Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

In spirit I agree with you, at least in the sense that I think there are far more important fish to fry... but the people in question were going through red lights, which we are legally required to stop for (and hence they were ticketed for violating the law, not simply for riding their bikes).

Furthermore, there was no subterfuge on the part of the cops... in Cambridge they tend to be right out in the open where everyone can see them.
    To be fair, I'd like to see a lot of car drivers run into any kind of trouble that could pop up, and taking some folks off the road for any period of time is a blessing. However, a lot of motorists are safe and responsible with their vehicles, not to mention a lot of people need to drive cars/trucks for work or commuting.

While I don't personally drive, I wouldn't be happy to find a car pulled over if they treated a red light like a stop sign (I do this all the time), as long as this is safe to do in the situation. There is no inherent good in law being enforced.
    •  
      CommentAuthorseanile mick
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012 edited

witte fiets 65:There is no inherent good in law being enforced.
    wait..what?

do you happen to wear a green skater-style helmet?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012

^Haha.We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

I'm one of those people who usually stops at reds out of principle and because I want narrow-minded drivers to have respect for my vehicle, but I think the general obsession here with almost completely unnecessary traffic laws is stupid. A few cities in Europe have it figured out
    It's never useful when they decide to loudly announce that cops are targeting cyclists, while it's no problem that literally every other car driver has a phone glued to their head and the bike lane is just bonus parking and the door lane. Seriously misplaced priorities in my opinion."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    seanile mick:
    wait..what?

do you happen to wear a green skaer-style helmet?

No, do you happen to wear a police uniform?
    •  

i agree the priorities are misplaced and all that jazz...but looking at these few things the discussion stands that the cyclists cant do much about where they put themselves: cops are standing on a corner waiting for cyclists to break the law, when the cyclist breaks the law they get pulled over, no bitching should ensue because they knowingly broke the law.
    im of the school that the laws should be different for cyclists, but for now they arent and i/they/we take a risk by breaking them, if i got caught for running a red in front of a cop that is likely in an obvious spot..i deserve it. and i certainly wont complain if it's only $20.somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

Ok. Here's a good scenario from a few years ago. I was crossing a road behind the Middle East. I was carrying a load of laundry. A SUV sped down the road (Green St) as I was on the crosswalk by a stop sign. They blew the Stop sign at speed almost hitting me. The made a car stop going the other way (no stop sign). I looked at the car that skidded to a stop. Well, well, it was Cambridge Police! The SUV stopped the next block when a State Trooper on a detail made them. The CPD police car was quickly behind them. I'm sure they both had something to say to the confused, lost driver - as they appeared to be as I went to observe.

They deserved it. Same with a cyclist that almost knocks you down, on your bike, while you wait at a light. Then they run the red causing cars swerve, etc. They give us a bad name.
    I like to see them get tickets, yes.....
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

seanile mick:
    wait..what?

do you happen to wear a green skater-style helmet?

hehe.....
    I don't see how you getting a $20 fine for "running a red" in a safe and responsible manner (not endangering yourself or others, not disrupting the flow of vehicular traffic that has the right of way, not disrupting pedestrians who have a crosswalk) is somehow "deserved" due to the visible presence of a heavily-armed person wearing a particular outfit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSaffs

Cheez:In spirit I agree with you, at least in the sense that I think there are far more important fish to fry... but the people in question were going through red lights, which we are legally required to stop for (and hence they were ticketed for violating the law, not simply for riding their bikes).

Furthermore, there was no subterfuge on the part of the cops... in Cambridge they tend to be right out in the open where everyone can see them.

They are VERY obvious. If I got a ticket, and didn't see them, I probably deserve it alone for not being observant enough to see them....
    seanile mick:I'm of the school that the laws should be different for cyclists, but for now they aren't and I/they/we take a risk by breaking them, if I got caught for running a red in front of a cop that is likely in an obvious spot... I deserve it and I certainly wont complain if it's only $20.

In Cambridge I think it's a lot more than $20, but I agree with the above.

Furthermore, while I personally believe there are laws that are so wrong they should be broken, traffic laws do not qualify.

It's not like you can't request a hearing and go tell your sob story to the clerk magistrate... I've gotten out of a few MV tickets that way.
    • CommentAuthorJimmyJ

^^^the law doesn't say it's not a red light if you don't think it is.
    red's red.
    and it's illegal to run a red.

what part of that don't you get?
    seanile mick:
    wait..what?

do you happen to wear a green skater-style helmet?

I don't want to be confused with this wingnut, so just to be clear, I *do* have a green skater style helmet, but it is army/OD green, NOT bright green. And my studded belt is black, not white, AND I don' buzz pregnant ladies in crosswalks; I kick them. :)All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    •  

witte fiets 65:I don't see how you getting a $20 fine for "running a red" in a safe and responsible manner (not endangering yourself or others, not disrupting the flow of vehicular traffic that has the right of way, not disrupting pedestrians who have a crosswalk)
    running a red has no business being in quotes, you either do or don't go through it. which is the line that law defines. i often break this, in the exact manner that you're stating you do, but NOT in front of a cop. if i do, and i get pulled over and given a ticket, ill likely feel like shit and complain when i get home, but i deserve it for not being observant, and for taking the risk and breaking the law knowingly and willingly.

edit: let's face it, if you can't notice a cop when you're "not endangering/disrupting/being disrespectful", you're doing it wrong and obviously not as observant as you think you are.

witte fiets 65: the visible presence of a heavily-armed person wearing a particular outfit.
    you mean.."law enforcement officer" right?somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    • CommentAuthorDoubleL

seanile mick:im of the school that the laws should be different for cyclists, but for now they arent and i/they/we take a risk by breaking them, if i got caught for running a red in front of a cop that is likely in an obvious spot..i deserve it. and i certainly wont complain if it's only $20.

+1 for this. I'm with you on this one Sean, I don't agree with how the laws are either, and they should be different for cyclists, but, that's not how it is right now. And no one is going to be eager to switch to a model where the laws are suitable to cyclists such as what they do in Europe if we can't work within the laws that currently exist.

Do I run reds sometimes, when it is safe to do so? Sure. But I acknowledge the risk and accept that I might get hit with a ticket. If you're running a red, you're breaking a law, whether you think you're being safe and responsible or not has nothing to do with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

I run most reds that I can safely continue through, while looking in every direction to make sure my ass isn't about to get flattened. It works pretty well for me. I DO have a problem with those people that just blast out into an intersection/across the road/IN A CROSSWALK without looking, or appearing to even notice that they're on a bike. They're usually some MIT student-math genius wearing frameless glasses or something similar. Somehow those people are constantly getting hit by cars without serious injury, but not receiving tickets, or even aware that other people ride bikes too.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    witte fiets 65:I don't see how you getting a $20 fine for "running a red" in a safe and responsible manner (not endangering yourself or others, not disrupting the flow of vehicular traffic that has the right of way, not disrupting pedestrians who have a crosswalk) is somehow "deserved" due to the visible presence of a heavily-armed person wearing a particular outfit.

It's deserved because the average jerk-off isn't smart or careful enough to run a red in a "safe and responsible manner." What Buckley said above me is the logic coming from a person who is not an average jerk-off, and has some city riding experience. I want the average jerk-off to get a ticket so he thinks twice before running a red, not get killed the next time he blows a red and gets t-boned by an Escalade.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

josh_truant:I want the average jerk-off to get a ticket so he thinks twice before running a red, not get killed the next time he blows a red and gets t-boned by an Escalade.

This bears repeating.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    Cheez:Furthermore, while I personally believe there are laws that are so wrong they should be broken, traffic laws do not qualify.

Agree so muuuuuuuuuchi mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy
    Buckley!:I run most reds that I can safely continue through, while looking in every direction to make sure my ass isn't about to get flattened. It works pretty well for me. I DO have a problem with those people that just blast out into an intersection/across the road/IN A CROSSWALK without looking, or appearing to even notice that they're on a bike. They're usually some MIT student-math genius wearing frameless glasses or something similar. Somehow those people are constantly getting hit by cars without serious injury, but not receiving tickets, or even aware that other people ride bikes too.
    All you white kids look alike when you're still covered in baby fat, so I was getting bored with the non-stop WASP parade.
    geez guys, why are you always ganging up on the new people?!?!somebody turn the lights off on this place already.
    Yawn. What rousing, intellectual discourse guys. Just give a fake name and be on your way, Christ, big deal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012

And make sure to yell "smell ya later". The fake name I give is Nelson, obviously.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012

Buckley!:And make sure to yell "smell ya later". The fake name I give is Nelson, obviously.

golden idea.. i always go with brian buckley...
    In college my dorm had a default fake name/room number to give to Camp Sec, maybe we could institute something like that here.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012

grdnstofmnd:intersection of broadway and hampshire in cambridge, there is a cop standing on the sidewalk, and when a bike rides through the red, as many do at that intersection, he just steps into the bike lane and stops them. i stopped at the light and a guy zipped past me through the red, and i watched it happen.
    I saw the cop there with people stopped earlier this week, too. No one waits there. Normally I'm an impatient SOB and would go through a light like that, too, but my commute is ~9 minutes so it's hard to justify the rush. Instead I sit at the light and get buzzed by dumbos zipping through next to me.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorjoeyfresh
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012 edited

surprisefries:In college my dorm had a default fake name/room number to give to Camp Sec, maybe we could institute something like that here.

Please go on...
    We'll get you a cat, don't worry -t-honks
    I cannot disclose WIBSTR secrets.

Let's just start giving cops Pfist's name and 1060 W. Addison Street.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012 edited

surprisefries:Let's just start giving cops Pfist's name and 1060 W. Addison Street.
    "Son, are you trying to tell me that your name is "Bare-in, Fag-rot"?"I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    • CommentAuthorMJ
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012

Lots of cops down by Coolidge over the last week.

Saw a guy get pulled over as I was waiting at a stop light with the cop a lane over from me; the guy blew through the light and lights went immediately.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012 edited

One of the cops working the coolidge corner rushhour detail last week was the cop who responded when I got attacked by a jogger.

I also sort of know one of the lady cops who works the late shift, because every year the midnight ride and the Halloween ride seems to land on her shift.

There's a youngish lieutenant, I think, who responded when I was on the BU bridge taking the full lane and someone sideswiped me, nearly sending me into the jersey barriers. Haven't seen him on the traffic detail yet.

Brookline is small enough that if you've had a crash and one of their officers responded, you'll probably see them again. Never hurts (pardon the pun) to be super friendly and "remember" where you last saw them if they're working one of these details. Maybe the point will sink in some time.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Oh yeah, also: if you're thinking of giving a false name, you're risking jail time. The law change upped the penalty for false address/name, and it wouldn't surprise me if they do an address check over the radio for you.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2012 edited

Er, you had a Brookline cop respond on the BU bridge? Must be the weird Boston/Brookline compact (I can't remember the exact distance, but the cops can respond, to crimes at least, a certain distance over the border into the neighboring community... and keep in mind that's not for chasing people, that's for crimes committed in the other jurisdiction within the prescribed distance).

Brookline also has a pretty large police force (relatively anyway, looks like it's 140 officers), so I wouldn't count on seeing the same cop again.

All that said, Brookline is one of the toughest when it comes to enforcing traffic laws that apply to cyclists. Not just periodic "sting" operations to catch and ticket the scofflaws.
    Bee is a narc.You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    Narcs have the best drugs [via confiscation].DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthorbee

Cheez:Er, you had a Brookline cop respond on the BU bridge? Must be the weird Boston/Brookline compact (I can't remember the exact distance, but the cops can respond, to crimes at least, a certain distance over the border into the neighboring community... and keep in mind that's not for chasing people, that's for crimes committed in the other jurisdiction within the prescribed distance).

Brookline was where I found the first payphone to call 911, and the call was routed to them because it was a landline.

I'm well aware that Brookline has some of the strongest enforcement in the area, and I'm not happy that's how they're prioritizing things either. However,the cop who responded was, aside from being powerless to do anything because it happened on the mass ave bridge which is state police territory - one of the more understanding and interested-in-trying-to-help officers I've spoken to. He even took some feedback in stride about how much it pisses off cyclists to see cops parked in bike lanes when they're not on 'business' - agreed it wasn't kosher and that he could see how it would annoy us.

Also, like I mentioned previously, the lady cop I've run into 2-3 times on midnight rides has been downright friendly and when the ride has gone through, they've approached organizers and basically said they just wanted to know where we were headed so they could be prepared.

That said, it's a shame they feel a victimless $20 civil traffic violation is worth chasing someone down, tackling, and criminally charging over.Ignorance: [i]see hybrid bicycle[/i]
    • CommentAuthorObo

kosher.. brookline... i see what you did there...I ONLY WEAR CAMPY CONDOMS WITH WHITE WRAPS - joeyfresh
    Yuk yuk yuk...

^^I thought you said it was the BU bridge? But I suppose the same is probably true... never occurred to me that the bridges over the river would be state jurisdiction.

Is it actually a $20 fine in Brookline? I thought it was more there... like over 100.

I've both seen the Brookline police be stupidly dickish for no real reason (goes with the cop territory I suppose, some percentage are just jerks) and be surprisingly nice (one of my friends once got pulled over driving his gf's car on Beacon Street, when he had no license, in the sense that he'd never actually had a driver's license despite being pretty old... I drove down there to get the car and hopefully bring him back, and when I got there the cop had decided to let him drive the car back to her house anyway... probably didn't hurt that her father was a pretty prominent guy, but still!)
    cop on the corner of broadway and hampshire this morning on my way into work.tristan - thats fucking rad dude, I'm happy for you.
    •  
      CommentAuthoreclip5e
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012

I just got $20/ticket at the intersection listed above.

I stopped at the light, and started pedalling early as the cross-light turned red. He stopped and ticketed me.

Anyone know if the violation goes on my driving record?hi i'm ron.
    My understanding is no, it doesn't (shouldn't affect things with the registry/mv insurance at all).

Clearly you technically broke the law and all... not saying I don't often do the same.
    PS: was he actually in a position to see the red light? Could arguably be on either side of the intersection.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

Watched someone ride through a red with cross traffic like a jackass yesterday, causing cars to swerve/hard brake to avoid hitting them, and then get waved over by the cop waiting on the other side of the intersection and written up. Highly justified ticket.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    • CommentAuthorthejit

not exactly sure if the same thing goes for MA, but i got my license suspended in NYC for not paying tickets i received on my bike
    From what I've heard the MA law specifically says it has no effect on your status with the RMV (cities and towns were kinda pissed about it I think).
    •  
      CommentAuthorStinky Cheez
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2012 edited

PS: also, unless something's changed they don't suspend your license for not paying MV tickets in MA, they just won't let you renew without paying-up (and even then they send you notice telling you they're going to report you to the RMV if you don't pay up, so you have a few opportunities).
    • CommentAuthorben
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2012

grdnstofmnd:cop on the corner of broadway and hampshire this morning on my way into work.
    Cop at Hampshire and Windsor this morning - no sign of anyone at Bway and Hampshire.I have DTF pants. They're crotchless. -surprisefries
    Slightly further afield, but a little FYI for anyone who ever rides Meadowbrook Rd in Weston (only been there once myself, and I wasn't leading the way... the description is somewhat accurate... tons of cycling groups, and there are places where golfers are hitting the ball across the road):

Police to keep cyclists off private Meadowbrook Rd in Weston on weekends
    Hah, don't bother to actually check whether this guy is wrong about bike laws, Ellen Ishkanian, that might be verging on journalism.i mean that looks like a 10 cat bag, easy