnam as I safely and slowly rolled through gridlocked reds. I haven't been getting fucked with at all lately.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I gave a good WOMP WOOOOMMMP this morning, neither cop nor superbikerdude seemed to acknowledge it.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

joeyfresh:I made eye contact with and nodded to cops at Beacon/Colchester and Western/Putnam as I safely and slowly rolled through gridlocked reds. I haven't been getting fucked with at all lately.

That's the way to do it, just don't pull blatantly dangerous stunts and they generally don't give a shit."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

Andy:
    joeyfresh:I made eye contact with and nodded to cops at Beacon/Colchester and Western/Putnam as I safely and slowly rolled through gridlocked reds. I haven't been getting fucked with at all lately.

That's the way to do it, just don't pull blatantly dangerous stunts and they generally don't give a shit.

oui, c'est vrai.
    also, indicate with a nod or arm movement what you'd like to do, and that usually ends up with the cop's tacit approval. A smile or good morning works wonders.

About a month ago there were two bikes cops sitting at the light at Longwood / Chapel (just after jWAY), I turned onto the street, into a green and was in the middle lane with pretty good speed. An SUV coming towards me had it's left blinker on and screamed in front of me to take a left onto Chapel. I had to swing left into the oncoming lane to go around THEM and I yelled "wtf" and made it clear I didn't understand. I looked right at the cops hoping they'd get all Pacific Blue on the sitch, but one just goes "He woulda stopped for you." Nice work, boys.
    I saw one get almost doored once (he swerved into traffic to avoid, lucky there was no traffic) and he just kept rolling.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2013

^ lol, it's weird how they don't train them on bike related laws, that's a $100 fine there. Speaking of bike cops though, why do they almost never fasten their helmets?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Harvard Ave in Allston, cop got us, two warnings.....failing to stop at red light
    One of my friends got pulled over for running a red in Cambridge yesterday. He asked the cop if maybe they didn't have better uses for their resources than stopping cyclists (dumb, yeah)...so the cop went full asshole, told my buddy to turn on his headlight which of course had dead batteries. So he got a $20 ticket for running the light, and a $20 ticket for no headlight...at 1:30pm...meaning the headlight ticket is total bullshit and either the cop is that much of a dick, or an idiot.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2013

That explanation was conveniently left off of the facebook post about it hahahaha

Props for having the guts to make that comment to the Cops, though I like the idea of them nabbing people who blatantly run reds.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Can you fight a headlight ticket like that? Afaik the law says that one has to have a headlight at night, not that one has to have a headlight at all times.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorben

joeyfresh:Can you fight a headlight ticket like that? Afaik the law says that one has to have a headlight at night, not that one has to have a headlight at all times.
    Mass General Law Chapter 85 Section 11B(8) During the period from one-half hour after sunset to one-half hour before sunrise, the operator shall display to the front of his bicycle a lamp emitting a white light visible from a distance of at least five hundred feet, and to the rear of said bicycle either a lamp emitting a red light, or a red reflector visible for not less than six hundred feet when directly in front of lawful lower beams of headlamps on a motor vehicle. A generator powered lamp which emits light only when the bicycle is moving shall meet the requirements of this clause.
    Seems contestable to me.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Totally contestable, it's an invalid ticket.

I see he didn't mention that part on fb, haha. But you know him, I'm sure you're not surprised.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Everyone should be expecting this by this point, but cops at Broadway x Hampshire again.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Cops stopping bikes for running light at Kent St. Not stopping red minivans for running light at Kent St.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthor•••
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2013

It's perfectly ok as long as the the minivan driver didn't see the light
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

It's okay as long as they're in a car, I guess those are immune to traffic laws around here. Just saw a car going the wrong way down the Fenway by the MFA, but commuters on bikes?! Shut that nonsense down, we have priorities."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorsourman

copper coppers have been posting up around packards corner on the inbound side of comm ave stopping cyclists for snaking through that strange intersection against red lights.
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2013

Motorcycle cop had somebody stopped at the Southwest corner of Galileo Galilei and Broadway in Cambridge this morning.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Oh really? I saw him in the usual spot for pulling over cyclists blowing the Hampshire/Broadway. Wasn't gonna post it since it's been so frequent lately everyone should just assume he's there. But if he's getting people at Galileo/Broadway too, that's new.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben

Maybe he chased the guy down.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I saw a motorcycle cop peel out to pull a car over for blowing the red on River crossing Putnam. That was refreshing.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    ^^Could be. I don't see dude putting in a whole lot of effort though, especially since he could wait 5 seconds and get someone else.

I'll have to be extra careful when I jump the green to turn left onto Broadway from Galileo now, though I've never seen cops there in the PM.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben

surprisefries:I'll have to be extra careful when I jump the green to turn left onto Broadway from Galileo now, though I've never seen cops there in the PM.
    Yeah, I do that too. And I take the right on Galileo from Broadway while it's red, but I stopped and waited today since all he'd need to do was put his hand out to grab me as I went by.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeJul 15th 2013

Brookline PD pulling bikers over on Harvard across from Brookline Booksmith
    • CommentAuthorthejit
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2013

Currently watching a women with a yellow/cream colored bike with a big basket on the front getting bitched at buy 3 cops on mount auburn st right at the harvard sq hotel. i didnt see what happened but at first there was one cop in a silver car with a plaid shirt on and he and the women were arguing about something. then i assume he said he was a cop, then saw him rip the license out of her hand then call for back up. now there are 3 cops there. its killing me that i didnt see what happened in the beginning!!!!
    Workmate says they're out at Washington and Beacon in Somerville, by the Wine and Cheese Cask. Nabbing lots of people for going through on the ped cycle.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2013

Thanks for the heads up - that's on my commute now, so I'll have to keep an eye out.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    One of my coworkers caught a warning for running a red on Hampshire st this morning around 9:45
    College kids coming back... time to do some enforcement?
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2013

Cop on beacon south of washington in somerville.

I yelled "Uh oh! Bike sting!" as I passed and he just laughed. Didn't seem like a dick, but ymmv.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Cops clearly not cracking down on anyone else. I watched 2 trucks run reds at the same intersection yesterday, cop was driving a cruiser directly behind one, and didn't give a shit. Priorities!"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthor•••

This week I've seen at least 4-5 cars/trucks pulled over by police on washington st in somerville and by the 93 offramp by sullivan sq... the most enforcement I've seen in a while. It's great because i feel like i almost get whacked on a regular basis by fools running the red off of the 93 ramp.
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

Is it just me noticing more or has running just turned red lights with a motor vehicle become more common place in the last year or so?We are the small axe.
    I have been noticing that nobody pays attention to the no right on red signs.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

^^^ excellent, Washington st blows, I've had so many close calls on that street with asshats speeding. One time someone tried to drive through the bike lane to pass a moving vehicle while I was in it. I have noticed a few Cambridge cops stop cars lately, but not in Boston."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    fuck no right on red signs (I obey them when I'm driving, but fuck 'em)

I thought running a just-turned red was a generally accepted thing to do in Mass? I don't do it when driving, but I expect everyone else to and I'm usually not disappointed.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Probably too late for most of yous, but there's a bike cop hiding behind a tree on Webster coming out of Union Sq (by the church). Nabbed MF and another cyclist for going through on the 4-way ped signal. Just gave them a warning.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D