Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

^Oh man that left to Beacon from Winch was my jam when I lived at Winch and Thorndike. Also very close to the site of my first ever bike crash in Boston. MEEEEMMMORRRIEESSSDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2014

did you live at that bro-house that got demolished/renovated (still underway)?

dudes were always drinking in the yard and throwing frisbees and shit.

looked fun.
    Yup, although when I lived there it was a totally different crew, mostly comp/neuro grad students. Less frisbee, more psychedelics, probably about equal drinking. My band used to practice in the basement, and we had to be done by 8pm or some of the neighbors would get super pissed.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaolo
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014

Cops at somerville and beacon this morning.
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2014

^Was there yesterday too, another warning. At least the one cop (not in reflective gear) is friendly.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaolo
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014

Paolo:Cops at somerville and beacon this morning.
    I have seen them there on multiple mornings be careful!YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2014

Yea, they're all over that multiple days a week. But in no pattern that I can discern.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    I got nailed in Harvard Sq last night. They were on Mass Ave, just passed the train station, by Cardullo's. They were not entirely without merit for pulling me over. The interesting part is the conversation with the officer that followed. He wasn't being a dick at all. He asked/stated the following.

"You look like someone who rides a bike a lot. I just saw you make about 7 violations. Are you aware of the changes in the law from last November? Bike infractions are now exactly the same a motor vehicle infractions. If you get three in a year, your liscens to operate will be suspended. The State is also trying to find out why people ride a bike like you were just doing. Do you need better bike lanes, traffic patterns, driver education, etc. I am only going to give you a warning, so your answers won't change anything into an actual citation."

I then explained how/why that section of bike lane (by the taxi stand) is one of the most dangerous sections of "bike lane" in the entire city. The officer then stated "Bikes can use the entire lane if needed." He gave me a warning, and leaflet on how to ride a bike in the city.

While the officer was writing the ticket, I witnessed another cop pull over some older Muslin women on Hubways. They had walked the bikes out into the street, and then rode about 2-3 mph against a crosswalk. There were no pedestrians in the cross walk when they did so.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014 edited

Wait, really? Bike infractions are exactly the same as motor vehicle infractions? Lol, America.

Is this state level or just Cambridge being dicks and making things up, like mandatory helmet laws?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014

Interesting interaction. I have to say, that's an incredibly positive way for them to go about it. He was courteous, explained the situation to you like a competent adult, even went so far as to provide a reason why maybe you were unaware of how your actions came up against the law, and offered you an opportunity to provide feedback (that ostensibly would actually be used to make improvements).

I gotta say, I'm pretty heartened and impressed by that.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014 edited

^ This. Yeah, that interaction is a really good sign of things to come.

chr|s sedition:The State is also trying to find out why people ride a bike like you were just doing. Do you need better bike lanes, traffic patterns, driver education, etc. I am only going to give you a warning, so your answers won't change anything into an actual citation."

Brownie points to the Cambridge PD for actually using the warnings as a "learning moment" for themselves.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    They're still way cheaper tickets than motor vehicle infractions though, right?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    This conversation was the first I've heard about three in a year thing. No idea.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

Nandy:
    Is this state level or just Cambridge being dicks and making things up, like mandatory helmet laws?

this...and mandatory helmet laws? sounds like australia....
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Can someone briefly explain what these changes to the law include and mean?We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Oh, I should add, he also THANKED ME for stopping for him (but also indicated if hadn't the other cop on the motorcycle would have chased me down).All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

y'all are so white.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I don't think this clown should really be applauded, it doesn't mean they'll be as reasonable with the next person they stop. I talked politely with one, but they happened to be an insecure douchebag and now I have to go to traffic court in Malden for a "right on red" ticket on a bicycle. This is the opposite of the right direction. What we need is actual driver enforcement, which is probably a fraction of how much they're targeting cyclists right now, contraflow bike lanes on every street, half as much on street parking as there is now, Idaho stops, etc. Exactly the last thing that will help more people get on bikes and protect cyclists is to treat them like 4,000lbs machines. Is there some state agency we can start a letter writing campaign to? This is absurd."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

Not being a lawyer, but enjoy searching the internet I'm going to call TOTAL BULLSHIT that bike infractions are the same as motor vehicle infractions and could cause one's license to be suspended. Although stating such is a pretty effective scare tactic.

Section 11E. A police officer who observes a traffic law violation committed by a bicyclist may request the offender to state his true name and address. Whoever, upon such request, refuses to state his name and address or whoever states a false name and address or a name and address which is not his name and address in ordinary use, shall be punished by a fine of not less than $20 nor more than $50. An offender who refuses to state his true name and address may be arrested without a warrant for such refusal but no person shall be arrested without a warrant for any other traffic law violation committed while operating a bicycle. A police officer shall use the ticketing procedure described in chapter 90C to cite a bicyclist for a traffic law violation but the violation shall not affect the status of the bicyclist’s license to operate a motor vehicle nor shall it affect the bicyclist’s status in the safe driver insurance plan. When a citation is issued to a bicyclist, it shall be clearly indicated on the ticket that the violator is a bicyclist, and failure to do so shall be a defense to the violation.

https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter85/Section11E

A decent write up of the new laws:
    http://massbike.org/resourcesnew/bike-law/bike-law-update/We are the small axe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Huh, maybe this is the cause of confusion?

" 11. Enforcement : Under the old law, each city or town that wanted to write tickets to bicyclists for violating traffic laws had to create its own procedure, unlike the procedure for ticketing motorists, which is the same throughout the state. Very few communities implemented this cumbersome separate process. The new law eliminates the separate procedure for bicyclists, and intends that the existing procedure for motor vehicles be used for bicyclists as well. MassBike will work with the state to determine how to proceed with enforcement.""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    My guess is that he prolly meant that if you failed to PAY a citation, that your license could be suspended. Cops often do not know the law (but neither do average citizens).All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    I'm confused - what infractions did he pull you over for? What were you doing to avoid the cab stand that wasn't just taking the lane?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

^^ Perhaps, but since he stated the 3 in a year thing he was most likely referring to 3 speeding tickets in a year is a automatic 3 month suspension. Which bikes seem to be exempt from. It is good to hear you had a civil conversation with a LEO.

^ I'm also interested to hear what he pulled you over for.We are the small axe.
    I'm also interested to hear what he pulled you over for.

As I said before, they were not entirely without merit for pulling me over. If I was a cop, I could have cited myself with failure to stop at red light, failure to yield to pedestrians in a crosswalk (2x), failure to signal when changing lanes (2x), lane splitting, and otherwise riding in some kind of Line of Sight manner. However, that is an on-paper cop perspective, and we all know that is different from everyone else.

I was taking up left lane (at big cross walk) to avoid the cab stand when the light turned red. No one had stepped off the curb yet, and I was in the middle of two lanes of traffic. Illegal in MA? Without question. Hazard to public safety? No chance in hell. At the next crosswalk, it was kind of busy with pedestrians. I went to the far, far left (buzzing the curb) in order to go behind people. I was going rather fast when I did this. As I was going behind behind people, I yielded to them. No one was coming toward me. Illegal? Maybe. Hazard to public safety? Nope. After that, a few cars were going really slow. Back-up from the next cross-walks/interesections/etc. At that point I started lane splitting and weaving between cars. Prolly unnerved some drivers. That's when cop stepped out into road.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    HEADS-UP. I just came through Harvard. Saw FOUR cop outposts between the yard and Mt. Auburn. Stopping bikes, cars, and peds.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

" Section 11B. Every person operating a bicycle upon a way, as defined in section one of chapter ninety, shall have the right to use all public ways in the commonwealth except limited access or express state highways where signs specifically prohibiting bicycles have been posted, and shall be subject to the traffic laws and regulations of the commonwealth and the special regulations contained in this section, except that: (1) the bicycle operator may keep to the right when passing a motor vehicle which is moving in the travel lane of the way"

So, a bicycle may pass a motor vehicle in a travel lane. Splitting lanes is illegal specifically for motorcycles, but doesn't seem to be for bicycles, unless I'm reading this wrong. It's the only mention I can find of passing with non-motorized vehicles."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    I'm glad this bicycle ticket/driving record thing came up, since the only cycling ticket I have ever received in my life was in Cambridge last December, and when I went to pay it there was mass confusion. I went online and it said to take it to the office of traffic and parking. This was when I had broken my foot so I limped over there in the rain in a cast from MIT, only to have them tell me I had to go to city hall to pay it. After I limped to city hall they were like "this doesn't look like our usual bike ticket" and they had no record of my violation. She tried to make me go BACK to the office of traffic and parking, and I refused. Eventually it turned out that the ticket had been assigned just like an automobile violation, and I needed to pay at the registry. I was able to pay it on my phone standing in the city hall lobby, but this raised many questions I was too lazy to get the answers to - did this ticket somehow count against my driving record, even tho it was on a bicycle? My insurance rate? Why was I given a citation using my driver's license, since I was on a bicycle, which one does not need a license for? I'm inclined to side with those who think this development is some seriously clusterfucked bureaucratic BULLSHIT.
    Cops at Broadway x Hampshire again. I feel like this is one of the places that doesn't bear mentioning anymore, since they're there so frequently we should all just expect it.

-Union Square
    -Broadway x Hampshire
    -Broadway x Prospect
    -Somerville Ave x Beacon/Mossland
    -MIT Cattle Crossing
    -Mass Ave x Inman (Cambo City Hall)
    -?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014

- Beacon St & Winchester/Webster St (Coolidge Corner)
    - Longwood & Kent St.

Basically day - on, day - off between those two for the Brookline Bike Cops
    They've been randomly camping at Putnam and River st. in cambridge lately. I got pegged there the other day for jumping the light. Have seen them multiple times since.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014

Know how many times I've seen cops in Boston doing that? NEVER. Y'all are living on the wrong side of the river.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Oh, EXCUUUUUSE me for living in a place where the cops actually CARE about keeping people SAFE.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Evan, hush now. We live in Somerville. He was talkin' bout Cambridge. Our cops don't care.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    you wanna know where they care even less? Jamaica Plain.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2014

I did deign not to blast through a red light this morning right next to a BPD cruiser in Upham's Corner, despite a nice pedestrian waving me through mid-crosswalk. Don't know why, though. I've done that a bajillion times with the BPD and haven't even gotten a blip from their siren.

Though, full disclosure, there was that one time when I got arrested by an undercover BPD detective sergeant when I was a messer for running a red light. Talk about illegal detainment! He probably thought he'd find drugs in my bag or something. Instead he found a peanut butter sandwich. Sucka!Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2014

killersim:you wanna know where they care even less? Jamaica Plain.

A JP cop called me a "fucking asshole" when I ignored his traffic-direction duties and found my own line.
    that kind of makes it sound like you were being an asshole.'Cause i always say i love you when i mean turn out the lights.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

That goes without saying.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthormfratt

Well, granted. But im not exactly gonna wait for him to wave me through if I have a clean line..
    well...yea, he's trying to control the flow of traffic for a reason.
    observation: your complaints often seem unfounded/unreasonable.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2014

^ People often mistake my observations and light-hearted eye-rolls for actual complaints.
    Observation: People often seem to take me way too seriously, especially on the internets.
    Observation: when people don't know you, they take what you say at face value.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Disobeying a direct order of a kop, usually, invites more trouble. In a traffic control situation, the kop *is* the traffic light. You are lucky he only called you an asshole, as opposed to issuing you a ticket for "running a red light." Had I been the kop, I prolly would have the done latter. Dick move.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthormfratt
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014

I see them as being there for cars. I can find my own way through, thanks. If they manage to stop me and issue me a ticket, I'll take it. But I'm not gonna sit there and wait when a clean line is staring me in the face. Sorry, not sorry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

And amazingly you managed to get sedition, of all people, on the side of the cop.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthormfratt

I dunno. I have a habit of making an ass of myself on this forum. I promise that I'm not (that much of) an ass in real life... (I promissssse)
    mfratt:I see them as being there for cars.

Roads are only there for cars, too, right?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014 edited

maybe it was one of those detail traffic cops who just signals what the signals are signalling and just stands in the middle like an idiot. But anyway, it's best not to piss off coppers, or get in the way of emergency vehicles, or whatever. Remember, you're only getting paid like 4 bucks for that job, it usually isn't worth looking like a douche. But that's just me, I'm usually going slow anyway and I hate my boss."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries