Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014

mfratt:I dunno. I have a habit of making an ass of myself on this forum. I promise that I'm not (that much of) an ass in real life... (I promissssse)
    I have that same problem too sometimes.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    except you are that much of an ass in real lifeDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2014

Saw a lit-up cop car with two morose looking cyclists in front of it on Somerville Ave today, about half a block past the Lowell St/Fire Station light that everyone seems to think they can run (which I suspect is what they did).I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorObo

surprisefries:except you are that much of an ass in real life
    he's getting better ;)I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    This guy...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Was pulled over by Cambridge police tonight. Juan and I watched it happen. His violation? Turning right, on a red, when there was a "no turn on red sign." He was going about 3mph.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014 edited

THAT WAS THE FUCKER WHO GOT ME, FOR TURNING ON A YELLOW AFTER ALMOST GETTING HIT BY A DRIVER DOING SEVERAL ILLEGAL THINGS.

same spot, motorcycle dooch, blatantly targeting a certain group of people while ignoring motorist violations."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014

I hate everything about biking in Cambridge.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    ^but but butDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014

lolololol, yeah but look what they chose as #1. It must be an elaborate, sarcastic joke."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Yeah, appropriately I found that through BikeSnob.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    To be fair, a NUMBER of cars were pulled over...more so than bikes.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2014

1: riding with a gopro rules, cops see it a hate camera and almost don't even want to talk to you. Plus it's handy if you are in an accident, and it help cool your own temper cus you know your on tape if you fly off the handle and say/do something dumb

2: those motorcycle cops in Cambridge are dicks.

3: State Police where on horse back in the Fells today. I passed one on the way to my car RIGHT AFTER putting my dog on leash and getting off a trail i wasn't supposed to be riding, close call.
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2015

Cops setting up in Brookline, got a warning today at Harvard/Fuller for rolling through a red a few seconds before it turned green.

They'll just likely be posted up along their usual route along Harvard st and a few other major intersections.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

They come out with the morning birds!
    OH HONESTLY. There is a cop at Coolidge Corner at evening rush hour whose ONLY JOB is to force drivers to ACTUALLY STOP at red lights, and they're still under the impression that bikes are the problem?

BY THE WAY this cop does not stop cars from making right turns at speed through populated crosswalks during the walk phase.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorkossmonaut

that fucking cop loves to stand in front of me
    • CommentAuthorMJ

tinyhonkshus:OH HONESTLY. There is a cop at Coolidge Corner at evening rush hour whose ONLY JOB is to force drivers to ACTUALLY STOP at red lights, and they're still under the impression that bikes are the problem?

BY THE WAY this cop does not stop cars from making right turns at speed through populated crosswalks during the walk phase.

This was around 2pm too, wasn't really expecting it, but it's the time that the kids are getting out of school, so oh well.

As I was quickly talking with the the cop he watched a car run a red, and amazingly said "oh well, we're never going to catch that guy"
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015 edited

Cops out on the Northwest corner of Beacon/Hampshire & Cambridge street, handing out flyers about bike laws.

They tried to hand me one, asking, "Are you familiar with the bike laws?" When I nodded and refused to take the flyer, he replied in a snotty tone, "Yeah, well I hope so."I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    He's luck you didn't say "Yeah, are you?"i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015

"No, thanks. I prefer Idaho stops when you're not looking.""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015

Cambridge cops were handing out literature around Kendall and tried to give some to a woman a few bikes ahead of me. When she said "no, thanks" the cop responded, "whoa-ho you know it all, huh? You should be on our side, then!""life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015

I rode up to an red light on a four-lane street in Rochester's financial district at 7:30pm on a weekday (think Washington Street, but after the zombie apocalypse, so there's absolutely no traffic anywhere in sight), and there were two police cars just sitting there. I'm from Boston, so what do I do? Well, I fucking wait at the light. I don't want to get a talking-to, or worse, a ticket.

Except, Toto, we're not in Boston anymore.

I wait for what feels like at least a minute for the light to change. And as I'm waiting, a scruffy looking dude rides towards me, slowly, *squeakily*, on a shitty Wal Mart mountain bike, and rides right through the red THE WRONG WAY in one of the four lanes of this completely empty road, with two cops parked at the intersection.

I laugh, and proceed through the red, realizing that cops here have bigger fish to fry than handing out tickets to cyclists.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited

Nandy:Cambridge cops were handing out literature around Kendall and tried to give some to a woman a few bikes ahead of me. When she said "no, thanks" the cop responded, "whoa-ho you know it all, huh? You should be on our side, then!"
    Sounds familiar!

I saw those guys this morning. They didn't try to talk to me, but I assumed a similar interaction would have happened if they had.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthoraglum
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015

Really quick yes/no question--Is 'brakeless riding' illegal in Boston?

I've been here from California for a few months now, and almost every track frame I see on the streets is with a freewheel/brakes. Just curious if there was any law about it... as far as I've seen, nothing obvious has shown up on google. Would you get pulled over for having bars without a brake lever?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015 edited

The only reason every track frame you see here has a freewheel and brakes is because everyone here is a rich hipster poseur. *

The letter of the law at https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIV/Chapter85/Section11b says:
    "(7) Every bicycle operated upon a way shall be equipped with a braking system to enable the operator to bring the bicycle traveling at a speed of fifteen miles per hour to a smooth, safe stop within thirty feet on a dry, clean, hard, level surface."

IANAL, but Josh is, and he says that fixed gear resistance braking is acceptable because it fits all of the above requirements.

* Well, the expensive track frame with freewheel and rear brake indicates this, anyway. Riding a front brake on the street isn't a bad idea.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorbuddymike
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015 edited

I stopped riding fixed and added brakes to my bike because I like my knees too much.
    Brookline cops have figured out that if they hide, they catch more light runners. Frankly I was pleased because it's really stupid to run the light at Marion Street, because the cars that might hit you are coming downhill from your 7 o'clock. Also it was a close-passing, super-commuting asshole.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    tinyhonkshus:Brookline cops have figured out that if they hide, they catch more light runners. Frankly I was pleased because it's really stupid to run the light at Marion Street, because the cars that might hit you are coming downhill from your 7 o'clock. Also it was a close-passing, super-commuting asshole.

Marion and Beacon?clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    yai mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    buddymike:I stopped riding fixed and added brakes to my bike because I like my knees too much.

As someone who's ridden brakeless for 4 years, I never understood this knee pain problem. I'm guessing it has something to do with form/bikefit possibly. I ride a 48x16 around town so its not a complete bitch gear but its small enough to manage fairly easily. But by all indications, it is definitely legal to ride with no brakes, provided you feel comfortable enough. I had a cop kick his door open on me after passing me a week or two ago, assuming he wanted to fuck with me and maybe noticed I was brakeless. No contact was made, but it seemed pretty intentional, as he hadnt actually pulled over to the side of the road.

But in NYC they will quite literally give you a court summons for no brakes, i got one once.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015

Could you explain what "not a complete bitch gear" means?

I have a photo somewhere of a half broken chain on Nat's brakeless bike but I can't find it now."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

fffens:I had a cop kick his door open on me after passing me a week or two ago, assuming he wanted to fuck with me and maybe noticed I was brakeless. No contact was made, but it seemed pretty intentional, as he hadnt actually pulled over to the side of the road.

ms paint request?

your chode level just increased by 5x.
    • CommentAuthorbon gripper

Nandy:Could you explain what "not a complete bitch gear" means?

I have a photo somewhere of a half broken chain on Nat's brakeless bike but I can't find it now.

implying that knee pain likely comes from larger ratios that puts more strain on your ability to slow down, ergo "bitch gearing" would be something like a 44x18 or "easier". They are not "less worthy" and one is not merely a bitch for riding an "easy" gear. I'll avoid wildcard, unnecessary phrasings for you guys moving forward. i don't want to upset anyone over their gearing choices. #notallgears
    Nuggetross:
    fffens:I had a cop kick his door open on me after passing me a week or two ago, assuming he wanted to fuck with me and maybe noticed I was brakeless. No contact was made, but it seemed pretty intentional, as he hadnt actually pulled over to the side of the road.

ms paint request?

your chode level just increased by 5x.

Sure ill find a mac based basic painting software. Maybe I can rage comic it. my dick is pretty wide after all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

^10x. be careful chode levels are increasing to dangerous levels.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Wow. Polo-ers must be really bitchy.

I know someone who rides 55x13 and isn't a douche about it."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Wait, what happens when chode levels increase to 100%?
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    for a guy who already admitted to wearing kit to commute most of the time, do you think i actually give a fuck about seeming like a chode?

and yes, shah rides a big gear. and while for whatever reason you just want to pick an argument, i just got done explaining that all i meant was, bigger gears generally mean more resistance to slow down, and probably be the cause for more knee pain, versus, smaller gears. i apologize for insinuating that smaller gears make people bitches, bitchy, bitching, or whatever.

the real point was, perhaps knee pain is due to an improper fit or improper form.

and again, i seriously don't give a fuck what you think about me, ban me if you want
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Just trying to suggest that causal misogyny isn't really that cool, and arguing about ratios is dumb, and brakes are generally a good idea if you're not in a tight pack of fixed riders in a closed circuit."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    Nandy:Just trying to suggest that causal misogyny isn't really that cool, and arguing about ratios is dumb, and brakes are generally a good idea if you're not in a tight pack of fixed riders in a closed circuit.

Ah yes, I forgot bitch is an insult reserved exclusively for women and definitely never men
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

fffens:for a guy who already admitted to wearing kit to commute most of the time, do you think i actually give a fuck about seeming like a chode?

qfc (quoted for chode).
    Nuggetross:
    fffens:for a guy who already admitted to wearing kit to commute most of the time, do you think i actually give a fuck about seeming like a chode?

qfc (quoted for chode).

Signature fixed
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

fffens:
    Nandy:Just trying to suggest that causal misogyny isn't really that cool, and arguing about ratios is dumb, and brakes are generally a good idea if you're not in a tight pack of fixed riders in a closed circuit.

Ah yes, I forgot bitch is an insult reserved exclusively for women and definitely never men

yeah, I can't think of why calling a man an insult most commonly used to degrade women could be insulting to them, but I suspect it might have something to do with unexamined social constructs teaching people that women are inferior, therefore becoming extra insulting to men. Using that word just reinforces that social hierarchy.

Anyway, I think the word you're looking for to describe that gear ratio might be "low"."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

DQ can you be banned from BFG?"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I don't think so, but nothing here warrants banning. This barely qualifies as an internet fight. You should be prepared for a little questioning if you use that word. This ain't Pinkbike."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

fffens:and again, i seriously don't give a fuck what you think about me, ban me if you want

Oh, no, no, no. Nobody's going to *ban* you! We do this because we love you, and because it's highly entertaining.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    You can be banned, but there's nothing stopping you from just making a new account.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorryan t

How about using the word "pussy" to describe something that's weak, like riding in a "pussy gear"? I feel like that word was once used a lot more, and now people are like, hmm I guess it is sort of gender specific. But I guess if you're going to censor yourself like that, it has to be across the board, so you can't use the word "dick" as an insult anymore.