Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorDoubleL
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012

I haven't seen anyone actually pulled over yet, but I saw a TON of cops on my ride this morning. Hanging out in a few key Somerville intersections (didn't see any right in Union though)
    • CommentAuthorben

What time do you commute?I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorDoubleL

Wasn't commuting, was out for a ride at around 8:15/8:30ish?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

Ride faster, problem solved.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthortyler

that new somerville ordinance brought a question to my mind : if you're in boston, and you're "pulled over" must you show proof of id? My assumption was yes, but the article seems to make a differentiation of that rule now for somerville, which begs the question for other cities.
    not trying to start a goddamn shitfight, just curious of my rights as a cyclist in these pressing times.
    I have heard both that you don't need to show ID since you don't need to be licensed to operate a bicycle, and that if you refuse to provide a cop ID they can take you in until they establish your identity at the station.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:until they establish your identity at the station.

aka "until you realize you'd really like to go home and so you give in and tell them who you are."

It's not like they can magically determine who you are.
    nuh uh they always do it on CSI in like 30 secondsDFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2012 edited

Fair enough, if your fingersprints are on CODIS on record or whatever.

Some of us have been good.
    i thought they used semen.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Cheez:Some of us have not been caught.
    We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I wonder how long they'd hold you if they brought you in and you still refused to provide ID. They'd have to bring you in front of a magistrate eventually... I would think within 24-48 hours (depending on if it's a weekend or a holiday or something like that). And there's a presumption of bail... but maybe they could hold you in contempt?

Anyway, clearly none of this would be worth it for a $20 ticket (or a more expensive ticket, even). I've been pulled over driving with no license on me a number of times, and if you're cooperative and they can look you up, it's never ended-up being a problem (despite being an arrestable offense, admittedly this always involved local MA police, MSP are intense assholes). If you give them your address, etc., but don't show ID, I think they'll let it slide.

joeyfresh:
    Cheez:Some of us have not been caught.

You said it not me.
    ITS CALLED A JUDGE. YOU'RE IN 'MURRICA NOW.YO NOT EVERYBODY GOES TO EAR SCHOOL OK
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012

they can hold you for 48hoursI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley

In other news, I saw a police officer at Hampshire and...Columbia? standing at the light, clearly looking to pull over cyclists. Someone blatantly blew the red right in front of him and nothing happened. Weird.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh

Obo:they can hold you for 48hours

You can hold me for 48 hours too, Obo.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    • CommentAuthorObo

joeyfresh:
    Obo:they can hold you for 48hours

You can hold me for 48 hours too, Obo.

Those who aren't fresh need not applyI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    •  
      CommentAuthorprza

I got got at Hampshire and Windsor a few years back.

Remember though, even if you give your real name and get the $20 ticket, they can't do anything to force you to pay it. There's no enforcement whatsoever.Amos is something like a phenomenon. If you'd really seen him you'd know it. You almost have to have to be granted permission. Ask anybody.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012

prza:There's no enforcement whatsoever.

Not entirely true. You can run into problems if you need to renew a drivers license in the state of the infraction. A lot of times these will pop up and you need to pay them before you can renew ID's/licenses. This sometimes applies to out of state cases as well.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012 edited

I haven't heard anything about what's happening in practice, but I thought the language of the bike laws says a ticket shouldn't have any effect on your license (which presumably means they can't mess with your ability to renew, although I suppose it could be interpreted to mean it doesn't count as a point against your license for insurance/suspension purposes).

If anyone's run into this problem I'd at least try raising the issue with the Registry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

Right, I think it depends on state, maybe even county. I know it had been an issue for a few people in the past, but I'm not 100% what it is currently. If it isn't a license thing, I know it can come up in the future however. Something to consider when choosing not to pay!Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    • CommentAuthorDoubleL

There is a bike cop who has parked himself smack in the middle of union sq. haven't seen him get anyone yet, despite spotting a few folks going in the wrong direction and a couple blowing lights...weird.
    I know this has already been argued to infinity but you can also just sack or ovary up and pay the $20 because you did break the law and you got caught.

Or just like, don't run reds.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    surprisefries:I know this has already been argued to infinity but you can also just sack or ovary up and pay the $20 because you did break the law and you got caught.

Or just like, don't run reds.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    chr|s sedition:
    surprisefries:I know this has already been argued to infinity but you can also just sack or ovary up and pay the $20 because you did break the law and you got caught.

Take-off everything but your rainboots
    Stormy Arthur:
    chr|s sedition:

•  
      CommentAuthorissues
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012

DoubleL:There is a bike cop who has parked himself smack in the middle of union sq. haven't seen him get anyone yet, despite spotting a few folks going in the wrong direction and a couple blowing lights...weird.

Goddamn I hate people on bikes going the wrong way/against traffic. It really fills me with the rage, more so than running reds.

And I suppose doing a red light sting for vehicles running reds in conjunction with a bike crack down would be out of the question.
    issues:
    DoubleL:There is a bike cop who has parked himself smack in the middle of union sq. haven't seen him get anyone yet, despite spotting a few folks going in the wrong direction and a couple blowing lights...weird.

Goddamn I hate people on bikes going the wrong way/against traffic. It really fills me with the rage, more so than running reds.

And I suppose doing a red light sting for vehicles running reds in conjunction with a bike crack down would be out of the question.

they have been parked in central infront of Awe Boon Payne and outside of porter infront of the Him-A-Layin restraint pulling over cars for running reds, and illegal turnsTake-off everything but your rainboots
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012

^Yea, they do that from time to time. But haven't seen them lately (My office is directly above ABP, and I'm really good at window-gazing)I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    I've seen 2 cars pulled over in the last week at that intersection, as In I watched the cops pull the cars overTake-off everything but your rainboots
    Sounds like Somerville cops were mostly giving out tickets for going through red lights.

Gotta love the comments section. Clearly most of 'em don't live in Somerville (or they'd know how bad Somerville drivers are, the dude on the corner of Oxford and School sometimes goes the wrong way up School to get to Oxford rather than driving 150ft or so the right way and turning on Berkeley. Motorists regularly blow through the stop sign coming around from Somerville Ave into Bow St).
    Dear lord, that is the least head-exploding bunch of comments I have read on boston.com in a long time.

Cheez:...the dude on the corner of Oxford and School sometimes goes the wrong way up School to get to Oxford...

Ted?DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    Fair enough about the comments, although that's only in comparison to the usual insane level of vitriol aimed at cyclists (or just about anything else).

It's totally Ted. I'm going to get you someday, and your little dog(s) too!

(full disclosure: it's the guy across Oxford from Ted)
    ^&^^ hahaha! we're cat people here, the little dogs belong to the salmoning drivers. the shit some people pull in this general vicinity is appalling. it was us, however, when the parking brake on my gf's jeep failed (our very first night in this apartment!) and she'd forgotten to curb the wheels hard and the jeep popped out of gear and rolled from school onto oxford. came out to see what the commotion was and saw a line of cars honking at a very obviously unoccupied vehicle.
    Man, a few years ago a friend's parking brake failed in my parents' (steep) driveway. That's some scary shit.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012

Stormy Arthur:I've seen 2 cars pulled over in the last week at that intersection, as In I watched the cops pull the cars over
    oooooooh cars... yea i dont pay attention to thoseI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Yikes! That sounds like my bi-monthly nightmare (during street cleaning season when I often park on School).

My e-brake was having some issues when I first moved here and the part of School St above Ted's is so steep the engine would turn over with the car in gear. It was really weird sitting in it... it would be stopped, then sloooowly roll forward and stop (creaking along the way), then stop, and repeat.
    intersection of broadway and hampshire in cambridge, there is a cop standing on the sidewalk, and when a bike rides through the red, as many do at that intersection, he just steps into the bike lane and stops them. i stopped at the light and a guy zipped past me through the red, and i watched it happen.tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkatdaley

YES. There wasn't anyone there when I rode through that intersection to get to work this morning, but I am so happy about this. It is rare to see people stop there.Behind my Game Boy™, I got game, boy.
    ^^^Holy crap. I still haven't been able to convince Mrs. Fries that yes, we should be leaving our car in gear, in addition to e-brake and curbed wheels.

< pedantry>
    Cheez:Yikes! That sounds like my semi-monthly nightmare (during street cleaning season when I often park on School)...

< /pedantry
    :)DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    ^your hill has to be at least as steep as mine... tell her our story, hopefully it'll help!
    • CommentAuthorObo

Man caught almost stealing a bikeI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    I know, and I will! But last time I tried, it was, "I drove manual for 8 years and never left it in gear and never had a problem, how long have you been driving stick? Eight days?"DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

grdnstofmnd:intersection of broadway and hampshire in cambridge, there is a cop standing on the sidewalk, and when a bike rides through the red, as many do at that intersection, he just steps into the bike lane and stops them. i stopped at the light and a guy zipped past me through the red, and i watched it happen.

Haha!
    Fun to watch I bet. and satisfying. As well as the attitude, they deserve it for being unobservant. The two go hand in hand I guess....
    •  
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited

surprisefries:^^^Holy crap. I still haven't been able to convince Mrs. Fries that yes, we should be leaving our car in gear, in addition to e-brake and curbed wheels.

< pedantry>
    Cheez:Yikes! That sounds like my semi-monthly nightmare (during street cleaning season when I often park on School)...

< /pedantry
    :)

That too... oddly enough I was thinking about it after I posted and realized bimonthly might mean every 2 months, rather than twice a month... semi-monthly seems imprecise though (in that I would think it could mean three times a month).

Stupid language.

I have to admit I have a really hard time waiting for the light turning from Hampshire onto Broadway. Thankfully I'm also pretty observant and would've noticed the cop (and I usually stop or at least slow to a crawl at that light, increasing the odds that I'd see the cop standing there).
    Cheez:
    I have to admit I have a really hard time waiting for the light turning from Hampshire onto Broadway. Thankfully I'm also pretty observant and would've noticed the cop (and I usually stop or at least slow to a crawl at that light, increasing the odds that I'd see the cop standing there).

^I am the same way, but stopping this morning felt really good after watching that guy get stopped by the cop. *positive reinforcement*tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    I rode through there today and didn't see shit. Moral of the story is, go into work later.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorObo

surprisefries:Moral of the story is, go into work later.
    Winning at lifeI ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    I don't understand all the rejoicing at watching other people getting ticketed for riding their bikes. Of course there are unsafe riders who are violating laws, but most of this enforcement is entirely arbitrary and unneeded.
    so when you see a car run a red light while you're driving, you arent happy to find them pulled over a block later?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.