Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

drags:In the past 2 weeks I've seen cop cars parked at the corner of mass and western, mass and prospect, mass and main, main and something (ames I think?)

What I had to ask myself this morning is.. if Cambridge is viewing bicycling as a valid form of transportation, then why in the 2 years I've been riding up and down mass ave every working day have I never seen a double or illegally park car in the bike lane getting ticketed or towed?

I would love to cry foul and say cops are targeting bikers for the money (DOWN WITH THE MAN), but parking half in a bike lane and half in the bus stop in front of wendy's has got to net more than a $20 ticket.

What the fuck gives cambridge?

those people probably dispute the ticket more and then the cop has to show up in court? i guess..

or the cops are just super biased and quota-driven.... which may very well be the case
    Kops nailed my ass tonight at the MIT cattle crossing. Geared-dude was in front of me as we approached the MIT cattle. He was going slow. We both went through red light. He stayed in bike lane. Cars were stopped/backed-up in traffic on other side of cattle crossing. I lane split the cars to pass geared-dude. Then crossed over to the (empty) opposite lane when SUV made lane splitting impossible. Cop was running at me to stop. They had already stopped the geared-dude. Both of the cops were surpisingly nice. I was cited for not only running the red, but "operating to endanger." The cop said, "It seems like you guys without brakes are the ones who run lights the most." I pointed out my front brake to him. He said, "Oh, well, you dress like those people." Yeah. I was fg-profiled. How dreamy. The best part was when the two kops were arguing about what to put down for a description of my bike under the "registration" part of the ticket. They settled on the word "sedition" based on my frame. Too funny. Kop said, "Pretend your in a car, stop at every red light." Yeah. Watch out in Central.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    ^Ha! I guess looking like a hipster is now a liability. Good thing I'm usually in a kit, lookin' totally gay. (Not that I'm calling you a hipster. . .)
    -Robot[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorLHtrustme
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008

Ahhhh shit. All I own is tight black pants...no one gets a shovel at this shit party!
    robotbuilder:^Ha! I guess looking like a hipster is now a liability.

Wasn't it always?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    i think i saw you mr sedition and your geared buddy infront of MIT crosswalk on my way to work. I wonder if they have specific times they are there because I blow that joke of a light every time.
    • CommentAuthorblitzgreeg
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2008 edited

^ Did I fit the "fg profile?"

BTW, my mom, FTW. I have a long history speeding tickets in cars, and various arrests for skateboarding. I sent her a picture of the bike ticket. Her response:

"I am so proud of you-you are still my son-even driving your bike crazy!! Please don't even think of changing!!!
    Love,
    A Very Proud Mom"

Fuck "hockey moms." I've got a "bike mom."All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthormauspad

what's the difference between a bike mom and a pit bull?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

grease stains?dongpincher 1000
    mauspad:what's the difference between a bike mom and a pit bull?

Pit Bulls don't give you christmas presents.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Cambridge cracks down on cyclists
    Keith Colella

Print this article
    Share this article Published: Friday, October 3, 2008

Updated: Friday, October 3, 2008

Traffic enforcers are now taking an aggressive stance against bicycle riders in Cambridge who do not follow the rules of the road, even issuing tickets to violators, Cambridge Police Department officials said.
    Ticketing bicyclists is part of the broader effort to increase traffic safety that began with an education campaign, moved to issuing warnings and now involves handing out citations, CPD spokesman Frank Pasquarello said.
    “This has to be addressed before it becomes a serious problem,” Pasquarello said. “It’s the same roads, so the same laws have to be applied.”
    Pasquarello said the citations, which the CPD began issuing several years ago, have been more effective than previous efforts.
    “People don’t listen to warnings,” he said. “But they’re starting to get the message now.”
    Some bicyclists think tickets are unfair, Assistant Manager of the Cambridge Bicycle shop Arwen Downs said.
    “Some citations are handed out unduly . . . just because cyclists are easier to catch than cars,” she said.
    Downs said the bicycle laws are not enforced evenly, noting that cyclists ride on sidewalks all the time without getting tickets, but will get caught for riding through a red light.
    “Until cyclists are treated just as other riders on the road, [the citations] will be more of an annoyance than anything,” she said.
    Boston bicyclists are not issued traffic tickets because they are considered pedestrians, but bicycle messengers working for courier companies can be given citations, Boston Police Department spokeswoman Jill McLaughlin said.
    Boston Bike Director Nicole Freedman said bike lanes recently installed on Commonwealth Avenue are a sign of progress for bicycle safety. The lanes currently run between Kenmore Square and the Boston University Bridge.
    Freedman also cited a large effort to encourage people to ride bicycles instead of cars, because bicyclists benefit from “safety in numbers.”
    “The more bikes are on the road, the more cars expect cyclists and the less chance there is of accidents,” she said.
    “Good design dictates good behavior,” she said. “Well-designed bike facilities can go a long way in improving safety.”
    Freedman said bike safety is such an important issue because it affects more than just the cyclists.
    “Pedestrians feel like cyclists are endangering them, cyclists feel like cars are endangering them and cars feel like cyclists are reckless — it’s almost a vicious cycle of people pointing fingers at each other,” she said.
    BU needs to address bicycle safety, College of Arts and Sciences senior Andrew Slotnick said.
    “People on Comm. Ave. show pretty flagrant disregard for the rules,” said Slotnick, who rides his bike daily. “You see people flying through red lights all the time.”
    Though Slotnick said bicyclists and cars should not be held to the same standard, he said they should still obey the rules of the road.
    “Riding a bike isn’t the same as driving a huge machine,” he said. “But you still have to take some responsibility.”
    --------------

"Boston bicyclists are not issued traffic tickets because they are considered pedestrians, but bicycle messengers working for courier companies can be given citations, Boston Police Department spokeswoman Jill McLaughlin said. "

What? I thought cyclists were considered vechiles and that's why we could ride in the road. If we were considered pedestrians, we could ride on the sidewalk, but that's illegal.

Not to mention some of the other things that make no sense in this article....
    The Daily Free Press

STAFF EDIT: A ticket to ride

Print this article
    Share this article Published: Friday, October 3, 2008

Updated: Friday, October 3, 2008

Bicyclists can now add one more item to their list of dangers faced when traveling down the road: getting a ticket. When the Cambridge Police Department started to hand out citations to bicyclists, the two-wheeled riders began truly being treated like cars. Because they use the road, it is fair to expect bicyclists to follow “the rules of the road.” This new action will appropriately hold bicyclists to the same responsibility as drivers.
    Cambridge police started to issue tickets as part of a broader plan to increase traffic safety. Some bicyclists may consider the citations unfair, but these are likely to be the same bicyclists who think that the traffic laws do not apply to them. However, if bicyclists were to turn right on a red light, veering through without stopping, they are just as likely to hit a pedestrian as a car. While it may be difficult to cite bicyclists for speeding –– as the Cambridge plan calls for –– it is realistic to cite bike riders for not following traffic lights.
    Getting hit and “doored” by a car, are realistic concerns for bicyclists. A dangerous mindset for bicyclists, therefore, is assuming that all cars, vehicles and pedestrians will see them and take care to avoid them. This is when accidents happen. All road travelers –– pedestrians, cyclists and drivers –– need to pay attention to traffic laws and each other. Pedestrians need to be aware when they cross the street and when bicyclists join them on the sidewalks. Cars need to be wary of cyclists and pedestrians. It is a three-way circle that only works when everyone cooperates.
    The citations need to be distributed evenly and fairly. Sometimes cyclists choose to trek along the sidewalks to avoid cars. But that could prove to be just as dangerous as crossing the street against the traffic lights. Again, when anyone assumes that the other person is acting responsibly, that’s when accidents happen.
    Boston is trying to recreate itself as a bike-friendly city. Cambridge has taken the next step to treat bicyclists more like cars, something that bicyclists should want when they ride on the streets. Riding on the road requires the same responsibility as driving on the road.

--------------------------------

"While it may be difficult to cite bicyclists for speeding –– as the Cambridge plan calls for –– it is realistic to cite bike riders for not following traffic lights. "

Citing cyclists for .... speeding?! What would be the speed limit? The same one as for the cars? Someone should try that going 35/40 or whatever the speed limit is through cambridge.
    •  
      CommentAuthordrags
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2008

I can't tell if this is part of their "...broader plan to increase traffic safety" or following up on the quote from the boston.com story of saying that "bicycling is being taken seriously as a form of transportation ", but I certainly fucking love coming up on pig mobiles parked more than half in the bike lane on a busy street when not only could they simply have pulled over the rest of the way, but the entire stretch of road behind the car to the next corner was devoid of cars and full of parking.

cdrebbel: STOP TYPING 'BREAKS' YOU FUCKTARDS. YOU HAVE NO CREDIBILITY.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks

I also like how they achknowledge dooring as a legitimate concern, yet are increasing ticketing as a response...dongpincher 1000
    •  
      CommentAuthorMatthew X

cindierock:The Daily Free Press
    Citing cyclists for .... speeding?! What would be the speed limit? The same one as for the cars? Someone should try that going 35/40 or whatever the speed limit is through cambridge.

I have a new goal.I wish everyone else were dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

^some one should truely send that pic in to the city... if nothing else than for us to laugh/chuckle at the response
    •  
      CommentAuthorMatthew X

oh man!!

I just realized that that picture was taken in front of my house.I wish everyone else were dead.
    a story:

i was on my way to back bay from central last night. as i approach the mit crosswalk, a lady in a sedan pulls into it. she clearly has no idea what she's doing. i stop completely, get off my bike, and try to decide if i can get by. also, i decided to make a big deal of it. i stand there, arms bent up, as if to say, "what the fuck?" beside her, at the light, is a cop. i ride by, and as i ride away i hear, "hey! get out of the bike lane!" i look behind me, yell thank you, and continue slowly to see what's happening. he turns on his lights. she starts to drive, and he turns them off. she pulls into the bike lane again. he turns on his lights again. i laugh, give him a wave, and ride off over the bridge.

who knows if he would've done something if i didn't make a scene. fact is he at least made some sort of effort, and i'm counting that as a win.You're purposefully attempting to sabotage my degree project. Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2008

Matthew:
    cindierock:The Daily Free Press

I have a new goal.

i have a friend who was pulled over for speeding on a bike in cleveland... 42 in a 35! the police tried to ticket him, but he had the wonderful excuse "how am i supposed to know how fast i am going?"
    on the oxford training rides every time we came to a speed trap (cameras and radar set up to snap your license plate if you were going over 40 or 50 kph) there would be an all out sprint, and more times than not we'd set it off.
    • CommentAuthorHowardR
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2008

another story,

Riding home through watertown square next to the Hess station at 9pm, a state cop pulled over a U-haul truck in the bike lane. The cop was just finishing up the ticket, and as I got 100 feet from the scene the U-haul pulled away, and the cop turned off his lights but was still parked. As I was just going around the parked cop car (my tire was in line with his rear bumper), the cop suddenly pulls forward and pulls a u-turn right in front of me, no lights or turn signal. I scream for him to stop and he stops halfway so I can get around him. I turn around and flip him off, and he pulls me over of course. He I was supposed to stay in the bike lane. I mentioned to him that how could I do that if he was in the bike lane, and if he actually checked his mirrors, he would have seen my blinky light. He paused for a moment, then said "fine", and just drove off.
    chr|s sedition:Kops nailed my ass tonight at the MIT cattle crossing. Geared-dude was in front of me as we approached the MIT cattle. He was going slow. We both went through red light. He stayed in bike lane. Cars were stopped/backed-up in traffic on other side of cattle crossing. I lane split the cars to pass geared-dude. Then crossed over to the (empty) opposite lane when SUV made lane splitting impossible. Cop was running at me to stop. They had already stopped the geared-dude. Both of the cops were surpisingly nice. I was cited for not only running the red, but "operating to endanger." The cop said, "It seems like you guys without brakes are the ones who run lights the most." I pointed out my front brake to him. He said, "Oh, well, you dress like those people." Yeah. I was fg-profiled. How dreamy. The best part was when the two kops were arguing about what to put down for a description of my bike under the "registration" part of the ticket. They settled on the word "sedition" based on my frame. Too funny. Kop said, "Pretend your in a car, stop at every red light." Yeah. Watch out in Central.

I got riding to endager too. That one is easier to contest. Try it. Or keep in mind that it comes out to about 1/2 cent per red light run. Either way, it doesn't come out that bad.I prefer 49x16
    HowardR:another story,

Riding home through watertown square next to the Hess station at 9pm, a state cop pulled over a U-haul truck in the bike lane. The cop was just finishing up the ticket, and as I got 100 feet from the scene the U-haul pulled away, and the cop turned off his lights but was still parked. As I was just going around the parked cop car (my tire was in line with his rear bumper), the cop suddenly pulls forward and pulls a u-turn right in front of me, no lights or turn signal. I scream for him to stop and he stops halfway so I can get around him. I turn around and flip him off, and he pulls me over of course. He I was supposed to stay in the bike lane. I mentioned to him that how could I do that if he was in the bike lane, and if he actually checked his mirrors, he would have seen my blinky light. He paused for a moment, then said "fine", and just drove off.

Bravo. Seriously.I prefer 49x16
    maybe there is a better thread for this, but just wanted to get the word out.

one of my buddies who isn't on here got ticketed for running a red in Brookline, on Beacon outbound between Park Dr. and Coolidge Corner, at one of those sort-of-intersections with lights only for peds and U-turns. like the ones where there's no reason whatsoever for a bike to stop. the ticket was a little over $50.

so watch out in Crookline too now.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009

surprisefries:maybe there is a better thread for this, but just wanted to get the word out.

one of my buddies who isn't on here got ticketed for running a red in Brookline, on Beacon outbound between Park Dr. and Coolidge Corner, at one of those sort-of-intersections with lights only for peds and U-turns. like the ones where there's no reason whatsoever for a bike to stop. the ticket was a little over $50.

so watch out in Crookline too now.

Yikes, thanks for the warning. I hate those intersections; I need to keep speeding ahead to get some momentum for the hill before Washington Street. Stopping there sucks.
    • CommentAuthormeetball
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2009

chr|s sedition:^

The cop is not required to appear at preliminary hearings before a magistrate. What happens is you contest the ticket, and they set date and time for hearings. They call your name out, and you go before the magistrate. Someone who is appointed to represent the State (i.e. legal stunt-double for the cop who issued the ticket) will be there. He will read off the cops report (something like "On 1/1/08 I witnessed Sarah Palin ride a folding bike through a red light at intersection of Abortion St and Coathanger Ave, etc. etc.). The Magistrate will then ask what you have to say in your defense. If there is reason to think a just defense was established, the ticket will be dismissed. If not, you will be found "guilty as charged." And at that point you can appeal to a "real" court, and then the actual kop will be required to appear...and in MA, they usually show up.

are you saying this from experience of getting a bike ticket or a traffic ticket. if you show up to a traffic ticket the magistrate offers a lower charge and then the option to contest in court. then in court judge still sez "you're guilty" but you get the lowered charge anyways. If copper doesn't show up to that second date (he doesn't have to to the first) then case dismissed. cop who tarded out on you does not have to show up for the magistrate, they do for the court, they won't remember you or the incident, keep quiet and take the fine, or point out some nonsense about having been traveling east instead of west as cop just testified and then, once again, case dismissed.

plz.
    or y'could, like, y'know, just not break the law in the first place. derp.
    • CommentAuthormindchalk
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009

out of true.
    • CommentAuthorRMM

Cops have been periodically stopping cyclists in Cambridge for years. I was stopped 5-6 years ago for riding through Central without a headlight.

Usually the cops are not too hard to spot. If you see a cop standing at the edge of a crosswalk or intersection, chances are that he is looking to cite cyclists. If you are aware of your surroundings, you can usually avoid a ticket. I have found that cops in cars do not stop cyclists, it is usually foot or bike cops.

Police in both Boston and Cambridge start busting cyclists in response to complaints. About 10 years ago, Boston cops started citing "couriers" for violations of traffic laws, including a $200 fine for not wearing a helmet. The Boston campaign was in response to a courier hitting and seriously injuring a jaywalker (bank exec) while cutting a lane in standstill traffic downtown. Cops chose to bust couriers instead of jaywalking executives, big suprise.http://euphoriabeforetotalimplosion.blogspot.com/
    ^wait do you mean to imply that the law isn't equally enforced on rich people?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthordas

I got stopped last year in front of MIT. I blew threw the big ped intersection at MIT, and as I came across the other side, one of two cops jumped right into the bike lane and started shouting "pull over, pull over!" It appeared that they were hiding behind a van, about 50 feet from the intersection. I nearly ran him down. As one cop is running my licence and writing my ticket ($20) cop 2 is walking around me and looking me and my bike up and down. Then he proceeded to tell me that I am going to kill myself (this is before i started running a front brake). Anyway, I was getting bummed out and felt like a complete jack-ass. Then I looked down and saw that cop 2 had a really bad Pearl Jam tattoo oh his leg, and I thought, "it could be worse. I could have that tattoo and not realize that its not 1994 anymore." This made the whole situation almost worth it.

Side note: If you ever do get a ticket for running a light, look at all of the other things you can be ticketed for while riding. Some of that shit is pretty subjective.formerly hoot!
    • CommentAuthorT_M
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2009 edited

About 10 years ago, Boston cops started citing "couriers" for violations of traffic laws, including a $200 fine for not wearing a helmet. The Boston campaign was in response to a courier hitting and seriously injuring a jaywalker (bank exec) while cutting a lane in standstill traffic downtown. Cops chose to bust couriers instead of jaywalking executives, big suprise.

Not that it matters, but I believe it was Commonwealth and Berkeley in the Back Bay. The pedestrian, who was in a coma for awhile, also had close ties (through his wife) to the politicos in Boston (i.e. rich and connected).

The aftermath was pretty sucky...
    holy shit, i can only imagine. coma? damn.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorT_M

Yeah... my understanding is he came out of it eventually and recovered, but clearly an unfortunate event.
    kinda like the guy who fell into an upholstery machine?

he's completely recovered.

YEOW!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorBRlAN Q G
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009

seems like the undercovers cops are out in force in central today.
    • CommentAuthorT_M
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2009

Undercover?

Is this like when I got busted by a crossing guard sting operation as a kid?
    My special ladyfriend got stopped for running the red at Beacon and Carlton in Brookline the other day, by a cop guarding the construction there. She said he was pretty nice and just gave her a warning but said it's a $25 dollar ticket.

Of course i have another friend who got a $50+ ticket for running a red on Beacon, so who knows.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    you mean your fianceeeeee?YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    ^first thing that came to mind was the toast...

"To our wives and our sweethearts, and may they never meet."clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    hahaha. yea special ladyfriend=fiancee oooOOoOOooOOOhh!DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    I imagine people saw the article in the Globe about "Muddy River" spending some $$$ to bust cyclists running lights?

Oddly enough I was alerted to it by my classmate who implied it was an article about communities spending money to improve cycling infrastructure.

On a brighter note the article implied the B'line police (is it still true that B'line has more cops per capita than any other city but... Ft. Lauderdale I think it was?) are also cracking down on pedestrians who break the law. That I've gotta see.
    cops are warning everyone running reds and stop signs today, even if you wait for clear traffic. I'd advise everyone to wait for greens today.

Also ticketing for brakeless riding.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010

Craiginpictures:Also ticketing for brakeless riding.

Woah.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

...seriously? I can stop better than half the chumps out there who haven't tuned their bike in years.Fuck yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

Where was this? BU area? I cruised by several down Mass Ave today and they didn't seem to care.Fuck yeah.
    Yep, BU area. but it was Boston police that were doing it.

They said they weren't stopping people for brakeless riding but if they stop you and you don't have brakes, it's a ticket. Like a seatbelt violation or having weed in your passenger seat of a car.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

Hm, I don't wear a seatbelt either. I'm fucked.Fuck yeah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

how can they ticket you for that? there aren't rules against it in MA.