Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015 edited

Well, there's that whole power balance thing, also "dick" and "bitch" are used in different ways and don't have the same weight.

I've never even heard "pussy gear", is that a thing someone says? Like a shittier version of granny gear?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2015

So I can't say "dick whip" anymore?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015

^ No, "dick whip" is merely a descriptive term for the spring-loaded downtube cable that could potentially whip your dick. Nothing gender biased about that term -- it's purely technical.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2015 edited

Look, all I'm saying is that if you want to say thoughtless misogynist things around people who don't question it, there's no shortage of places you can go on the internet. Let's not get to the point of ostracizing and threatening someone for suggesting that there are other ways you can describe a bike's compliance than to a girlfriend after a few shots."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Nandy:Well, there's that whole power balance thing, also "dick" and "bitch" are used in different ways and don't have the same weight.

I've never even heard "pussy gear", is that a thing someone says? Like a shittier version of granny gear?

Haha, no never heard, just hypothetical.

Well the power balance thing justifies black comedians making fun of white people in good taste. I guess some people (not saying you're one of them) think it also justifies hurtful racism/sexism directed back at whites and males as a whole, given our country's history of bigotry. I don't buy into that, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Lololol, yup, I'm all for violence towards white guys because I questioned some white guy about his use of a term intentionally degrading to women. It's all about the white guys."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Nandy:Look, all I'm saying is that if you want to say thoughtless misogynist things around people who don't question it, there's no shortage of places you can go on the internet. Let's not get to the point of ostracizing and threatening someone for suggesting that there are other ways you can describe a bike's compliance than to a girlfriend after a few shots.

Clarification: I'm 100% behind Nandy on this. I just wanted to trick Pocky into saying "dick whip" again. :)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Nandy:Lololol, yup, I'm all for violence towards white guys because I questioned some white guy about his use of a term intentionally degrading to women. It's all about the white guys.

:) Agree with everything you said on here... Just like opening cans of worms.

edit- my pussy gear question wasn't meant to directly challenge what you were saying. Ok I'll shut up now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Oh me too, some people just lose their shit and then I have elevator waiting time entertainment all day."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

With all the talk of banning and power structures and what people can and can't say, I feel like I'm in the Cops Cracking Down thread.

Oh waitI have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

nerdo:Clarification: I'm 100% behind Nandy on this. I just wanted to trick Pocky into saying "dick whip" again. :)

To be fair, I suppose it could also be a "pussy whip". But I do think that's less likely than dick whipping, given the geometry of the situation. Unless you're riding a cutout saddle.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorryan t

ben:With all the talk of banning and power structures and what people can and can't say, I feel like I'm in the Cops Cracking Down thread.

Oh wait

Prejudice against cops.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

It's a free country, you're not immune from criticism. If you really want to use slurs for certain types of people without criticism I hear Stormfront is fairly popular."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    fwiw, just as a final word, i understand and now recognize the aversion to my choice of words. if it makes anyone feel any better, i regularly support women's cycling efforts, and own a "Le Tour Entier" kit that was a fundraiser for the charity by the same name started by Marianne Vos, Emma Pooley, etc to help bring professional women's racing to the same level as men's racing.

as a general rule of thumb, i'll avoid anything that could possibly be viewed as controversial. or you know, actually eat something during my lunch hour instead of working on my bike, as to not get to a point of hunger where i let internet banter get the best of me and actually cave in and participate in that bullshit rabbit hole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

If I buy a Sling Shot frame and proudly emblazon "Pussy Whip" on its toptube, will I get a different kind of attention than if I did the same with "Dick Whip"?

What if I did each on opposite sides? Would people on my left give me a thumbs-up while people on my right gave me the middle finger? And which would be which?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

IT'S OKAY! I don't actually think you're a horrible misogynist. Eat lunch, though. Lunch is good."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    ben:With all the talk of banning and power structures and what people can and can't say, I feel like I'm in the Cops Cracking Down thread.

Oh wait

Hey Ben, when you enter a room, does anyone ever say "IT'S BEN" like the first 2 seconds of "one week" by barenaked ladies?You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    just wonderinYou said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I used to work with a guy who sang my first and last name to the tune of the Hallelujah Chorus from Handel's Messiah every time I walked in. Try it, it actually fits perfectly.

ETA Mormons:
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    paul jameson:

Oh wait

Hey Ben, when you enter a room, does anyone ever say "IT'S BEN" like the first 2 seconds of "one week" by barenaked ladies?

Wheres the like button
    omg you are all so fucking banned

love,'

surprisecopfriesDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Our more or less absent host brandonc said years ago that he opposes banning people. While it is technically a option moderators have access to he basically won't enforce it...
    WELL I THINK ANYONE WHO RIDES A BY-CYCLE DESERVES TO BE HIT
    ALSO THEY DONT PAY TAXES ON THE ROAD SO THEY DONT BELONG THERE

SOMETHING SOMETHING SEATPOST MEASUREMENT i dont remember that one

i dunno i want to fight too, guysYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    ^bannedDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    YOUR BEARD IS BANNEDYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    My beard is eternal.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    A dong is forever.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2015

got pulled over this morning coming down beacon st for running a red just before it turned green at webster. i'm sorry are we not in idaho?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

were you sorry?
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

so fucking sorry that he gave me his stupid joakleys so i could be moar cyclist.
    ARE YOU FUCKING SORRYNaaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2015

Got stopped by a cop at the intersection of Somerville Ave & the beginning of Beacon this morning. I was coming down Mossland and after waiting at the red was the first person to bike through the crosswalk (if you wait out the crosswalk opposing traffic gets a green again and you have to wait another 2 minutes or so).

I didn't say a single word as he stopped me and asked for my license. He said that because I wasn't cursing at him or complaining "WHY ME" or making a scene he was going to give me a written warning. "Doesn't mean anything, you don't have to pay anything, it doesn't affect your license." When he handed it back he explained that he wasn't trying to change the world or stop every single person, but wanted me to be aware that I couldn't bike through crosswalks. He even acknowledged that that light 'sucks' and if I wanted to I could dismount, walk through, and remount and ride away without a problem. I told him I used to do that when I rode Beacon because I knew they had stings there and he said, "Well now you know we're here so you can do the same."

I know people like to be hyperbolic and punk rock and say all cops are bastards but he was actually super nice.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

I've always felt that people who call cops "pigs" or insinuate that all cops are bastards are doing exactly the same thing as people who call bicyclists "entitled" or insinuate that we are some kind of lawbreaking scum.

Most cops signed up for the job because they want to help people and are genuinely doing that. The few who are bastards are what give the rest a bad name. Put the blame where it's due -- on the few who are bastards and the system that has helped them get away with it.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Even if only 1 in 20 cops is a piece of shit, that still means there are 107 BPD officers in our city that you have to be afraid of. (2144 total, via wikipedia.) And they have guns and power of arrest and the ability to beat the shit out of you and get away with it and benefit of the doubt EVEN IF THE INCIDENT IS FILMED.

People who call cops pigs are expressing a fear of and anger over being taken advantage of by the police.

Whereas cyclists are almost never given the benefit of the doubt, etc etc you can fill in the rest.

You're ignoring the power imbalance.

Yelling ACAB is not the same as calling all cyclists entitled.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Massachusetts does not have a law requiring you to provide an ID or license if you aren't driving something that requires it (a car) and they don't have reason to believe you've committed a felony. You have to provide your name and address if they ask, but no need for a license for slow rolling a bicycle safely through an intersection on front of an undertrained officer."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2015 edited

Nandy:Massachusetts does not have a law requiring you to provide an ID or license if you aren't driving something that requires it (a car) and they don't have reason to believe you've committed a felony. You have to provide your name and address if they ask, but no need for a license for slow rolling a bicycle safely through an intersection on front of an undertrained officer.
    And you can get into that fight and possibly have a power-tripping cop decide to harass you - including take you downtown until released without charges if they're feeling particularly shitty - or you can just hand them your ID and be done in 4 minutes.

I broke the law, he was nice, I had no desire to cause conflict for the sake of conflict, and I chose the latter route.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Yeah, it seemed from how you described it he was looking for the slightest excuse to take you down and beat you up and give you a ton of fake tickets, but he didn't because you were submissive enough. What a nice guy."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorben

I don't know if you're being sarcastic or not. He was a very nice guy and I saw no reason to start problems with him for the sake of starting problems with him or measuring my dick. I broke the law, he asked for my license, I had no problem giving it, and he used his discretion to give me a warning and not a ticket.

Your points about not being required to give a license are important to know (I would be interested in reading it somewhere authoritative before implementing them, however) but you seem(ed) to be implying that I should have made the situation more irritating than it needed to be just for the hell of it, and I strongly disagree.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

What if you just kept on riding passed him? Just curious, not saying that's what I would do. Also, Beacon sting operations are a thing...
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I rode right by a police officer who tried to flag me down for running the red at the corner of Mass Ave and Boylston. I was panicked for the rest of my ride that they'd follow me and pull me over, but nothing happened. Technically, I won the battle. But I don't run that red anymore, so he won the war.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2015 edited

ThreePete:What if you just kept on riding passed him? Just curious, not saying that's what I would do.
    nerdo:I rode right by a police officer who tried to flag me down for running the red at the corner of Mass Ave and Boylston. I was panicked for the rest of my ride that they'd follow me and pull me over, but nothing happened.
    I wondered the same thing and thought about it for half a second, and then had the same thoughts as nerdo -- the cops have radios and cars and are around the city, and I had just started my commute. It wouldn't be that weird to be spotted by another cop ("Dude in black tank top, black sunglasses, bike hat, black helmet, black backpack, thigh tattoos, silver bike w/ fenders") at which point things would have been a lot worse.

Generally I follow all traffic laws. I stop at all red lights, I slow down and let peds cross. I also think there are plenty of crosswalks (particularly all-direction crosswalks) where it's very safe to slowly bike through and I do that on occasion. And there were others - like Beacon & Washington - that I always dismounted through. This is another one that I'll dismount for.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Man thanks for the heads up, I always go through during the ped signal there because that fucking light is like an hour long. I even hate it when I'm sitting in my comfy, climate-controlled car with my favorite music (which is now Raffi) playing.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2015

Same cop was there again this morning. Was gonna walk through the crosswalk but the light was green when I arrived.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeAug 7th 2015

^^Teddy bear hugs!
    We have that on vinyl hahahah
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^YESSSSSYO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015

I got a warning for similar behavior last summer. He asked "why did you do that?" Answer: "Because its the best way to not get hit by a car."I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015

I think Chris's experience is the gold standard for police/cyclist interaction:
    chr|s sedition:
    "You look like someone who rides a bike a lot. I just saw you make about 7 violations. Are you aware of the changes in the law from last November? Bike infractions are now exactly the same a motor vehicle infractions. If you get three in a year, your liscens to operate will be suspended. The State is also trying to find out why people ride a bike like you were just doing. Do you need better bike lanes, traffic patterns, driver education, etc. I am only going to give you a warning, so your answers won't change anything into an actual citation."
    ::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    x-posting into a more appropriate thread

bon gripper:Around 6:10p last night
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015 edited

Haha, and you totally Idaho Stopped there, and at a light when there's a freaking bike lane without even an intersection to your right.

Does Brookline PD really not have *any* better places to station themselves at than this -- like, someplace where they'd actually be able to pull over people who are actually risking their own or anyone else's safety? Like maybe ONE BLOCK further down at the Beacon Street/Green Line deathtrap? I've heard of them being stationed there, and that would make sense -- was there another cop when you got to Beacon?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus