Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008

So living in Boston without a car any one know any nice spots to do any trail riding? I'm more so looking for more technical/freeride/DH/DJ sorta trails if their out there. Even parks or places with staircases and such, places were you wont be kicked out in 3 seconds. I know blue hills is a good place for local trails but riding a mountain bike out there, riding the trails and then having to ride home is sorta a pain.

I live around Cleveland circle so things around Brighton/Brookline would be awesome. Anyone know if the Hammond pond reservation area has bike friendly trails? That isn't far at all and what I've found so far is there's good spots for bouldering but that's no help to me. There's also Stony brook reservation which isn't too far. Any tips are appreciated.Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    I don't know anything about the places you mentioned, but freeriding in the city is easy, just find a hill and start looking for lines. I have found some great ones in sommerville and charlestown, it just takes a bit of recon.

I live within riding distance (30 min) of the fells, which is pretty tame but I like it. all the awesome trails are hiking trails so you pick your battles.

If you've never been to lynn woods, I suggest you take a day, hop on the commuter rail to lynn, ride out and sample some of that. It has almost everything you could ask for in a trail system.oppinions like kittens
    • CommentAuthormindchalk
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2008

down near leverett pond there's a nice little setup of backwoods trails. nothing too intense...its just a park you won't get kicked out of...out of true.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrunop
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008 edited

the fells. the blue hills. vietnam.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2008

Guess i just need to suck it up and ride out to them if I wana ride. I'm gonna check out leverett pond today just because its right near my school. I forgot lynn woods was near the commuter rail, thanks for the tips. Keep em coming if anyone knows any other nice lines here and there in the city.Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    • CommentAuthorsuperb

The Middlesex Fells Res (the Fells) has trails, and is just off the Oak Grove stop on the Orange line.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex

Yeah been to the fells its nice there. I hadn't realize the T was right there. That before 7 after 7 and between 10 and 4 policy for taking bikes on the T still stands for weekdays on the orange line right?Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    • CommentAuthorsuperb

^ I think so. I've only taken my bike on the T on weekends though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2008

http://www.raysmtb.com/

why is it that every time i look anything up about biking in cleveland, i regret ever leaving it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgregwhits

they did an interesting downhill/slalom style race at races a week or so ago, looks like it was fun.
    pete! gigantic:http://www.raysmtb.com/

why is it that every time i look anything up about biking in cleveland, i regret ever leaving it.

because you're delusional and suffering from amnesia. cleveland?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Shelby

they have accessible cyclocross races too (meaning not have to drive 2+ hours, and camp out over night), like a race in a park downtown. a whole series of them actually (though most are in the suburbs).
    • CommentAuthorMcDonald
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2008

Yo Marc, I drive out to Blue Hills and Wompatuck about once a week to go trail riding with my dog (who goes in a trailer because of impending knee surgery). You'd be on your own for riding (because the trailer doesn't do single track, or does it?! Ha No), but you are welcome to bum the ride and throw your bike on top of the car both ways. I am usually there for 2 hours, plus or minus with weather and light.

I'd be willing to bring a few other people, if you guys wanted to decide on a date (or a regular date, like first Sunday of the month or something) to come with me to either place.
    •  
      CommentAuthordrags

Oh wompy, the scene of many of a forgotten night in my youth.

Also if people need to get to blue hills but don't have cars, taking the commuter rail to route-128 station puts you about a 5 mile ride from the blue hills (museum and ski area side) and probably a shorter ride to wompatuck.cdrebbel: STOP TYPING 'BREAKS' YOU FUCKTARDS. YOU HAVE NO CREDIBILITY.
    • CommentAuthorbluedog

I generally go the fells on saturday for some singletrack if anyone wants to come as well. I've got room for 2-3 other folks and their bikes in my car.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    • CommentAuthorDrscumphd
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008

Dude I'm so in if your goin riding on sat
    • CommentAuthorOld Guy
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2008 edited

Yes, Hammond Pond Reservation and across into Webster Conservation area.
    It's close and you'll find more times you can go and learn all the footpaths once you figure out the dirt roads.
    Gatehouse Road (off Beacon near the reservoir @ St. Thomas More RD) R Essex, L Hammond ST, R Suffolk RD, Clovelly RD you'll see the path entrance at Old English RD and go cross the Green Line (WARNING!) and you're in.
    Webster on the other side of Hammond - either back of synagogue parking lot or cross Hammond Pkwy (scary at times) from the road that parallels the Green Line in the res. You may have to carry your bike down a slope but the trail continues on the other side.

Try the bigger Cutler Park in Needham, not that far via Newton and Brookline, through Nahanton Park off Winchester Street via Cypress/Parker/Dedham/Rachel from Newton CTR. Not as hilly/rocky as Hammond, more woodsy fast.
    But I think there are some structures in there.

Through Nahanton Park then to Nahanton Road, cross the river into Needham- go into Cutler Park.

Some areas in Belmont, side streets (Marlboro to Royal to Arcadia) off Trapelo Road west of Mill Street (past Beaver Brook) and south of Concord.

Oh.. but those are lame - good with my 1989 full rigid bike. Probably B-O-R-I-N-G with yours.
    Except maybe small parts of Webster and Hammond.

Let's see... from Belmont Center, take Pleasant Street west (Rte. 60) take a right on Snake Hill Road (steep) and follow the path into the woods. There are some trails in there with some drops, a jump or two and structures, but I don't know if anyone's really maintaining them. The part of the woods that parallels Rte 60 will have the grades with terrain (some rocks, trees, drops) that would be more fun for you. There could be more in there, people ride there regularly.

Check bikely.com and NEMBA, too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSoft T-Rex
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008

bluedog:I generally go the fells on saturday for some singletrack if anyone wants to come as well. I've got room for 2-3 other folks and their bikes in my car.

Not sure if this saturday is great for me but I'll let you know and if the weather holds and you go next weekend I would be down.

McDonald:
    I'd be willing to bring a few other people, if you guys wanted to decide on a date (or a regular date, like first Sunday of the month or something) to come with me to either place.

I would definatly be down with having a regular monthly ride. We would just all have to settel on a date and we could all pool for gas. Don't know how soon this would work with winter on its way but its worth a shot.Hey, aren't you a dinosaur?
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2008 edited

So here's the deal: weather is supposed to be shitty friday into saturday, so I'm no longer planning to ride on saturday. Sunday will be a definite ride as a friend of mine is getting a new bike this weekend. I'm also thinking of riding tomorrow morning because work is starting at 10am instead of 7:30. I'm on the fence because this means I'll definitely get caught in rush hour on the way back, but if anyone wants to go and can suggest a route back that won't be affected by rush hour, I'll do it.

Also, I try to go riding every weekend, so any time anyone wants to come, just speak up.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    • CommentAuthorbluedog
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008

so my car is dead which is why I haven't mentioned anything about any rides here for the past week or two, since I haven't been able to get to any trails. I'm spending more time doing urban riding on my DJ bike (mostly jumping off stuff since it's heavy as hell) so if anyone wants to hang out and do some street riding speak up. Also, if anyone wants to teach me trials moves, or even just help me work on good bunny hops and such, I'll buy the first round.that's when I reach for my revovler...
    • CommentAuthorslowski
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2008

hey bluedog, whereabouts do you live? I live over by sullivan square and usually muck about up and around somerville high/highland ave/tufts on weeknights and do all my fells riding without car assistance. my bike is neither a drop machine or a bunnyhop styler, but I can turn any park/hill into a slalom course and do some basic trials stuff on it. I have a handfull of rad lines up in my area but maybe we could meet halfway and piss off some groundskeepers or something.

I'm going to be switching around some parts on some bikes soon so I may be able to come up with a street machine or some other mutant configuration as my trials bike has sat disassembled since august.

anyway, I'm down for some riding sometime soon.If at first you don't succeed... you fail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2010

Bump.

I'm gonna go ride Cutler tomorrow, anyone want in?Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

when?
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

I'm off all day. I was thinking of going in the morning to avoid some of the heat, if there's heat.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
      CommentAuthorkjelgaard

If you go out to Ipswich there are a lot of really good trails around there... Bradley Palmer park has some good riding, and the area around Hood Pond in Boxford has about 20 miles of trails. Around the reservation land in Ipswich there's around 100 miles of trails all over... you just have to be willing to explore a lot.http://www.fanfiction.net/s/800170/1/EVANGELION_NEXUS
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010

^^bah, at work. "if there's heat"...come on now!

^i did a race in ipswich, it was fun. twisty. definitely twisty, polar opposite of the fells.
    • CommentAuthortristan

Looks like the commuter line hits ipswich. This means that I am probably gonna go exploring this weekend. Got any trailheads to hit?ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    i used to have trails on mission hill...
    i have lots of dirt scuplting experience and i am always down to dig.

nothing like roasting around a huuuuge tall berm
    Moved from a related thread:
    lemondparty:this thread reminded me how much fun off roading it is...
    anyone wanna build a pump track/roller track in jp along the river way there?
    i think i heard there was one before...but like bmx racer style

Behind my house is a long stretch of land that is on a hill, and perfect for this sort of thing. I'd love to see some sore of track on it. Though the land is behind folks houses, it's not really trespassing to be on it, as it's buffer land for the commuter rail. Kids party back there all the time and no one seems to bother them, sooo. . . why not?

It would be perfect for a pump track. Perfect.

[:|][all your base are belong to us]
    well if thats the case then cool. make sure to get a couple neighbors as allies so if someone gives you shit they will have your back to explain its ok.

my trails on mission behind my house got plowed by this asshole. he rented a bob cat and tore them down.

what they dont get is that i went through that whole area cleaned all the trash up nd removed all the broken glass...

they kept saying it was going to attract attention when thats not the case at all... you have to ask the digger alway before you ride them....plus these jumps were pretty decent so kids couldnt ride them.

what im trying to say is never underestimate the mind of a neighbor with too much money.

pick a date to have a dig party and im down to help out.
    ^Wow, that sucks. . . though I can imagine the neighbors perspective. Too bad I won't be living at that place for too much longer. However, some discrete trails could be installed that would be totally invisible from those houses, buuut I expect that most of them would not like it.

•  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

what about the semi-downhill pump track that's already in JP? Some northeastern kids built it, and I think it's pretty well maintained.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i'm still trying to figure out how seriously to take lemondparty, but i think the answer is "not very". as far as i know, helltrack is alive and well after the fenway pump track got bulldozed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorxbobeahenx

ok, glad to know helltrack is still doin it.Except our own thoughts, there is nothing absolutely in our power.
    • CommentAuthorgc

fenway dirt jumps were the best until the mtba had to seize that land.gone
    im seriously not serious or am i?how many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop? idk!

yeah fenway is for flatland now.

i laughed... the tree ride is still there....

i spent years of digging there then gave up. every day you needed to water bucket them or they would go to sand. when i was 16 i was there sun up to sun down sweeping water up them and refacing the lips.then i made some behind a fence....also had a ramp complex in my yard made of construction materials.... love riding me a big ol' tranny.
    the top of the hill sort of has a track but its like jumps with out landings...very preschool like a ply wood plank and a cinder block.i should make them waves into a berm that connects to a table so errr body can try it out and eat shit.
    • CommentAuthortristan
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2010

Looking to go for a ride and camp this weekend. Thinking Wompatuck because I know whats there (and that they have a decent campground). Would be cool to have some company. Get dirty.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    • CommentAuthortristan

Harold Parker compilation from some dudeascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

i would definitely go for a wompy daytrip, but camping would be out.
    ratattack:i would definitely go for camping, but a wompy daytrip would be out.
    joeyfresh, MPH: Clearly you've never met Shah. Motherfucker could eat 2700lbs on the spot and then carry the other half.
    • CommentAuthortristan

^^If you've got access to a vehicle (and room for me), I'd be up for a day trip. I just don't want to commuter-line my butt out there for a single day's ride.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    Well, all the above could have happened via my car had someone responded to my post Monday.
    But, I've made alternative plans.

•  
      CommentAuthorratattack

what post?
    • CommentAuthortristan

^^ Didnt really feel like going up to Snow, which was the extent of your post as I understood it. Past that, I barely have the coordination to plan two days ahead, let alone five.ascott430 - "Was going to build it up into a fixed gear until I realized I'd rather spend money and time on mountain bikes."
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack

oh, right. that post. you didn't respond to mine. i legitimately needed a ride to kingdom trails. :)
    ^^Yeah, yeah. . .

^Same for you Ms Sparky.

<3[:|]E>[all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorratattack
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2010

what? they're both in VT, right? we could have gone camping and riding alllll weekend long.
    Yeah, we coulda'! There is still time to make it happen before the all consuming CYCLOCROSS SEASON.[all your base are belong to us]
    Check out the Arboretum
    Wow, surprised nobody mentioned Stony Brook Reservation in Boston. 475 acres of forest and some very challenging single tracks.

I also second leverett pond and the dirt trails run up to Perkins Street on the North side of Jamaica Pond.