Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I would like to make the point that when it's "safe" for a bike to run that light might be because it's the ped phase (which cars blow through a LOT), so I don't think that's OMG THE DUMBEST intersection to police.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015

Ahh, that's a really good point. Although he Idaho Stopped really carefully here, I bet most people don't and then weave through peds.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    yeah, i definitely came to a full stop and made full checks all around before proceeding, specifically because i actually saw the sting set up and i figured they were just nabbing people at the crosswalk only.

ive had a brookline PD officer, at that exact same situation, standing on the sidewalk, literally ask me why i wasnt going because it was safe, and i said theres a red, and he said its fine....

But no other cops around, just that team of two working the crosswalk area.

I'm also 99% sure she didnt actually witness me blow the red, she probably just didnt see me turning left from the intersection, and (correctly) assumed i went through the red. but I didnt even see her watching (again, i was watching them, I saw the sting coming)...
    yeah, Brookline cops are big waver-throughersi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2015

I got nabbed a long time ago in Central for Idaho-stopping near a sting. The walk sign turned and I went with peds but still got flagged. Sadface.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    damned if you do, yelled at if you dont
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2015 edited

They even nabbed a former co-worker who started rolling a little early on a trike with a speed limit of 8mph once. Cambridge sucks."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    A cambridge motorcycle cop once intervened on my behalf when an asshole in a jag was threatening my life. They aren't all bad.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2015

got a ticket for running the red light at the crosswalk for the MIT students on Mass ave right before the bridge. Whats the deal with these tickets? Do I really have to pay it?MUFFDVR
    fmradio516:got a ticket for running the red light at the crosswalk for the MIT students on Mass ave right before the bridge. Whats the deal with these tickets? Do I really have to pay it?

how much of your information is on the ticket? if they have your address, license number, etc i would pay. if they have just your name only, still dodgy but you might be able to get away with it
    The following communities in the Boston area are taking part in a MassDOT grant focused on edu & enforcement:

Brookline, Cambridge, Somerville, Newton, Lynn, Salem, Waltham, Watertown

Given what's happening in SF right now about Idaho stops, it may make it over to the east coast (fingers x'ed)

Also, it's total bull shit you have to show ID - I am especially concerned in regards to immigration and generally it's disconcerting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPaolo
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2015

Ticketing at the corner of Beacon st and Somerville Ave today.
    • CommentAuthorben

I just assume they're going to be there everyday now.

Although it was empty when I rode through at 6:15am today :/I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^shift change
    plus mad earlyWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    so theyre like, yeah fixing beacons not such a bad idea, another spot for us to issue cyclists tickets...
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2015 edited

EDIT: I'm moving out of brookline and moving into somerville.

I hate beacon st., cagers have NO fucking awareness of cyclists and so I make it a point to position myself in the middle of one of the lanes on beacon.

I've gotten ticketed twice here for getting a head start at an 'about-to-be-green' light, while donut guzzling coppers have watched countless morons in cars turn with no signal across the bike lane, double park with no warning on the bike lane, and or near right hook me by harvard st.

But now that I'm moving zero fucks are given. Idgaf anymore, and so if I get pulled over or waved down, I'm blowing right by those pigs and if I miraculously get caught I'll just play stupid and say something something earbuds.
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2015

its definitely a joke of a corner as far as cars and cops go. im glad i moved onto elm and will be coming down mossland, they can never give me a ticket now. fuck pigsI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2015

That intersection is a fucking joke anyway. The lights are so inefficient they should just make it a rotary."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015

A rotary would VASTLY improve traffic through thereI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    • CommentAuthorryan t
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015 edited

ThreePete:EDIT: I've gotten ticketed twice here for getting a head start at an 'about-to-be-green' light

I do this all the time especially at busy intersections, because it seems safer to me than to wait and be mixed in with a bunch of cars that all start moving when the light turns green.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Cops don't care about your safety, only about getting the quotas and discouraging people from riding."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

PSA to our piggy friends:

The sooner bikers can get in the lane they need to be in, the safer it is for everyone on the road - idaho stops make it easier for us to do this..

Oh and "Eat a buffet of dicks", that is all.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

"Noted."We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2015 edited

To be fair, I have had great interactions with Boston cops, specifically the detective who helped me out in the insane Ken Denny case, and BUPD cops in particular who based on my personal interactions with them really do care about trying to prevent BU students from getting killed. Having had a landlord who was a cop and a cousin who is currently a cop, it pisses me off when people lump them all together in one category (the small number of power-abusing asshole cops together with all the good ones who really do want to help people) and call them "pigs", which I consider a derogatory slur.

Full disclosure: I am white.

That being said, please enjoy this photo of a cop on a shitty Schwinn with carbon trispokes.

Can anyone make out what character that is on his ankle tat?::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015 edited

*nervous laughter* oops.

You're right it's incredibly unfair of me to group em all together and just call em all pigs. In fact, I've had great interactions with police too (especially mission hill cops, love you guys).

I think I just dislike BROOKLINE cops, stupid pigs were by tiny's least favorite section of beacon st daggering me, waiting for me to blow the red.

I don't mind boston police, everytime i see them they seem to give zero shits about what I'm doing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2015

Oof.

Let's just hope for sensible traffic engineers and Idaho stop laws so we'll have to deal with fewer bad cops cherry picking laws to pick on cyclists."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

We group cops in one big bucket. Same for drivers. But they do it back to us too...
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

The kosher thing was a little much, though."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Yeah fuck the anti-semitic dig, threepete. Knock that shit off.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    joeyfresh:Yeah fuck the anti-semitic dig, threepete. Knock that shit off.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

sorry joey, nandy - kosher bit was ignorant.

i'm not an anti-Semite, actually am very attune with the Jewish culture having grown up in NYC and Northern Jersey. My parents owned delis and bagel joints in NYC, NJ, and LI. I have several yarmulkes from bar/bat mitzvahs, and >50% of my friends happen to be of the Jewish faith...my parents would not be proud of my choice in words.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

No one said you were an anti-Semite. Not to belabor the point- I'm only saying this because of your reply- so--- You know what, I'm just going to link to Jay Smooth. He says it better than I ever could. It's quick.

And, so you know, this is coming from a guy (me) who used to really piss some people here off with my language from time to time back in '09 or so. Many people here can verify. I learned from them and I say all this with love.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

fuck, that's not the first time someone has linked me this video.
    ThreePete:..actually am very attune with the Jewish culture having grown up in NYC and Northern Jersey. My parents owned delis and bagel joints in NYC, NJ, and LI. I have several yarmulkes from bar/bat mitzvahs, and >50% of my friends happen to be of the Jewish faith...

This illuminates a great point. It does not matter how immersed one is in a given culture.

Blacks can be racist.
    Gays can be homophobic (see any closeted republican).
    Women can be sexist.
    Etc.

The -ism permeate society. They are in the air we breathe. To claim that we are not effected by them is just silly. The key difference is, as the video Joe posted sort of points out, there is a HUGE difference between being a self-actualized, active, and actual racist, and being someone who occasionally does/says something that is racist. One is a state of being. The other is an act, which prolly stems from our immersion in a racist/sexist/etc. culture. The real key is being open the idea that no one, repeat, NO ONE, is 100% free from all racist/sexist/homophobic thoughts/acts. Once that realization has been made, then we can learn from it, and try to reduce the ways in which we •all• perpetuate the -isms.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Sedition for President 2024.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    pocky:Sedition for President 2024.

The time for presidents is over. We've tried smart ones, dumb ones, white ones, black ones...DOESNT WORK!!! What this country needs is a crazy 3rd world dictator.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015

Everyone, I say racist shit sometimes.

Kim Jong Un for crazy third world dictator 2015. DPRK WOOOO!
    • CommentAuthorben

So.... Donald Trump?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorObo

chr|s sedition:
    pocky:Sedition for President 2024.

The time for presidents is over. We've tried smart ones, dumb ones, white ones, black ones...DOESNT WORK!!! What this country needs is a crazy 3rd world dictator.

Then we can man the barricades and deport all the fascists and finally have something that resembles a sane society. So get in the gym, barricades are heavyI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Obo:So get in the gym, barricades are heavy

See, this is my problem with anarchist revolution - nothing good happens to tiny ladies with bad backsi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

^my conundrum about it tooWe'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    Someone needs to tell the strongbros where to put all the barricades.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2015

ThreePete:sorry joey, nandy - kosher bit was ignorant.

i'm not an anti-Semite, actually am very attune with the Jewish culture having grown up in NYC and Northern Jersey. My parents owned delis and bagel joints in NYC, NJ, and LI. I have several yarmulkes from bar/bat mitzvahs, and >50% of my friends happen to be of the Jewish faith...my parents would not be proud of my choice in words.

where on LI?MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorThreePete
    • CommentTimeNov 16th 2015

Nassau County.
    • CommentAuthorryan t

Hehe why do people from New York State or California define themselves by what county they're from. I know a couple people that say they're from Westchester County, which I've never even heard of. Only reason I ask :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I thought people from Jersey group themselves by highway exit."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorObo

Because saying "Westchester county" means "My family makes lots of money. We don't live in the city, but I'm there whenever I want to be, and can get away from the poor people there whenever I want. We think we're special." -- fellow NYerI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

I went to high school in NJ and i just refer to my county. Nobody knows my town.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

ThreePete:Nassau County.

Ok that narrows down half of long island. Whereabouts? I grew up there.MUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorThreePete

fmradio516:
    ThreePete:Nassau County.

Ok that narrows down half of long island. Whereabouts? I grew up there.
    Parents had a factory in Nassau - where they made the dough and sometimes the end product. But the actual establishments were in Suffolk in Centereach and Shirley area.

They briefly lived in Syosset too.