Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

who are these people whose ENORMOUS SINGLE BRAKE LEVERS are ruining their lives?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthordas
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010

^hahaa. For them:

formerly hoot!
    Teensy brake levers? I approve.

anyhow though, I know as well as anyone that reaction time isn't everything. I went headlong into the side of an SUV last august. Stuff happens. However, most of the scary situations I've gotten myself into have been because I've been going too fast.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthormauspad
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2010 edited

^paul e-levers. i hate those things. sorry jono.
    • CommentAuthorben

Marianna, you forgot how un-aero brake calipers are. I imagine the wind resistance slows you down by AT LEAST 1second per every 50 miles, and that can really add up.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    If I'd been brakeless on the marathon ride, i could've finished at least 10 seconds sooner. that shit was ruining my aero position.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    • CommentAuthorjonodavis

I really want to see someone riding brakeless stop their bike so quickly that their body is hurled over the handlebars. BEAT THAT!

Re: the E-Lever
    my favorite part is the squirrel. Otherwise I thinks it's pretty uncomfortable and has less leverage than many other (less expensive) alternatives.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

I'm cool with anything that slows Craig down and makes him more careful. Unless we're trying to weaponize him. Let's hurl him brakeless at the next Tea Party convention.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthormauspad

CRAIG CANNON! he leaves a trail of rainbow sparkles in the sky!
    I am completely okay with this. As long as it involves me running brakeless into sarah palin.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    I don't mean to take away any of Craig's thunder, but...

SQUIRREL?

i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

ratattack:i love when people just think they'll be able to handle something when they've never been in a similar situation. like when i separated my shoulder and showed up to a alleycat pre-party in a sling, lang told me he "just would've carved into it", like me going into the side of an SUV was a failure on my part to react quickly enough.

alright, you go find the kid who did hit a back of a trolley and tell him that you're "confident of your reaction times". because he's a good bike handler and worked downtown for years and ended up with a broken wrist and busted teeth

Lauren knows her shit, people. One day you will break/throw/explode your chain and hit something. It's inevitable. Having a brake helps in this situation, but if we're actually having this debate, nothing else can guarantee that you're gonna stop the way a brake can.
    That said, I don't have a brake on my track bike, and that's my decision. I also have thrown my chain before, and did get a little bruised up. I've also been sideswiped, and rear ended. I wear a helmet now.

Back to the 5-0 and tickets: I haven't seen ANY of those guys out handing people citations for anything. I really don't see what you're all going on about.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    Buckley.:
    ratattack:i love when people just think they'll be able to handle something when they've never been in a similar situation. like when i separated my shoulder and showed up to a alleycat pre-party in a sling, lang told me he "just would've carved into it", like me going into the side of an SUV was a failure on my part to react quickly enough.

alright, you go find the kid who did hit a back of a trolley and tell him that you're "confident of your reaction times". because he's a good bike handler and worked downtown for years and ended up with a broken wrist and busted teeth

Lauren knows her shit, people. One day you will break/throw/explode your chain and hit something. It's inevitable. Having a brake helps in this situation, but if we're actually having this debate, nothing else can guarantee that you're gonna stop the way a brake can.
    That said, I don't have a brake on my track bike, and that's my decision. I also have thrown my chain before, and did get a little bruised up. I've also been sideswiped, and rear ended. I wear a helmet now.

Back to the 5-0 and tickets: I haven't seen ANY of those guys out handing people citations for anything. I really don't see what you're all going on about.

yeah, i've thrown and snapped chains and been roughed up as a result of both. i always have a break now.

as for the cops, i don't think it's very much of a coincidence that they cracked down at the end of the month and aren't to bee seen at the beginning of the next month. it'll be like this for the rest of the summer.joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    Brakeless is dangerous? Pff't, only if you're an idiot who doesn't take care of your bike. This is just more culture of fear shit.
    •  
      CommentAuthor49teeth

jonodavis:I really want to see someone riding brakeless stop their bike so quickly that their body is hurled over the handlebars. BEAT THAT!

Easyyyyy, like this:
    •  
      CommentAuthor49teeth

pros who designed the blockhead stem are not pro enough to fix their saddle :/

•  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Mephlehet:only if you're an idiot who doesn't take care of your bike.
    \
    You know that's most people, right?The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

49Teeth:pros who designed the blockhead stem are not pro enough to fix their saddle :/

It's way easier to CNC a rectangular block than to adjust 5mm bolts.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

jonodavis:I really want to see someone riding brakeless stop their bike so quickly that their body is hurled over the handlebars. BEAT THAT!

jono, i've sorta seen someone do that. more because they were going too fast and didn't appropriately gauge how far away the chain blocking off the road was vs. their ability to stop brakeless, though...but it definitely ended up as a brakeless endo situation!
    hey guys, if you get a front brake and skid and brake at the same time, you can do cool endos and lift your rear wheel off the ground. do it, it looks cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Craig, pay attention.^We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthor49teeth

Buckley.:
    49Teeth:pros who designed the blockhead stem are not pro enough to fix their saddle :/

It's way easier to CNC a rectangular block than to adjust 5mm bolts.

good call.
    Mephlehet:hey guys, if you get a front brake and skid and brake at the same time, you can do cool endos and lift your rear wheel off the ground. do it, it looks cool.

I am really really good at this, actually. Thanks Joe, though.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    My name's not Joe, but okay.
    I meant as in @ joe's "Craig pay attention" but I forgot to quote both.Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    duh
    I ran into a guys car yesterday that stopped suddenly and then I sped off.
    Single speed brakeless wooo!I am Humbert outside the internet, actually.
    as of about 5min ago there's a motorcycle cop watching the intersection by CB.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    is he parked on the sidewalk again?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    yesDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010

go take his picture... last time i did that he left.
    • CommentAuthorBAUMANN
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2010 edited

cops fear cameras.RIDE METAL
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2011

cpd sting this evening on mass ave @ the tracks between vassar and albany streets...
    there was a paddy wagon in front of cambridge bicycle to catch anyone who didn't stop..gone
    • CommentAuthorunit

^ Were they pulling kids or just issuing tickets?
    Wait...stop for the train signal you mean? Or at one of the intersections there?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorgc

no they were catching people who ran the mass ave/vassar st light, the cops were set up at the train tracks so by the time you ran the light you would run right into them, the paddy wagon was for the people who didn't stop for the cops.gone
    oh snap.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    BAUMANN:cops fear cameras.

Just don't record audio unless you have a big old microphone so they know you're doing it...clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    • CommentAuthorsmoothness

or you could wear a placard stating: "i am recording our encounter." i've seen film crews do this when filming street scenes by putting up signs that essentially say "by reading this, you are agreeing to release your image for use in our film. suck it." i'm not sure about the legality of the what the film crews are doing, but i know that as long as you state that you are film, verbally or otherwise in a public fashion, you should be covered. this is totally not endorsed legal advice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

Got to say, at rush hour, it's pretty unsafe to blow the lights at these intersections, or really, you can't, there's traffic!! I'm surprised people are doing it - or maybe they're going across at the crosswalk go moment??

I see one road/fixie conversion buffoon blow them a lot though at Albany. I keep seeing him, passed me on the right one time and circles around till there's no cars, then blows the light, then I have to endanger myself and pass his slow backside. He deserves every ticket that could be found.....just because....

I go through this part of Mass. Ave. several times a day and if I see a cop anywhere I stick to waiting for a green.
    • CommentAuthorObo

If any of you do the twitter thing: http://twitter.com/#!/jobelenus/statuses/115959732585512960I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

And also:

http://www.wickedlocal.com/cambridge/news/police_and_fire/x1804874721/Cambridge-Police-launch-roadway-safety-and-enforcement-campaign#axzz1YSCuiurS
    BAUMANN:cops fear cameras.

Number one rule when dealing the police: Always remain polite and never physically resist a police officer. I say that out of years of experience getting arrested for skateboarding, and as an attorney. Beyond that, know your rights, and *always* hold the police to public scrutiny.

http://www.aclu.org/free-speech/know-your-rights-photographers
    http://www.aclu.org/filming-and-photographing-police

And yes, I've seen them set up at that exact spot on Mass Ave. several times over the last week.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    Cops at Hampshire x Windsor this morning.
    DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    pretty nice bikesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011

^^ I got a written warning there a couple years ago.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011

Last night there was a cop at every intersection along mass ave near newbury / beacon etc
    also every dumb bu bitch's mom not knowing where the fuck she's driving to
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2011

They were there again today in Central Sq.
    The idiots who get stopped were oblivious to the signs of the sting. Running reds and making peds. jump out the way on crosswalks. Waiting by the red lights, as I saw the cops, and watching these twits behave like this made me want to give them a ticket.
    Not bike people these, cracked out commuters, college students, angry people. It was a kind of weird insight in to it. I can see why cyclists get this bad name at times - I mean, we all know that but it was a different sought of realization.
    They do need some bike education. At every light they would pass me on the right and go ahead for me to overtake them moments later. And then they do it again at the next light. There's no queue or line mentality. Just who can push ahead.
    I don't get it....
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2011

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news/cambridge/2011/09/cyclists_racking_up_citations.html?comments=all#readerComm

a lil article followed by some inane comments, and some good ones too. In particular, the guy who differentiates a cyclist unsafely ignoring road laws and those who take into account their safety in relation to traffic/infrastructure is quite sharp.
    • CommentAuthorthejit
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011

cop tried to get me in harvard square this morning, right across from the T.