Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

thejit:cop tried to get me in harvard square this morning, right across from the T.

Tried? u waz evadin?All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    • CommentAuthorthejit
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2011

there was no way in hell i was going to stop for that shit.
    thejit:there was no way in hell i was going to stop for that shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU
    • CommentAuthorObo

josh_truant:
    thejit:there was no way in hell i was going to stop for that shit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L397TWLwrUU

Too. Damn. Perfect.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    • CommentAuthorthejit

this could also be in the DQ thread but: Do you think the cops are focusing more on cyclists rather than cars and pedestrians or its equal?
    • CommentAuthorObo

I noticed at Mass@Prospect that more cars were pulled over than bikes... one was even towed. But lots of car-folk are praising this 'focus on bikes'. As if that is what it actually is.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    thejit:this could also be in the DQ thread but: Do you think the cops are focusing more on cyclists rather than cars and pedestrians or its equal?

i'd imagine the percentage of cars ticketed after being witnessed running reds during these stings is comparable to the percentage of cyclists warned/ticketed for the same. the places where i've seen cops set up and ticketing road users are, for the most part, dangerous intersections where close calls often happen. if there is a perception of more focus on cyclists, it's probably due to a higher proportion of cyclists not following traffic laws in plain sight of police enforcing traffic laws.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

I also heard they are handing out helmets in Boston??? The cops that is. Anyone seen this. I've a report from someone who has seen them doing it.
    • CommentAuthorObo

^I've heard of them doing this. Drivers were pissed about that. As in "Why aren't they pulling them over and giving them tickets." Fun times.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    in amherst, they give out lights and helmets at the police station, but they dont always have em.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

Saffs:I also heard they are handing out helmets in Boston??? The cops that is. Anyone seen this. I've a report from someone who has seen them doing it.

it's true. a guy a work with got one. a cop approached him while he was stopped and said "hey! want a helmet? it's safe!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2011

I just sailed through a cop sting at Prospect/Mass Ave. with a whole bike, less wheels, strapped to my back/back. Given its protrusion, I'd no helmet and they'd just pulled over a bike and car, I thought I'm fucked as there were other cops there too.
    However, they didn't even look.

They must respect Columbus Max tubing.....

As we all should....
    Thought people might be interested in this info...

Somerville PD to focus on bike violations

I tend to behave myself, but if I get a ticket for running the red on the Somerville Ave to Bow St. right turn shunt I will be upset.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthortweedledum
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012

Ugh. I saw this. Don't they have anything better to do? I'm going to excuse myself now before I start ranting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza

It says they're going to start by focusing on Union Square. If that means that they're going to do something about people riding on the sidewalks around blind corners and going the wrong way on Webster, then I'm okay with it. If it means hassling people going through middle of the square on a walk signal, I'm not okay.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    tweedledum:

Ugh. I saw this. Don't they have anything better to do? I'm going to excuse myself now before I start ranting.

go ahead excuse yourself before you sound like an idiot. Cops need to start ticketing cycalists who are a danger to the rest of us. I had a fucking harvard retard jump off a curb the other day and nail my rear wheel. I see fucking shit-dicks every fucking day on their fucking bikes.Take-off everything but your rainboots
    ^i wholeheartedly agree.
    I wouldn't mind seeing them do a little sidewalk-cyclist enforcement (they might want to repaint the "no cycling" tags at curb cuts), but I'm of mixed emotion about some of the other stuff... i.e. it would be nice if they'd enforce the existing laws where idiot-cyclists are creating hazards, but I suspect they'll just start ticketing any cyclist who's technically violating the law.

On the otherhand, this isn't Brookline or Cambridge, and SPD do ultimately have bigger fish to fry. Don't be an asshat in front of them and you'll probably be fine.
    • CommentAuthorObo

prza:It says they're going to start by focusing on Union Square. If that means that they're going to do something about people riding on the sidewalks around blind corners and going the wrong way on Webster, then I'm okay with it. If it means hassling people going through middle of the square on a walk signal, I'm not okay.
    I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorissues

I see fucking shit-dicks every fucking day on their fucking bikes.
    •  
      CommentAuthortweedledum

Stormy Arthur:

go ahead excuse yourself before you sound like an idiot.

Ok now I feel the need to explain myself better. I hear you saying that there are stupid or inconsiderate people on bikes. I dislike the ones who cross intersections and force cars that have the right of way to stop or yield. But I find the general trend to more policing disconcerting. I dislike the idea that I may be punished for taking the same one way street I've been taking for years. And, I guess it's a point of view thing, or maybe sour grapes, but there's this whole thing about being proper or correct, doing things exactly as the rules say, when, with a little intelligence and consideration, we can all get what we want.
    ^ That.All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    ^^ Unfortunately they don't generally hire cops based on their sense of subtlety.

But still, at $20 a ticket they aren't likely going to be super-motivated to keep it up... I suspect/hope we'll see a week or so of actual enforcement + increased likelihood that the cyclist-people creating actual problems will get a measly ticket/talking-to in the future.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012

$20 for breaking a law!
    aresholes charge ya $180 for running a red back home....same for no brakes, no helmet etc.

consider yourselves lucky and don't do something stupid in front of them.
    FRAMINGHAM —
    10 a.m. update Police are aggressively barring cyclists from riding the marathon route.
    Just before 9 a.m. at Route 135 and Union Street an officer on detail clotheslined a man off his bike after a group of cyclists did not heed his command to get off the route.
    Officers did not bar ROTC students running the route in full gear moments later.

articletristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012

grdnstofmnd:FRAMINGHAM —Just before 9 a.m. at Route 135 and Union Street an officer on detail clotheslined a man off his bike after a group of cyclists did not heed his command to get off the route.article
    That is so fucked up.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^^Isn't that after the start time? I think it's pretty stupid to ride bikes through thousands of exhausted people, running what might be the race of their lifetime.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    they were just barely ahead of the runners id assumesomebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012 edited

Don't assume. Do the math.

A cop clotheslined a man off his bike "just before 9 a.m."

The wheelchair riders don't start until 9:17am.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/3/3_1/new-start-structure-for-2011-boston-marathon.shtml

The cyclists were over 4 miles from the starting line.
    http://g.co/maps/95nfy

Please, somebody tell me why tackling someone off their bike was an appropriate fucking measure.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    (i thought the wheel chair went off before 9)somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

people shouldn't push people off bikes
    people shouldn't ride their bike so close to the start of the race
    people should get off their bike if they're riding on a course dedicated for a marathon when asked to by marshals or police
    JimmyJ:people shouldn't push people off bikes
    people shouldn't ride their bike so close to the start of the race
    people should get off their bike if they're riding on a course dedicated for a marathon when asked to by marshals or police

Close enough for government work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Yeah, I'm a crazy radical in that I believe you should deal with assholes non-violently until they get violent with you.
    Our tolerance and lack of outrage at police beating people up for any reason other than the threat of immediate physical harm to them just tells me that we deserve the police state we're devolving into.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Quoting from another thread:

tinyhonkshus:From the MassBike email newsletter:

As many of you may know, each year right before the Boston Marathon many cyclists like to ride the course, as it makes for a pleasant ride. This year the marathon course will be closed at the Hopkinton/Ashland line at 7:30 am so all riders need to be out of Hopkinton center by 7:15 am. This will give the marathon start team the time it needs to complete its build for the start of the race.

Is it cool for cops to clothesline people off their bikes? Not particularly. But the cyclists didn't heed verbal requests to get off the course, and it was fairly well communicated that the area needed to be clear of cyclists hours earlier than "just before 9 a.m." I still contend it was pretty dumb, though I've done some pretty dumb things in my life so I'm not qualified to judge.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorObo

Getting clotheslined sucks. But he didn't deserve it as he wasn't harming anyone. Cite him, fine him, whatever.

I just wish they had kicked us out of the starting pen *after* they closed roads, and not 30minutes *before* they started closing roads. :(I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

I'm certainly not in favor of excessive force, and I've been the subject to high dickery from police officers. But I'm trying to figure out what the police officer's options were at that point. Do you at least agree that it was wrong of the cyclists to be on that part of the road at that time, and that the officer was justified in asking them to leave the course? You can't cite somebody who doesn't stop for you...

FULL DISCLOSURE: My uncle was an LAPD homicide detective, so I don't tend to think all police are bad. By the way, I loved this TED talk about the moral dangers of non-lethal weapons, which addresses the sliding scale of violent intervention by police officers

I think MassBike, or somebody, should work with the marathon organizers to make the route officially open to cyclists during a specific period of time, so that it's clear for everybody when they can and can't be on the road.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez

I thought the wheelchair racers were already on the course at that point?

I'm also not all "rah-rah police brutality!" but I don't see many options for actually closing the roads without someone potentially getting hurt. Bicycles are vehicles, sometimes roads are closed and vehicles can't go onto them. Ignoring the cop and trying to continue onto a closed road isn't going to end well. It's not like (from the report) the cop went on to punch the guy repeatedly. Still, clearly something that would best be avoided (I like Nerdo's suggestion).

We also don't know how fast the cyclist was going. In fact, do we really know anything about this cyclist at all?
    nerdo:it was fairly well communicated that the area needed to be clear of cyclists hours earlier than "just before 9 a.m."

I disagree...what makes you say that?i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    • CommentAuthorObo

^also agreed, there was pretty much zero communication of anything expected of us.I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    if you want to get some brain pain, read the comments on that article!this life may not be for you - ridecrazy
    (ouch, my brain)this life may not be for you - ridecrazy
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

tinyhonkshus:
    nerdo:it was fairly well communicated that the area needed to be clear of cyclists hours earlier than "just before 9 a.m."

I disagree...what makes you say that?

It was all over this site, for one, and all over the several Facebook event pages for the various organized rides. And you yourself posted that the news got passed through MassBike's email newsletter, which can't be small. Is that adequate? Probably not. Which is why I'd advocate for an official "bike window" when non-motorized vehicles can still be on the course without violating any laws. Let's not forget that riding the marathon route is entirely illegal and unsanctioned by the race organizers. I think that they would argue that the road closure itself implicitly communicates that bikes need to be off it.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    Er, illegal when the roads are closed, you mean?

I imagine they don't want to encourage large crowds of cyclists showing up (more than there are already). The more cyclists there are the more likely you'll have problems with stragglers who don't want to go offcourse to get home?
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Yes, illegal after the roads are closed. Sorry.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    police is rolling deep in coolidge corner

watch out
    • CommentAuthor•••

I just saw a 50 year old looking commuter lady get pulled over for running a yellow->red at on somerville ave at the prospect/somerville ave intersection in union square.

I for one am glad the police took that menace to society off the street.
    i saw someone "pulled over" and showing her ID at what i affectionately like to call "evan's shunt" (on bow, just before b11). i'm guessing it was a run red, but i didn't witness what happened.
    Goddamn pigs better not be fuckin' with my shunt.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

I have to ride through Union every day and haven't seen anything yet. Guess it's time to start looking out.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries