Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

No idea, they asked me where my brake was because I didn't have a rear brake.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010

All you gotta sayascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

So, the other day I was kind of harassed by this dude about not using brakes. I tried to convince him that I was doing it in a safe manner and that I wasn't endangering people. He basically ended with, "I've done a lot of research, dude. Just go read the MGLs, you have to have a brake". He may be surprised to learn that I went ahead and did just that, because I was under the impression that I was not braking any laws.

As the General Laws of Massachusetts pertain to bikes

For the tl;dr version: (7) Every bicycle operated upon a way shall be equipped with a braking system to enable the operator to bring the bicycle traveling at a speed of fifteen miles per hour to a smooth, safe stop within thirty feet on a dry, clean, hard, level surface.

Maybe my interpretation is not what the drafters of this were intending, but I can do this. And to point back to my last post, just because you have a brake does not mean that it is maintained properly and no one is going to take out a tape measure...Fuck yeah.
    Brakeless single speed riding today. Fuck yeah.I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    • CommentAuthorben

cdrebbel:For the tl;dr version: (7) Every bicycle operated upon a way shall be equipped with a braking system to enable the operator to bring the bicycle traveling at a speed of fifteen miles per hour to a smooth, safe stop within thirty feet on a dry, clean, hard, level surface.

Maybe my interpretation is not what the drafters of this were intending, but I can do this. And to point back to my last post, just because you have a brake does not mean that it is maintained properly and no one is going to take out a tape measure...

"Braking system" could easily be interpreted (were the case to go to court) as requiring an actual (mechanical) brake. You could argue that a "braking system" does not necessitate a separate item to perform that function, but I'm pretty sure the 'spirit' of the law would require as much.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthordas

ratattack:how can they ticket you for that? there aren't rules against it in MA.

I feel like the violations that can be checked for bicycles on those tickets are so vague, and the fact that most cops don't really know cycling laws (in my experience), could definitely allow cops to ticket you for not having a brake. I'm not saying it's right, but that's the way it is.formerly hoot!
    yeah, but you can contest that shit. you'll prolly win.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    • CommentAuthorCarter

How much is the ticket for riding w/o a brake?

Craig, did you ask?It's not francois' fault that you weren't looking hard enough.
    also, what happens when you don't pay a brakeless ticket?joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    •  
      CommentAuthordas
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2010 edited

^^^totally agree.formerly hoot!
    •  
      CommentAuthor49teeth

NWA > bone thugsjoeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    •  
      CommentAuthordas

the cops took my license #, when I got pulled over for running a red. I am assuming they'd do the same for a brakeless ticket. if you don't pay, you'll get a notice. If you still don't pay, you'll have a warrant out for your arrest. This happened to an old room mate of mine, who was ticketed for riding his bike on the sidewalk in Brooklyn a few years back. Forgot to pay the ticket. years later we were harassed for drinking a beer on our stoop...cops ran our licenses....and my boy had to spend the night in central booking with nothing but a the 3am cheese sandwich that they give you.formerly hoot!
    what if you don't give them your license number whenever i get asked by a cop for my license for something other than driving a car i tell them i don't have it, as is my right.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    mynameisSHAH:NWA > bone thugs

yeah why do people keep posting that inferior version?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^ it erks me a little bit.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    •  
      CommentAuthordas

mynameisSHAH:what if you don't give them your license number whenever i get asked by a cop for my license for something other than driving a car i tell them i don't have it, as is my right.

I'm not sure, but if theCop wanted to be a dick they may be able to either ticket you or arrest you for being a vagrant, as is my understanding.formerly hoot!
    • CommentAuthortristan

das:
    I'm not sure, but if theCop wanted to be a dick they may be able to either ticket you or arrest you for being a vagrant, as is my understanding.

Show me your papers, citizen.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthormynameisSHAH

^^ unless you were giving major attitude it just wouldn't be worth it for the cop to arrest you for being a vagrant unless he/she actually woke you up sleeping behind a dumpster.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    i killed a woman because i wasn't using a brake and the cops let me go.
    trizzt:
    das:
    I'm not sure, but if theCop wanted to be a dick they may be able to either ticket you or arrest you for being a vagrant, as is my understanding.

Show me your papers, mexican.

oh arizona.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    •  
      CommentAuthordas

formerly hoot!
    •  
      CommentAuthor49teeth

surprisefries:
    mynameisSHAH:NWA > bone thugs

yeah why do people keep posting that inferior version?

because the bone thugs version is funny
    It really pisses me off that they're ticketing for riding brakeless. They call a Bike Safety Summit in response to a cyclist's death, promise to "enforce more" and then ticket riders not doing anything wrong. Most of you know that I'm pro-stopping at stoplights, but ticketing for shit that isn't illegal OR unsafe is harassment. That's not what anyone was asking for.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

central sq bike cop came into CB the other day to get air for his tires and we gave him a little shit about ticketing cyclist.. he said that all you have to do is tell them your name is mickey mouse, and they wont be able to do much about it (of course they COULD but they don't have the resources to go hauling everyone in on bike violations, was his point)...

also i'd argue that the reverse threading on the hub and the lockring create a "system" which allows the rider to brake.
    wait 'till you kill someone. you can't understand.
    Morgie:
    also i'd argue that the reverse threading on the hub and the lockring create a "system" which allows the rider to brake.

i believe that reasoning has been used successfully in the past.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    Carter:How much is the ticket for riding w/o a brake?

Craig, did you ask?

I didn't but I'd assume it would be around the same for most other infractions, i.e. 150 bucks. I wouldn't worry about it since they said they can't stop you for it in the first place.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthorcdrebbel

There's no way it's 150. How much is it for running a red? 25-50? If you got hit for both, max 50-100.Fuck yeah.
    I saw a cop ticketing all the supply trucks that are illegally and very dangerously parked on brookline ave overpass right after kenmore.
    The drivers didnt seem to care, as they really have no other place to park, so I wonder how that will end up.
    One of the drivers unloading even smiled and said hi to me. Weeeeird.
    Morgie:central sq bike cop came into CB the other day to get air for his tires and we gave him a little shit about ticketing cyclist.. he said that all you have to do is tell them your name is mickey mouse, and they wont be able to do much about it (of course they COULD but they don't have the resources to go hauling everyone in on bike violations, was his point)...

I've had friends who had to go to court for lying about their name to a police officer. I would not recommend the mickey mouse defense.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    cdrebbel:There's no way it's 150. How much is it for running a red? 25-50? If you got hit for both, max 50-100.

They may have been lying about that but they said it was 150.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    tinyhonkshus:
    Morgie:central sq bike cop came into CB the other day to get air for his tires and we gave him a little shit about ticketing cyclist.. he said that all you have to do is tell them your name is mickey mouse, and they wont be able to do much about it (of course they COULD but they don't have the resources to go hauling everyone in on bike violations, was his point)...

I've had friends who had to go to court for lying about their name to a police officer. I would not recommend the mickey mouse defense.

you're actually not obligated by law to give your name to a police officer, just don't be a dick about it.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    "My name is _____
    I'm visiting my friend in Boston, I'm from ______"
    ....and you dont have any ID on you.
    ^ Bingo.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    and i always use the name of a kid i didn't like in high school.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    how often do you guys get stopped by cops? yikes.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    i'm a large black man, i deal with the cops at least three times a week.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    Or kill the fucking cop.I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    • CommentAuthorkeepitreal

i believe
    seriously, i have.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    fuck, they could potentially ticket every BMX rider in Boston.
    I know 2 BMXers with brakes here.
    We don't have any system for braking, but really, how the fuck is a cop going to catch me?I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    Fucking racists.
    just bunny hop his car and he'll let you off, guaranteed.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    keepitreal:i believe

honestly, i really don't care if you believe me or not. i don't know you.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    Craiginpictures:Fucking racists.
    just bunny hop his car and he'll let you off, guaranteed.

i would harass every black kid with a flat brimmed hat too if i was a cop.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    Really? wow. I actually feel like it'd be hard to not use profiling, but at the same time I'd try to use my gut more than anything.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthormynameisSHAH

Craiginpictures:Really? wow. I actually feel like it'd be hard to not use profiling, but at the same time I'd try to use my gut more than anything.

i exaggerate, it's actually pretty easy to know who's getting into some shit and what kind of shit they're likely to get into. i have a few friends who are cops and they actually tell me that they profile against white kids more often than not because the odds of certain scripts is that much higher.

doesn't mean i don't get shit all the time though.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    •  
      CommentAuthor49teeth

i got a ticket once while on my bike and it was only 20 bucks...
    •  
      CommentAuthorJack

This has been mentioned before, but if you are unable to properly identify yourself to a police officer they have the right to detain you until they are able to ascertain your identity. It's the law and it makes sense.

Also, I'm sick of seeing selective enforcement of cycling laws. Going through red lights seems to mainly be a danger to self while riding on the sidewalk is mainly a danger to others (e.g. pedestrians). Why, then, do we see folks biking down the sidewalk pass cops with impunity while at the same time see folks getting treated like bank robbers for passing through a red?
    •  
      CommentAuthortone

^ I have to disagree about the sidewalk thing. Riding on the sidewalk is probably more dangerous (to yourself) than going through a red light (Assuming you looked both ways first). Drivers aren't expecting anything on wheels to come out of the sidewalk to cross the street and hence aren't looking for bikers there when they take turns. To answer your question; Perception is why. People perceive running reds as more dangerous then riding on the sidewalk.We are the small axe.