Not signed in (Sign In)

Category Filter

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.8 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015

WTB Shimano 3x9 mtb shifters like the Deore M590's, used/cheap is good."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    • CommentAuthorvox_pop
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015

Nandy:Depends, is it for a blue and white Nishiki?
    Here's a sweet hard ano rim on ebay: link

Haha, of course! That one does look nice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015 edited

I thought about it some more, and I think I can part with that wheel I was going to let you borrow. Rich at Community gave it to me for free, and it's stupid for me to hold onto it for the unlikely chance I mess up my other one (it's just been sitting in storage, I've never touched it), and I could always build one if I need to. I could bring it downtown or you could pick it up in east somerville"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2015

Slingshot folding frame. I saw one in the wild for the first time today (in Northampton) and I AM IN LOVE.

photo p_00052_zpstqli7c77.jpg
     photo p_00053_zpspeg3u3ra.jpg::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Actual WTB: road tire, not thrashed (ie: won't give me continuous flats, like the shitty tire on my bike right now). 700c x 23, please and thank you.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

^^ "Sling Shot debuted at the annual industry trade show. During set-up hours, a person identified (by his I.D. badge) as Tom Ritchey happened by the Sling Shot booth, took one look at the bikes and announced: “That will never work”. Well we brothers of flex often wonder: Mr. Tom Ritchey, how do your words taste now?In fact as history is played out, this unusual design makes some serious notions regarding suspension and bicycles as a truly valid and lovely union."

lol"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

Also:
    Looks like they're desperate to get rid of these"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Just what I've always wanted, a spring-loaded dick whip aimed decidedly junkward.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015 edited

Based on my grade-school level geometry skills, I would think that a failure in the spring would cause the dick whip to hit the floor, not your junk, no?

Andy, those ERB's look like the Vilano of dick whips. And I'm really only interested in them for the folding aspect, anyway, which ERB doesn't seem to offer.
    ETA: Hmm, maybe not. Looks like it's a new company from the same guy, and he is just desperate to get rid of them. But they don't fold (well, not intentionally, anyway.)::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Recoil, sir. Have you considered recoil??

EDIT: Also, who's to say the spring would be the failure point?Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2015

Does that one fold? I thought that piece by the seat clamp was the flex plate."life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Yeah, the one I saw in Northampton yesterday folds. Click the second pic I took of the yellow bike to zoom in and you'll see there's a quick release near the flex plate. http://www.slingshotbikes.com/technology-foldtech.php

Well, the failure point is going to be either the spring and its anchor points to the cable and headtube, the flex plate, or the place where the dick whip is anchored to the bottom bracket. It sure as hell isn't the cable itself -- they build bridges out of that shit.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    nerdo:Actual WTB: road tire, not thrashed (ie: won't give me continuous flats, like the shitty tire on my bike right now). 700c x 23, please and thank you.

Yo Rob, I have a new not-in-package Michelin Pro3. It still has the rubber band. I bought it years ago and then never used it...you can have it for $20?Naaaah, too uncool for the #messlyfe. I just like to hang out in loading docks and pretend to talk on my radio so that people will like me. - Mfratt
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

^Sold! Whisper me deets on how/where I can pick up from you.

^^I'm just happy I got you to type "dick whip" multiple times.

Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky

Oh, you also got me to google "slingshot bike penis amputation". Fortunately, that didn't yield a single relevant result.

I am totally going to buy one of these and name it the "Dick Whip".::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

dude if someone asked me "alex, what is the worst tire i could put on my bike?" i'd say "a new old stock pro3 in 23c"

save the $20 and buy a boot to kick yourself in the crotch with
    what about an NOS 2009 conti ultra sport? that gets my worst tire vote. but at least it's not claiming to be "pro".You said time was infinite, so why the watch wrapped around your wrist?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

guys, listen to alex. take my set of USED old stock pro3 in 23c.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

that's the problem, pro3s are expensive and marketed as good quality tires, ultra sports are not. michelin tires also age far worse than contis
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

nerdo, you also were looking for a tire that wouldn't give you continuous flats. you have chosen a tire that will
    •  
      CommentAuthorNandy

rock dathe, what is your professional opinion on Vittoria Rubino pros?"life is hard, cats are soft." - surprisefries
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

my professional opinion is BUY THE MOST EXPENSIVE SHIT WE HAVE IN STOCK SO MY BOSS WILL BE HAPPY
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

but i think that flat protective tires are not vittoria's strong suit. vittoria makes very supple ultra-high tpi tires well but their roubaix type tires are only so-so
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015

You guys are crazy people. Literally any tire will be better than the current tire with the giant hole in the sidewall (Vittoria, go figure...they came free with the wheels).

Someday maybe I'll work in a bike shop for a living and know every tire by its name and spirit animal, as Alex does. If that ever happens, I do hope I'll be less of an elitist dickwad with my newfound knowledge.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

@rubino pros: i've had good experience with two sets of rubino pros. they're a decent option for the 650c life. aren't much else to choose from.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

is a tire with a guaranteed future hole better than one with a present hole...? #pewpthoughts #holesahole
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Nuggetross:is a tire with a guaranteed future hole better than one with a present hole...? #pewpthoughts #holesahole

This is more zen than I can handle.

Irony of ironies: changed the tire last night, got a flat this morning on the rim side. Gah! Next step, replace rim tape. Nothing like multiple variables to troubleshoot.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie

Any tire that gets ridden has guaranteed future holes if it is ridden long enough...
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

i dont want to read through all this but does everyone still ride gatorskins in the city or is there something better out there?MUFFDVR
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorgie
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2015 edited

for commuting I ride anything with some flat protection that is readily available at a good cost. Gatorskins are never my first choice, but right now my commuter does have 700x32 gatorskins.
    • CommentAuthorMJ

nerdo:
    Nuggetross:is a tire with a guaranteed future hole better than one with a present hole...? #pewpthoughts #holesahole

This is more zen than I can handle.

Irony of ironies: changed the tire last night, got a flat this morning on the rim side. Gah! Next step, replace rim tape. Nothing like multiple variables to troubleshoot.

Had that happen a while back on a pair of weinmann dp18's; little did I know that the rim was just too narrow for anything but 23's.

fmradio516:i dont want to read through all this but does everyone still ride gatorskins in the city or is there something better out there?

I've been a fan of armadillos for the past few years; outside of my own stupidity and jumping a curb too quick, I can't remember the last time I had a flat with the pair I've had for the past year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNuggetross

*hot dogs* *popcorn*

also @morgan, that was the most #morgan answer i've ever read.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz

Now that I can no longer get the Simple Living Cycles special on Gatorskins I see no reason to buy them again."Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."
    •  
      CommentAuthorfmradio516

SameMUFFDVR
    • CommentAuthorgc

i like the gatorskin 28s for city use, actually measure like 26 or so. i don't like the 23 or 25 gatorskins, 28 is the sweet spot.

fuck armadillos. the ride is what i'd imagine a tire made out of garden hose would feel like.

currently riding some vittoria voyager hyper 35s, pretty sweet. they just about max out the clearance on my bike with the p45 fenders on it.gone
    I still ride 25 gatorskins because i dunno, other than that I've had them on for a couple years and haven't flatted and they're still in fine condition.DFL and DTF :D:D:D:D
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Conclusion: new rim tape solved the problem (for now).

Now what the hell do I do about this seized seatpost???? (Yes, my bike is crustpunk.)Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorMJ

nerdo:Conclusion: new rim tape solved the problem (for now).

Now what the hell do I do about this seized seatpost???? (Yes, my bike is crustpunk.)

Depends on the frame/seatpost material.

Here's a bunch of different ways/issues.

http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

personally, on my IRO; I had a stuck aluminum seatpost, steel frame. Force, heat, ammonia, try to file down the seatpost didn't work. Had to use lye to dissolve what was left of the post out, and no issue. Lye is the nuclear option when it's a steel frame with aluminum seatpost, but it does most certainly work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

I'm only a dick because I love you
    •  
      CommentAuthorrock dathe

You don't even want to know what I think about stuck seatpost extraction
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015

MJF:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/stuck-seatposts.html

For method #5 -- mounting the top of the seatpost in a vise and twisting the bike by the frame itself for huge leverage -- I have had luck with a press-fit seatpost clamp (that simply spun in the press-fitting when the clamp was held in the vise) by bypassing the clamp altogether, by filing down the sides of the post with a bench grinder to create flats in the post itself for the vise to grip. This of course destroys the seatpost, but if the next thing you're going to try is #12 (internal hacksaw blade) or #14 (lye), try this first. You get huge leverage this way, so be careful not to twist so hard that you bend the frame itself. You can twist pretty damn hard without danger of that, though. I did this with a tandem and damn, that was *enormous* leverage.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015 edited

^^ Alex, I *totally* want to know what you think about stuck seatpost extraction. The more dickish, the better. More dick = more love.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

Why are we always talking about dick love here?

Said seatpost is stuck in a ti frame and definitely had been ti-prepped. I don't have a vise but am perfectly happy destroying the seatpost, since the clamp is cracked anyway. Should I proceed directly to CO2? I've ridden almost 20 miles on this thing with the clamp unsecured, following the advise of one bike shop dude. No slippage.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorMJ

nerdo:Why are we always talking about dick love here?

Said seatpost is stuck in a ti frame and definitely had been ti-prepped. I don't have a vise but am perfectly happy destroying the seatpost, since the clamp is cracked anyway. Should I proceed directly to CO2? I've ridden almost 20 miles on this thing with the clamp unsecured, following the advise of one bike shop dude. No slippage.

Ti in Ti?
    •  
      CommentAuthorpocky
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2015 edited

Yeah, try a C02 cartridge on the seatpost/seattube as he suggests in method #11. But also try #9-10: I disbelieve that the fact that aluminum expands faster than steel or titanium actually matters here -- the point is to "shock" the materials into breaking their corrosive seal, and it doesn't really matter which one is expanding faster than the other as long as there is some shock, so even with Al inside Ti, a teakettle full of boiling water poured directly on the seattube or poured into the bottom bracket with the bike upside down, or the torch method, may work even if dry ice or C02 don't.

Make sure you try also try putting Kroil, The Oil That Creeps, in the seatclamp ears which you've pried apart slightly with a screwdriver (method #3).
    You can also try pouring Kroil into the seattube through the bottom bracket with the bike upside down, but you may need to use a lot of Kroil in order to fill the hollow inside of the post so it swims above the bottommost part of the post and can creep down the sides of the post between the post and the seattube. If it's an aluminum post, as he says in #8, you could also try pouring ammonia into the seattube rather than Kroil, but remember it won't penetrate like Kroil.::lols at Dan's great photoshopping job:: ::slowly stops laughing:: ::googles:: ::kills self:: -tinyhonkshus
    •  
      CommentAuthornerdo

MJF:

Said seatpost is stuck in a ti frame and definitely had been ti-prepped. I don't have a vise but am perfectly happy destroying the seatpost, since the clamp is cracked anyway. Should I proceed directly to CO2? I've ridden almost 20 miles on this thing with the clamp unsecured, following the advise of one bike shop dude. No slippage.

Ti in Ti?

Al in Ti.Worstcase I'll just zip tie on a seat... but i'd rather not. —Zev (who else)
    • CommentAuthorMJ

nerdo:
    MJF:

Ti in Ti?

Al in Ti.

Kroil/pb blaster first, if that doesn't loosen it up ammonia would be the next thing to try in order to break down the aluminum oxide that is binding the two. Lye reacts with titanium, so I'd cross that off the list.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgastronomin
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015 edited

rock dathe:You don't even want to know what I think about stuck seatpost extraction

yes, yes I do.and then the time will come when you add up the numbers
    • CommentAuthorroburrito
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015

Kroil/pb blaster are designed to dissolve rust from steel. Ammonia dissolves aluminum oxidation. But it doesn't work if it can't penetrate. You can melt the aluminum post out with caustic soda, but I don't know how it reacts with titanium. Hacksaw blade is slow, but it works. That how I got mine out. Just have to make sure you don't cut into the frame.A few spokes shy of a wheel.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6kidz
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2015

WTB crappy 27.2 seatpost and crappy 25.4 riser bars preferably silver, please and thank you"Dude's just smashing fructosenormativity, lay off."