Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited

Take it to Sassy over at Revolution. He had my frame for less than two hours and the seatpost is out. After weeks of wrangling with the other bike shop. Lesson learned, go to Revolution if you have any similar problem.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    •  
      CommentAuthor0x000000
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007

oh man, i cut a stuck seatpost out of my frame last summer. hacksaw blade, duct tape, needlenose pliers, and very sore hands. it was like removing the fucking excalibur from the stone.what does he commute to clowntown on that thing
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

Yeah, I'd tried doing that but the post was about thirteen inches in, and I couldn't get the blade to cut all the way down. It's pretty clear that Sassy James Norton is the King Arthur of broken seatposts.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    Fuck yeah man, glad to hear you finally got that resolved. Throw some risers on that bad larry and show up for the tricks night!Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhowl

Good to hear you're back on wheels!

I hear that james' seatpost removal technique is a lot like making sausage- you enjoy the final product, but really don't want to see it being done.Troglodytarum is latin for troll
    • CommentAuthorgc

lemme guess: cambridge bicycle is the "other" shop in question?gone
    •  
      CommentAuthorkaryatid

was this the seatpost where they heated it and got it stuck even worse? (from the old forum)?
    I had the seatpost in my Cervelo frozen for almost a year. Was usable, but wouldn't budge. Finally got it loose a couple weeks before moving up here.clockwork ted: this is my favorite thread. sweet BJ alexi!
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

Yes, it's the very same seat post from the old forum. I'm not trying to call out the other bike shop. Hopefully they'll resolve the issue with me in a professional manner. But I did want to call attention to the successful, if terrifying, methods of Revolution James. Incidentally, he won't reveal his method. But I do know it doesn't involve soaking in any solvents for weeks, because I didn't do that, and neither did the other bike shop. And, as I mentioned, James only had the frame for two hours. Frankly, I'm just glad I'll be able to ride that piece of crap again.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    •  
      CommentAuthorpapi

I'm gonna guess brute force was involved.

buy srsly, i had a cartridge bearing shell stuck in a hub, took it one shop which held it for a week and gave it back without fixing it, went to another and they told me to dump it, went to james and five minutes later(he made me time it) it was out.I'm going to eat your brain and gain your knowledge
    •  
      CommentAuthorstickyfoot

It's not just a brute force issue; it's about getting the leverage to get it out. And remember, this is a seatpost that was so seized that it snapped off in the process of trying to get it loose when it was whole.

Anyway, what I like about James is he actually cares about doing things like this, where other shops were very quick to give up. Not that they didn't try, obviously. But still. Props to Revolution.MC Chunky Ice in da howse
    james norton has a posse.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeDec 6th 2007 edited

stickyfoot:Yes, it's the very same seat post from the old forum. I'm not trying to call out the other bike shop. Hopefully they'll resolve the issue with me in a professional manner. But I did want to call attention to the successful, if terrifying, methods of Revolution James. Incidentally, he won't reveal his method. But I do know it doesn't involve soaking in any solvents for weeks, because I didn't do that, and neither did the other bike shop. And, as I mentioned, James only had the frame for two hours. Frankly, I'm just glad I'll be able to ride that piece of crap again.

the way i see it is that you can tell just what happened to others, so that we can all "learn(?)" from this. you don't seem like the type to distort the facts: i.e "shop monkeys toally ruined my new njs aerospoke!!111 kill!!11"

it seems pretty straightforwards: shop ignored basic physics- torch on a stuck alu seatpost in a steel frame
    your personal experience may presuade others, much as in a similar way as: "i went to revolution and james hooked me up hes awesome"
    the good and the bad are both equally helpful in a consumer situation such as this- negative experiences such as "x shop didn't do a very good job fixing my bike" are equally helpful as "x shop did a really good job fixing my bike" re: best bikeshop thread- we've got a some from both sides of the coin on that thread, and it is good.

no need to "protect"(?) the shop, but no need to viciously slander them either
    do what you want, just debatin a little

i calls it the way i sees it, and i think jacobs said it best on the old forum: "shop gets an f" (parapharse)

anyways, enjoy riding your resurrected bike. its always nice when something works out with minimal fuss ans such. jus a little innernet debating, thats all.gone
    Now get your ass to some Sunday Sprint Night next month![all your base are belong to us]
    •  
      CommentAuthorjacobs

le lion couchant:i think jacobs said it best on the old forum: "shop gets an f" (parapharse)

to clarify, i like the cambridge bikes folks just fine, although i don't have much any experience with the service department at any shop.
    James Norton is a douche!WWJD
    •  
      CommentAuthorPanameM
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2008

stickyfoot:Take it to Sassy over at Revolution.

hey, how much time and money would this take?
    i have an old fuji steel frame w/ a stuck seatpost. for a while ive been considering either sawing it off or bbringing it to a t=store to get it unstuck. id really like tp be able to ride with this frame.
    back bay gave me a really high price and it just see,med like cambridge couldnt do anything more.snow
    You should ask the man himself, because it depends on how badly it's seized.Word nerd
    bring it to Revolution, I love stuck metal!!WWJD
    The seatposts free themselves after Sassy's onslaught of fierce riffs. Pure metal!

Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthoraarn
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008

mr. sassy, i need to bring you some metal to unstick...just haven't had time. my knees are killing me.(moscow)
    note how the metal kids were wearing the high-top dunks before they (dunks) were hip as shit.Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    See, I tried submitting my frozen seatpost to repeat listenings to The Cure, but no amount of weeping would loosen it.Word nerd
    all it takes is a little Megadeth and seatposts are flying everywhere!Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthorjohnderson

One night only: Seatpost Release Tour feat:
    Megadeth/In Flames/Children of Bodom/Job For a Cowboy
    @ Palladium
    any chance you can get me in for free?Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    • CommentAuthorjohnderson

I wish I could get myself in for free.
    If you end up getting tickets tho I may be driving down to see it and can give rides.
    ha, I was going to offer a ride to you... the ticket price is a little high although the only band on there I don't want to see is Children of BodomPh'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
    it's like the jar or pickles with a stuck lid. the previous attempts may have loosened it but it was that last try by james that finally did it... maybe. or maybe dude's a wiz. i know i've fixed failures from every shop and i know i've given up where other's have succeeded.fuck your fixed gear project
    Heh, you said pickle.Word nerd
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008

I don't know about the loosening theory for sure. I had a stuck post, and four shops tried, and then threw in the towel. Then I went to a different shop, and four guys wrestled with my bike for nearly an hour before the post came out. If the previous four shops loosened it at all, then it should have popped right out with many people on the job.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    you don't send me flowers anymoreWWJD
    •  
      CommentAuthorBuckley!

You don't seem the flowers type.The kid's gotta learn that the game never lets up.
    •  
      CommentAuthortravisW

alexi gigantic:as was robert smith
    i don't think those are dunks, i think they are the short Uggsboooyah
    Oh, I'm the flower type. I'm eating one right nowWWJD
    having your period?WWJD
    •  
      CommentAuthorMungoRocks
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2008

Oldschool Rookie:Oh, I'm the flower type. I'm eating one right now

my secret shame!dongpincher 1000

Anyone got a can?
    • CommentAuthormindchalk
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010

PanameM:
    stickyfoot:Take it to Sassy over at Revolution.

hey, how much time and money would this take?
    i have an old fuji steel frame w/ a stuck seatpost. for a while ive been considering either sawing it off or bbringing it to a t=store to get it unstuck. id really like tp be able to ride with this frame.
    back bay gave me a really high price and it just see,med like cambridge couldnt do anything more.

have you tried using a knife?out of true.
    • CommentAuthorgc
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2010

^^ i do.gone
    • CommentAuthorDrscumphd
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2010

in my experience there is no sure magic trick to this some come out some don't. There are several methods to going about taking stuck seat posts out but I feel like most of it is luck
    wanna know why sassy is so good at fixing bikes?

from what i remember he used to ride bmx and like most of those people they learn how to fix everything.